HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Old
04-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
I like Dupuis as well, I think he belongs in the top 6 over someone like Morrow because Dupuis is having a career year, and because he has the high level of speed that line requires.

That said, having Iginla on the same line as Sid would really be a treat to watch.

If Sid can get back in time to get 4-5 games in before the postseason, which would give DB time to shuffle the lines a bit, I'd be all for switching Dupuis to Sid's LW. Dupuis has done it well in the recent past, and this would let Iginla play on his natural side alongside Crosby:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

If Sid is back for game 1 of the postseason with little or no regular season playing time with the team, expect to see these lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

Although I hope Iggy and Neal would switch sides in the latter case.
these are the two options I think we'll see.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
SidsBackhand

Dan what are you doing?

Kennedy started on the 4th line last game. Now 1st line center?

I can see what he's thinking. Kennedy has great tenacity and puck possession skills along the boards like Sid does. But every other aspect of his game makes this a dumb decision. Easily the worst passer on the team along with Tanner Glass. Kunitz and Dupuis thrive off of Crosby's passing abilities. Kennedy doesn't even have a clue how to distribute the puck.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
Dan what are you doing?

Kennedy started on the 4th line last game. Now 1st line center?

I can see what he's thinking. Kennedy has great tenacity and puck possession skills along the boards like Sid does. But every other aspect of his game makes this a dumb decision. Easily the worst passer on the team along with Tanner Glass. Kunitz and Dupuis thrive off of Crosby's passing abilities. Kennedy doesn't even have a clue how to distribute the puck.
he doesn't want to displace anyone important from their long term position so that they can build chemistry.

Old
04-02-2013, 10:52 AM
GermanTitov

Neal-Malkin-Iggy (keep them together to gain chemistry)
Kunitz-Sutter-Dupuis ( maximize Kunitz and Dupuis talent with a good center)
Morrow-Jeffrey-Cooke ( good checking line with some Offensive upside)
A. Glass-Adams-Kennedy ( it is what it is)
B. Adams-Vitale-Kennedy ( i prefer this but they wont scratch Glass)

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
GermanTitov

Its a slap in the face to Sutter in my opinion. i know you didnt aqcuire him to play 1st/2nd line center but give the guy a chance to step up when we have injuries. I dont think Staal would stay 3rd line center in this situation.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Let's help DB out with some lines without Sid and with Sid. This is what I think Bylsma is looking to do. This is not what I would like to see but I'm trying to think like DB. What does everyone else think will happen with the lines without Sid and with Sid?

Until Sid comes back:
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Kunitz-Jokinen-Dupuis
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy (I can see Vitale/Jeffrey in here also)

When Sid comes back:
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke (I could see Cooke and Jokinen switching places at times)
Jokinen-Adams-Kennedy (Mix in Vitale/Jeffrey - If Glass plays - I might not watch)

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Shockmaster

I think it's pretty clear after these last two games that Neal is better at RW. Until Crosby gets back, I'd like to see:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jokinen-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

Then when Crosby gets back:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Jokinen-Adams

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Jokinen has pretty decent onetimer too, so he would be great on the right side on second PP.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Bishop7979

At this point I want to see a better version of Geno out on the ice as we ramp up for the playoffs, I say stick him with Kunitz and Neal, his linemates from last season and hope that sparks something in his game the rest of the way out. Move Iggy to right wing on what will be Sids line when he comes back and hope that they gel having played together in the past internationally.

Top six now:
Kunitz Geno Neal
Duper JJ Iggy

Top six playoff time:
Duper Sid Iggy
Kuniz Geno Neal

Bottom six come playoff time:

Morrow Sutter JJ - JJ and Sutter played together in Carolina for a few years and have prob skated together in the past, Morrow would be a good grit guy to stick with them as a physical net front presence.

Cooke Adams/Vitale TK - Unreal 4th line, let them get out there and wear down whatever line they are matched up against.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:07 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

You all can come up with lines till you're blue in the face, but I'll guarantee you Bylsma won't put out anything proposed here that looks half decent anyway.

There are 3 guarantees in life.
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Bylsma never being able to figure out how to field the best possible lineup.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Wickedtune

I think I'm more patient with Bylsma than most, but if he continues with the stupid line combinations, I'm going to start to get irritated. Considering the shortened season and that we only have 10 more games to go before the playoffs, I really think he should try to avoid moving everyone about so much. Stick with line combinations that will lead to less confusion.

When Healthy:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

If Morrow can't cut it with Geno switch him with Jokinen, and if that still doesn't work but Bennett, who looked really got there in the limited amount of time he got on that line. I'd say put him there before Jokinen, but I'm at least trying to be semi-realistic as far as Bylsma is concerned. Less of players trying to get used to positions they aren't used to playing and putting players in a position they are most likely to succeed in. Until Crosby is Healthy stick Jokinen between Kunitz and Iginla, leave Cooke on the third line and I guess let Glass stay in the lineup for now. (I'd prefer Vitale but have giving up on him getting in the lineup over Glass). I could also see those LWs in lines 2 through 4 being rotated around depending on who seems to develop chemistry with each other. I know some players can play either wing, but I would think it would be best to at least try to keep them on the sides they've been pretty much playing at all year.

Whatever silly superstition Sid/Bylsma may have had about breaking up that top line should have gotten thrown right out the window when he jaw was broken less than two minutes into Iginla's first game with the Pens. I actually could see his reasoning to wanting to see what would happen leaving Sid's line together and trying Iginla with Malkin. I have now changed my mind. Not to mention putting Dupuis on the third line makes it more of a scoring threat than without him, imo.

As far as defense when healthy:

Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen

I like Depres, but I really think our penalty Kill needs Eaton.

I say all that knowing fully that Bylsma will disappoint me; at least on the forward pairings, so I don't know why I even bothered typing all this out.

I do think that defense is probably what we will see in the playoffs assuming everyone's healthy.

Last edited by Wickedtune: 04-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
When Healthy:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

If Morrow can't cut it with Geno switch him with Jokinen, and if that still doesn't work but Bennett, who looked really got there in the limited amount of time he got on that line. I'd say put him there before Jokinen, but I'm at least trying to be semi-realistic as far as Bylsma is concerned. Less of players trying to get used to positions they aren't used to playing and putting players in a position they are most likely to succeed in. Until Crosby is Healthy stick Jokinen between Kunitz and Iginla, leave Cooke on the third line and I guess let Glass stay in the lineup for now. (I'd prefer Vitale but have giving up on getting in the lineup over Glass. I could also see those LWs in lines 2 through 4 being rotated around depending on who seems to develop chemistry with each other. I know some players can play either wing, but I would think it would be best to at least try to keep them on the sides they've been pretty much playing at all year.
Those are the lines I would like to see as well.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:49 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I used to be in the be more patient with Bylsma camp...

...yeah that didn't work out too well. Its a yearly occurrence.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
PensFan68

I know most don't want to see it, but IMO Morrow needs to be with Neal/Malkin. He was able to let those two control the puck, and park himself right in front of the net where he belongs. He's MUCH better suited for that role than he is being relied upon to control the puck. His first 2 games here were great, since being moved down he hasn't looked that good (and this is coming from a huge fan of his).

If you aren't putting him on a line where his primay duty is standing in front of the net, then we just pretty much picked up a replacement for Glass (which he is an upgrade).

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:59 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
When Healthy:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen
I made my post before seeing yours, but glad to see I'm not there are a couple people that want Morrow on the 2nd line. I love your lineup, I'd try to drop Vitale in TK's spot as he's more phsyical, but no way TK is a scratch.

As for the D, I'd switch Nisky and Eaton. We need a Murray/Eaton shutdown tandem in the playoffs. Like Gill/Scuderi in the cup year.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:14 PM
SidTheKid8787

It's gonna be tough with Sid possibly out til the start of the playoffs but he will practice atleast, much sooner than that.

For that reason alone, i'd make as little changes as possible but DB has to find Malkin a left winger that works for him.

From what i've seen this season, his options are Bennett and Morrow. Stop wasting time with Iginla on left wing night after night when it's clear the mix isn't right.

So lines before Sid gets back:

Morrow/Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Kunitz-Jokinen/Sutter-Iginla

After Sid gets back:
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla/Dupuis
Morrow/Bennett-Malkin-Neal

ETA: Of course last years big line could be formed as well but you have to stick with it when the playoffs start.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:35 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

While Sid is out, I feel that Dan Bylsma wants to have Iginla play with Malkin, and he likes Malkin and Neal together, so he will force the line - maybe Malkin can play both LW and C and have two right wings (a RW down low and a RW near the point.)

Seriously, I think Dan is gong to keep them together for the next few games. Dan has also said that Jokinen is going to play between Kunitz and Dupuis (so that line seems set for the next few games).

Even though I want the Pens to win the next few games, I almost hope these lines don't work out real well, because I do believe that the following lines would be the best when the playoffs come. I just don't see Dan getting there in the next 10 games.

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Bennett/Jokinen/Morrow-Malkin-Neal (I like Morrow the best here but would like to see what JJ can do, and the fall back would be Bennett - in my opinion).

I guess we just have to have patience and hope for the best and that whatever Dan does, these pro (great) players will gel somehow and have enough passion for the Cup that they will overcome anything.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I want Morrow on the 2nd line or on the 4th. I don't like his lack of speed on our shutdown line. I think our lines would look SO much better with Bennett playing.

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Morrow - Jokinen - Adams/Vitale

That's a great shutdown 3rd line and a legitimately dangerous 4th line. That also makes a Sid or Geno double shift turn into Morrow - Sid/Geno - Jokinen. That's our "4th" line.

If they don't want Dupuis out of the top 6, that's honestly fine too.

Dupuis - Sid - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Bennett

I prefer the first version, but I'll take that over Morrow on the third and TK on the 4th.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I want Morrow on the 2nd line or on the 4th. I don't like his lack of speed on our shutdown line. I think our lines would look SO much better with Bennett playing.

Kunitz - Sid - Iginla
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

That's a great shutdown 3rd line and a legitimately dangerous 4th line. That also makes a Sid or Geno double shift turn into Morrow - Sid/Geno - Jokinen. That's our "4th" line.
This would be my ideal situation. Morrow goes to line two or four. No 3rd line duty for him. It's just not conducive to his play.

Can you imagine Morrow-Malkin-Vitale on the forecheck

I would worry about Bennett new to the playoffs normally but with the amount of experience we paid for he should have some great mentors.

The D should keep simple pairings.

Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen
Despres/Bort

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
This would be my ideal situation. Morrow goes to line two or four. No 3rd line duty for him. It's just not conducive to his play.

Can you imagine Morrow-Malkin-Vitale on the forecheck

I would worry about Bennett new to the playoffs normally but with the amount of experience we paid for he should have some great mentors.

The D should keep simple pairings.

Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen
Despres/Bort
If he can't handle it, we have freaking Brendan Morrow and Jussi Jokinen to step in for him. Let all three of them handle that 2nd line LW spot platoon style if need be. Normal play, go with BB. Want to set up the Neal play, throw Morrow in to take out the man off the faceoff. Need a big faceoff win on Geno's off side? Oh look, Jussi Jokinen is pretty good at those.

Its not like the 4th line sees a lot of 5v5 action in the playoffs without being centered by Sid or Geno anyway. I care more about how they play with Sid and Geno than how they play as a standalone line.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 04-04-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Jokinen should do well on the face-offs and help on the PK. Hopefully, the Pens will try him out in these situations so that they can see who will best fit in the line-ups for the playoffs.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
When Healthy:

Kunitz-Sid-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Kennedy

Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen

I say all that knowing fully that Bylsma will disappoint me; at least on the forward pairings, so I don't know why I even bothered typing all this out.

I do think that defense is probably what we will see in the playoffs assuming everyone's healthy.
Thirded (Fourthed?). These are my exact thoughts as well. It seems so obvious, so you know DB will never do it (at least on the forward front, like you said).

And in an alternate reality where Beau Bennett is in the lineup, my bottom-6 is:

Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett
Cooke-Jokinen-Adams

Tasty Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Superstar Shane

I suspect I'm going to be just about the only one saying this, but if everyone ever gets healthy, my lines are:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Beauregard/Jokinen-Sutter-Iginla
Cooke-Vitale-Adams/Kennedy

Beauregard vs Jokinen depends on how well Jokinen plays in the next couple of weeks, of course. And I have Adams as an option on the fourth line because he always steps his game up in the playoffs.

I have Iginla on that third line for a few reasons. For one thing, Iginla is used to being the guy on his line; not the triggerman. I also love the idea of sending Iginla out against teams' third defense pairings. I think this setup does a good job of approximating the setup when the Pens won the cup: coming at them in waves with the Sid line, then the Malkin line, then the Staal line is replaced by coming at them in waves with the Sid line, the Malkin line, and then the Iginla line.

And while I realize it's not the popular idea around here, I don't think I need to explain why I don't want to break up the best line in the league.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
zero8771

Honestly I think our top 12 forwards are

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Jussi-Adams/Vitale

Jussi needs to be taking faceoffs. Bennett needs ot be in the lineup for his speed and skill. also he has more PPG then any F not named Malkin Kunitz Crosby Dupuis Neal

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:14 PM
gdsmack267

All these line combos are insane. At what point does DB just start picking names out of a hat?

Tonights first line center is ........ Tanner Glass!

And his Right wing will be......... Brenden Morrow!

gdsmack267 is online now   Reply With Quote