HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Marc Bergevin Experience

Old
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
VilleEmardHabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This trade deadline will be a huge assessment for the rookie GM.
And what did Marc Bergevin do this trade deadline? Nothing, Nada, Zippo,Diddly-squat
Zilch...Niente

VilleEmardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:14 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleEmardHabs View Post
And what did Marc Bergevin do this trade deadline? Nothing, Nada, Zippo,Diddly-squat
Zilch...Niente
Excellent. Test succeeded.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I think he's overrated, and this is gauthier's team, outside Jacques Martin which was the smartest move to be made it is all gauthier.

remember the subban fiasco? people were freaking out.

he's alright, gauthier really set this team up; especially with the draft.

I still prefer cole's style of play to ryder's but that's short-term thinking because ryder will not be here next year.
I wouldn't say it's all Gauthier's team. Bergevin brought a new philosophy with the team and that was a big change.

But, I'm wondering... If Gauthier made the same mistake... What would we be saying ?
The P.K. contract being his biggest mistake.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Zilch...Niente
MB made his trades and moves long before the trade deadline. When players were much cheaper. He got Halpern for literally nothing. He traded for Ryder, got a pick and made space on the cap, for dirt cheap. And you know what, those players are still performing very well for us. We had few needs. Why overpay for a player that will give a marginal improvement when we're already playing well in those positions? Why **** up the chemistry?

Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don't deal.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:48 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Zilch...Niente
Which made me respect him deeply.

He had his plan and he stuck with it. He didn't bend under the pressure of rivals making deals, under the pressure from idiotic fans who know nothing about hockey, and under the pressure to do a big splash in his first trade deadline as a GM.

A+ from me.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

big fan so far...

we haven't faced much adversity yet though... and until recently we have been very healthy.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
MB made his trades and moves long before the trade deadline. When players were much cheaper. He got Halpern for literally nothing. He traded for Ryder, got a pick and made space on the cap, for dirt cheap. And you know what, those players are still performing very well for us. We had few needs. Why overpay for a player that will give a marginal improvement when we're already playing well in those positions? Why **** up the chemistry?

Great post.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
FinnHab

So far MB has done great job. No complaints.

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Which made me respect him deeply.

He had his plan and he stuck with it. He didn't bend under the pressure of rivals making deals, under the pressure from idiotic fans who know nothing about hockey, and under the pressure to do a big splash in his first trade deadline as a GM.

A+ from me.
He sure did stick with his plan. But sometimes you can adjust. He didnt do that.

What is the problem with wasting low-value assets (a la drewiske) for more depth up front ? We clearly need another 4th liner, and we also clearly are a good team who can compete, not optimally, for the cup.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:24 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He sure did stick with his plan. But sometimes you can adjust. He didnt do that.

What is the problem with wasting low-value assets (a la drewiske) for more depth up front ? We clearly need another 4th liner, and we also clearly are a good team who can compete, not optimally, for the cup.
Maybe because he felt that when Bourque/White comes back and the play of Dumont when he was up that he didn't need to acquire any further depth? A healthy Habs team looks something like..

Patches-DD-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder
Prust-Halpern-Moen
Armstrong/White/Dumont/Blunden

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Diaz-Bouillon
Drewiske/Weber/Kaberle

I'd say our depth looks pretty good once healthy. In fact, that's pretty cool that we have 2 players that are good 4th liners as healthy scratches then 2 young players who do their jobs well.

We're fine. We just need Plekanec healthy and Bourque to return from injury.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Maybe because he felt that when Bourque/White comes back and the play of Dumont when he was up that he didn't need to acquire any further depth? A healthy Habs team looks something like..

Patches-DD-Gallagher
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder
Prust-Halpern-Moen
Armstrong/White/Dumont/Blunden

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Diaz-Bouillon
Drewiske/Weber/Kaberle

I'd say our depth looks pretty good once healthy. In fact, that's pretty cool that we have 2 players that are good 4th liners as healthy scratches then 2 young players who do their jobs well.

We're fine. We just need Plekanec healthy and Bourque to return from injury.
See...

You base yourself on being healthy to evaluate the depth. Pretty much all the contending team have good depth while healthy. It's when we're injured that we see who's good. Watch Ottawa... If we lost Subban, Plekanec, Bourque, Diaz, Price, Bouillon, Gionta for a medium to long term period + Some short term injuries, do you think we would still be in a playoff spot ?

Patches-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder
Prust-Halpern-Armstrong
Dumont-White-Moen
Blunden

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Weber
Kaberle-Drewiske
Pateryn-Tinordi-Beaulieu

Looks bad no ?

Old
04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
See...

You base yourself on being healthy to evaluate the depth. Pretty much all the contending team have good depth while healthy. It's when we're injured that we see who's good. Watch Ottawa... If we lost Subban, Plekanec, Bourque, Diaz, Price, Bouillon, Gionta for a medium to long term period + Some short term injuries, do you think we would still be in a playoff spot ?

Patches-DD-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder
Prust-Halpern-Armstrong
Dumont-White-Moen
Blunden

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Weber
Kaberle-Drewiske
Pateryn-Tinordi-Beaulieu

Looks bad no ?
Subban, Plekanec, Bourque, Diaz, Price, Bouillon, Gionta

What if Pittsburgh loses Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Iginla and Fleury?

Looks pretty bad, no?

What if a bomb hits the Boston Garden.. and kills the Bruins? Should Chiarelli have traded for an entirely new 23 man roster?

Injuries will happen.. but you can't acquire an infinite amount of depth, it's ludicrous. We have plenty of depth to plug in if injuries happen. Nothing we can get at a deadline (barring astronomically stupid prices.. Pominville???) will replace losing our best players to injuries.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Subban, Plekanec, Bourque, Diaz, Price, Bouillon, Gionta

What if Pittsburgh loses Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Iginla and Fleury?

Looks pretty bad, no?

What if a bomb hits the Boston Garden.. and kills the Bruins? Should Chiarelli have traded for an entirely new 23 man roster?

Injuries will happen.. but you can't acquire an infinite amount of depth, it's ludicrous. We have plenty of depth to plug in if injuries happen. Nothing we can get at a deadline (barring astronomically stupid prices.. Pominville???) will replace losing our best players to injuries.

The Bruins thing wouldnt be that bad of a thing no ? Maybe just injure them. I'm not that sick of a human being.

No but seriously, I am not talking about Pominville or any other big fish. There's plenty of good depth 3rd liners that can fill in the 2nd line that could have been added for a relatively cheap price.
Just look at players like Halpern... Down the line, it's our AHL depth that I don't like. Instead of giving roster spots to players who will never make the team(even on short stints.) Why can't we just sign better players... (Tenute, Hagel, Stortini ETC come to mind)

Look at Binghampton. They have a crap load of players that can fill in every spot in the roster. They have one goalie who can start (Well not anymore, he's NHL bound), they have Gryba, Benoit, Weircoch to fill in Defense... Stone, Prince, Dziurzinki, Da Costa Etc...

While our better call-ups are first year rookies or Mike Freaking Blunden. (Geoffrion injury doesnt help here, but still.)

I think MB really underestimated his team this year, and he never really tought he would be in this spot. (Which is normal.) He had a plan, he refused to adjust and we might pay in the playoffs. But every thing will be better next year for sure.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
The Bruins thing wouldnt be that bad of a thing no ? Maybe just injure them. I'm not that sick of a human being.

No but seriously, I am not talking about Pominville or any other big fish. There's plenty of good depth 3rd liners that can fill in the 2nd line that could have been added for a relatively cheap price.
Just look at players like Halpern... Down the line, it's our AHL depth that I don't like. Instead of giving roster spots to players who will never make the team(even on short stints.) Why can't we just sign better players... (Tenute, Hagel, Stortini ETC come to mind)

Look at Binghampton. They have a crap load of players that can fill in every spot in the roster. They have one goalie who can start (Well not anymore, he's NHL bound), they have Gryba, Benoit, Weircoch to fill in Defense... Stone, Prince, Dziurzinki, Da Costa Etc...

While our better call-ups are first year rookies or Mike Freaking Blunden. (Geoffrion injury doesnt help here, but still.)

I think MB really underestimated his team this year, and he never really tought he would be in this spot. (Which is normal.) He had a plan, he refused to adjust and we might pay in the playoffs. But every thing will be better next year for sure.
I'll take Drewiske, Weber, Kaberle, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn over their 3. Stone, Prince, Dzirusvkinyihdihidhfdidiski or Da Costa might have some NHL experience but outside of Stone and Prince.. they don't have much scoring punch.. White, Dumont, Armstrong have NHL experience, yeah they don't pack much scoring punch but they're reliable and physical.. if we need scoring then Kristo or Leblanc will have to come up and fill that void. It's not as dire of a situation as you made it out to be.

Ultimately Bergevin made the decision that he liked the depth of his team and the farm team that it would be silly to pony up the inflated market price for depth players he probably won't need unless some astronomical amount of injuries occur.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I'll take Drewiske, Weber, Kaberle, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn over their 3. Stone, Prince, Dzirusvkinyihdihidhfdidiski or Da Costa might have some NHL experience but outside of Stone and Prince.. they don't have much scoring punch.. White, Dumont, Armstrong have NHL experience, yeah they don't pack much scoring punch but they're reliable and physical.. if we need scoring then Kristo or Leblanc will have to come up and fill that void. It's not as dire of a situation as you made it out to be.

Ultimately Bergevin made the decision that he liked the depth of his team and the farm team that it would be silly to pony up the inflated market price for depth players he probably won't need unless some astronomical amount of injuries occur.
Yeah their Offensive depth is bad too.

But their Defensive depth is 10 times better.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Habs

A healthy team hasn't hurt MB first year either. Lets be honest here, he hasn't faced much adversity from injuries yet.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

how many new players (rookies or not) do you expect a GM to bring in an org. within less than a year ? seriously...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Yeah their Offensive depth is bad too.

But their Defensive depth is 10 times better.
and yet we've been doing just fine with Beaulieu, Tinordi or Patteryn in our line-up...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post

Exactly. Why overpay for marginal talent like the Bruins did? We kept all our picks for this year's draft and got a depth d-man for the playoffs. I really like this GM alot.

Saintpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote