HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The I'm Nervous Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post

I'm sorry Inferno, you're a good poster, but this blatantly wrong.

The exact opposite is the truth. I don't care if it is one game.

Gabs hasn't shown any skill for almost all season. We got back great return, for actually "glassman" ...

As of today we are a better team, if we beat the Pit again on friday it is carved in stone.
Carved in stone after two games?

Other things that will now be carved in stone after two games:

Vezina winners, Calder winners, Stanley Cup winners, etc.

Edit: Hilarious that Gaborik is back to a glassman, with no skill. Thanks for your two 40g seasons Gabby. They are clearly appreciated.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad London Ranger View Post
yes better than last week for sure, not better than last year.

My issue is and continues with Slats.

Pascal Dupuis for Alex Bourret (who) comes to mind!
He's playing with Crosby and used to be healthy scratch material without him.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad London Ranger View Post
It is a Nash for Gabby trade we should have done last summer without giving up
Dubi, Erixon and Anisimov who are on the whole better and more proven than Dorsett, Brassard and More.

the Jury is still out - one game doesn't a playoff run make.

When we go to the SC semifinals then we can say we improved the team. I am sceptical.
Dubi Erixon and AA are better and more proven than Dorsett, Brassard and Moore? How?

People have some serious selective memory with Dubi. He has 1 goal this year after fighting it so much last year. That's worrying. Dorsett is a downgrade from him, yeah, but it's fairly obvious that Clowe is the Dubi replacement and he's a solid upgrade IMO. Brassard and AA isn't a big difference at all, neither is Erixon and Moore.

Also, the idea was to have Nash and Gabby together. You don't know it doesn't work until you try it.

I'm very happy with the trade the more I think about it. I'll miss the Gabby we saw last year but I'm not confident he'll be that player again.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I find it funny that whenever a player has a breakout performance and the media asks Torts about it, his answer is usually "I told him to keep it simple, just go out and play."

Kreider last year in the playoffs. Brassard and Moore last night. Clowe.

Torts is aware that he overcoaches. He's said so himself. He just can't help himself sometimes.
I asked this in the PGT and didn't get an answer.

Who did Torts ruin? Kreider is the only example I can think of and there are equally plausible explanations for his change in play that have nothing to do with Torts. He came into the NHL on a team with a huge head of steam after being and NCAA champion. His confidence was through the roof and he played well. Most of the games this year, he looked tentative and unsure of himself - I don't think that's a coaching issue personally.

Beyond that - who slowed down drastically under Torts? Prust went from an extra forward to one of the best bottom 6 wings in the game. McD stepped into the NHL and became a first pairing D man in a season. MDZ put up a great offensive season last year. Stepan is looking incredible so far. Gaborik had two 40 goal season. Nash is almost PPG...

Where is this idea coming from exactly?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Yeah I'm sure there is virtually no market for 40g scorers once removed, cap hit be damned. Player value is always based solely on current production.

Talk about embarrassing posts.
Please, name some teams that would be interested in him and that we would be willing to trade to. Then, list what you think they'd give up for him.

I'll be waiting.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

The new product might go back to sucking, yeah, but at least theres a chance they dont. Last weeks team sucked and showed no signs of being a consistent winner.

And im not blaming gaborik for that, but being top heavy just wasnt working

04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
pld459666

Here's how I look at it.

Torts was playing Gaborik on the LW, it wasn't working. Gabby was not going to supplant Nash who is more impactful on a game to game basis even when he's not putting up points or Callahan. When Gabby isn't scoiring, he's damn near invisible.

The Rangers needed a few things desperately. Grit at the forward position, be that top 6 or bottom 6. They needed an offensively capable 3rd line center and they needed a steady defenceman that will round out the three pairs when Staal gets back.

They addressed the grit with Clowe who can play a top 6 role and Dorsett who can play a bottom 6 role.

They addressed the 3rd line center with Brassard. While not as good defensvely, he's worlds better for that spot than Boyle is.

They addressed defence with Moore as well.

All they gave up off the main roster was Gaborik.

That's a good deadline day.

The picks are not going to negatively impact anything the Rangers do over the next 3+ years so their loss is marginal at best.

I know that this is a Hockeys FUTURE message board, but the truth is that the loss of those picks will not harm the Rangers long term.

The Rangers today, are deeper and tougher to play against.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Malarowski

Younger, too.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I disagree. The teams that win are the deep teams, the ones that have a bunch of players scoring 20+. Yeah, it's great to have a guy who can score 40, but it isn't necessary. None of the last 4 cup winners had one.

Last year we were 11th in scoring. This year we were dead last before last night, and that after adding a 30 goal scorer in Nash.

It just doesn't make sense to have a top heavy team. Not with the salary cap. Pay more for guys who score more goals, pay less for everyone else and they score less goals, and you end up with a team that is easily shut down by a good defensive team. When you have depth, scoring can come from anywhere, and you are much harder to shut down.
This...if our struggles through 3 rounds of the playoffs should have taught us anything it's how important balanced scoring is.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:54 PM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
To be honest, I think we're looking at an upgraded version of what we had last year

Clowe>Dubi
Brass>Artie
Nash>Gaborik
Dorsset could be compared to Prust. Less penalty killing prowess, more offensive skill
Pyatt<Feds
Zucc>Mitchell
Moore>Bickel

We tried to take the team in a more top heavy offensive direction, and it didn't work. It looks like we're going back to the two way type of players that work for us.
I strongly disagree with some of these. Here is how mine would go and if you have any rebuttals, I would love to debate this.

Clowe>Dubinsky
Anisimov>Brassard ( Defensive awareness, size, AND silky smooth finesse, as well as a cannon)
Gaborik>Nash (Once again, the number don't lie, Gaborik is a better goal scorer, on top of having a much higher career +/-, which isn't all that telling, but at least shows you how much offense is produced when Gaborik is on the ice. Nash is a better 1 on 1 player, and is more physical, but he takes lazy penalties when things don't go his way, and he is pretty bad defensively, not that Gaborik is good on that side, but Nash can be flat out horrible sometimes.
Dorsett>Prust
Mitchell>Zuccarello (Remains to be seen,but look at the numbers Johnny Malkin in putting up with extra ice-time this year. VERY underrated player. Zucs can turn out to be a hell of a little playmaker, but the safer bet is with Mitchell. Size, defense, great hands in close, heavy shot, grit.
Fedotenko>Pyatt
Moore>>Bickel

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Here's how I look at it.

Torts was playing Gaborik on the LW, it wasn't working. Gabby was not going to supplant Nash who is more impactful on a game to game basis even when he's not putting up points or Callahan. When Gabby isn't scoiring, he's damn near invisible.

The Rangers needed a few things desperately. Grit at the forward position, be that top 6 or bottom 6. They needed an offensively capable 3rd line center and they needed a steady defenceman that will round out the three pairs when Staal gets back.

They addressed the grit with Clowe who can play a top 6 role and Dorsett who can play a bottom 6 role.

They addressed the 3rd line center with Brassard. While not as good defensvely, he's worlds better for that spot than Boyle is.

The picks are not going to negatively impact anything the Rangers do over the next 3+ years so their loss is marginal at best.

I know that this is a Hockeys FUTURE message board, but the truth is that the loss of those picks will not harm the Rangers long term.

Your list exists in the first place because of the guy who made those 'great' deadline deals yesterday. After 13 years we had horrible depth at the NHL level, but now all is fixed by the guy who created those holes ! Who did he fill those holes with, all stars? How about overachievers? No thats not right either. Spin the wheels, spin the wheels.....

And that garbage about the draft picks is very much in line of the major problems in the first place, afterall, picks have $#$%#%$ percentage of making the NHL, lets trade them all, thats the high percebtage logic ! Genius.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
RangersChamps2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Here's how I look at it.

I agree totally with this. With the newer, younger and tougher guys, we'll be a better team. I with Dorsett was healthy cause I think he'd be awesome for the playoffs. But next year we'll get to see him wreck havoc.

RangersChamps2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post
I strongly disagree with some of these. Here is how mine would go and if you have any rebuttals, I would love to debate this.

Clowe>Dubinsky
Anisimov>Brassard ( Defensive awareness, size, AND silky smooth finesse, as well as a cannon)
Gaborik>Nash (Once again, the number don't lie, Gaborik is a better goal scorer, on top of having a much higher career +/-, which isn't all that telling, but at least shows you how much offense is produced when Gaborik is on the ice. Nash is a better 1 on 1 player, and is more physical, but he takes lazy penalties when things don't go his way, and he is pretty bad defensively, not that Gaborik is good on that side, but Nash can be flat out horrible sometimes.
Dorsett>Prust
Mitchell>Zuccarello (Remains to be seen,but look at the numbers Johnny Malkin in putting up with extra ice-time this year. VERY underrated player. Zucs can turn out to be a hell of a little playmaker, but the safer bet is with Mitchell. Size, defense, great hands in close, heavy shot, grit.
Fedotenko>Pyatt
Moore>>Bickel
Anisimov's size is nearly negligible the way he plays. He has a very nice wrist shot, if you have 20 seconds to let him get it off, and yes, he's better defensively.

Brassard's numbers are typically better, through history, and they're on a similar pace this year (until last night, anyways).

I'm not sold on Mitch over Zucc. at all. Zucc's pure skill has a much higher upside, but it will be deicided in the next few seasons.

We agree apart from those.

Nash is an entirely different player from Gaborik, and in addition to being more valuable (creates his own offense, can play a freewheel or grinding game, can even be used on the PK), his size and skill creates so much room for other players, while Gaborik needed other players to get him the puck. Nash with this talent has 80+ point potential. Additionally, He's less injury prone, 3 years younger, a former Captian.

Gaborik was a hell of a sniper. All indications are that he's lost a step, and he's lost some of his shot. I love the guy, but it's not looking good.

Last edited by Callagraves: 04-04-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:25 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Your list exists in the first place because of the guy who made those 'great' deadline deals yesterday. After 13 years we had horrible depth at the NHL level, but now all is fixed by the guy who created those holes ! Who did he fill those holes with, all stars? How about overachievers? No thats not right either. Spin the wheels, spin the wheels.....

And that garbage about the draft picks is very much in line of the major problems in the first place, afterall, picks have $#$%#%$ percentage of making the NHL, lets trade them all, thats the high percebtage logic ! Genius.
I honestly don't even know what you're getting at with that first paragraph. Is the team's depth not greatly improved now? What could the GM possibly do to please you? We need depth, he gets depth, and gets sarcastic remarks about how its not good enough?

Regarding the picks, you talk as if the franchise has no prospects. They have a lot of solid forwards coming down the line in Miller, Kreider, Fasth, Lindberg, Thomas, MSC, Nieves etc, and now they have Moore on the backend, McIlrath in the AHL and Skjei and Noreau in the pipeline. Should a team never trade a pick under any circumstances? This team's window ends when Hank is done. Considering the current depth, if a pick can be moved for someone who will help now and in the immediate future, that's not a bad idea IMO.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I love Gaborik, but it's clear that either he or Richards had to move now for us to make a playoff attempt and (hopefully) decent run. Nash and Stepan work perfectly together, and they've done so with different wingers too; Hagelin, and now Cally has been great when slotted with them. So that works. Richards-Gaborik wasn't working. Splitting them up and having one or the other on a 3rd line wasn't doing much either. We brought back MZA, and now added Clowe and Brassard. Without comparing talent for talent directly to Gaborik, these guys all bring something to the table and more importantly they change the whole dynamic of the line combinations.

That new dynamic worked last night. Will it continue to work? I think it will. Not to the same level obviously, but I think we're seeing some of what we'll get. Chemistry, good team feeling, and compete level. We needed a shake-up. Hopefully it pays dividends this year, but if not I'm still looking forward to next season. Even if Gabby pots 20 before the season ends in Columbus and 40+ next year, I'd still do this trade right now.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

One thing I will say, I liked what I saw from Moore...he looked like a solid player for us.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Last night was the first time that I felt 3 different rangers lines were legit scoring threats in......**** has to be over a calender year

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
One thing I will say, I liked what I saw from Moore...he looked like a solid player for us.
Dont recall his name being mentioned a lot last night which is a good thing for a dman.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Last night was the first time that I felt 3 different rangers lines were legit scoring threats in......**** has to be over a calender year
Yup.

And even the 4th line had that really good 4th line, forecheck hard, keep the puck deep feel to it.

All lines played excellent.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:21 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Yeah I'm sure there is virtually no market for 40g scorers once removed, cap hit be damned. Player value is always based solely on current production.

Talk about embarrassing posts.
He came out swinging so I get you swinging right back but his point is pretty on target. based on his current performance and cotnract status (hit and next year UFA) the more I think about it the more I am surprised by what we got.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Dont recall his name being mentioned a lot last night which is a good thing for a dman.
I noticed him exactly 3 times and all 3 times he was shooting the puck. Lord knows we need that.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I find it funny that whenever a player has a breakout performance and the media asks Torts about it, his answer is usually "I told him to keep it simple, just go out and play."

Kreider last year in the playoffs. Brassard and Moore last night. Clowe.

Torts is aware that he overcoaches. He's said so himself. He just can't help himself sometimes.
Torts alluded to this a couple of times in the post game. He needs to trust his players more. He preaches how his players should be level-headed. Not getting too high when they are doing well, or too low when they aren't doing well. He needs to take his own advice.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The new product might go back to sucking, yeah, but at least theres a chance they dont. Last weeks team sucked and showed no signs of being a consistent winner.

And im not blaming gaborik for that, but being top heavy just wasnt working
In order to be top heavy you have to have more than 1 guy at the top. Gabs and rich are not at the top...not this year. last year we win a cup imo with nash and those two. Now though? Well we saw all season Gabs and Rich aren't available this season leave a msg and they might get back in 2013-2014

Old
04-04-2013, 04:47 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Man In View Post

Clowe>Dubinsky
Dorsett>Prust
Fedotenko>Pyatt
Moore>>Bickel
Agree on Clowe and Anisimov. Vehemently disagree with Gabs.
To me it's like you say gabs is better than Nash not only today but going forward. If you compare them last year gabs and Nash were prob even. Gabs is maybe a little better but if you put both on this team last year I think nash would have been not only better than he was in CBJ but better than Gabs too. The only diff is gabs would have also been good last year and Richards too. One can dream. Stats are not the whole story you can't simply point to Pt totals ignoring all context especially considering what we have seen this year from both guys. Right now Gabs doesnt even appear to be an NHL player compared to Nash who has been our best forward on the whole team most of the season.
Disagree on Mitchell too I didn't have much of a problem with him but I think Zuke now with this particular team is better than Mitchell would be if he were on this team. It's pretty even though. I could easily envision Mitchell doing better here. I could easily see him struggling mightily too though. I feel the same way about Zuke he could continue to look great but I think it's pretty easy to imagine that 1 month from now he is struggling mightily.
Agree on feds
Deeeeeefinitely agree with Moore

Old
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post

I'm sorry Inferno, you're a good poster, but this blatantly wrong.

The exact opposite is the truth. I don't care if it is one game.

Gabs hasn't shown any skill for almost all season. We got back great return, for actually "glassman" ...

As of today we are a better team, if we beat the Pit again on friday it is carved in stone.
What are you 5. He played in over 90% of our games since we acquired him. And carved in stone bahahaha

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. Damn talk about what you have you done for me lately.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote