Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2013, 11:20 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
My god Dougie Hamilton 17 spots in front of Brodin is just and Schultz 14 spots ahead? Just horrible.
reinhart and murray in front of brodin too, haha. They havent even touched the NHL

Old
04-03-2013, 11:30 AM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I heard he was focusing on rounding off his game instead of just being all flashy.
That would be nice. I like that better then what i said

either way im happy with picking him and where hes at right now

Old
04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

What happened to Zack Phillips ?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
What happened to Zack Phillips ?

Zack will have a decent career in the AHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
IAGTTAYM

vCash: 333
Luleå with Gunnarsson and Gustafsson up 3-1 in games against Färjestad in the semi-finals of the SEL.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Fin9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Zack will have a decent career in the AHL.
no chance for Zack in the NHL?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:58 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

I don't know why everyone's given up on Zack Phillips already.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When you're terrible on defense and mediocre on offense in the minors, it's a long, long road to the NHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post
no chance for Zack in the NHL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Some people are obviously overreacting, but it is a bit alarming how much he has(or hasn't, really) been able to adjust to the AHL so far.

I think he'll get at least another year or two after his current contract to see what happens, but I am not ready to give up yet.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
When you're lacking in the physical tools needed to be able to compete in the AHL, why not give up on expecting anything in the NHL?

Old
04-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Jbcraig1883

Re: Phillips

The off-season and how he comes into camp next year will tell me a lot about him. If he goes and works on his skating and comes into camp with a mature attitude, listens to the coaches, and plays hard, I think he can still be an offensive guy. But, if his skating does not improve and he continues to try to toe drag guys, then I will begin questioning his potential. He was playing much better on the wing with Larsson.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Because a lot of fans refuse to recognize that drafting an 18-year old kid into the NHL is a completely different than drafting a 21 or 22-year man for the NFL or NBA.

The first 2 seasons in the AHL are comparable to a college football player's junior and senior seasons. Most people don't even pay attention to football players until that period.

Then they get drafted, and there is still an expectation that unless they are a complete stud, the 1st NFL season is a learning experience. It isn't until the 2nd NFL season that the Bust-Birds come out. That's when the player is 24-years old people.

Just think about that for a second. If fans viewed the NHL like they view the NFL or NBA, they wouldn't talk trash about a player until after his THIRD season of the AHL.

And yet we have people calling players busts after 3/4 of their first AHL season.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
lacrosseguy

Zack Phillips is being handled exactly the way a young prospect should be to have a long NHL career.
He has played the majority of his games with either granthum, kassian, caron etc and just recently getting to play with more skilled guys. Kinda ironic really Minny rushes Sheppard and that move gets **** on by guys on the chirp board because sheppard doesnt work out as they has hoped, so they are taking their time with the youngest guy on their AHL affiliate and because his numbers are great, then he gets **** on. They are trying to not make the same mistake with him. He is very young with a huge upside.
For christ sakes their has gotta be somebody besides him, Bulmer and Granlund and Cuma to **** on in Houston.
Got a random thought, why not just praise the guys that in your opinion are playing well--is there some random satisfaction gained by constantly ripping a young pro athlete who is working his guts out to have a career in the game he no doubt loves...just doesnt make sense to me.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
Zack Phillips is being handled exactly the way a young prospect should be to have a long NHL career.
He has played the majority of his games with either granthum, kassian, caron etc and just recently getting to play with more skilled guys. Kinda ironic really Minny rushes Sheppard and that move gets **** on by guys on the chirp board because sheppard doesnt work out as they has hoped, so they are taking their time with the youngest guy on their AHL affiliate and because his numbers are great, then he gets **** on. They are trying to not make the same mistake with him. He is very young with a huge upside.
For christ sakes their has gotta be somebody besides him, Bulmer and Granlund and Cuma to **** on in Houston.
Got a random thought, why not just praise the guys that in your opinion are playing well--is there some random satisfaction gained by constantly ripping a young pro athlete who is working his guts out to have a career in the game he no doubt loves...just doesnt make sense to me.
I basically agree with this....My opinion is, what's the rush? Let the Aeros staff work with Zach and get back to me a few years from now and then we'll see.

Case in point...Our newest addition, Jason Pominville...drafted in the 2nd round back in 2001, didn't see a regular shift with the Sabres until 2005 and didn't play a full season for them until '06-'07 season...that's FIVE years after being drafted. It's been less than two years since Phillips was selected.

Last edited by MuckOG: 04-04-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Sportserie

I am totally new to following the steps our players take before actually playing for the Minnesota Wild... can someone explain what contract we have with Johan Gustafsson and when he would actually come here to play? Totally confused. Is he considered our goalie of the future?

Old
04-04-2013, 08:27 PM
DW

I've seen reports that he will be coming over for the start of next season and play in Houston.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:32 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
I am totally new to following the steps our players take before actually playing for the Minnesota Wild... can someone explain what contract we have with Johan Gustafsson and when he would actually come here to play? Totally confused. Is he considered our goalie of the future?
He's just in the pipeline as any of them are. I'd say at this point, Kuemper is probably the 'future' as it stands now. But, 1-2 years ago Hackett was the guy that held that label. It can change by the year. Last year we had a logjam for goalie prospects. We had Khudobin (not last year per se), Kuemper, Hackett and Gustafsson. Now we're down to Kuemper and Gustafsson. So the depth got pretty weak in one year. But, who knows Fletch could very well pick up a blue chipper in the draft or via some off season trade. Until they're up here and playing well regularly you never really know. They're assets until they're here playing.

Last edited by MK9: 04-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 08:42 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
Players in Europe do not have to sign a contract with us immediately. He is the Wild's property I think through next year's draft, and if we do not sign him to a contract before that then he would re-enter the draft for another team to get him.

He should hopefully sign a contract this offseason and come over to play in Houston next season. I'd expect him to maybe get a call-up or two, but we likely won't be seeing him full-time with the Wild for 2-3 years, maybe?

EDIT: Nevermind, he already has signed a contract. The above stands for European players though. Contracts do not count or lose a year until the player plays in either the AHL or NHL. So even though he signed his contract before this season, this year does not count as one of his three signed years. Not until he comes over.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
After watching Philips a few times in the last month. Yea. He'll have a solid AHL career. His speed is just too much of a liability in the NHL. He is seeping with talent. But if he didn't skate with quickcrete he'd be a 50 point NHLer.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
nickschultzfan

With Hackett gone and Harding health issues, Gustafsson will be in the US next year. He will back up Backstrom or else he'll be the #1 goalie in Houston.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:35 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Anyone have hopes for Michalek LOL

Old
04-04-2013, 09:45 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Very early to be writing off Philips... Skating can be improved... He does have the skill.

I think we'll draft a D and goalie prospect this year.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Russo:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/201553901.html

Quote:
Erik Haula could soon be the fourth University of Minnesota hockey player to leave the program since season’s end.

Haula, the 2009 seventh-round pick who led the Gophers in scoring the past two seasons, is closing in on a contract with the Wild, sources say.
As expected

Old
04-05-2013, 02:38 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Very early to be writing off Philips... Skating can be improved... He does have the skill.

I think we'll draft a D and goalie prospect this year.
I was never big on Phillips and he has done nothing to change that opinion.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Haula was considered a sure-fire top-60 pick leading up to the 2009 draft. I'm not sure why he dropped to the 7th round, but I'll take it.

The kid's a player.