HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2013 Offseason Goalie Market

Old
04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
EDM is not set for next year... Khabi is off the books and there is no one else in the system ready for backup duties.
Having said that, there shouldnt be an issue finding a backup goalie in the offseason

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:54 PM
ginner classic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Buffalo a candidate for Luongo? lol
We can either:
1) Keep Miller and let Hackett spend the year backing him up, hope he plays well enough to steal some starts (and then look for a vet FA to back him up the following year)
or
2) Accept that it will most likely get worse before it gets better and just roll Enroth/Hackett tandem (if we trade Miller before next season)

In no scenario are we looking to pick up a star goalie with a massive contract.
It's my opinion that Buffalo and St Louis are real wild card teams for Luongo. It's a stretch....but one goalie leaving (Miller) creates another opening. I don't believe Enroth has shown anything that should give a team confidence to have him as a starter......like NYI with Poulin/Nilson) my assumption is that every team needs one goalie they can bank on. Buffalo can give Hackett another year to mature, use Enroth as a backup again, and pick form the pool that's available this year if Miller leaves. You will notice that I had them signing Bryz....

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:55 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
EDM is not set for next year... Khabi is off the books and there is no one else in the system ready for backup duties.
Having said that, there shouldnt be an issue finding a backup goalie in the offseason
I was talking about starters purely. I don't reall care about backups that much unless a two-headed monster emerges (Anaheim) creating a potential seller.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
nycbruins*

Every time Tim Thomas is counted out, he comes back even better.

He'll be playing next season, IMO. Wonder if the league will allow the Islanders to toll the contract & hold him hostage or if he goes to the highest bidder.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Toronto will be all over a goaltender like Backstrom or Smith if they make it to free agency.
I think Smith would get lit up in Toronto. Wrong type of goalie for them. Backstrom is a good fit if Minny lets him go. I think the most probable outcome is both those guys don't make it to UFA.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
We have so many RFAs this year and are an internal budget team.

I do think we will see Halak go during the off-season. He hasn't done what we brought him in for. If he doesn't come back for the playoffs this year this will be his 3rd year not playing in the playoffs due to injury. What's the point of paying him like a #1 if he isn't playing like it?

Luongo just costs too much. I can see us in on Miller though.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Michal Neuvirth is good enough to be a starter, he has experience both regular season and playoffs, and could be had.

He doesn't play because Holtby is the unquestioned #1 and it seems Oates has alienated Neuvy a bit, he's not getting as many starts as he should.
He may be good enought to be a starter but I don't think anyone is going to roll the dice on him in that role to start next season. I liek him but I see Washington keeping both those guys to start next season.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:01 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post

He'll be playing next season, IMO. Wonder if the league will allow the Islanders to toll the contract & hold him hostage or if he goes to the highest bidder.
Isles already said they will not try and toll his contract...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
First off great job on the thread..

second I would love if the Isles somehow aquired Bernier...
I should have added them as well. Bernier is a good fit there.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post

[/LIST]Candidates for Miller
  • San Jose
  • Chicago
  • Philly
  • Phoenix
  • St Louis
  • Anaheim
  • Tampa Bay
  • Vancouver
  • Columbus
  • Dallas
  • Colorado
  • Edmonton
  • Toronto
  • Tampa
  • Winnipeg
All of these teams are candidates for Miller.

Why---he is much more attractive than either Luongo or Bryz. He has only a one yr contract---thus he would be no different than a 1 yr rental for a playoff run.

If chicago loses in the first round and its the goalies fault---look for a trade of Saad + 1st for Miller.

Vancouver---this is contingent on them moving Luongo. As on another thread the type of deal that could happen. Vancouver gets a pick plus a goalie then compliance buyout Luongo and he signs with that team as a UFA. In that circumstance they could aquire Miller as depth in golaie for a year.

these 3 teams have a decent shot of resigning him at a below market discount because he wants to be closer to his wife.....

Phoenix has an issue with Mike Smith being a UFA---

San Jose---Miller is an upgrade on Niemi

Anaheim---Hiller + #1 for Miller has been talked about.

St Louis---Halak+ for Miller

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Isles already said they will not try and toll his contract...
Alright. Wonder where he'll be wanted & vice versa. I think he's a nutcase, but never count him out.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbruins View Post

I thought Thomas said he wanted to play in the 2014 Olympics.

I would think he'll need to play somewhere in the NHL, so he can impress Team USA execs.

I doubt it'll be on LI. They haven't tolled his contract, don't look like they will and are try to extend Nabby's deal.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
All of these teams are candidates for Miller.

Why---he is much more attractive than either Luongo or Bryz. He has only a one yr contract---thus he would be no different thatn a 1 yr rental for a playoff run.

If chicago loses in the first round and its the goalies fault---look for a trade of Saad + 1st for Miller.

Vancouver---this is contingent on them moving Luongo. As on another thread the type of deal that could happen. Vancouver gets a pick plus a goalie then compliance buyout Luongo and he signs with that team as a UFA. In that circumstance they could aquire Miller as depth in golaie for a year.

these 2 teams have a decent shot of resigning him at a below market discount because he wants to be closer to his wife.....

Phoenix has an issue with Mike Smith being a UFA---

San Jose---Miller is an upgrade on Niemi

Anaheim---Hiller + #1 for Miller has been talked about.

St Louis---Halak+ for Miller
Vancouver is 100% not a candidate for Miller. Same for Anaheim IMO. Niemi has been great this season.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Backlund

vCash: 50
Feaster seems to think Ramo and Berra are the two best goalies not in the NHL. It wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season with both battling for the starting job.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Djp

i also believe Buffalo has an offseason deal planned out that would be:

Bernier for Enroth + 1 or both of LA 2nds sent to Buffalo.

that is why they were 2014 and 2015. If La makes a cup run they will only have a few days before the draft---hard for them to do trades. thus by making it 14 and 15 they have time to try and work out such a deal.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Feaster seems to think Ramo and Berra are the two best goalies not in the NHL. It wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season with both battling for the starting job.
I have no confidence that he will be in a position to make that call in the offseason. The organization is a train wreck. But you are right.....nothing should be put past them.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Djp

Quote:
Vancouver is 100% not a candidate for Miller. Same for Anaheim IMO. Niemi has been great this season.
Did you actually read what I wroe---only if Luongo was given a buy out or traded. He would give them golie insurance for next year.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
i also believe Buffalo has an offseason deal planned out that would be:

Bernier for Enroth + 1 or both of LA 2nds sent to Buffalo.

that is why they were 2014 and 2015. If La makes a cup run they will only have a few days before the draft---hard for them to do trades. thus by making it 14 and 15 they have time to try and work out such a deal.
Don't you think the Hackett acquisition means they are sorted for youngsters? I'd think they'd want a veteran to replace Miller (if he is moved). Even if it is a stop gap like Khabby, Nabby etc.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Did you actually read what I wroe---only if Luongo was given a buy out or traded. He would give them golie insurance for next year.
Schneider.

We will not revisit our current situation by buying out Luongo and trading for Miller. Not going to happen. 0%

Old
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I thought Thomas said he wanted to play in the 2014 Olympics.

I would think he'll need to play somewhere in the NHL, so he can impress Team USA execs.

I doubt it'll be on LI. They haven't tolled his contract, don't look like they will and are try to extend Nabby's deal.
i give Thomas <5% chance of making the Olympic team.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Djp

Quote:
Don't you think the Hackett acquisition means they are sorted for youngsters? I'd think they'd want a veteran to replace Miller (if he is moved). Even if it is a stop gap like Khabby, Nabby etc.
they want a 2 tandem group to fight for the starting job. It makes sense given both Enroth and Bernier are RFAs after this season.

sure they could also go for an older veteran---but it would be more like Hiller or Halak than Khabbi or Nabby. hiller is in the last year of his contract next year.

They have apromising youngester in Makarov (sp) who is in the WHL and would be in the AHL next season.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
they want a 2 tandem group to fight for the starting job. It makes sense given both Enroth and Bernier are RFAs after this season.

sure they could also go for an older veteran---but it would be more like Hiller or Halak than Khabbi or Nabby. hiller is in the last year of his contract next year.

They have apromising youngester in Makarov (sp) who is in the WHL and would be in the AHL next season.
The Hackett deal to me means that Bernier is not a target for them. Just my opinion of course.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
I don't believe any team in the NHL is going to go with a tendem like that. Same situation onthe Island. That's like suggesting Nilson/Poulin. Why start the year with the worst goalie tandem? Makes no sense. I assume every team aspires for one starter they can count on. Khudobin is as risky as any team should go IMO.
Just because you don't believe it doesn't make it true, most likely MacDonald is re-signed and the start Ramo - MacDonald until we see what Berra can do in the AHL but it seems Calgary is willing to roll the dice and go with inexperience. It really isn't that risky when you consider the fact that they most likely will be a bottom 10 team again regardless of goaltending.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:24 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
There are a lot of people talking about a goalie glut this offseason and I wanted to throw the following Canuck-centric analysis out there.....I try to be as unbviased as I can be.

Teams that are set in goal through the start of next season assuming no management changes or surprises in the playoffs. This list teams nobody really debates if they have a legit starter for next season. I assume Miller is going to be traded. Like all the other keepers on my list.....his availability adds a goalie on the market AND adds a buyer.

Set for next year (starters)
  • Pittsburgh
  • Boston
  • Ottawa
  • NYR
  • Carolina
  • Montreal
  • San Jose
  • Chicago
  • Anaheim
  • LA
  • Vancouver
  • Nashville
  • Columbus
  • Dallas
  • Colorado
  • Edmonton

Wildcards Likely Set for Next Year
  • St Louis*
  • Toronto*
  • Tampa*
  • Winnipeg*

Starters/Elite Prospects Potentially Available Next Year:
  • Luongo/Schneider (Trade)
  • Miller (Trade)
  • Smith (UFA)
  • Backstrom (UFA)
  • Halak (Trade)
  • Hiller (Trade)
  • Bernier (Trade)
  • Bryzgalov (UFA*)
  • Khudobin (UFA)
  • Howard (UFA)
Aging Veterans that Could Start
  • Nabokov
  • Kipper
Players Potentially Done
  • Khabby
  • Kipper
  • Brodeur
  • Bryzgalov
  • Theodore
  • Hedberg
  • Biron
  • Harding
Youngsters that may not be ready to start
  • Allen
  • Holtby
  • Markstrom
  • Bernier
Goalies that are either not ready or will never be ready for the starting job
  • Nilson/Poulin - Backups or not ready
  • Hackett - Not ready. Good potential.
  • Lehner - One more year as a backup. All world talent.
  • Campbell - Not ready
  • Visentin - Not ready
  • Elliott - Not good enough
  • Subban - Years away
Potentially Open Starting Seats
  • Washington
  • NYI
  • Philly
  • Buffalo
  • Florida
  • New Jersey
  • Calgary
  • Minnesota
  • Phoenix
  • Toronto
  • Detroit
  • St Louis
Past Openings Currently Filled
  • Chicago - Unless there is a first round meltdown, they are sorted for now
  • San Jose - Niemi has been the MVP with Thornton
  • Columbus - Bob's doing great
How it could play out...my SWAG

Washington - I think Holtby can keep it together. No change
NYI - Miller. They have the assets to acquire him and the cap space. They could cheap out and go with Nabby another year, but the players in the system are not worthy of missing out on a big fish. Miller wants to go west but LA/SJ/ANA are all sorted in net. Pheonix won't be able to pay the cap cost.
Philly - Schneider/Luongo. Bryz is a buyout.
Buffalo - Bryzgalov. If they trade Miller, I think they get left without a seat just like Calgary below. Sign a vet and try out the youth.
Florida - Markstrom. The future is now. He is ready. Maybe bring back Theodore for one more year and ditch Clemmenson. Markstrom is NHL ready. They need a reliable veteran backup, not an aging star starter. Tallon would be a fool to trade for Lou.
New Jersey - Bernier. One year to learn from Brodeur. Perfect fit IMO. They have a few assets that LA would want to make a deal.
Calgary - Khudobin. I think they'll roll the dice on a cheaper option. I expect they will lose the bidding war with NJ on Bernier simply due to divisional rivalry. Bryzgalov is another possibility.
Minnesota - Backstrom. Deserves another contract with Minny. Better the devil you know for both parties.
Phoenix - Smith This situation could get quite strange. In my books, Smith is a product of a system, and is very overrated. He has not played that well this season and has a pretty high opinion of his worth. Phoenix is not going to break the bank to sign him but don't have a lot of options. They could make a play for Khudobin or even try a deal with Anaheim for Hiller...but in the end I think Smith will realize he has as good a thing going as he is ever going to have.
Toronto - Kipper. Fatal half measures yet again. If Kipper retires and Reimer/Scrivens show weakness, I am not sure how patient that fan base is going to be. Nonis may not have a lot of pressure, but that Reimer goalie of the future thing has been sold for three years.
Detroit - Howard re-signs, they have no trade fodder and better the devil you know
St Louis - Halak/Allen. I think the improved D will keep this tandem together and cash constraints as well. If Halak fails and Allen is clearly not ready, they will be players this summer for sure.
Tampa Bay - Bishop/Lindback Stevie will live in denial to start the year at least. One of these guys may emerge as a legit starter. Both required overpayment to acquire and both have serious question marks.

Remaining Goalies and Wildcards

Hiller starts year in Anaheim. Poor numbers and Fasth' relative inexperience means the return of the two headed monster next year IMO. Hiller will be available later in the year if Fasth remains as good as he is now. They can afford to be patient with their decisions. If Hiller was on the market it would balance things out between spaces available and goalies avilable. If he stays in Anaheim to start next season there is one more spot available than starters to fill it.

Winnipeg is a wild card in that Schneider's availability and the relations between the teams could make a deal possible. I have to think they are not loving the numbers that Pavalec has put up even though he should get better than he is.

Pittsburgh could enter the market if Fleury can't get it done this year. I personally think Fleury redeems himself.

Conclusion

I fail to see how anyone thinks there is a goalie glut this offseason. While I assume that Philly is a certainty to buy out Bryz and that Miller is on the market, if any one of Washington, Tampa, Toronto, or St Louis experience a stumble there is goign to be real demand for goalies and a shortage of supply. If Kipper retires, or Nabby or Bryz return to Russia maybe moreso. Hiller can fill one opening, and maybe Nabby is an option for another year, but what I see is sufficient demand to find a home for Lou and a potential bidding war for Schneider if he is made available. There will also be a bidding war for Bernier. Miller will attract bids from at least four teams IMO.

Bidders on Schneider if available
  • Philly
  • Buffalo
  • New Jersey
  • NYI
  • Minnesota
  • TB *
  • Winnipeg*
Serious Bernier bidding should be between
  • Calgary
  • New Jersey
  • Phoenix
  • NYI
with New Jersey edging the others out on geography.

Candidates for Luongo
  • Toronto (I would not trade with them at this point if I was Gillis)
  • New Jersey
  • Philly
  • Buffalo
  • St Louis *
  • Vancouver *
Candidates for Miller
  • NYI
  • Philly
  • Toronto
  • Phoenix
  • St Louis *
Insightful. Great post. Thanks for the effort.

Lundqvist is obviously not going anywhere. We like Biron, he's a fine backup, but with dwindling cap we may need to think grooming a cheaper replacement.

This could mean Biron for assets once that replacement is available.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
i give Thomas <5% chance of making the Olympic team.
I won't debate what his chances of making the team are. Just pointing out that if he wants to be choosen and for him to have any chance, he'll need to play in the NHL next season.

By not tolling his contract, I think he'd be a ufa this July.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-bruins-goalie

However, the 38-year-old has told the team, through his agent, Bill Zito, that he wants to play in the NHL next season and also has an interest in representing Team USA at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, according to CSNNewEngland.com.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote