HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Players wanting out

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
  #101
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He did.

That's why the BS about Weber wanting out is just that. If Weber wanted out, he could have told Poile not to match the offersheet and Poile would have let Weber go.
I just wish Weber would come out and be vocal in support of the team, like Fisher did today. Maybe he's just not that kind of guy and the fact that he's so quiet doesn't mean anything...but I feel like an insecure girlfriend who just needs a little bit of reassurance! I need to know how much you love us, Webs!

We can all speculate either way about Weber, but that's all it is...speculation. We don't really know whether he wants out or not, because he hasn't made any strong statements one way or the other. That's why people still feel insecure about it.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
  #102
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,893
vCash: 500
Yes he has made statements about it. Some just refuse to listen.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...agent-comments

Quote:
Regarding his decision to sign the offer sheet itself, Weber simply chalked it up to the business side of the game.

"We utilized the CBA the best way we could," said Weber.

Quote:
Along with talking about how excited he was to return to Nashville, he also did his part to distance himself from comments made by his agent over the past week regarding his interest in playing for Philadelphia, and how he may not want to be a part of another rebuilding phase in Nashville.

"I guess that was his business," said Weber during a conference call on Wednesday afternoon. "His feelings, I guess. I wasn't a part of any of that. I love the city of Nashville. I love the fans."
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nse/56484434/1

Quote:
"I love the city of Nashville. I love the fans. I love my teammates," Weber said. "It's a very positive thing that ownership (in Nashville) has stepped up and shown they are going to be a team that will spend to the cap and bring guys in and be a successful team."


Last edited by triggrman: 04-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
  #103
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
#notimpressed

None of those statements, except the last one, express any real positive feelings about Nashville. And even that last statement was more "I'm glad the owners finally put their money where their mouth is" and less "I'm so glad to be in Nashville for the next 14 years and am totally committed to helping us win a Cup".

Like I said, maybe I'm just being an insecure crazy fan, but if he's really committed to Nashville it wouldn't be that hard to just say so and remove a lot of doubt.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
  #104
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
#notimpressed

None of those statements, except the last one, express any real positive feelings about Nashville. And even that last statement was more "I'm glad the owners finally put their money where their mouth is" and less "I'm so glad to be in Nashville for the next 14 years and am totally committed to helping us win a Cup".

Like I said, maybe I'm just being an insecure crazy fan, but if he's really committed to Nashville it wouldn't be that hard to just say so and remove a lot of doubt.
lol, I guess.

I would think saying I love Nashville, the city, the team, the fans and my teammates is a positive statement on his feeling of Nashville, but maybe it's me reading into it.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  #105
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I appreciate you finding the quotes, but you know talk is cheap. What was he supposed to say? "Look, I signed the offer sheet with Philly because the contract was going to pay me SO much money, and right up front as well. With the CBA changing I had to act now. Plus Philly is a big market where they have a lot of talent and an owner who is going to spend to the cap every year. I am stunned Nashville was able to match. They have never really spent money here so this is a shock for sure. So I will play here this season, give the guys my best effort, and once it's over I will get with David and see about getting a trade somewhere else."

In the situation he found himself in OF COURSE you are going to say the right things. Maybe he meant them. Maybe he didn't. The only way we will know if the offseason comes and goes without a trade demand.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
  #106
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
#notimpressed

None of those statements, except the last one, express any real positive feelings about Nashville. And even that last statement was more "I'm glad the owners finally put their money where their mouth is" and less "I'm so glad to be in Nashville for the next 14 years and am totally committed to helping us win a Cup".

Like I said, maybe I'm just being an insecure crazy fan, but if he's really committed to Nashville it wouldn't be that hard to just say so and remove a lot of doubt.
Would you tell Shea Weber, to his face, that he doesn't want to be in Nashville?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
  #107
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
For example, here's what Getzlaf said after he re-signed:

Quote:
"It's always been my goal to be here," Getzlaf told reporters after the morning skate for the Ducks' home game against Calgary. "I've always envisioned myself playing for one team, especially this organization. It's been great to me. It's nice to be settled in and knowing that I'm going to be here for a long time."
This is what Perry said after re-signing:

Quote:
“Staying in Anaheim has always been my first choice,” said Perry. “This is a great place to play, and I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to remain here. I want to thank to the Samuelis and the entire Ducks organization for their belief in me. I’m pleased to have this done so our focus can remain on our ultimate goal – bringing another Stanley Cup to Orange County.”
THAT'S what I wanna hear.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
  #108
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Would you tell Shea Weber, to his face, that he doesn't want to be in Nashville?
No, because I'm not saying that he doesn't want to be here. I'm saying that I don't KNOW if he wants to be here, because he's never made strong statements one way or the other.

So I wouldn't tell him, to his face, that he doesn't want to be here. But I would definitely, to his face, ASK him if he wants to be here or not. I wouldn't necessarily expect an honest answer, but I'd ask.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
  #109
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
No, because I'm not saying that he doesn't want to be here. I'm saying that I don't KNOW if he wants to be here, because he's never made strong statements one way or the other.

So I wouldn't tell him, to his face, that he doesn't want to be here. But I would definitely, to his face, ASK him if he wants to be here or not. I wouldn't necessarily expect an honest answer, but I'd ask.
Agreed. It's times like these where I wished the local media had more of an edge. I saw Weber's answer when he was asked about his agent's quote today in regards to Marty wanting out. I would have like to have seen a follow-up question: 'Erat seems to think this team is 7-8 years away from contending for a Cup again. Your agent suggested you didn't want to be part of a rebuild. Are you going to approach David about a trade once the season is over?'

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
  #110
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Agreed. It's times like these where I wished the local media had more of an edge. I saw Weber's answer when he was asked about his agent's quote today in regards to Marty wanting out. I would have like to have seen a follow-up question: 'Erat seems to think this team is 7-8 years away from contending for a Cup again. Your agent suggested you didn't want to be part of a rebuild. Are you going to approach David about a trade once the season is over?'
it will be a cold day in the deep south when the local media / bloggers in our locker room ask a question that they think will get someone mad and take away their press pass....

well, I hope the weber doubters on here (and that includes me) will gladly have to eat crow for the next decade...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
  #111
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 50
Weber may be a jock but he cant be such a complete dumb jock that he didnt know that by signing the offer sheet he was committing to play in either Nashville or Philly for the rest of his career. If he signed that offer sheet knowing he didnt want to be here then hes a moron, and I just dont think he's a moron.

He was happy here, he's happy to be back, and he'll be even happier if they build a winner around him.

If we make moves this summer to become more competitive, I think he will be as happy as a clam...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:54 PM
  #112
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,893
vCash: 500
This is what kills me. You guys complain that you don't hear anything from Weber about wanting to be here I put the quotes in here that says he loves being here, that the Predators matching his contract was a huge positive, he loves the city, loves the fans, loves the teammates.

And the response I get is, well he didn't say it like Perry did or the even better "well what did you expect him to say"

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  #113
mollymcdeath
I'm drunk.
 
mollymcdeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: Belarus
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
This is what kills me. You guys complain that you don't hear anything from Weber about wanting to be here I put the quotes in here that says he loves being here, that the Predators matching his contract was a huge positive, he loves the city, loves the fans, loves the teammates.

And the response I get is, well he didn't say it like Perry did or the even better "well what did you expect him to say"
They want a passionate outcry from Weber that he loves Nashville so much he will someday name his firstborn after it. The thing is, your quotes are legit and really typical of Weber. He isn't a really emotional guy, I mean have you all ever listened to his tone of voice after a huge win or a terrible blowout? It's the same. That's just Weber, and for now he is here and people should stop freaking out about whether or not he wants to be here. He is here who cares if he likes it or not, he has a job to do and it's not to be a steward of the city.

mollymcdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:53 PM
  #114
Preddownsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymcdeath View Post
They want a passionate outcry from Weber that he loves Nashville so much he will someday name his firstborn after it. The thing is, your quotes are legit and really typical of Weber. He isn't a really emotional guy, I mean have you all ever listened to his tone of voice after a huge win or a terrible blowout? It's the same. That's just Weber, and for now he is here and people should stop freaking out about whether or not he wants to be here. He is here who cares if he likes it or not, he has a job to do and it's not to be a steward of the city.
I care. I care if your world-class d-man who is the face of your franchise and your Captain wants to play for your team. If you think that doesn't matter well agree to disagree then.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
  #115
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I care. I care if your world-class d-man who is the face of your franchise and your Captain wants to play for your team. If you think that doesn't matter well agree to disagree then.
I care for the reasons you stated, and because I wonder what effect his willingness to leave has on our ability to attract UFAs. We can debate all day whether he wants to be here or not, but if he signed an offer sheet with another team he was definitely at least willing to leave. Other NHL players probably know his intentions better than us. If I was a high-dollar UFA considering Nashville, it might give me pause to know that Suter walked and Weber might not be committed.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:47 AM
  #116
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I care for the reasons you stated, and because I wonder what effect his willingness to leave has on our ability to attract UFAs. We can debate all day whether he wants to be here or not, but if he signed an offer sheet with another team he was definitely at least willing to leave. Other NHL players probably know his intentions better than us. If I was a high-dollar UFA considering Nashville, it might give me pause to know that Suter walked and Weber might not be committed.
When you think of the Avalanche what player do you think of? Sakic, right? He signed an offer sheet many years ago as well. He signed a great deal for him. He would've gone to play for the Rangers if I'm not mistaken. Colorado matched. Did anyone ever question his commitment to Colorado? I'm sure there were some doubters but at the end of the day, he is Mr. Avalanche.

We as a fan base take things personally. What Weber did was business, it wasn't personal. He had an opportunity to sign a once in a lifetime deal. He knew when he signed it he was going to play in one of two places, Philly or Nashville. Why sign a deal like that if you have a chance of playing in a place you either don't like or want to be in? There's tons of speculation on whether or not he's committed to being here. That's all that it is, speculation amongst fans. We are emotionally involved. Take the emotions out and look at the facts. He signed an offer sheet that he knew we could match, we did, he's here long term. Until he comes out and says, I want out, I'm not going to stress about him wanting to be here.

If he really wanted out, why did he sign a 3 year contract a few years back that left him as a RFA? He could've done the same thing Suter did and sign a deal that would've left him an UFA and be gone once his contract was up.

The guy comes to play every night for us. Would I like more emotion, sure but is that him, not so sure. Piss him off and he turns into a beast. That's my only complaint about him. I wish he'd play with an edge more often. Other than that, I'm happy he's here and that every other team in the NHL knows he's here long term.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:59 AM
  #117
preds1
Registered User
 
preds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 50
A year ago a lot of us felt keeping two of the big three was a decent goal.
Rinne & Weber are now locked up long term. It may not have been pretty, but it's done.
Everything else is just speculation.

Time to focus on the real issues to get us back to contending.
I expect Poile will do something in the summer to address the offense, mainly because it's very obvious to everyone right now.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:11 PM
  #118
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
When you think of the Avalanche what player do you think of? Sakic, right? He signed an offer sheet many years ago as well. He signed a great deal for him. He would've gone to play for the Rangers if I'm not mistaken. Colorado matched. Did anyone ever question his commitment to Colorado? I'm sure there were some doubters but at the end of the day, he is Mr. Avalanche.

We as a fan base take things personally. What Weber did was business, it wasn't personal. He had an opportunity to sign a once in a lifetime deal. He knew when he signed it he was going to play in one of two places, Philly or Nashville. Why sign a deal like that if you have a chance of playing in a place you either don't like or want to be in? There's tons of speculation on whether or not he's committed to being here. That's all that it is, speculation amongst fans. We are emotionally involved. Take the emotions out and look at the facts. He signed an offer sheet that he knew we could match, we did, he's here long term. Until he comes out and says, I want out, I'm not going to stress about him wanting to be here.

If he really wanted out, why did he sign a 3 year contract a few years back that left him as a RFA? He could've done the same thing Suter did and sign a deal that would've left him an UFA and be gone once his contract was up.

The guy comes to play every night for us. Would I like more emotion, sure but is that him, not so sure. Piss him off and he turns into a beast. That's my only complaint about him. I wish he'd play with an edge more often. Other than that, I'm happy he's here and that every other team in the NHL knows he's here long term.
I would be absolutely thrilled if Weber's situation turns out the same as Sakic's. We all want the same thing here.

I have no clue whether Weber wants out or not and I understand all the points you made about him wanting to stay. But the points can be flipped around, too. For instance, you say he signed an offer sheet he knew we could match. I say, he signed an offer sheet. Nobody knows if Weber knew we could match it or not. If I had to guess I'd say that he actually thought we probably couldn't, and so did Philly. There's no motivation for Philly to drop an offer sheet otherwise. And really there's no motivation for Weber to sign one either; he could've used the offer sheet to pressure GMDP to pay up without actually signing it.

If I were Weber, and I wanted to stay in Nashville and was truly using the offer sheet only as a means to get the contract I wanted, then when I received the offer sheet from Philly I would've gone to Poile and said "Philly just dropped an offer sheet on me, these are the terms. I want to stay in Nashville, but I want to make my money too. This is what you're gonna need to pay me. If you don't agree, I'm signing the offer sheet". I wouldn't have actually signed it. Doing so says that you're okay with leaving and playing for another team. I want my captain to have zero desire to play anywhere but Nashville. I know that's maybe not realistic, but whatever, I'm a fan. That's how I feel.

I don't know why he signed the contract he did a few years back. I can't remember the specifics of that situation, or of Suter's when he signed his last contract with us. I'm sure if he could've convinced GMDP to sign him up until he was a UFA, he would've; what player in his right mind wouldn't?

I respect how you feel about Weber. I'm not one of those people who thinks he for sure wants out, but I'm definitely uneasy about the whole situation. Especially if it affects the locker room now and/or our ability to bring in UFA's. But I really, really hope he pulls a Sakic and becomes known as Mr. Predator.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.