HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs: Sens or Leafs

View Poll Results: Leafs or Sens
Leafs 94 54.65%
Sens 42 24.42%
Same difference 36 20.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
  #101
ottawa
go habs go
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,988
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I dunno, the leafs are honestly a good team. They've insulated Reimer and have some serious offensive punch and a wily coach.

Just in advance of the leaf who quotes Reimer's save% vs Price's -- you're not fooling anyone with Mr. "I have NO idea where the puck is." We know who you'd rather have, even though he gets scrutinized to death by our own fanbase.

I would LOVE to see another battle of Ontario, but obviously that can't happen standings wise unless something miraculous happens.

I would like facing the Sens as well, but it would be really really tough. Spezza coming back as well as Anderson (Cowen too, Michalek likely...crap) -- that's a team that could go very deep in the playoffs unless a tire comes loose/they get very unlucky. We would need all the bounces in that series. Also, Alfie is kinda good against us.
If we face the Leafs I am fairly confident that all habs fans would be glad we're the team that has Price in our crease no matter what his or Rimer's save% is. I'm just worried about how our games have been against the Leafs not only this season but the last couple seasons too, they always give us a hard time.

And whether its us who faces the sens or Boston, I just hope the sens get kicked out in round 1 before Anderson, Michalek and Spezza come back cause that crippled team is already playing hard to beat as it is, when they should be easy wins for a handful of teams.


Edit: Scratch that, if the sens and bruins go head to head I hope the sens sweep them

__________________
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
  #102
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 500
We can't go that far into the playoffs even if we won against either team in the first round...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
  #103
IceHockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
Leafs - Habs. Would be most epic, emotion driven playoff series. The rivalry is already pretty intense so imagine how much more intense the series would be.
I am sick and tired of hearing that Leafs-Habs is a great rivalry. It's not. It's been dead since 1967. Stop pretending otherwise. I'm a Habs fan and after 30 years of watching this team, I could only recall two memorable Leafs-Habs games: one a few seasons ago when the game meant whether the Habs qualify for the playoffs or not (the Habs lost that one) and the other was in 1993 when Pat Burns first came back to Montreal but as a Leafs coach (the Habs lost that one too). That's it.

It will take more than a playoff meeting between the Leafs and Habs for the rivalry to come back. It would take a couple of playoff meetings plus the Leafs and Habs have to be competitive over a couple of years too. Otherwise it will never approach Habs-Bruins, Habs-Nordiques, Leafs-Senators or Leafs-Red Wings.

The Canadian media and some fans need to stop pretending that Leafs-Habs is a rivalry.

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:23 AM
  #104
Lansdown
Registered User
 
Lansdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHockeyfan View Post
I am sick and tired of hearing that Leafs-Habs is a great rivalry. It's not. It's been dead since 1967. Stop pretending otherwise. I'm a Habs fan and after 30 years of watching this team, I could only recall two memorable Leafs-Habs games: one a few seasons ago when the game meant whether the Habs qualify for the playoffs or not (the Habs lost that one) and the other was in 1993 when Pat Burns first came back to Montreal but as a Leafs coach (the Habs lost that one too). That's it.

It will take more than a playoff meeting between the Leafs and Habs for the rivalry to come back. It would take a couple of playoff meetings plus the Leafs and Habs have to be competitive over a couple of years too. Otherwise it will never approach Habs-Bruins, Habs-Nordiques, Leafs-Senators or Leafs-Red Wings.

The Canadian media and some fans need to stop pretending that Leafs-Habs is a rivalry.
Do you live in Ontario or Quebec? The hockey rivalry isn't there, but the disdain between the two cities still is. That's infectious, and the players on the ice will play that way.

Lansdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:47 AM
  #105
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,125
vCash: 500
at this point, either scare the **** out of me. we don't seem to do too well against the northeast - except for the bruins. weird

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:16 AM
  #106
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlpha View Post
A Leafs-Canadiens series would be insane literally. I'd bet maybe, maximum 10 millions of Canadians watching that series on CBC.

Could be easily the most watched series on HNIC of all time.

I begrudingly respect the Leafs for their very good turnaround and performance this year, but honestly, Ottawa is the scarier team. They're disclipined, patient, smart, deceptively good and are tenacious-the kind of team who can make serious damage to you if you make the slightest mistake.

Ottawa is a upset team. Enough said.

And they have better guys in net. Reimer/Scrivens have proved to be at least nice NHL-calibre goalies compared to what Toronto had before(Toskala, Gustavsson, Tellqvist, Aubin, Belfour Raycroft etc) but I don't view them as goalies who can steal a series on their own imo.

That being said, I want to win the cup and having a great, intense, physical and emotional first-round series ain't in the best interests of the Habs.

I want to see a nice little matchup in the first round, in which the Habs advance in 4 or 5 games without much noise, fuss or critical injuries.

Bring me the Rags. Let the Bruins struggle with one of Leafs/Sens and be done with them.
I would not be wishing for the Rags.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:22 AM
  #107
SwissLeaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Coming in peace...

I really hope for a Habs-Leafs series... It would be just great!

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  #108
TennisMenace
Registered User
 
TennisMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,664
vCash: 500
I used to want the Rangers, but now they aren't soft anymore, maybe not so much.

Florida Panthers!

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:37 AM
  #109
IceHockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansdown View Post
Do you live in Ontario or Quebec? The hockey rivalry isn't there, but the disdain between the two cities still is. That's infectious, and the players on the ice will play that way.
I have lived in Montreal since I was born. There is no animosity between the two cities as far as I can tell. Most Quebecers got over losing the title of "Canada's metropolis" to Toronto a long time ago, especially francophone Quebecers because it was a small price to pay to make Montreal more French-speaking. There is no dynamic between the two cities like there is between Montreal-Quebec or Boston-New York. The only time Toronto gets any negative press (especially in francophone circles) is in the financial section because that is where Bay Street is located.

There might be a Toronto-Montreal rivalry in baseball (when the Expos were playing) or soccer because Toronto is the only other Canadian team in those sports but not in the NHL in which there are 5 teams that represent English Canada. Of those 5 teams, Ottawa seem to get more animosity than Toronto in Quebec.

The Habs played the Leafs twice in the playoffs in the seventies, after 1967, and nobody in Quebec cared because the Leafs were not competitive in that time. Ken Dryden in his book, The Game, talked about how the rivalry is a sham and that it was only driven by the nostalgic media.

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
  #110
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHockeyfan View Post
I have lived in Montreal since I was born. There is no animosity between the two cities as far as I can tell. Most Quebecers got over losing the title of "Canada's metropolis" to Toronto a long time ago, especially francophone Quebecers because it was a small price to pay to make Montreal more French-speaking. There is no dynamic between the two cities like there is between Montreal-Quebec or Boston-New York. The only time Toronto gets any negative press (especially in francophone circles) is in the financial section because that is where Bay Street is located.

There might be a Toronto-Montreal rivalry in baseball (when the Expos were playing) or soccer because Toronto is the only other Canadian team in those sports but not in the NHL in which there are 5 teams that represent English Canada. Of those 5 teams, Ottawa seem to get more animosity than Toronto in Quebec.

The Habs played the Leafs twice in the playoffs in the seventies, after 1967, and nobody in Quebec cared because the Leafs were not competitive in that time. Ken Dryden in his book, The Game, talked about how the rivalry is a sham and that it was only driven by the nostalgic media.
Every anglophones I know who live in Montreal have a profound sense of rejection towards T.O, francophones don't usually have an opinion on the city because very few of them actually have a reason to go there but a lot of them just don't like it.

I've been there many times and my aunt lives there, I just feel no warmth or excitement about the city, everything seems to be business oriented and there is very little cultural identity. The only part of town I like is around queen street in the east end near the shore, kinda reminds me of the plateau but without the nightlife and the fun.

There was never a rivalry with the blue jays because the jays played in the american league, while the expos were in the national league. Of course the Boston-Mtl rivalry is stronger than Toronto's but not by much, some years it's actually on par even without us playing them in PO, so if we do this year things will be pretty crazy all over eastern Canada. Ottawa does not receive a lot of animosity in Québec, I know that people in Gatineau and Ottawa used to be pretty isolated from one another but things have changed now and there are a lot of french-canadian sens fans in Gatineau.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  #111
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Every anglophones I know who live in Montreal have a profound sense of rejection towards T.O, francophones don't usually have an opinion on the city because very few of them actually have a reason to go there but a lot of them just don't like it.

I've been there many times and my aunt lives there, I just feel no warmth or excitement about the city, everything seems to be business oriented and there is very little cultural identity. The only part of town I like is around queen street in the east end near the shore, kinda reminds me of the plateau but without the nightlife and the fun.

There was never a rivalry with the blue jays because the jays played in the american league, while the expos were in the national league. Of course the Boston-Mtl rivalry is stronger than Toronto's but not by much, some years it's actually on par even without us playing them in PO, so if we do this year things will be pretty crazy all over eastern Canada. Ottawa does not receive a lot of animosity in Québec, I know that people in Gatineau and Ottawa used to be pretty isolated from one another but things have changed now and there are a lot of french-canadian sens fans in Gatineau.
I am a Habs fan but I work in Toronto.

From a hockey point of view, I do not like any other city/team in the NHL. From a personal view though, I think all the Canadian cities are nice in their own way. No bias one way or another.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  #112
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
I don't think we match up well with either, but I'd rather play the Leafs if I had the choice. It seems teams have had luck shutting down JVR and Kessell leaving the Leafs with the grinders... that could be the key.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  #113
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score
 
Madam Kadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland native
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I don't think we match up well with either, but I'd rather play the Leafs if I had the choice. It seems teams have had luck shutting down JVR and Kessell leaving the Leafs with the grinders... that could be the key.
You forgot Lupul, Kadri, and Grabovski.

Madam Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:27 AM
  #114
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,222
vCash: 256
Sens and invade the Scotia Bank place

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:53 AM
  #115
RealityBytes
Trash Remover
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Every anglophones I know who live in Montreal have a profound sense of rejection towards T.O, francophones don't usually have an opinion on the city because very few of them actually have a reason to go there but a lot of them just don't like it.

I've been there many times and my aunt lives there, I just feel no warmth or excitement about the city, everything seems to be business oriented and there is very little cultural identity. The only part of town I like is around queen street in the east end near the shore, kinda reminds me of the plateau but without the nightlife and the fun.

There was never a rivalry with the blue jays because the jays played in the american league, while the expos were in the national league. Of course the Boston-Mtl rivalry is stronger than Toronto's but not by much, some years it's actually on par even without us playing them in PO, so if we do this year things will be pretty crazy all over eastern Canada. Ottawa does not receive a lot of animosity in Québec, I know that people in Gatineau and Ottawa used to be pretty isolated from one another but things have changed now and there are a lot of french-canadian sens fans in Gatineau.
I live Montreal, and I hear a lot of Toronto bashing by Montrealers, anglo and francophone alike and primarily from Montrealers who were born in Quebec. Even within this thread there are Habs fans stating it would be the absolute worst case scenario to live down if the Habs lost to the Leafs. Why is it worse for the Habs to lose to the Leafs rather than any other team?

I am a Montreal transplant, and unlike many Montrealers who were born here, I do not have this animosity complex against Toronto. As a matter of fact, my favourite baseball team is the Blue Jays and my favourite basketball team is the Raptors, and my favourite MLS team before the Impact was Toronto FC. (Reason: there are no Montreal teams to pull for.)

When I hear Toronto bashing from a Montrealer I ask "Why?" to the person doing it and what I generally hear is a grumbling bashing of Toronto in general. When I say "you do know that the last major sporting event in Canada was won by Toronto (World Series in late '93)" all I get back is that doesn't count but hockey does count. As well, I know people who say they pull for Canadian teams but who won't pull for the Blue Jays or Raptors or Buffalo Bills (Toronto's half NFL team) merely because they are Toronto's team. All seems strange to me.

To me the Toronto bashing is just petty jealousy by some Montrealers pumping up their feathers like a peacock trying to show Toronto fans that they are just as good as Toronto. Unfortunately, and in reality, Montreal has lost that race and falls behind Toronto in just about every facet there is including financially, economically, and other sports ... all except hockey. Hockey is the last vestige of what Montreal has that Montrealers can crow about. To lose that would be the ultimate capitulation of Montreal to Toronto, and the ultimate humility.

So, is there a rivalry? No, not between the Habs and Leafs, but there is a pseudo rivalry purported by Montreal fans against Toronto. One I don't see reciprocated by Toronto fans just bashing Montreal for no reason because I think they know they already won the "rivalry battle" of the cities. What you would get though, if the Leafs won a series over the Habs, is years of heavy hazing and laughing jeers as payback for the previous decades of laughing at the Leafs.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:55 AM
  #116
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Both sacred me. Those two teams exposed well our team weaknesses.

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
  #117
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Honestly some of you are too invested into this forum. Without a doubt the best series would be Montreal V Toronto. Yes one of us will have to lose, and yes it will hurt. Just block out the white noise from this dumb forum and watch some good hockey.

I think its safe to say that both of our fan bases (whether we'd admit it or not) have developed respect for each other. Its not like we are bickering at each other from 3rd and 5th last in the league. Both of my parents were born and raised in Beaconsfield Montreal, however i have lived all 23 of my years over here in Toronto. I deal with the rivalry first hand, and i love it.

Lastly: for those of you who want to separate, i demand you change the name of your hockey team Regards

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:38 PM
  #118
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

I think its safe to say that both of our fan bases (whether we'd admit it or not) have developed respect for each other.
Speak for yourself. I hate the Leafs, I detest them. If they dropped from the league tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eyelash. The entire nation is force fed their god awful propaganda through the CBC every weekend for some disgusting reason, whether they are dead last or near dead last.

I have zero respect for that franchise, I never will.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
  #119
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Speak for yourself. I hate the Leafs, I detest them. If they dropped from the league tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eyelash. The entire nation is force fed their god awful propaganda through the CBC every weekend for some disgusting reason, whether they are dead last or near dead last.

I have zero respect for that franchise, I never will.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
  #120
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen
 
HabsProspectsExpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Just not NY please. The rest i don't care.

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
  #121
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,561
vCash: 500
So, everyone's afraid of the Rangers cause they won ONE game with their new guys ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:32 PM
  #122
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
Just not NY please. The rest i don't care.
NY is the team I WANT TO FACE.
I believe last nights game was just a one night thing.

Between the two Sens/Leafs, I'd say Sens.
I think Leafs/Habs isn't a good match up for us in a playoff series.

Gary320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
  #123
RealityBytes
Trash Remover
 
RealityBytes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: British Antarctic Territory
Posts: 744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Speak for yourself. I hate the Leafs, I detest them. If they dropped from the league tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eyelash. The entire nation is force fed their god awful propaganda through the CBC every weekend for some disgusting reason, whether they are dead last or near dead last.

I have zero respect for that franchise, I never will.
Did you ever stop to think that one reason why there is so much concentration on the Leafs on CBC could be because one third of Canada's population lives within 200 mile of the Air Canada Center? ... and with most of the hockey fans in that area being Leafs fans. To top it off, they are also owned by MLSE which is owned by the two largest communications companies in Canada.

They are the biggest fan base by far, owned by the biggest TV distributors, of course they will be catered to, just like the LA Lakers in basketball and Yankees in baseball. Money and numbers talk, no use in getting mad over it. You should be grateful there is a salary cap otherwise MLSE would just spend their way to the cup.

It's all business and they cater to the fans. Have you ever watched a game on RDS, it's so biased towards the Habs it's far worse than what the CBC does with Toronto. Same with the newspapers in Montreal. It's all propaganda as you say but it is for pleasing the target fan base, that's what it is all about.

So if you are going to hate CBC and the Leafs, you should also hate the Habs and RDS and the local newspapers for the same reason if you are to be completely unbiased. However, it might be better to realize what it is all about and just take it with a grain of salt, pull for your own team, and drop the irrational hatred.


Last edited by RealityBytes: 04-04-2013 at 06:16 PM.
RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
  #124
IceHockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I've been there many times and my aunt lives there, I just feel no warmth or excitement about the city, everything seems to be business oriented and there is very little cultural identity. The only part of town I like is around queen street in the east end near the shore, kinda reminds me of the plateau but without the nightlife and the fun.
I like Toronto. It is less sexy than Montreal but it offers better public services, institutions and facilities, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Ottawa does not receive a lot of animosity in Québec, I know that people in Gatineau and Ottawa used to be pretty isolated from one another but things have changed now and there are a lot of french-canadian sens fans in Gatineau.
Yes. That's why I sense some animosity between Ottawa and Montreal. The Senators have replaced the Nordiques in attracting French-Canadian hockey fans away from the Canadiens. The francophone press has adopted the Ottawa Senators as the second team to cover. Habs-Senators won't match the fun and animosity of Leafs-Senators but they are more fun to watch than Habs-Leafs.

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:09 PM
  #125
IceHockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post

So if you are going to hate CBC and the Leafs, you should also hate the Habs and RDS and the local newspapers for the same reason if you are to be completely unbiased. However, it might be better to realize what it is all about and just take it with a grain of salt, pull for your own team, and drop the irrational hatred.
You can't compare CBC and RDS. RDS is a private broadcaster so they could do whatever they want. CBC is a public broadcaster whose mandate is to promote Canada so they should be giving all Canadian teams an equal exposure.

Furthermore, the Canadiens are the only team that can represent French Canada so RDS, which is a francophone broadcaster, focuses on them, although it also covers the Senators when possible. English Canada, OTOH, has the Canadiens and 5 other teams to represent them, so CBC has no excuse not giving all 6 teams equal exposure.

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.