HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
You heard it hear first: Reese gets credit for teaching Bob not to pass to the other team.

Konggwadwuleartions!!!

Old
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would say our defense in 2010 had a greater impact on Leighton's season than Reese.
And I would say our defense in 2011 had a greater impact on Bob's season than Reese.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Reese definitely did a good job with Bob on his puck handling. You could practically see a game-to-game improvement, obviously helped by the athleticism and openness Bob had to coaching. He was laughably bad handling the puck when he first started here. He made Boosh look like Hextall or Brodeur, yet improved quite a bit not only by the end of the first season, but even more his second year.

However, that he went 2 seasons here with a relatively minimal change in his stance is also a bit damning for Reese. Everyone said Bob was extremely coachable, and Bob himself showed it with his steady improvement with the puck. He's responded pretty quickly to coaching in Columbus. So...what was Reese doing in that regard?

04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
So I guess there was legit criticism of Reese with Bob?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
If you read between the lines: Yes.
So let me get this straight. Bob is good for a year under Reese and then goes south on a team that plays an offense first style game in a higher scoring conference. He gets traded to Columbus who plays a defense first style game in a lower scoring conference and is able to turn it around for 25 or so games and it's all because Reese sucks and the Columbus goalie coach fixed him. With this logic, why did Mason win the Calder as an unpolished rookie and then sleadily regress during the next 3+ seasons under this amazing coach? If Mason did this in Philly it surely would have been blamed on Reese for ruining his development.

Last edited by StoneHands: 04-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
BillDineen

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 5m
Mason: "My job is to come in here + become the goaltender the organization believes I can be _ and that’s to be a No. 1 goaltender."#Flyers

Old
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Extending someone before they even play is beyond ridiculous. Even if it's a one year deal.

04-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Extending someone before they even play is beyond ridiculous. Even if it's a one year deal.
If it's really cheap I'm fine with it. They spent a pick on the guy, might as well make sure he's around for more than a few weeks.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:50 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If it's really cheap I'm fine with it. They spent a pick on the guy, might as well make sure he's around for more than a few weeks.
Right, but if it is anywhere close to Carchidi's prediction, WOW.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
BernieParent

Proposed new Bryzgalov nickname: the Ugly Ducking.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The funny thing about Mason is his rookie year he was without his normal goalie coach. His normal coach was Clint Malarchuk (most known as the goalie who nearly died during a game when he caught a skate blade to the jugular) nearly killed himself that year when his shotgun discharged and nearly blew his face off.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Right, but if it is anywhere close to Carchidi's prediction, WOW.
I'm hoping Carchidi is just throwing crap out there. Because that number is dumber than drinking gasoline to get drunk.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I'm hoping Carchidi is just throwing crap out there. Because that number is dumber than drinking gasoline to get drunk.
What about Changaa?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He did say it was his guess on the number.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
He pulled it out of the same place Randy Miller pulled his Couts + 2nd suggestion. Hint: you sit on yours.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 5m
Mason: "My job is to come in here + become the goaltender the organization believes I can be _ and that’s to be a No. 1 goaltender."#Flyers
given how the current #1 is playing, that should be fairly easy for Mason to be the new #1..

Old
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm curious, what is the best asset that Mason has? I've always notice he has very long and lanky legs.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
So let me get this straight. Bob is good for a year under Reese and then goes south on a team that plays an offense first style game in a higher scoring conference. He gets traded to Columbus who plays a defense first style game in a lower scoring conference and is able to turn it around for 25 or so games and it's all because Reese sucks and the Columbus goalie coach fixed him. With this logic, why did Mason win the Calder as an unpolished rookie and then sleadily regress during the next 3+ seasons under this amazing coach? If Mason did this in Philly it surely would have been blamed on Reese for ruining his development.
Bob had flaws in his game. The Flyer's offense style first had dirt to do with some of the goals he let in. To pretend that a player goes south because of the offensive style of a team is mentally lazy. Sure, they'll have more goals against, but certain goals are purely due to bad technique. You see them. I see them. They happen when the team is set up 100% defensively 5on5, right after a line change, right after a faceoff in the defensive zone, with 100% rested players, with the best defensive unit on the ice, and I'm not talking about shots right off the faceoff, either.

Bob's saying, I had some flaws in my game and I've worked on them here (presumably with this new coach and 100 pages of instructions he was given) and that's why I'm playing better along with getting physically larger. Watch him play now-- his technique is better, although he will once in awhile still let in a strange 5-hole or get beaten glove-side.

Reese apparently didn't recognize these mistakes or let Bob know about them. Does it mean that Reese is a bad goalie coach? Not necessarily, but Bob is implying it. The goaltenders that have played under Reese has at least suggested he is mediocre

Does it mean the guy in Columbus is great? Not necessarily, but maybe Bob is his one-hit wonder. That's still a separate issue from Reese himself, who I have never seen any evidence he is good at his job. Maybe it exists-- but until then--

Old
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'm curious, what is the best asset that Mason has? I've always notice he has very long and lanky legs.
Mason's best asset is that he isnt signed until next decade.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
And I would say our defense in 2011 had a greater impact on Bob's season than Reese.
I think there's big difference in the talent gap between Leighton and Bob.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:36 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Mason's best asset is that he isnt signed until next decade.
seriously and he'll be making less money. less pressure with bryzgalov still here. i just went back and watched some old highlights of him. if this all is a confidence issue, then this could be the best situation for him regardless of it being philly. sleeper maneuver all boiling down to a 2014 playoff matchup with columbus.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
blinds

So what's the deal with Jeff Reese, how is he as a goalie coach? We got him in 2009 and management speaks really highly of him, but I don't see the results and I've heard other people (players too, apparently) doubt his ability. Is he part of the problem?

Old
04-04-2013, 04:49 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
So what's the deal with Jeff Reese, how is he as a goalie coach? We got him in 2009 and management speaks really highly of him, but I don't see the results. Is he part of the problem?
anyone on here acting like they know what goes on behind the scenes is B.S.ing but i'll do it anyway. he sucks. just based off his influence in decisions that are made about goaltending here. keeping leighton around i think was him. He obviously wasn't high on bobrovsky which proves he's a moron and he seems to have done nothing to help bryzgalov. breakaways and shootouts and not ducking being his big weaknesses. he's living off a stanley cup won by a guy (khabibulen) who was awesome since coming into the league in '96. chris pronger's presence on our team made leighton look good which then reinforced reese's reputation. He was homer's guy tho after firing lemelin but there's got to be better options.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
anyone on here acting like they know what goes on behind the scenes is B.S.ing but i'll do it anyway. he sucks. just based off his influence in decisions that are made about goaltending here. keeping leighton around i think was him. He obviously wasn't high on bobrovsky which proves he's a moron and he seems to have done nothing to help bryzgalov. breakaways and shootouts and not ducking being his big weaknesses. he's living off a stanley cup won by a guy (khabibulen) who was awesome since coming into the league in '96. chris pronger's presence on our team made leighton look good which then reinforced reese's reputation. There's got to be better options.
Look at Ottawa's goalie coach. I know he's considered to be one of the best in the league but they keep plugging goalies in there whether they're hyped up or not and getting success.

The last two years he's had Bryz and Bob and both of them regressed under his watch. He might not be the main problem but that doesn't exactly mean he's good at his job.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Yeah, I obviously can't say for sure (the guy isn't coaching me), but there might be some sort of deficiency with Reese. Bob was a good experiment to see what Reese is good at coaching, since he was unpolished. Puck movement has been a strong point. Correcting form...not really. Since we have some promising young talent in Stolarz, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Once again though, gotta just judge from what we've seen from players he's coached.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
MsWoof

This morning, Rick Tocchet was on TSN1050 radio and was talking about Bryz. He strongly indicated that the team doesn't play as hard for him and that he isn't a good teammate. I can't find the link to the podcast but it was on the Macko and Cauz show.

Closed Thread