HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 12:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Source: Dustin Leed
Good. I think i remember he didn't get much of a chance to play last yr as he was scratched a couple times. Hope this yrs different

Old
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Source: Dustin Leed
Good for him. I hope he does well.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Could cousins technically be brought up from the phantoms if he plays well or is there a contractual hindrance there?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Could cousins technically be brought up from the phantoms if he plays well or is there a contractual hindrance there?
I'm not a 100% sure but I don't think so since he's only on a try-out contract.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Mota

If for some reason the Flyers sneak into the playoffs, would Laughton or Cousins be able to play without it counting towards a year of their contract?

Old
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Haven't been following the case too closely. Was this expected to happen?
I wondered if the outstanding charges were the reason Cousins hadn't signed his ATO yet, conditions such as not leaving the country might have applied. No idea if that's the case but it had crossed my mind since we hadn't heard about his ATO, glad to hear this is settled and he can get into the AHL for some time.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Charges dropped against Nick Cousins

Sexual-assault charges have been withdrawn against Flyers prospect Nick Cousins and two other junior players.

From the Sault Star newspaper: Nick Cousins, 19, of Belleville, Ont., Andrew Fritsch, 19, of Brantford, and Mark Petaccio, 18, of Sicklerville, N.J., who now plays for the Ottawa 67s, were charged with sexual assault last August.

Full Article

Old
04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

The stigma will remain for years.

04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

If he did indeed do something and there was not enough evidence to prove it, that's terrible for the girl. If he didn't do anything and it was bogus, I am very glad, even though some damage as been done.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
BernieParent

While good news for Cousins and the Flyers organization, I don't know how well justice was served. Way too much unknown in this case, and the citation of “no reasonable prospect of conviction” doesn't point to a matter of innocence but rather getting to that "beyond reasonable doubt" bar.

Colour me agnostic about what this means for Cousins going forward.

Old
04-04-2013, 01:58 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Great news time to move on..

Old
04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The stigma will remain for years.
on the internet you are guilty until proven innocent, and even then people will believe what they believe. See twitter, facebook, internet message boards like this.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:54 PM
FlyersFan61290

knowing only what i know i'm glad

Old
04-04-2013, 03:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm sure we'll all be constantly reminded of this if the kid ever makes the NHL and makes some type of impact.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:41 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm sure we'll all be constantly reminded of this if the kid ever makes the NHL and makes some type of impact.
Doesn't matter. He got the best possible outcome of a very troubling Charge. Reading between the lines, it seems everyone agrees there was sex. The girl may have also just been getting back and Cousins or the other two after deciding she didnt like being with 3 guys.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Doesn't matter. He got the best possible outcome of a very troubling Charge. Reading between the lines, it seems everyone agrees there was sex. The girl may have also just been getting back and Cousins or the other two after deciding she didnt like being with 3 guys.
Ah I'm not going to sit here going over possible scenario's of what could have happened. No one here knows what happened. Truth is whether you like it or not you'll be hearing about it by rival fans in couple of years if he makes some type of impact.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:42 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Ah I'm not going to sit here going over possible scenario's of what could have happened. No one here knows what happened. Truth is whether you like it or not you'll be hearing about it by rival fans in couple of years if he makes some type of impact.
The fact a woman judge decided there wasnt evidence to proceed to me speaks there wasnt a ****. But im on Cousins side.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
PF

Quote:
The fact a woman judge decided there wasnt evidence to proceed to me speaks there wasnt a ****. But im on Cousins side.
My Law lecturer once told me in that 'type' of case a female jury were less likely to convict a man than a male jury. The judge being female means nothing.

Not that I claim to have any idea what went down, I'll trust in the law and give Cousins the benefit of the doubt personally.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Again all I was saying was we're going to still hear about it and that it's dumb to sit here and act like any of us know what went down. I don't get where you think I'm against Cousins because of that.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
tuckrr

Who cares, no one will ever know what really happened.
We do know Cousins will be free to play professional hockey though! ^_^

Old
04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

As others have pointed out, we'll never know what happened that night. With that being said, I hope Cousins realizes his opportunity and NEVER puts himself in a position like that again. If there's a second incident or if a second incident were to occur, he should never see light of day.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:04 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Quote:

It's dumb to continue debating this, but it's also dumb (and dangerous) to let comments like these go without raising an eyebrow.

It's 100% wrong to even suggest that she was faking it when you have no knowledge of the case. The amount of false accusations that actually occur is a lot lower than you might think. In order to accuse someone of **** and pursue charges, the victim needs to be willing to show their face in a crowded courtroom and admit in front of all those people that he/she was *****. They then need to be willing to be grilled by opposing attorneys, called all kinds of names (one that rhymes with "mutt"), have their past dug into (especially when you accuse someone of means like an OHL star / NHL draft pick).

My point is, it's downright irresponsible and shameful behavior to even insinuate that a victim might've made the whole thing up because she didn't want to admit she was willingly with 3 guys after getting tipsy at a party. The stuff a **** victim has to go through after making an accusation is far worse than the "shame" of admitting to friends/family that you willingly slept with a guy or guys.

I highly doubt the prosecution would've taken this case this far if it were totally without merit. Unfortunately, there was a lack of evidence (which is why the case was dismissed), so we'll never truly know what happens.

But personally, I think Cousins got off lightly. And I'll be "happy" for him so long as he uses this second chance for good and never puts himself in a similar situation again, but I'll never "support" Cousins by basically insinuating that the victim was a liar. That's just wrong.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:20 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
It's dumb to continue debating this, but it's also dumb (and dangerous) to let comments like these go without raising an eyebrow.

It's 100% wrong to even suggest that she was faking it when you have no knowledge of the case. The amount of false accusations that actually occur is a lot lower than you might think. In order to accuse someone of **** and pursue charges, the victim needs to be willing to show their face in a crowded courtroom and admit in front of all those people that he/she was *****. They then need to be willing to be grilled by opposing attorneys, called all kinds of names (one that rhymes with "mutt"), have their past dug into (especially when you accuse someone of means like an OHL star / NHL draft pick).

My point is, it's downright irresponsible and shameful behavior to even insinuate that a victim might've made the whole thing up because she didn't want to admit she was willingly with 3 guys after getting tipsy at a party. The stuff a **** victim has to go through after making an accusation is far worse than the "shame" of admitting to friends/family that you willingly slept with a guy or guys.

I highly doubt the prosecution would've taken this case this far if it were totally without merit. Unfortunately, there was a lack of evidence (which is why the case was dismissed), so we'll never truly know what happens.

But personally, I think Cousins got off lightly. And I'll be "happy" for him so long as he uses this second chance for good and never puts himself in a similar situation again, but I'll never "support" Cousins by basically insinuating that the victim was a liar. That's just wrong.
Well said.

People are being insensitive to how the alleged victim might feel. If what happened actually did happen, I really feel bad for her.

But none of us know any details about the case, so all we can do I'd accept the outcome. Stop making judgement calls when you don't have any intimate knowledge of the case. I'm not "happy" for cousins because honestly, I have no idea if he did anything wrong or not, but I'm also not going to attatch a criminal label to him, because we have just as much proof to suggest either side of the spectrum.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:41 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post

No harm no foul lets move on.....

Old
04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
on the internet you are guilty until proven innocent, and even then people will believe what they believe. See twitter, facebook, internet message boards like this.
I agree.

Closed Thread