HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryane Clowe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
  #226
Welke94
Registered User
 
Welke94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Via snyrangersblog.com, he's looking for a deal around 7-8 years 30mil. He and the flyers agreed on a contract around those terms but the players going back in the trade could not be worked out.

Welke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
  #227
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welke94 View Post
Via snyrangersblog.com, he's looking for a deal around 7-8 years 30mil. He and the flyers agreed on a contract around those terms but the players going back in the trade could not be worked out.
Modest raise, but the term hurts. The style he plays isn't conducive to playing and being effective into his late 30s. Of course, he could always retire before the end of the deal.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
  #228
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,231
vCash: 500
The cap hit will be fair regarding Clowe, but the length i'm definitely worried about.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
  #229
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Beaver has always done well with big, physical wingers. So it'll be interesting to see if he and Clowe can develop some much-needed chemistry.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
  #230
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welke94 View Post
Via snyrangersblog.com, he's looking for a deal around 7-8 years 30mil. He and the flyers agreed on a contract around those terms but the players going back in the trade could not be worked out.
So he wanted to go to Philly.

Interesting.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
  #231
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,215
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So he wanted to go to Philly.

Interesting.
Everything I've read is that he just wanted to go East. I feel like he would have accepted a trade anywhere in the mid-Atlantic or Northeast regions.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:32 PM
  #232
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Everything I've read is that he just wanted to go East. I feel like he would have accepted a trade anywhere in the mid-Atlantic or Northeast regions.
That is what I have read as well.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
  #233
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 500
7-8 puts him at 37-38. That's risky for the style he plays.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  #234
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
The term makes me nervous, but if he can play well for us this stretch leading into the playoffs, we have to sign him. Players like Ryan Clowe just don't come along out of nowhere. He could easily wear a letter on this team. He would be a key ingredient in our being competitive for the next 3-5 years and that's easily worth the risk.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  #235
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
7-8 puts him at 37-38. That's risky for the style he plays.
I agree. That seems like a long time, unless the cap hit is brought way down.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  #236
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I agree. That seems like a long time, unless the cap hit is brought way down.
30 million over 7 years is approximately 4.2-4.3 per year.

__________________
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  #237
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,761
vCash: 500
Asking for / looking for does not equal will sign for.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
  #238
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
30 million over 7 years is approximately 4.2-4.3 per year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Asking for / looking for does not equal will sign for.
Exactly. What he is looking for and what he is going to get are (2) different things. I hope.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:07 PM
  #239
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
The term makes me nervous, but if he can play well for us this stretch leading into the playoffs, we have to sign him. Players like Ryan Clowe just don't come along out of nowhere. He could easily wear a letter on this team. He would be a key ingredient in our being competitive for the next 3-5 years and that's easily worth the risk.
What worries me is that he had options and was said to have chosen the Rangers over Vancouver. While its great that he wanted to come here and thinks highly enough of the team and city- I'm sure the decision included what he and his agent thought was the best place to make out on his next contract.

Obviously Slats and Dolan have habits of doling out huge, over-extended contracts to aging veterans, and if he comes in with the notion that hes going to get paid off on what could be his final NHL contract, then there could be some hard-balling involved from his camp which could result in a bad contract or him winding up being just a rental.

Hopefully he does resign and under fair terms.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
  #240
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
I'm sure the Rangers are prepared to play him if yesterday is any indication of what he can bring. I realize he won't be scoring every night, but he brings a lot more that just goal scoring.

Plus, you don't want a player like him being signed by a team like the Flyers. It's killing Ed Snider that we signed Clowe. KILLING HIM!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
  #241
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
What worries me is that he had options and was said to have chosen the Rangers over Vancouver. While its great that he wanted to come here and thinks highly enough of the team and city- I'm sure the decision included what he and his agent thought was the best place to make out on his next contract.

Obviously Slats and Dolan have habits of doling out huge, over-extended contracts to aging veterans, and if he comes in with the notion that hes going to get paid off on what could be his final NHL contract, then there could be some hard-balling involved from his camp which could result in a bad contract or him winding up being just a rental.

Hopefully he does resign and under fair terms.
agreed. I just posted some other thoughts as well.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
  #242
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,071
vCash: 500
It's obvious Clowe saw the "Brodeur has more goals this season" meme on the Devils board right after the trade and wanted to put the kibosh on that right away.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
  #243
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,167
vCash: 500
Ed Snider and Paul Holmgren should be looking for an actual NHL defenseman.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
  #244
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Ed Snider and Paul Holmgren should be looking for an actual NHL defenseman.
I'm terrified of a McDonagh offer sheet. Sather plays hardball with RFA's. A ridiculous offer by Holmgren would put the Rangers in a bad spot.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
  #245
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
7-8 year contract?! Even if it was 3M a season i'd say hell no.

You don't lock someone up that long anymore, there will be no more buyouts (Or you cant ASSUME there will be).

He's 30 years old, he is on the decline from his prime years and he plays a style of hockey that will take a toll on his body faster then most NHLers. The most I give him is a 2 year contract. If he won't take that, well then goodbye and we keep our 2nd round pick.

Really disappointing to hear those contracts demands. Guess thats why Sharks had to unload him.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
  #246
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
Clowe wants this to be his last contract. The NYR will most likely give it to him. If he can't play anymore, Clowe strikes me as the type of guy that will just retire and end it. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
  #247
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 11,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Clowe wants this to be his last contract. The NYR will most likely give it to him. If he can't play anymore, Clowe strikes me as the type of guy that will just retire and end it. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
u cant just retire and end it in this cba. the caphit remains.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
  #248
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
u cant just retire and end it in this cba. the caphit remains.
whoops forgot.... yikes.

i'm sure they'll work out something...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
  #249
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
7-8 year contract?! Even if it was 3M a season i'd say hell no.

You don't lock someone up that long anymore, there will be no more buyouts (Or you cant ASSUME there will be).

He's 30 years old, he is on the decline from his prime years and he plays a style of hockey that will take a toll on his body faster then most NHLers. The most I give him is a 2 year contract. If he won't take that, well then goodbye and we keep our 2nd round pick.

Really disappointing to hear those contracts demands. Guess thats why Sharks had to unload him.
The most you would give him is two years? That's equally preposterous as giving him 8.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
  #250
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
I'm terrified of a McDonagh offer sheet. Sather plays hardball with RFA's. A ridiculous offer by Holmgren would put the Rangers in a bad spot.
Then Philly should be ready to say goodbye to B. Schenn or Couturier. Sather commands a lot of respect around the league. Sather has said he dislikes offer sheets, but if Holmgren is arrogant enough to come after McDonagh, I have the feeling Sather would strike right back.

Back onto topic, 7-8 years for Clowe is too much. No more than 4 years. Sather would be a fool to give a retirement contract (again) to a guy that's already showed signs of declining, last night aside.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.