HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Ottomatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Rychel doesn't know the meaning of that.
Once we don't get the hosting gig he won't have much of a choice. Team wasn't near good enough last year, won't be good enough next year barring a home run on the import picks and a certain American kid coming over.

We simply can't let all of them graduate to the AHL with nothing to show - especially given the sanctions.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Once we don't get the hosting gig he won't have much of a choice. Team wasn't near good enough last year, won't be good enough next year barring a home run on the import picks and a certain American kid coming over.

We simply can't let all of them graduate to the AHL with nothing to show - especially given the sanctions.
I agree that they should scrap it and rebuild. I will say this though it isn't really feasible to trade all those guys at the deadline you would need to trade a couple before the season begins. Maybe you have one buyer in the form of the team hosting the Memorial Cup. You might be able to find one other bidder in the form of a contender from the other conference. Look at the 2011 deadline the only buyers were Mississauga and Windsor.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Ottomatic

On a side, but I've been meaning to mention it - why did Zack Percy never get a shot at the OHL until late last season? I think he handled himself well enough to show he could play in the league - now obviously he's not OA caliber so his short OHL career is over, but why couldn't he play as a 17 and 18 yr old. Not a world beater, but he could have been a bottom pair defenceman one has to assume.

Old
04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
I agree that they should scrap it and rebuild. I will say this though it isn't really feasible to trade all those guys at the deadline you would need to trade a couple before the season begins. Maybe you have one buyer in the form of the team hosting the Memorial Cup. You might be able to find one other bidder in the form of a contender from the other conference. Look at the 2011 deadline the only buyers were Mississauga and Windsor.
Rychel and Kassian were morons.

Old
04-03-2013, 08:37 PM
OHLTG

According to the Spits' website, the team has acquired Barrie's 2nd round pick this year via Saginaw

"Acquired BAR's 2nd Round pick (#35) in this year's Priority Selection in a trade with the Saginaw Spirit. "

No word on what's going the other way.

Old
04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
According to the Spits' website, the team has acquired Barrie's 2nd round pick this year via Saginaw

"Acquired BAR's 2nd Round pick (#35) in this year's Priority Selection in a trade with the Saginaw Spirit. "

No word on what's going the other way.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=948

I'd try to package #35 and #47 (keeping #43) to move up into the #24-26 range if at all possible. Rychel thought it of value to trade into the late second for a reason when it's only 8 spots before our first third rounder - a player available at #35 you would assume would be available at #43 if there was any cooked deal - so I can't imagine that will be the case this year.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 04-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Ottomatic

Looks like Day might very well drop to 4th overall - wouldn't that be a punch in the gut.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 04-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
punch1943

Credit Where Credit is Due...

Originally Posted by OHLTG
Maybe it's because I'm using it as motivation for work, but I'm looking at this draft completely differently than most drafts - in a good way.

This is WR's chance to be creative, to show what he can do given he has little to work with. Does he pull off a deal or four to get into the second? Does he make a deal with London? There are plenty of possibilities.

OHLTG..................Credit where credit is due.... I figure you are either clairvoyant or you're reading WR's mail......................

Old
04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Looks like Day might very well drop to 4th overall - wouldn't that be a punch in the gut.
Rychel should resign if they miss out on Day due to this scandal. There's absolutely nothing Rychel could do to make up for losing out on a exceptional status guy like Day.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:30 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Originally Posted by OHLTG
Maybe it's because I'm using it as motivation for work, but I'm looking at this draft completely differently than most drafts - in a good way.

This is WR's chance to be creative, to show what he can do given he has little to work with. Does he pull off a deal or four to get into the second? Does he make a deal with London? There are plenty of possibilities.

OHLTG..................Credit where credit is due.... I figure you are either clairvoyant or you're reading WR's mail......................
Haha, I haven't been in WR's office since the old Barn. I just know how he's worked in the past and creativity is something he has yet to fail at; for good or bad. My hope is that draft day is interesting and he's not done yet.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Ottomatic

Top of the draft looks very likely to be -

Ottawa - Konecny
Erie - Strome
Peterborough - Spencer

So Windsor will miss out of Sean Day. And for what Warren? I think it's time Rychel and the Spits spell out what they did and who the two players were. Why do they get to go unnamed when they took part in the shady deals? Because they were underage? Well it's their parents/advisers making the deals on their behalf - if Windsor is named and shamed and penalized, why not name the players involved and spell out exactly what the illegal offense was?

To be penalized a top pick like this - it should be pretty damn close to a capital offense. And it it turns out it wasn't than releasing the info will expose Branch further for the joke he is.

I've also heard a (conspiracy?) theory that London/Hunters were involved in blowing the whistle for Mem Cup hosting purposes.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Top of the draft looks very likely to be -

Ottawa - Konecny
Erie - Strome
Peterborough - Spencer

So Windsor will miss out of Sean Day. And for what Warren? I think it's time Rychel and the Spits spell out what they did and who the two players were. Why do they get to go unnamed when they took part in the shady deals? Because they were underage? Well it's their parents/advisers making the deals on their behalf - if Windsor is named and shamed and penalized, why not name the players involved and spell out exactly what the illegal offense was?

To be penalized a top pick like this - it should be pretty damn close to a capital offense. And it it turns out it wasn't than releasing the info will expose Branch further for the joke he is.

I've also heard a (conspiracy?) theory that London/Hunters were involved in blowing the whistle for Mem Cup hosting purposes.
I am definitely in the minority and I said it earlier I see no reason why Warren should see this through. He's never going to have another chance at an exceptional status guy unless the team stinks for the 3rd straight year. This organization is all about having some cloak of secrecy where they will say nothing publically. Everything this organization has done recently involves secrecy and I don't believe for one moment we need to know everything but if what they are doing is hurting the on ice product questions need to be asked and answered. There's nothing Rychel can do falling short of getting Barber, Schmaltz, Allen, Butcher, and Friedman to sign this offseason that can make up for losing out on an exceptional talent like Day.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
aresknights

"I've also heard a (conspiracy?) theory that London/Hunters were involved in blowing the whistle for Mem Cup hosting purposes."

More likely would be that it came from in house OR a potentially disgruntled ex employee. just saying.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
aresknights

Razor, I definitely agree the fans should get some info, they're owed that much at least.
It went from, weve done nothing, were goin to clear our name, ect..... To, ok we except the reduced punishment. Nuff said.
I doubt we hear much as its probably part of an agreement but its gotta be a little more than frustrating for Spit fans.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
OHLTG

If the team misses out on Day, maybe there'll be questions raised on Saturday?

Old
04-04-2013, 01:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If the team misses out on Day, maybe there'll be questions raised on Saturday?
Doubt it, Warren has already chalked things up to bad luck.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
"I've also heard a (conspiracy?) theory that London/Hunters were involved in blowing the whistle for Mem Cup hosting purposes."

More likely would be that it came from in house OR a potentially disgruntled ex employee. just saying.
Sure, if by ex-employee you mean ex-player, and if that ex-player ended his career in London.

The league needed signed statements from the players involved, they wanted first hand knowledge and wouldn't accept hearsay. There was another team ready to get nuked, but at the last second the player balked at signing his name to a statement made up from his verbal admissions. League wouldn't move forward without the signature.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 04-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
aresknights

Not a player.

Disgruntled or ex employee. Not player.
The fact a player aided the league, signed off and another from a different team wouldnt......
They definitely pissed someone off, no?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
coachfluffy

Watson, presumed to be one of the players involved, and Dark were both ex members of the Spits org. There have been grumblings since the sanctions were announced that they were involved.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Not a player.

Disgruntled or ex employee. Not player.
The fact a player aided the league, signed off and another from a different team wouldnt......
They definitely pissed someone off, no?
ex coach perhaps???

Last edited by 4 Bobby ORR: 04-04-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: edit: coachfluffy beat me to it.
Old
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
aresknights

They pissed someone off, that's all ill say.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Ward Cornell

Not sure why it matters if it's an ex-player, ex-employee or an ex-coach, trying to find the source might be nice to know but doesn't really matter.
The fact is the Spitfires did do something wrong and the fans should be given an explanation of "some sort" but doesn't really need to know the nuts and bolts.!

Old
04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Libbs

With the 4th overall selection, the Windsor Spitfires are proud to select, Sean Day....

oh wait... nevermind.

I don't really care who said what or what the sanctions were actually for... but dictating which years the team loses it's first rounder is total BS. I've said before, but the team should have been given a choice as to what first round pick they were willing to forfeit, ala the NJ Devils re: Cap circumvention.

"Loss of a first round draft choice in either 2013 or 2014 as well as 2016 or 2017. Which ever year the Spitfires elect to use their 1st round pick, they will forfeit a 2nd round pick that year. If no 2nd round pick is available for that particular year, the Spitfires will have no choice but to forfeit their 1st round pick."

Does something like that not seem more logical? The team is still getting hit with the lost draft picks but it's not a crippling as what is currently happening.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
With the 4th overall selection, the Windsor Spitfires are proud to select, Sean Day....

oh wait... nevermind.

I don't really care who said what or what the sanctions were actually for... but dictating which years the team loses it's first rounder is total BS. I've said before, but the team should have been given a choice as to what first round pick they were willing to forfeit, ala the NJ Devils re: Cap circumvention.

"Loss of a first round draft choice in either 2013 or 2014 as well as 2016 or 2017. Which ever year the Spitfires elect to use their 1st round pick, they will forfeit a 2nd round pick that year. If no 2nd round pick is available for that particular year, the Spitfires will have no choice but to forfeit their 1st round pick."

Does something like that not seem more logical? The team is still getting hit with the lost draft picks but it's not a crippling as what is currently happening.
I think it makes sense but you can't expect much from the OHL. There's zero transparency in what they try and do. As long as London and Kitchener are healthy franchises in the OHL the guys like Branch and Baker don't give a crap what's happening with the 18 other teams.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think it makes sense but you can't expect much from the OHL. There's zero transparency in what they try and do. As long as London and Kitchener are healthy franchises in the OHL the guys like Branch and Baker don't give a crap what's happening with the 18 other teams.
I would agree with both of u there on all opinions Spits should have been given the option of what years to lose the 1st rders
It should be noted that the Spits have 1 remaining 2nd rder for 2014 which will be
given to the league as part of the sanctions going forward,meaning as of now they
do not have a 2nd or 3rd rder next yr,though they do have a 1st
It also should be noted that Rychel does not go rogue on trades they are all run by Boughner before being consumated
With 5 picks in the 1st 81 selections I can guarantee all that the selections will
be top heavy with forwards,in fact would not surprise me that in the 1st 6 guys
picked 4 or 5 are forwards
With 15 picks this yr pretty much assured a goalie will be selected,they should have
picked 1 last yr with 1 one of their 17 selections,Nedljokovic was picked in the 6th
rd last player in that rd,so 19 teams missed the boat on that one,btw the Spits
picked smallish forward a 95 born American Jack Billings with their 6th rd selection

Closed Thread