HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Richter Scale

vCash: 500
Moving this here from the Torts thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I think LATELY Sather has done a great job for the most part.
Good joke. Unfortunately, having a couple year stretch of not doing too poorly is not good enough for a GM. I don't think he even has accomplished this and has made his share of boneheaded moves lately, but for the sake of argument let's say he's been fine for 2-3 years. That simply doesn't do it to turn a **** team into a contender. Building a contender takes years. Decisions he made 4 and 5 years ago (and even further) have huge impacts on what this team looks like today. Want examples?

- Had he not signed ****** contracts with Drury or Redden, this years' team would have $7 million more dollars to work with this year under the cap. What does that get you? Do you not think he could have built a better bottom six with $7 million? What about pick up a PMD defensemen or a PP QB? Semin signed with Carolina for $7 mil. The list goes on...

- He's done surprisingly well with mid to late round draft picks recently, I'll give him that. But the man has constantly failed with his high picks in the first round. Other than Marc Staal, the few chances he's had in the past 10 years to draft relatively high in the first round, what has he picked? Dan Blackburn. Hugh Jessiman. Al Montoya. Dylan McIlrath. All were awful picks (though I like McIlrath, I'm bashing it because there were clear better options and because it didn't fill one of our needs). Yes, hindsight is always 20/20, but a lot of these picks left people scratching their heads -- and a lot of the guys passed over were ranked head and shoulders above the picks Sather made. Let's just look at some of the players Sather didn't choose in those 4 drafts who also went in the first round:

Ales Hemsky, R.J. Umberger, Dan Hamhuis, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Mike Green, Vladimir Tarasenko.

Yea... we didn't need any of those guys...

- Signing Gabby instead of either A. waiting for Kovalchuk. Or B. using the salary for virtually anything else -- better 2nd/3rd line players. Better 5th/6th d man. Offensive d-man. Etc.

- Signing Richards' ridiculous contract til he's 40. He got lucky with the extra buyout. But even so, the horrible contract makes it so that Richards has no trade value. So we end up just losing him for nothing if we buy him out; instead of getting valuable pieces in a trade to other teams that are desperate for a 1C. Dumb. As. Rocks.

- Making the Nash deal AND letting all of the FAs walk. If it is just the Nash deal, fine. But he killed the core of this team.

...and of course I'm not including some things from his god awful tenure prior to the lockout. The guy is just a disaster.

Last edited by Richter Scale: 03-29-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old
03-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Richter Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
jessiman and Sangs were not high picks.
Sangs, fine, agreed. But uh - Jessiman? Yea... it wasn't top 5; but in a deep draft - and compared to other Rangers 1st round picks in the past 10 years - picking 12 was pretty good.

It was arguably one of the deepest drafts of all time -- and he takes a chance on a guy playing in the ECAC? That's against amazing competition like the Yale Bulldogs, and the Harvard Crimson!

Here are the players who were picked after Jessiman in the first round of that draft (most of whom it is mind boggling that Sather didn't consider head and shoulders above him):

Dustin Brown
Zach Parise
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Brent Seabrook
Brent Burns
Corey Perry

Here are the other guys who at least made it to the NHL who were drafted after him in the first round:

Brian Boyle
Eric Fehr
Mark Stuart
Patrick Eaves
Steve Bernier

Not to mention the second round had gems like:

Shea Weber
Loui Eriksson
Patrice Bergeron
David Backes

... Though I'll give him a pass for those 4 since all teams with first round picks also passed on them at least once.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Bumped as per yesterday's transactions.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
Nothing's changed... still one of the worst GMs in pro sports and should've been fired over tens years ago. He's lucky he's in NYC, where players want to go and he has no monetary restrictions. Put him in a less attractive destination, with the financial constraints a lot of other GMs work with, and he won't build a team that sniffs the playoffs.
Yeah, put him in a place like Edmonton back in like 1980 and he would suck so bad.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Yeah, put him in a place like Edmonton back in like 1980 and he would suck so bad.
Made me LOL.

04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
That was the most attractive place to be in the 1980's, so wrong again.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That was the most attractive place to be in the 1980's, so wrong again.
Yeah, the Canadian dollar was killing the US dollar and the winters there were very mild.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
Nothing's changed... still one of the worst GMs in pro sports and should've been fired over tens years ago. He's lucky he's in NYC, where players want to go and he has no monetary restrictions. Put him in a less attractive destination, with the financial constraints a lot of other GMs work with, and he won't build a team that sniffs the playoffs.
I don't think he's perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm sure he realizes he's in NYC and acts accordingly. I doubt he'd make the same exact decisions in a different place.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Yeah, the Canadian dollar was killing the US dollar and the winters there were very mild.
If thats the case then you don't know hockey players, and to go even further, you don't know hockey players from the 80's

Old
04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Kershaw

I don't like him at all still. I want him gone regardless of how the rest of the year plays out, unless we win the cup. He is responsible for the team's mediocrity in 12 of his 13 seasons here with only 1 good season to his resume. Cut ties with him and get someone from Detroit, St. Louis or stick with Gorton.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I used to call myself Sathers only fan here in the past. I wasnt on the Sather-hate wagon. Just wanted someone to monitor the checkbook a little better.

But...maybe with his current health and his current age it is time for him to hand over the reigns here in NY. Not getting a pick back from a team that had 3 first rounders to me is a dissapointment. Even though the players last night clearly were factores in the Rangers win, I am not happy about 0 picks in rounds 1 and 2 this up and coming draft. Especially weith the draft being in Jersey. Would have been a fun day to go to this year. Now...not so much!

Old
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I said this in another thread, but these moves are Gorton putting his stamp on the team. Gross wrote a piece about it a week or so ago that Gorton was likely to be running the show at the deadline while Sather was recovering from his surgery. These moves make the team look a lot more like the Bruins. Skill down the middle, a blend of size, grit and speed on the wings, and a group of larger defenders who all have above average to excellent mobility. That Boston team is successful in large part because of the groundwork he laid for Chiarelli.

To me, this looks like the beginnings of transitioning Sather away from the GM role. Less "star power" and more focus on a team that is balanced and can win by committee.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Pizza

He was in the sky box last night. Stogie clenched firmly in mouth. Thinking Slats is giving the Big C a BIG F U.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
JD123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
He was in the sky box last night. Stogie clenched firmly in mouth. Thinking Slats is giving the Big C a BIG F U.
Love how he swoops in and NBC shows him on national tv and boooom Sather is a genius. When we were a joke of the NHL he was as hard to find as bigfoot. And I am pretty sure he was not the architect of this deal.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
JD123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I said this in another thread, but these moves are Gorton putting his stamp on the team. Gross wrote a piece about it a week or so ago that Gorton was likely to be running the show at the deadline while Sather was recovering from his surgery. These moves make the team look a lot more like the Bruins. Skill down the middle, a blend of size, grit and speed on the wings, and a group of larger defenders who all have above average to excellent mobility. That Boston team is successful in large part because of the groundwork he laid for Chiarelli.

To me, this looks like the beginnings of transitioning Sather away from the GM role. Less "star power" and more focus on a team that is balanced and can win by committee.
I believe and HOPE your right

Old
04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Crease

He's really good at making messes. And really good at cleaning them up.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I know, but that doesn't mean he was necessarily running the show for the last few days. I'm not implying that Slats stood aside and let things happen, but I think Gorton was the driving force here.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:55 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know, but that doesn't mean he was necessarily running the show for the last few days. I'm not implying that Slats stood aside and let things happen, but I think Gorton was the driving force here.
Agreed.

Which is one of the reasons I seem to have more faith in these moves than some other folks...I think Gorton has been the driving force for quite a few things, actually. I'm thinking he takes over as GM if Slats ever steps down.

04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

The blue jackets website has a video of the call where the trade was sent in to the NHL
(A lot of teams did this. Pretty cool)

Our guy on the line was Gorton

04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
The blue jackets website has a video of the call where the trade was sent in to the NHL
(A lot of teams did this. Pretty cool)

Our guy on the line was Gorton
Pretty cool. Couldn't find it on the Jacket's site, but here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://nhl.si.com/2013/04/04/video-f...olumbus-trade/

Old
04-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD123 View Post
Love how he swoops in and NBC shows him on national tv and boooom Sather is a genius. When we were a joke of the NHL he was as hard to find as bigfoot. And I am pretty sure he was not the architect of this deal.
I have no idea what goes on internally at the New York Rangers either.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I'm glad we have Gorton. He is very capable. I'd say he and Clark are the best deals Sather has made in his tenure.

Closed Thread