HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Can Malkin carry us again?

Old
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
this is crap. We won a cup with a much slower winger than Iginla playing with Sid. And he was much less talented too.
I'm not sold on Guerin being slower than Iginla. I also think Guerin's style of play complimented Crosby more.

Let's not forget that despite scoring the gold medal winning goal at the Olympics, Crosby was very heavily criticized for his lack of production despite playing with Nash & Iginla. If not for the gold medal goal, he wouldn't have even finished in the top 10 in scoring.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Why doesn't Danny B try some new damn lines for once?
This is the bigger issue, not Malkin's play.

Shero's given Bylsma all he needs. Now it's time to see if Bylsma can actually find the right combinations with the assembled pieces.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
I'm not sold on Guerin being slower than Iginla. I also think Guerin's style of play complimented Crosby more.

Let's not forget that despite scoring the gold medal winning goal at the Olympics, Crosby was very heavily criticized for his lack of production despite playing with Nash & Iginla. If not for the gold medal goal, he wouldn't have even finished in the top 10 in scoring.
He didn't play with Iginla as much as everyone thinks he did. But every time they did play together, it was productive. There is not an argument out there that would convince me that Sid-Iggy won't be amazing, especially one including speed. Guerin was definitely slower than Iggy at the time he played with Sid.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
No. Iginla is faster than Guerin and he's better than Guerin in pretty much every possible way except for looking like a creepy old man.

Quote:
And Dupuis was completely invisible the whole tournament. I never mentioned the Olympics because I really don't care about the olympics. I want Iginla with Crosby because Iginla and Neal should be split up because they play the same role and the same position.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Pancakes

He's not the same Geno as last year yet but last year was a ridiculously high level of play that was going to be tough to match.

That being said, Geno is still above a PPG and just coming back from an injury. He's clearly still getting to his game. He'll be just fine.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Mingo View Post
I hope, once and for all, the argument about who the best player is between Sid and Geno finally dies along with those blue jerseys.
The difference between the two is consistency. I don't think that Crosby is better when both are at the top of their game. With Malkin there are other factors, like being number 1 or number 2. If he were anywhere near his level of play from last year, he'd be second in the league in scoring.

Anyway, when he got concussed he was just 4 points behind Crosby.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The team wasn't as banged up on defense when Malkin was out. It's not really an apples to apples comparison.

Sid has been the better player this year but I think that's because he was more well rested coming into the season. Malkin went to the KHL, got comfortable with that, then had to come back to the NHL, had to readjust to a different league and style and try to do that while fighting numerous injuries. He's never really gotten on track so far but I think he will in time.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
metalan2

Malkin, can and will carry the team.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
MtlPenFan

Meh, I think there's a lot of innate excuses for Geno every time he goes through one of his funks.

He has to play with this guy and that guy, but only if this guy and that guy play this position and that position. But it has to be when the moon is full, his mom is in town, and his girlfriend isn't on her period.

He's getting paid Sid money. He's going to want to get more than Sid's getting. At some point, when you're given "best player in the world" status, you're supposed to transcend all of that ****.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Stars

Give Kunitz a chance to win some hardware.
Put him with Geno and Neal until Crosby is back.

Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Meh, I think there's a lot of innate excuses for Geno every time he goes through one of his funks.

He has to play with this guy and that guy, but only if this guy and that guy play this position and that position. But it has to be when the moon is full, his mom is in town, and his girlfriend isn't on her period.

He's getting paid Sid money. He's going to want to get more than Sid's getting. At some point, when you're given "best player in the world" status, you're supposed to transcend all of that ****.
paying him more money than crosby won't change the fact that he has always played better with a good puck retriever on his line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
DoktorZaius

Sid has always been better, because you know what you're getting with Sid. He's relentless every shift, and he does so many things so well that his linemates will get multiple (sometimes countless) great opportunities because of his play.

Geno can totally dominate a shift, but he doesn't do so consistently. If he's playing on tilt, for example, he's more likely to take stupid penalty after stupid penalty than anything else.

I love Geno, and think he's probably the 2nd best player in the game. But his game has always been more temperamental than Sid's. Sid just goes out there and does work every second of every shift.

DoktorZaius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
Sid has always been better, because you know what you're getting with Sid. He's relentless every shift, and he does so many things so well that his linemates will get multiple (sometimes countless) great opportunities because of his play.

Geno can totally dominate a shift, but he doesn't do so consistently. If he's playing on tilt, for example, he's more likely to take stupid penalty after stupid penalty than anything else.

I love Geno, and think he's probably the 2nd best player in the game. But his game has always been more temperamental than Sid's. Sid just goes out there and does work every second of every shift.

This is the same reason pests more often target Malkin & Neal than Crosby. It's easier to get in their head.

It's also the reason why many coaches - such as Babcock in the 2008 and 2009 SCFs - focus their shutdown guys on Crosby. You know Crosby's going to be a threat out there every single night but that's not always the case with Malkin, so you gameplan to stop Crosby and sort of "roll the dice" with Malkin.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:

This is the same reason pests more often target Malkin & Neal than Crosby. It's easier to get in their head.

It's also the reason why many coaches - such as Babcock in the 2008 and 2009 SCFs - focus their shutdown guys on Crosby. You know Crosby's going to be a threat out there every single night but that's not always the case with Malkin, so you gameplan to stop Crosby and sort of "roll the dice" with Malkin.
Exactly. I look at the '09 playoffs, and while Feds and Talbot played over their heads, it was Malkin who was next to magical and made those guys what they were. I've watched that run so often it's burned into my memory.

Just like Sid's lines go as he goes, it's the same with Geno.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
vodeni

Geno will be fine, he also needs a few games under his belt, Sid looked like s... first half a dozen games until he got in a groove

If Geno's play is our biggest concern, I would start carving those names on LSC trophy right now.

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
Geno will be fine, he also needs a few games under his belt, Sid looked like s... first half a dozen games until he got in a groove

If Geno's play is our biggest concern, I would start carving those names on LSC trophy right now.
But Sid looked bad because he was rusty, he hadn't played much hockey in the past two years. Malkin, on the other hand, spent the lockout playing in Russia. There was no rust for him to shake off.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:11 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Iggy vs Jagr created by bruins fan, he posted link on bruins board and is making it look like everyone say jagr.. so ill post it here, go vote iggy! (It's in the poll thread)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=63307829

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
But Sid looked bad because he was rusty, he hadn't played much hockey in the past two years. Malkin, on the other hand, spent the lockout playing in Russia. There was no rust for him to shake off.
I don't know what you do for a living. Maybe you're in a position where you don't have to work closely with anyone else, or in a team environment. Or maybe you do. Imagine how much harder your job would be if every few days one of the people you work closely with is replaced with someone else.

DegenX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
Penns are just having streak hangover. It will be gone in next game or game after that. Geno will be just fine, like before if not better.
This is right on the border of optimistic and realistic.

Ray Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Iggy vs Jagr created by bruins fan, he posted link on bruins board and is making it look like everyone say jagr.. so ill post it here, go vote iggy! (It's in the poll thread)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=63307829
Jesus, I thought the Caps had the most insecure fan base in the league. Apparently I was wrong. How stunning it must be to find out that Boston isn't the center of the sports universe and every pro athlete isn't falling over themselves just for the honor of playing there.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
chethejet

Malkin still has the skill set to be the impact player he was last year. Will he shine with Neal and hopefully Kunitz. I hope so. Can he carry a team, yes. Will he? My guess is no

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:51 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post
Malkin still has the skill set to be the impact player he was last year. Will he shine with Neal and hopefully Kunitz. I hope so. Can he carry a team, yes. Will he? My guess is no
Pretty much this.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:42 AM
TheGoldenJet

Of course Malkin can carry the Pens. Not sure if he's 100% recovered from the shoulder strain as he does look a little stiff up top, but he will get there very soon. Iginla on the left seems a little awkward for that whole line atm, Neal switching would have been much easier I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I think Malkin was able to carry us last year because we had Staal who was also a damn solid pivot while Crosby was out. Having that kind of support was huge because teams still had to respect Staal's line and not just zero in on Malkin's like they can now. Also, they're forcing Iginla to play LW on that line and it looks bad. While Sid is out, this is that time to put Kunitz back up there and let them do their damage until Crosby is back. I would like to see this tried at least for a few shifts...I know it won't, but yeah...

Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Jokinen, Iginla
Morrow, Sutter, Cooke
Agreed 100% with your post.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:48 AM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
I would be open to putting Morrow on that line for a few more games. I liked what I saw out of that line the one day they played. Then, put Iginla with Sid and Kunitz. (Or Jokinen) Dupuis Sutter Cooke makes a great third line, and then choose from everyone else for the fourth line. If Morrow doesn't work out there, try Bennett again.
Problem is Morrow can't play 18+ minutes a night. And he's slow.

I'd opt for Kunitz, or see how Jokinen pans out on the LW.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:25 AM
NatureBoy

Chemistry is very important, so when (and if) Sid comes back I would prefer to see him on his line with Dupuis and Kunitz.

Yes, this team has become slower, but I still believe Malkin with Neal and Iginla will be fine. Malkin still does not look right IMO, but injuries are the main reason for that.

I don´t think Morrow at this point is good enough to play in the Top 6, I would even go that far to consider him on line 4 with Adams and Vitale, who should defenitely not be scratched so often.

Can Jokinen play on RW? Then he could be on Sutters RW with Cooke on the left.

NatureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote