HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Question from a Rangers fan...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2013, 06:57 PM
  #1
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 50
Question from a Rangers fan...

Brodeur is turning 41 in a month. It seems like the guy doesn't age. Despite great numbers this year in 19 games, eventually it will be time for him to hang up the skates. I don't know what goaltender prospects the Devils have in the pipeline (which may answer this question).

Do they have any solid potential #1 goaltender prospects in the pipeline? If not, when do you guys expect they will make a trade for a future #1? If they do, how long until they will be ready? If not do you think they make a trade at the draft for a young goalie like Bernier or some one? I was kind of expecting them to pick up Ben Bishop yesterday but they never did... (the entire reason I came here to ask this question).

Thanks.


Edit* *I COME IN PEACE*

__________________
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction."

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 04-04-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  #2
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
No ''I come in peace''?

Wedgewood might be good enough when Marty retires. Maybe Lou will go after someone if need be. Then they'll pass the reigns on to Little Brodeur.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  #3
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,195
vCash: 500
Awards:
With two veteran goaltenders both with NTCs, picking up a goaltender who would demand a NHL roster spot was never in the cards.

If either Hedberg or Brodeur decide to retire this offseason, you'll see the Devils make their first move towards their next NHL goalie. If not, you'll likely be waiting another season.

In any event, the Devils have a lot of faith in Kinkaid and Wedgewood.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:06 PM
  #4
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 11,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
No ''I come in peace''?

Wedgewood might be good enough when Marty retires. Maybe Lou will go after someone if need be. Then they'll pass the reigns on to Little Brodeur.
he sucks.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
  #5
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Abingdon, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
With two veteran goaltenders both with NTCs, picking up a goaltender who would demand a NHL roster spot was never in the cards.

If either Hedberg or Brodeur decide to retire this offseason, you'll see the Devils make their first move towards their next NHL goalie. If not, you'll likely be waiting another season.

In any event, the Devils have a lot of faith in Kinkaid and Wedgewood.
Is Wedgewood an NCAA goaltender or is he playing in Albany?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM
  #6
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Rutherford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 24,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me Maybe View Post
Is Wedgewood an NCAA goaltender or is he playing in Albany?
Played all yr in Trenton after stealing the job from the Flyers prospect goalie...with a few starts in Albany. Now with Albany the the rest of the way since Trentons season ended.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
  #7
Jack Griffin
Registered User
 
Jack Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
If Brodeur retires after next year none of the goalies in our system will be ready. Hiller and Miller are both UFAs after next season. Hopefully we can snag one of them.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:46 PM
  #8
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos
 
ZajacsShakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Rafters
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
If Brodeur retires after next year none of the goalies in our system will be ready. Hiller and Miller are both UFAs after next season. Hopefully we can snag one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
Hiller and Miller are both UFAs after next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
Miller
Eww, No.

ZajacsShakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:05 PM
  #9
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
he sucks.
Based off of what?

Wingman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:23 PM
  #10
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 11,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Based off of what?
a few posters on here have commented on his play. people they know have seen him in person, and were less than thrilled. i know for a fact he plays back up to a younger kid at shattuck's

if he;s not good enough, i don't want the devils wasting a pick just because it's marty's son.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:33 PM
  #11
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
a few posters on here have commented on his play. people they know have seen him in person, and were less than thrilled. i know for a fact he plays back up to a younger kid at shattuck's

if he;s not good enough, i don't want the devils wasting a pick just because it's marty's son.
Many people that watch hockey haven't a clue what they are actually watching so I'm not going to take anything a poster's friend's dog's third owner says seriously

I can't speak for what he did this season but his junior year he played 1 less game than the other goalie plus he's not even out of HS age yet and people can tell how good he's going to be? Das dope

Wingman77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:45 PM
  #12
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 11,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Many people that watch hockey haven't a clue what they are actually watching so I'm not going to take anything a poster's friend's dog's third owner says seriously

I can't speak for what he did this season but his junior year he played 1 less game than the other goalie plus he's not even out of HS age yet and people can tell how good he's going to be? Das dope
i've only heard bad things about the kid. that's all i'm saying.

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
  #13
njdevil26
Registered User
 
njdevil26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Clark, NJ
Country: Italy
Posts: 6,515
vCash: 500
Jonathan Bernier is an RFA after this season. He's ready for a starting role. Quick is signed long-term. Are the Kings going to want to spend even more money on a backup? I say there's an outside possibility that the Devils get Bernier's RFA rights.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
  #14
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,058
vCash: 500
The sad part is Bernier has outplayed Quick a lot this season. Though like Moose with Marty last year, Bernier doesn't even have half the starts. I need Quick to get going cause I want him in the net for the USA in olympics next year.

Wonder if the Kings board has a ''Kings need to seriously consider sitting Quick'' thread?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
  #15
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,539
vCash: 500
Kinkaid's the #2 in Albany this year while Wedge was in the ECHL. He and Frazee are both RFA's this year and Frazee has outplayed Kinkaid but is two years older (he'll be 26 to Kinkaid's 24 next year). I imagine one of them will be let go and Wedge will be playing in Albany next year. Either way I'd imagine at least one of the kids will be ready after Marty's contract is up.

I'm not sure I want a kid to be taking over for Marty anyway, I'd rather have a hold-the-fort type like Moose (though obviously not him) serve as a bridge for a year or two instead of putting the 'he has to replace Marty' pressure on an untried kid.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
  #16
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!
 
njdevils1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,191
vCash: 500
ill say this...from what ive seen ......

not a fan of kinkaid's style (quick to drop and on the knees shuffling)..... havent seen much at all of wedge's style .....some in WJC.....but he got benched. apparently he's not so much a dropper and has decent stickhandling.

in the end.....i want a decent future backstop. if both end up spiting duty, even better.

the job first is to STOP the puck.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
  #17
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Kinkaid's the #2 in Albany this year while Wedge was in the ECHL. He and Frazee are both RFA's this year and Frazee has outplayed Kinkaid but is two years older (he'll be 26 to Kinkaid's 24 next year). I imagine one of them will be let go and Wedge will be playing in Albany next year. Either way I'd imagine at least one of the kids will be ready after Marty's contract is up.

I'm not sure I want a kid to be taking over for Marty anyway, I'd rather have a hold-the-fort type like Moose (though obviously not him) serve as a bridge for a year or two instead of putting the 'he has to replace Marty' pressure on an untried kid.
Kinkaid has gotten more starts than Frazee up there I'm pretty sure. At least earlier in the year during the lockout when I was following he was. I think we need a stop gap too. All the ones I'm thinking of are too old though or will be by that time. Backstrom would be good. Nabokov would have been good, but he'll be too old by then. He's the only reason that joke of an Islanders team is in a playoff spot right now. After years of having a bunch of sieve's and trash can Rick.

Hiller I do not want. Has declined since the vertigo, and gets beat between the legs way too much. I'd almost rather have Bryz be the stop gap. Not joking either cause I liked Bryz with Phoenix. He may improve once Philly buys him out, but he may also have been destroyed for good too.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:58 PM
  #18
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Kinkaid has gotten more starts than Frazee up there I'm pretty sure. At least earlier in the year during the lockout when I was following he was. I think we need a stop gap too. All the ones I'm thinking of are too old though or will be by that time. Backstrom would be good. Nabokov would have been good, but he'll be too old by then. He's the only reason that joke of an Islanders team is in a playoff spot right now. After years of having a bunch of sieve's and trash can Rick.

Hiller I do not want. Has declined since the vertigo, and gets beat between the legs way too much. I'd almost rather have Bryz be the stop gap. Not joking either cause I liked Bryz with Phoenix. He may improve once Philly buys him out, but he may also have been destroyed for good too.
Get a blimp!

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
  #19
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Get a blimp!
Lou is scouting Marty's replacement.


Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:33 PM
  #20
goalvalchuk17
Registered User
 
goalvalchuk17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
if all else fails, put lundqvist's pads in net

goalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:48 PM
  #21
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,058
vCash: 500
Troll me if you want, but I wouldn't mind Lundqvist on this team after Marty is done. Though honestly it would be weird to replace Marty with him. Kinda like how someone said replacing him with Luongo would be weird when Marty went to UFA. Luongo is Marty's rival from Canada, and Lundqvist is Marty's biggest rival in the league and will wind up being Marty biggest rival for the second half of his career.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
  #22
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,600
vCash: 500
For what its worth, I don't think the Devils would ever touch Brodeur's kid with a draft pick. Unless it was a 7th round pick/signing him as an undrafted free agent to give him a chance to make a career for himself, I can't see why they would bring the kid in and make him handle that immense pressure of his father's legacy with this franchise being on his shoulders just because of his last name. Unless he was evaluated to have legitimate NHL potential where any team in the league would take him (at the appropriate slot of course), I don't see why they would do that to the kid.

Scott04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:59 PM
  #23
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Troll me if you want, but I wouldn't mind Lundqvist on this team after Marty is done. Though honestly it would be weird to replace Marty with him. Kinda like how someone said replacing him with Luongo would be weird when Marty went to UFA. Luongo is Marty's rival from Canada, and Lundqvist is Marty's biggest rival in the league and will wind up being Marty biggest rival for the second half of his career.
it's not going to happen for a multitude of reasons, but only blind ranger hate would prevent any devils fan from taking lundqvist as our next goalie in a heartbeat.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:59 PM
  #24
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Troll me if you want, but I wouldn't mind Lundqvist on this team after Marty is done. Though honestly it would be weird to replace Marty with him. Kinda like how someone said replacing him with Luongo would be weird when Marty went to UFA. Luongo is Marty's rival from Canada, and Lundqvist is Marty's biggest rival in the league and will wind up being Marty biggest rival for the second half of his career.
I'd take Bryzgalov as well. He's being trolled hard by that pitiful defensive corps. I think he's salvagable assuming they buy him out.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:01 AM
  #25
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
For what its worth, I don't think the Devils would ever touch Brodeur's kid with a draft pick. Unless it was a 7th round pick/signing him as an undrafted free agent to give him a chance to make a career for himself, I can't see why they would bring the kid in and make him handle that immense pressure of his father's legacy with this franchise being on his shoulders just because of his last name. Unless he was evaluated to have legitimate NHL potential where any team in the league would take him (at the appropriate slot of course), I don't see why they would do that to the kid.
Yeah me neither. I don't really want him at all to be honest.

However I must say Bernier looked really good against the Wild tonight. (Incoming ''We didn't test him, a pee wee goalie could have shut us out too no disrespect to Bernier'' post game interview from you know who!) He didn't have to make many saves, but he was very solid. I thought he was kinda overrated at first, and seeing a few of his games including one we played him. Wouldn't trade for him though while Marty is still around.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.