HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Krueger

Old
04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
This team also went on a 5 game losing streak. and won like 4 out of 18.
The fact that we are even in the playoff hunt is amazing.

Outside the last 2 1/2 weeks for Mr.Hall the kids have performed worse under Krueger.

If this team loses 3 in a row this thread will be back up and running again just like how it is after a winning streak.
The kids has performed worse this year because they were given more responsibility. Development is not a straight line.

Demanding the dismissal of a new coach 23 games into his tenure is ridiculous. Especially since the team is close to the playoffs.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:09 PM
SometimesY

I loved the Krueger signing... then a few weeks ago I doubted him.. and now I am ashamed.. he needed time for his system to take effect and this stupid shortened year made that even more difficult.

Now he has my trust again and even though I don't like the vets out there so much, and think Yak should be on the PRV/Gag line.. I am back to trusting K for coach.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Koto

so you are admittedly bi-polar? fire when things are going bad, great coach when things are going well?

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:21 PM
actionjackson

When the team was playing like crap I was on the fire Kreuger team...

In retrospect, he took over a team with:

a) little to no training camp
b) little to no practice time between the game laden schedule

I think in fairness he deserves the rest of this season, training camp and 10 games next year before we can even pass judgement on him.

At a minimum our team is in the hunt with a dozen games left...you know that locker room has to be electric in comparison to previous years.

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

He did say he felt the kid line was playing well early in the season but didn't have any puck luck, and it was bound to change sooner or later.

I don't know if the kids needed to be split up so they didn't take anything for granted, but they're obviously on a roll now.

He's benched Smyth, Whitney, and Hall this season for inferior play, and they've all responded well.

The biggest problem I had with Krueger all year was the 5-on-5 play; for a while there, it looked like the entire team didn't know what he wanted or whether there was a system at all.

Now I don't know if the kids are just hot and we're scoring extremely effectively on the counterattack, or if the team has somehow figured out what Krueger wanted from the beginning.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Koto

doesnt take training camp to realize petrell and smyth decrease our chances of winning, so why are you moving them up in the lineup late in close games.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM
dnicks17

I lost my patience with him when it seemed like he had no ability to learn from his mistakes.

He's identified his mistakes and the team's weaknesses and has done a good job of correcting both.

It's weird to think of a coach like a rookie, but that's what Krueger is.

He basically hit the rookie wall, but is back on track again.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
HopelessOilFan

I still don't agree with anything krueger did at my time of posting in this thread.

We shouldn't sit on leads by benching our best offensive players for petrel/brown/smyth, but krueger has been winning me over lately with his non stop offensive strategy.

Like last night, instead of sitting on the lead in the third, at any point, he just kept rolling the lines, and getting the scorers out there. Its like he's realizing, when teams are gooning it up against us, our only defence to that is to make them pay on the scoreboard, over and over, so thats what he let them do. If they want to try and intimidate us with their physicality, we need to intimidate them with our ability to score, by never letting off the pedal.

Perhaps he's learned how this team should be run, or perhaps the team has really given into what he's preaching finally, but i am pleased with how things are going right now, and i hope everyone keeps doing what they're doing, especially krueger.

HopelessOilFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I lost my patience with him when it seemed like he had no ability to learn from his mistakes.

He's identified his mistakes and the team's weaknesses and has done a good job of correcting both.

A motivated Hall has gone a long way, which could be a result of Krueger learning just how to motivate Hall.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I still don't like the man-on-man defensive system

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
armandh01

New coach has to learn as well. He may have coached in the past or assisted but it isn't the same as running the show. He has said he has made mistakes and is continually learning. He's doing pretty good imo even if he has had some gafs.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Lack of a training camp and a shortened season isn't an excuse to double shift Smyth and sit on leads in the third period. Hopefully, they have learnt their lessons.

Starbuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Lack of a training camp and a shortened season isn't an excuse to double shift Smyth and sit on leads in the third period. Hopefully, they have learnt their lessons.
A lack of options at centre might have been. Unless you want Gagner on a defensive zone faceoff in the last five minutes of a game.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Psychoil

I think I'm okay to admit
I'm bipolar on Ralph, some days he makes me mad, some days he makes me happy

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Master Lok

I know demanding Oiler coaches should be fired has been in vogue for the last five years, but lets at least give the guy a chance to put things into his desk, before we ask him to clear out his desk.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

Agreed, nice assessment, I still love that the Players will go through fire for him. He's really got the team buying in.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
alanschu

Quote:
b) little to no practice time between the game laden schedule
Didn't Krueger say something like they've only had 14 practices this season (on After Hours with Hrudey and Oake)

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Didn't Krueger say something like they've only had 14 practices this season (on After Hours with Hrudey and Oake)
Between the condensed schedule and the PA making it sound like a 2 hour practice is a 15 hour day that's probably the norm across the league. Which sucks when you have such a young team with many areas to work on.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
You mean by waking up out of his slumber and putting the kids back together again and actually learning not to try and protect a 1 goal lead and learning the value of a puck mover like whitney even with his foibles?
The kids sucked for games on end and needed to be broken up. It was a good move and well deserved. As for protecting leads, it's more the team getting comfortable with the system finally. If you're going to dump on the guy when they stunk, then credit should be given when it's reversed. And considering the amount of people that predicted them to be a lottery team once again this year, and the holes still evident in the lineup, I'd say he's done a pretty dammed fine job so far. As for Whitney, he was horrible at the start of the year and had an attitude problem. Once he decided to reign it in and play within the system, things have gone much better for him, and the team.

Hopefully some of the clowns found out that calling for a firing of a coach 3-4 weeks into his initial year was rather knee jerk and simplistic, given what's transpired.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Always supported him and think he is one of the best coaches in the league.. Ive been attacked by many due to this..

The only time I didnt like him was when he benched Yakupov after he layed a couple good hits getting the crowd into the game and creating pressure..
His benching of Yak in the 3rd may be the best thing that happens to Yak in the long run..

Bet get benched now and work on your reliablity when you 19yo rookie than when you are a superstar in your prime (ala Ovy in WSH)

Yak has made good strides and has become semi-reliable already..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

I'm eating crow and loving the sweet taste.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
awesomo
HARD!

when you see the team back checking hard in a 6-2 game and crashing the net like crazy

thats called buying in

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
when you see the team back checking hard in a 6-2 game and crashing the net like crazy

thats called buying in
That can't be right.

Kreuger clearly coaches for tie games, so wouldn't crashing the net and back checking hard in a 6 - 2 game be the opposite of buying into the Oilers system?

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
That can't be right.

Kreuger clearly coaches for tie games, so wouldn't crashing the net and back checking hard in a 6 - 2 game be the opposite of buying into the Oilers system?
Maybe it is Kruger who has bought into HallnNuge system.. 'Give us the friggin puck and get open'!!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I still don't like the man-on-man defensive system
this. how many freaking times do we end up with 2 dman on the same side of the ice when there is a 2v2 coming into our zone. its retarded, all the opposition has to do is crossover eachother, and suddnely one of their forwards is completely unmarked, like magic.

even if our D play it well (which more difficult than staying your lane) they can still run into each other as though they are setting a pick.