HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
If we are in the 10 range, what is it going to take to get to number 5?

If we stay at 10 we have a shot at Pulock.

If we get to 5 We can get Nurse
Nurse will probably be drafted between 5 and 10, but not 5th overall. Pulock will be drafted after 10. So will Ristolainen.

If we're out of the playoffs, we have a decent shot to get at least Pulock or Ristolainen, wherever we end.
If we have an early exit, we still have a shot at Hagg. If we don't, well it would be epic.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Nurse will probably be drafted between 5 and 10, but not 5th overall. Pulock will be drafted after 10. So will Ristolainen.

If we're out of the playoffs, we have a decent shot to get at least Pulock or Ristolainen, wherever we end.
If we have an early exit, we still have a shot at Hagg. If we don't, well it would be epic.
If all the good defensemen are gone by the time the Flyers pick if they make the playoffs and there is no other prospect they feel is an impact player, I would be fine if they trade the pick for an established young defenseman. If the Flyers pick 15, does that pick and Read get you Yandle? Myers? Shattenkirk? Of course the Flyers would need to make the playoffs.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Realistically, I see this team picking 7th or 8th overall. Still puts us in contention for the lottery, albeit a small chance. Would probably still land us nurse considering most of the teams below us need offense badly.

My prediction;
1.Colorado: Jones
2.Florida: Mackinnon
3.Calgary: Drouin
4.Tampa Bay: Barkov
5.Buffalo: Lindholm
6.Dallas: Monahan
7.Philadelphia: Nurse
8.Carolina: Nichushkin
9.Phoenix: Shinkaruk
10.Washington: Zadorov
11.Nashville: Domi
12.Winnipeg: Wennberg
13.NYI: Ristolainen
14. New Jersey: Pulock
15. Edmonton: Morrissey
16. Calgary(STL): Erne
17. Columbus: Mantha
18. Detroit: Haag
19. San Jose: Gauthier
20. Columbus(NYR): Lazar
21. Ottawa: Zykov
22. Toronto: Fucale
23. Columbus(LA): Hartman
24. Buffalo(MIN): Meuller
25. Vancouver: Rychel
26. Montreal: Horvat
27. Calgary(PIT): Bowey
28. Anaheim: Petan
29. Boston: Klimchuk
30. Chicago: Lehkonen

Old
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Curufinwe

If we just miss the playoffs then Ristolainen would be a good pick. Maybe he can play a year with Kimmo.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Although a top 5 would be nice, it's amazing to see the resilience of this team. We are literally dropping like flies out there but the team fights is ass off. It's okay when you lose because you lack skill and talent, but the flyers still have that with all the injuries. When my team loses because of lack of effort and desire to win, i i have a problem with that. Shows a lot of character, especially their captain. People weren't happy with giroux scrapping it up in front of the net last night, I loved it. It shows the fight he and this team needs to display. You dont complain about the captain Going at it there, you punch in a goal to tie it for him. Show him that his emotional lift sparked the team.

It's seems earlier this year they were a fragile team, but with gagne and Knuble back into the mix they seem to have gained confidence. Gagne is known as a leader so his presence in the locker room is a welcomed addition. We might not make the playoffs, but the team hasn't given up on the season. As a flyers fan and a fan of hockey I can be proud to represent the team.

I will say though I'm afraid the injuries will start to catch up to them. There really is only so many plugs this team can put in until they start playing that way. Not saying the guys are bad players, but youngsters like the Great Dane, Gus, mcginn(seems to already be hitting that rookie wall a little) probably won't keep it up. Now I'm not saying its impossible, but realistically I don't see them maintaining their play. With huskins, gervais, Knuble, and so on playing some bigger minutes, I feel like we might be just out of the race. One thing though is like I said before, I love the fight this team has demonstrated.
After watching the game last night, it was impossible not to be rooting for a win. They fought back for a nail-biting win against Washington, roughed up the Bruins and now this. This hospital-ward of a team is nothing if not resilient. I am trying to be Zen about it that it's great and exciting when they win, but a loss isn't as devastating as in a normal season. Less furniture tossing means everyone's happy at home!

And it's good for the younger players, too; a spirit of half-hearted effort is a poor environment for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish
This team can't even die properly
This team at present reminds me of my favourite medical cartoon (I work in medical publishing): two doctors are talking outside of the half-open door of a hospital room, inside which a grumpy man is sitting cross-armed in the bed. One doctor says to the other, "He's a tough old guy. I've never seen anyone bounce back from an autopsy."

I knew they would get a spark before the end of the season. How much that spark carries them in that wide gulf between a superior draft position and the postseason remains to be seen.

Old
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Prongo
Beer

We all should remember our mock drafts and other agencies mock drafts are worthless when it comes to the actual draft. No matter what, there is always 1-2 players who are ranked extremely high that fall and fall. Maybe the Flyers will have that opportunity at 7-10 or wherever they pick. Teams also rank the players much differently then agencies too. I just hope one of those elite 4-5 players in the top there drop to us, and we reap the benefits. Just like Couts. Fowler the other year and Forsberg last year(?)

Old
04-04-2013, 01:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Here's a hypothetical question for all. Say the Flyers have pick number 5 at this year's draft and they get a call from a team like Phoenix. Phoenix is looking to move up in the draft and Phoenix offers their 1st, Mikkel Boedker, David Runblad, and Brandon Gormley and in return, they want the Flyers 5th overall pick, Sean Couturier and Matt Read. Would you make this move, yes or no?

Old
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Here's a hypothetical question for all. Say the Flyers have pick number 5 at this year's draft and they get a call from a team like Phoenix. Phoenix is looking to move up in the draft and Phoenix offers their 1st, Mikkel Boedker, David Runblad, and Brandon Gormley and in return, they want the Flyers 5th overall pick, Sean Couturier and Matt Read. Would you make this move, yes or no?
Where is Phoenix's pick?

Old
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Where is Phoenix's pick?
Phoenix's pick is at 9

Old
04-04-2013, 02:25 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Phoenix's pick is at 9
Counter offer, #9 OVR and Gormley for the #5

Old
04-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Definitely no. Flyers will have given up potentially the two best players in that deal in Couturier and the #5 pick. This draft has 8 elite players, and 5 special players, that have separated from the rest. Gormley should be the cost to move out of the top 8 back to the 9th overall.

Edit. Upon further review, that deal is worst then I had originial thought. The Flyers give up the higher pick, the higher scoring top 6 forward, and a 20 year old NHL center for two older(age versus Couturier) defense prospects who haven't established themselves at the NHL level, a younger version of Matt Read, and a pick just outside the elite talent of this draft.

Last edited by Psuhockey: 04-04-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Definitely no. Flyers will have given up potentially the two best players in that deal in Couturier and the #5 pick. This draft has 8 elite players, and 5 special players, that have separated from the rest. Gormley should be the cost to move out of the top 8 back to the 9th overall.
8 elite players? I'm under the impression there are about 4 "elite players" being Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov (before the injury). Who are the other 4 elite prospects?

Old
04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
8 elite players? I'm under the impression there are about 4 "elite players" being Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov (before the injury). Who are the other 4 elite prospects?
Nichushkin or however you spell his name should be listed with them, however he comes with a caveat of being Russian and having a contract with the KHL for the next 2 years already. Your list is accurate however I would go so far as saying Jones Mackinnon and Drouin are in a class of their own as the big 3. Outside of the 4 you mentioned + Nich there is Monahan, Shinkaruk, Lindholm and Nurse to make it 9. I'm not sure who he has in his Elite 8.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Maybe I am using the elite term a little too loosely. Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon, and Barkov, who some think is a small tick below the other 3, are the first level of prospects that are considered superstar. Nichuskin would be there as well if he wasn't Russian and signed in the KHL. I think it's ISS that has him rated #2 overall so some think he is special too. After those guys, you have Monahan, Lindholm, and Nurse who project to be great players but not guaranteed (as much as you can guarantee any draft pick) super star level as the other 5. So I said elite 8.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
I hang up the phone after saying a polite no, then I get a good chuckle out of it.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Hmm i think id do that, although we are taking a lot of risk in the deal, so id ask for some more picks.

But yeah id do that in aheart beat.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
There's too much risk involved on the Flyers end. I'd do something simpler. 5th + 3rd rounder for 9th + Rundblad + 2nd rounder, or something like that.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Eh, I dunno. Seems that the Flyers are giving up the best assets?

Couturier
5th
Gormley
9th
Read
Rundblad
Boedker

I don't love that deal.

I think you take the BPA at 5. If we were 8 and PHX was 12, maybe you think about moving back for an additional asset, but giving up Couturier + one of the Big 4 / Nurse for that package is a lot of risk without a ton of upside.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Has anyone ever been to the website "draftsite.com" before? It has a full seven round mock draft, but it appears to be just completely random picks (at least in the case of the Flyers). I know the Flyers do a BPA scenario most of the time, but I can imagine no situation in which the Flyers decide to draft a center with three out of the first four picks and only one defenseman (in the seventh round). Maybe someone else can look into this because maybe the guys they are picking are good picks, but I just don't see it:

Round 1: Sean Monahan (C) (Nurse, Risto, Zadorov, Pulock, Morrisey still on the board)
Round 2: Nick Sorensen (RW)
Round 4: Gregory Chase (C)
Round 5: Connor Rankin (C)
Round 6: Jorgen Karterud (LW)
Round 7: Colby Williams (D)

I'm not knocking any of these players, but come on. If the Flyers left the draft with three centers, two wingers, and 7th round defenseman, that may be one of the most disappointing drafts I ever saw from the Flyers.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

Old
04-05-2013, 10:23 AM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Start crossing names off your wish list.
And more names being crossed off my wish list!!

Old
04-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Has anyone ever been to the website "draftsite.com" before? It has a full seven round mock draft, but it appears to be just completely random picks (at least in the case of the Flyers). I know the Flyers do a BPA scenario most of the time, but I can imagine no situation in which the Flyers decide to draft a center with three out of the first four picks and only one defenseman (in the seventh round). Maybe someone else can look into this because maybe the guys they are picking are good picks, but I just don't see it:

Round 1: Sean Monahan (C) (Nurse, Risto, Zadorov, Pulock, Morrisey still on the board)
Round 2: Nick Sorensen (RW)
Round 4: Gregory Chase (C)
Round 5: Connor Rankin (C)
Round 6: Jorgen Karterud (LW)
Round 7: Colby Williams (D)

I'm not knocking any of these players, but come on. If the Flyers left the draft with three centers, two wingers, and 7th round defenseman, that may be one of the most disappointing drafts I ever saw from the Flyers.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/
I know that website. I think they don't take into consideration team needs and simply ranked the players. So Sean Monahan is the 6th best player in the draft and Nick Sorensen is the 36th. I have noticed the teams will go up and down based on their record but the players stay in the same order.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
This is a very thought-provoking scenario. I'm really torn over this, and think after a sleepless night, I'd do it. Both Runblad and Gormley makes me think at least one becomes a very good top 4 within 1-2 years, and 4 picks later still brings in a very strong prospect. But I am still chewing my nails over giving up Couturier and the 5th overall, which probably means not getting Nurse.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I hang up the phone after saying a polite no, then I get a good chuckle out of it.
I second this response. Take out one of the Flyers peices and you may be on to something. Couturier+1, Read+1, or MAYBE Read+Couturier for what they offered. But not all three. Gormley I am not sold on as something that is really that earth shattering, same with Rundblad. They are both good prospects, but I don't think either are even projected to be a #1 guy. Mikkel Boedker really hasn't impressed that muich either, though I think he has plenty of time to grow, especially in a more offensive system. That being said, I don't really see the Coyotes going for this deal and I would not be willing to give up what you have proposed. Non-starter for both sides if you ask me.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I stay away from any deal centering around Couturier for Gormley.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

If Kimmo Timonen is out for any duration of time(I know homer said he was a game time decision) the Flyers can probably start looking at those top 5 prospects again. We have 11 games left, and even though we have won 4 in a row, we still sit with the 8th overall. Hopefully he can come back in soon and play, because without him that defense is nasty

Also I agree with GFH. Why do we constantly try to get a player who has 0 NHL time for a 2 year top ceiling guy(of course because he is a prospect!!). Gormley also had some injury issues. They would have to add a lot for me to bit on any deal there.

Closed Thread