HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Believe in the bag! Oilers win 8-2

Old
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
No GDT
Someone should just start one. We can always add to it later. I'm on my phone, so I can't

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Was at the game...it was glorious.

That said there Oilers still have a lot of holes in their game which they need to shore up if they expect this run to continue. Many positives but far too many scoring chances for the Flames in last nights game.
J Shultz was brutal in the first 10 minutes of the game.

In any event I cant remember the last time I left the Saddledome feeling good about an Oilers win much less a blowout.

Good times.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Someone should just start one. We can always add to it later. I'm on my phone, so I can't
I think you should just make the thread, and then you can fill it in later - you're the good luck charm!

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 500
question..

What is considered the main board on Hfboards?

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
question..

What is considered the main board on Hfboards?
It's a dark, dark place. Only the bravest among us venture there.

National hockey league talk
(+polls trade rumors too)

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
and the fire drills that happened in detroit/sj/nsh/chicago when petrell replaced yakupov with gagner and paajarvi?
I don't even know what you're trying to say.
I'm saying that Petrell is a good 4th liner. You're going off on a tangent about something completely different.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
IV XIV XCI

TAYLOR HALL CAN PASS!!!!!!!!!

More reason to convert him to centre?
Im loving Gagner but if Hall can be a beast at Centre it would change our centre depth dramatically going forward and perhaps Gagner could fetch us a stud #2 D

Just a thought. (For the record, I'd be happy watching Sam stay a long term Oilers and continue his growth. Just trying to think like an active GM here).

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't even know what you're trying to say.
I'm saying that Petrell is a good 4th liner. You're going off on a tangent about something completely different.
im saying he's bad. period.

youre saying his line has bad results because of his linemates and he does not contribute to fire drills

i think that is incorrect, and therefore mentioned time he has spent with other linemates who are generally productive.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
TAYLOR HALL CAN PASS!!!!!!!!!

More reason to convert him to centre?
Im loving Gagner but if Hall can be a beast at Centre it would change our centre depth dramatically going forward and perhaps Gagner could fetch us a stud #2 D

Just a thought. (For the record, I'd be happy watching Sam stay a long term Oilers and continue his growth. Just trying to think like an active GM here).
ive always been a fan of him at center...but ive given up and i'm not sure gagner will get you that piece even though i think he is worth it and would not deal him for less.

besides being pass-first isnt what makes centerman, stamkos anyone?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
im saying he's bad. period.

youre saying his line has bad results because of his linemates and he does not contribute to fire drills

i think that is incorrect, and therefore mentioned time he has spent with other linemates who are generally productive.
I seriously don't think that you're watching closely enough if you think that Petrell is bad.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree then.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Score was 1-0 when Brown fought. Flames scored their second about 45 seconds later.
My bad, I seemed to have remembered that wrong. Either way I bet it perked the boys up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I would say the Gagner goal was huge, the tying goal from Hall to Whitney, and the Gagner setup to Yak.

I don't think at any point the boys were prepared to let this one drift away. Attribution to Brown in this instance I think is misleading. Don't think it was a factor. Also it was 1-0 at the time. Calgary scored the 2-0 goal 50 secs after the fight and so perhaps a better argument could be made that the fight continued the Calgary momentum.

Reasonably speaking what would one believe? That a Gagner goal 5 mins later had anything to do with the fight or a Calgary goal 50 secs after the fight had anything to do with the fight. Or the alternative that the fight was an insignificant part of the game. Certainly it didn't make the Flames have to pay attention to Brown as he was out for quite awhile after that missing more than a period of play.
Um okay. I wasn't attributing the comeback to Brown's fight, just saying I think it gave the boys some emotion. It was the right time to scrap and good on Brown for it.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
My bad, I seemed to have remembered that wrong. Either way I bet it perked the boys up.
look how we responded after our good 4th liner fought! oh wait we got scored on? well either way it was probably positive...

Old
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think Petrell is a great PK guy. I'm not convinced he's a great 4th liner in 5-on-5 play. He hasn't been a bad signing by any stretch, but I'm just wondering if he couldn't be upgraded in the offseason.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
look how we responded after our good 4th liner fought! oh wait we got scored on? well either way it was probably positive...
Yeah totally. Fights never get guys jacked up, it's all a figment of my imagination. I would have said the same thing about Brown if I remembered the scrap was after the first goal. He does his job, and does it well.

The coach seems to think it helps, but what the hell does he know?

Quote:
“Mike understands the need of a big hit, he understands the need of bringing a fight into our environment to bring up our emotions,” said head coach Ralph Krueger. “There’s not much to say about that, he does things right, he does things simple, he does things without distracting the team and without taking away from hockey."

Last edited by Puritania: 04-04-2013 at 12:39 PM.
McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:37 PM
McOiler

vCash: 900
So this is how it feels when you have Crosby on your team!

McOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:00 PM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post

Um okay. I wasn't attributing the comeback to Brown's fight, just saying I think it gave the boys some emotion. It was the right time to scrap and good on Brown for it.
No the credit must go to Gagner...

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:31 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtsua View Post
Kind of an unmentioned statistic, but we now have a #3 Powerplay and a #7 Penalty Kill!
our specialty teams have been consistently good all season actually... our ES scoring has finally come around... we were 29th or 30th all year in ES scoring up until a couple weeks ago, we're now around 22nd... that is a HUGE improvement in such a short time

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
our specialty teams have been consistently good all season actually... our ES scoring has finally come around... we were 29th or 30th all year in ES scoring up until a couple weeks ago, we're now around 22nd... that is a HUGE improvement in such a short time
Too bad we didn't play CGY 3 more times in the next week, we'd be first in the league.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Yep easy to lose in the shuffle. But the kid has some sick, sick talent. He will score a hell of a lot of NHL goals.
best shot on the team, and it's not close... he might have a top-15 shot in the entire league actually... its simply ridiculous... when he figures out how to find open spots more often, well, watch out

best one-timer we've seen in edmonton in 20 years

Old
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Seeing Hall go beast mode right now cracks me up with the hate on the main board. Remember when Tavares was "infinitely" better than Hall?

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:50 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Agree that Flames are in for a long period of suckiness... Just feel that it can be shortened if they rebuild Center out..

They already have serviceable wingers and depth Dmen.. We banked on high draft picks for all our top players.. CGY can save a couple of years of sucking via trades \ free agency and get quality vets..

A top 3 pick this draft and another in 2014 should be enough to give them a good core to build around. Our years of sucking shouldve been limited to just Hall and Nuge.. but instead it dragged on and on because we made the kids lead the way while our vets took a back seat.
yeah i think calgary is in a better place to start their rebuild than we were in back in 2009-10... they have some actual NHLers, which we were somewhat lacking to say the least, lol

Old
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah i think calgary is in a better place to start their rebuild than we were in back in 2009-10... they have some actual NHLers, which we were somewhat lacking to say the least, lol
They had 3 star players and got nothing in return for them besides some magic beans. If they would have started rebuilding last year when everyone said they should have it probably only would have taken 2 or 3 years to retool. Now they are burning it down and starting from scratch.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
bombers15
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
They had 3 star players and got nothing in return for them besides some magic beans. If they would have started rebuilding last year when everyone said they should have it probably only would have taken 2 or 3 years to retool. Now they are burning it down and starting from scratch.
Yeah. If they started the rebuild 2 or 3 years ago, when it started to become clear (to people of sanity) that their core wasn't going to win them the Stanley Cup, they'd be in better shape. They could have actually traded Kiprusoff and they could have gotten much more for Iginla. Instead, they got hardly anything in return for their biggest assets. They pulled the trigger too late.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
This one kills me!

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
CorpseFX