HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 UFA targets for Buffalo?

Old
04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Looks like a bunch of 2nd rate players who will be grossly overpaid and won't even come here. Yes, let's get rid of Vanek so we can pay David Clarkson 5.5 mil a year for practically half the amount of goals
Why is it hard to understand that Vanek is leaving one way or another?

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
No thank you. You don't trade centers with all-star potential for LW'ers. Unless they are 50 goal scorers. In this case you're talking about trading a 1st, a guy with potential to be a legit star, and a 2nd/3rd liner for a 60 point winger.

Yep. We're in full rebuilding mode. You build with the Myers, Grigorenkos, Pysyks, and those first round draft picks (especially in a draft that is considered the deepest in years); not by trading them all for just one Bobby Ryan. This team is going to be two or three years away from really being in a position to really go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Look at what Toronto did this offseason.

No big splashes--just the trade for JVR. They didn't chase the top free agents. They basically said "we're gonna let our young guys play, and see where it leads us". But who did they add? Jay McClement. That's it.

That's the model the Sabres need to follow. Pick up a McClement or two, not the Brad Richards of the world. Then next year, you look for guys that can push you over the top--by then the young guys will have improved, the prospect pipeline will be richer, and we'll be closer to contention.
I hope we don't go out and trade No. 1 picks like Brian Burke did. I don't mind such a move, but that is something you do when you're on the cusp of being a real playoff contender, not early in the rebuilding process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
In terms of UFAs---they make kick Clarkson's tires and see what his price is.

I see the more likely looking at a 2-3 yr deal on a veteran Dman who is under 32. It wont be a top level UFA. Just a second lpairing Dman. The price around $3M per yr.

I do see them much more active with trades in the summer.

1. Miller
2. Stafford
3. Vanek ----try to sign first-- look to trade if they feel is asking price is too much. A contract of a 4 yr $26M would be a fair price. 2 yrs at $7M, 2 yrs at $6M. What they could do---but I dont want to see is something like 8 yr $42M (7,6.5,6,5.5,5,4.5,4,3.5)
4. Ott ---they should be able to resign easily.
5. Ennis---if he is traded it would be for another RFA who they have interest in who is a winger. this depends heavily on where and who they draft. He could also be a pawn as part of a draft day trade where they could move up for 6-8 to the top 4.
Vanek isn't going to get a deal that pays him less per year than the current $7 million/year deal that he signed 7 years ago, nor is he going to want a short-to-mid length deal. He'll get paid big money under a long-term deal if he hits the FA market.

I see Stafford as a trade deadline player next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Great minds.

Baring further purges of the forward core (trading Vanek/Stafford, buying out Leino), any pickups we make via UFA will be role 3rd/4th line forwards/4/5/6 D-men.

There's a few decent ones out there who could fit right in.
I much rather keep Leino instead of taking the prologned cap. With four years left, he's contract is too long to use as trade bait right now, and I think at four years to go, he'll help the team hit the cap floor over the next two or three seasons. By the time his salary comes off the book in three (if he is a trade deadline piece) or four years, the young pipeline will be maturing, experienced enough, and hopefully talented enough as a group where you can use that salary to make a move for an impact guy.

Last edited by Slapshot85: 04-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post

They see a rebuilding team as an opportunity for playing time, and if it doesn't work, they get shipped to a contender, oh, the humanity. Grier and Teppo weren't Cup chasing when they came here.
I think he was saying that we shouldn't be chasing the big names, and we should be targeting the Griers/Teppos of the world.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
zbubble

If Miller gets moved, all of those goalies are appealing to me.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Why is it hard to understand that Vanek is leaving one way or another?
I don't think that was his point.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
If Miller gets moved, all of those goalies are appealing to me.
Khudobin's interesting, he's been amazing for the Bruins in his games this season. I wouldn't be opposed to entering next season's camp with Hackett and Khudobin and seeing who does best.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
we should be looking for the Grier's and Numminen's of free agency... not long term, big contract, big position players
Exactly. Highly respected vets to help the youngsters transition to the NHL.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:05 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think he was saying that we shouldn't be chasing the big names, and we should be targeting the Griers/Teppos of the world.
Yup. Muh bad.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:27 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Vanek Hodgson Tropp
Foligno Ennis Leino
Gerbe Ott Flynn
Kaleta Porter McCormick
Ellis/Scott

Myers Sekera
Ehrhoff Pysyk
Weber Pardy
Mcnabb/old vet

Miller
Hackett

Its very sad but I could see them sporting this awesome line up and not spending a dime in free agenct

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:35 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Exactly. Highly respected vets to help the youngsters transition to the NHL.
X2

Except I'd love some offense from the back end ... Somehow...

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:36 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
X2

Except I'd love some offense from the back end ... Somehow...
Fix Myers and find another solid defensive dman for the top 4. Then Myers and Hoff should be able to provide all the offense you need from back there.

EDIT: Lydman or Scuderi would fill the bill. Scuderi in particular would be a great signing with his Cup experience. He's won 2 and played in 3 Cup Finals.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-05-2013 at 01:54 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:05 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Fix Myers and find another solid defensive dman for the top 4. Then Myers and Hoff should be able to provide all the offense you need from back there.

EDIT: Lydman or Scuderi would fill the bill. Scuderi in particular would be a great signing with his Cup experience. He's won 2 and played in 3 Cup Finals.
Hoff is a hell of a player for us. But he's not the guy who's carrying the puck up ice, leading the rush a la Campbell. That's what id love.

Wouldn't mind Scuds. Lydman was always a personal favorite of mine.

Edit- Myers can be that guy. He was rookie year. But I worry that we aren't going to get that again. "Fixing" him seems like a tall order at this point in time.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
we should be looking for the Grier's and Numminen's of free agency... not long term, big contract, big position players
I like that idea.

Jagr, Lydman, Scuderi, Streit, maybe Sullivan.

I don't think Morrow, Iginla, or Alfredsson would ever sign with Buffalo, but they'd fit the requirement as well.

Same with Cullen.... I can't remember, when he went to Minnesota over Buffalo, was there any commentary from him that was negative towards the Sabres? If he's willing, he'd be another good fit.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
clumping platelets

The brand is damaged. It will be difficult to attract UFAs again. They will need to rebuild with assets via trades of Vanek, Miller, and Stafford along with strong drafts for the next few years.

I predict that both Vanek and Miller ask for trades after the season

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
Vanek Hodgson Tropp
Foligno Ennis Leino
Gerbe Ott Flynn
Kaleta Porter McCormick
Ellis/Scott

Myers Sekera
Ehrhoff Pysyk
Weber Pardy
Mcnabb/old vet

Miller
Hackett

Its very sad but I could see them sporting this awesome line up and not spending a dime in free agenct
That Really isn't bad. I mean, even some pieces we could also fit are Girgorenko or Armia ... IF they're ready and won't be on the goon line.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
kenfury

Quote:
Not only are these good guys to have but they also have a good value come the deadline for playoff teams. If we are looking at full rebuild you can accelerate it by picking up UFAs for free, having them play a year or two as a bridge to the future and then sending them off to cup contenders teams for picks or prospects coming back when the kids start to compete. Look at Leopold. He netted us a nice second for no cost, other than cash and a roster spot. Right now it is all about asset management, something that Darcy is very good at.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 50
Regier just said that he talked to at team about a player with a limited NTC and that Buffalo was on that players list of where he wouldn't accept a trade to...

Wonder what player that is...he didn't specify if it was this year...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:35 AM
5 Minute Major

Screw the UFA market. i want to see Regier throw a couple offer sheets at some RFA's where there is some REAL talent to be had that is young. Speed this rebuild up as well. It may not work but the time has come to get aggressive.

That would be totally against the grain for Darcy but so was firing Lindy Ruff and cutting the apron strings with this core. The Sbares very well may have 30 million plus to play with when all is said and done.

The worm is turning.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Screw the UFA market. i want to see Regier throw a couple offer sheets at some RFA's where there is some REAL talent to be had that is young. Speed this rebuild up as well.

That would be totally against the grain for Darcy but so was firing Lindy Ruff and cutting the apron strings with this core. The Sbares very well may have 30 million plus to play with when all is said and done.

The worm is turning.
Always a great idea to go the offersheet route when you are staring at a lottery pick

Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart are more enticing then overpaying for an RFA, also offer sheeting doesn`t work, I have been a fan for a long time and can only remember Anaheim not matching. I have no idea why HF thinks it`s so easy to do this.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Always a great idea to go the offersheet route when you are staring at a lottery pick

Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart are more enticing then overpaying for an RFA, also offer sheeting doesn`t work, I have been a fan for a long time and can only remember Anaheim not matching. I have no idea why HF thinks it`s so easy to do this.
I never said it was easy to do. In fact, I said it may not work.

However, what I do know is the salary cap is coming down next year and teams may not have the flexibility that they did in the past.

If the Sabres dismiss any avenue in improving their roster, shame on them.

And, what does staring at a lottery pick have to do with making an offer sheet?

Old
04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:

However, what I do know is the salary cap is coming down next year and teams may not have the flexibility that they did in the past.

Any offer sheet of consequence would cost us the pick.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Any offer sheet of consequence would cost us the pick.
Not if it is made after the draft.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM
kenfury

Quote:
Not if it is made after the draft.
If we are going rebuild I dont think next years pick will be much different. Or the year after...

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:

any good player is going to require your 2014th 1st going the other way, in all likely hood we are going to hit rock bottom before we get better. I don't think you have a chance in hell seeing a RFA available with the impact that Aaron Ekblad will have in the NHL and certainely not at an affordable cost.

Their is no quick fix here, we are probable staring at a top 5 pick in 2013,2014, and 2015 whether we like it out not. It's going to be a tough few years but will be exciting at the same time. This will take time but with stable ownership it will work out in the end.

Another thing to remember is that we are in an incredibly tough division next year which will make it even tougher to win, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Montreal, Boston and Toronto will have very good teams. Even Florida should see a major improvement with a year under the belt of Huberdeau, Markstrom, Matthais ect.. We most likely finish 6/7 in our division.

Am I saying playoffs are out of the question? no. We have seen Ottawa and Montreal both turn a rebuild around rather quickly. But they also have pieces that we do not

Last edited by 1972: 04-05-2013 at 11:14 AM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
That Really isn't bad. I mean, even some pieces we could also fit are Girgorenko or Armia ... IF they're ready and won't be on the goon line.
Provided we continue to stay in the bottom 3 of the overall standings, I'm guessing one of those big 3 prospects would make the roster next season and play?