HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Thank you Marian Gaborik!!!

Old
04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Ih8theislanders

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Gartner
Right. Another guy who didn't get enough respect as a Ranger

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

It was both fun and maddening to watch Gabby. When he is on, he is electric. When he is not, it is hard to watch. I wish him the best.

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

You wanted Gaborik. You got Gaborik. Then you run him out of town on a rail for being Gaborik.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
You wanted Gaborik. You got Gaborik. Then you run him out of town on a rail for being Gaborik.
I don't really think that's true. He was run out of town for failing to produce. Before he came to NY, that was never really an issue. Just health. If he was healthy, he produced. That wasn't the case this year.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
HankTheTankYoLo

10/14/2009 vs Kings

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...ed-share-video

that wristshot

HankTheTankYoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Lack of compete level is such BS. People associate not hitting and not blocking shots with a lack of compete level which just isn't true. That was never Gaboriks game. Fact is, when he's not scoring he's not noticeable. All of sudden though, he'll sneak up on a team and just pot a goal.

How much he has scored is not a mistake. He's a wonderful player. He's a sneaky player. He's not a guy that stands out like Nash.

People who don't like him, or don't respect him, don't understand the different types of players in the NHL.

He is one of 3 rangers in HISTORY to score 40 goals for the team twice. He did that in essentially a 3 year tenure here. I don't know how you have any sort of trouble understanding how people love him, when he was one of our best FA signings of recent and is arguably one of the best goal scorers to ever put on a Ranger uniform.
Perfectly said.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Lack of compete level is such BS. People associate not hitting and not blocking shots with a lack of compete level which just isn't true. That was never Gaboriks game. Fact is, when he's not scoring he's not noticeable. All of sudden though, he'll sneak up on a team and just pot a goal.

How much he has scored is not a mistake. He's a wonderful player. He's a sneaky player. He's not a guy that stands out like Nash.

People who don't like him, or don't respect him, don't understand the different types of players in the NHL.

He is one of 3 rangers in HISTORY to score 40 goals for the team twice. He did that in essentially a 3 year tenure here. I don't know how you have any sort of trouble understanding how people love him, when he was one of our best FA signings of recent and is arguably one of the best goal scorers to ever put on a Ranger uniform.
Listen, I am not degrading Gaborik's talent and his goal scoring prowess. At times, it was a joy to watch and his offensive abilities were extremely appreciated after the 2008-2009 season, which fielded one of the worst rosters in recent Ranger memory.

Great talent, great skill, great goal scoring ability - when healthy, before this season. I stop short of calling him a great player. Thats all. Like Gartner, who was a much better player than Gaborik, by the way, he was missing a leadership gene. He didnt seem to possess the ability to up his game as the games got tougher late into the season. That, to me, is what separates the good players from the great.

I can certainly appreciate and respect his 2 40 goal seasons here. Thank you for that. What I cant understand is how he was someone's favorite player, or how they bought his jersey, or how they are so upset to see him go. It was time.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:53 PM
azaloum90

I'm very sad he is gone.... But I'm starting to think he needed the change of scenery... He gets to play with Dubi, Arty, Prospal, Erixon, etc... and thats probably the best trade he could have asked for in the end...

I think the real kicker was that he would never have to sacrifice his body like torts would force him to do... I really think thats why he hasn't played a good season. For someone who scored 30+ goals last year, you dont just drop off to 10-15 out of nowhere. Health is part of it, but I think Torts takes the blame.

I don't know if our GF will go up though... The idea of Nash was to work along side Gabs... now its like we basically swapped Nash for Gabs, and got fleeced in the process.. That part I do not like

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Listen, I am not degrading Gaborik's talent and his goal scoring prowess. At times, it was a joy to watch and his offensive abilities were extremely appreciated after the 2008-2009 season, which fielded one of the worst rosters in recent Ranger memory.

Great talent, great skill, great goal scoring ability - when healthy, before this season. I stop short of calling him a great player. Thats all. Like Gartner, who was a much better player than Gaborik, by the way, he was missing a leadership gene. He didnt seem to possess the ability to up his game as the games got tougher late into the season. That, to me, is what separates the good players from the great.

I can certainly appreciate and respect his 2 40 goal seasons here. Thank you for that. What I cant understand is how he was someone's favorite player, or how they bought his jersey, or how they are so upset to see him go. It was time.
Why not? Someone's favorite player can be whomever they please.

That's the beauty of saying someone is your favorite player: there are no statistical quantities attached. It's based on perception and emotion.

04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Figured I'd join in on this thread.

Gabs might of had his (noticeable) flaws, but scoring 100+ goals for this offensively-inept franchise was great. He scored many of them at key moments, and didn't only feast of weak teams like people like to say. (although he did own the Fishsticks.)

Let's not forget that he scored on of the most memorable goals in recent memory. 12:14 AM, and my dad were jumping out of our seats and celebrating like crazy.

I wish him the best in Columbus, along with all of the other former Rangers there. When they're down a goal, and have 6 skaters on, they can field:
Dubi-Arty-Prospal-Gabby
Erixon-Tyutin

Thanks for the memories, Gabs.
Most memorable match for me in the last 10 years together with the Winter Classic.

Man, I was up all night. The match ended at 6:15 for me and I had to get up at 7. It was the only time I went to work after not sleeping all night. Caused me to struggle to stay awake the whole day but damn, it was worth it!

04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Right. Another guy who didn't get enough respect as a Ranger
Another one who was traded for assets.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Why not? Someone's favorite player can be whomever they please.

That's the beauty of saying someone is your favorite player: there are no statistical quantities attached. It's based on perception and emotion.
Just my opinion, but I think if a player like Gaborik is your favorite, you are basically ignoring several other aspects of the game which are very, very important.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

At the end of the day, to me you're remembered as a quality Ranger, or not a quality Ranger. Gaborik was a quality Ranger.

04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
At the end of the day, to me you're remembered as a quality Ranger, or not a quality Ranger. Gaborik was a quality Ranger.
I agree one of the few Sather signings that did work out.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think if a player like Gaborik is your favorite, you are basically ignoring several other aspects of the game which are very, very important.
You missed my point.

A "favorite" is nothing more than what you perceive. It can be based on technical aspects, but it doesn't have to be.

For example, Gaborik is my favorite player, but I can tell you very easily that he has many flaws and regarding overall play, Nash > Gaborik, because of x, y, z, etc.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
You missed my point.

A "favorite" is nothing more than what you perceive. It can be based on technical aspects, but it doesn't have to be.

For example, Gaborik is my favorite player, but I can tell you very easily that he has many flaws and regarding overall play, Nash > Gaborik, because of x, y, z, etc.
I guess I stopped thinking like that after my teenage years.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
I guess I stopped thinking like that after my teenage years.
Thanks for taking a shot at me.

Regardless, this is why "favorite" is highly opinionated and can be very subjective.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
C'mon man. It's apersonal favorite. I find it hard to criticize something like that.

04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Can be a little more ambiguous. See; Rozsival, Avery.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
LOL one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. So my favourite player has to be someone who excels in every aspect of the game?

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Gaborik is looking pretty good in his first game as a Jacket. Noticeable. Getting some good chances. He's on the 1st PP unit with Prospal and Dubinsky. haha hard not to root for this team.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Riverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
C'mon man. It's apersonal favorite. I find it hard to criticize something like that.
Your opinion is different than mine, so you are wrong!

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I agree with the sentiment of showing appreciation for Gabby. I certainly enjoyed his first and third seasons. But it was also time for him to go.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
will1066

Hope it's ok to talk about CBJ. CBJ TV is interviewing JD, and he is gracious talking about the Rangers. All class. He says Rangers sent a team official to Gaborik's apartment with a NTC waiver form to sign. lol JD says it was down to the wire. CBJ TV also showed video of the actual trade call conducted at CBJ's offices, over the phone by the respective teams' assistant GMs.

Gaborik has a couple of SOGs after 1 period, skating with Prospal and Anisimov and playing on the #1 PP unit (same three up front). Dubi also had a shift with Prospal and Gaborik.

will1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Very strange not seeing him in a Rangers uniform.