Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Also I read that they choose to not renew play by play announcer Paul Roper contract either. I have to admit I was disappointed when I saw this. Paul was a really nice guy and I always enjoyed listening to him on the radio. Sad to see him go and I wish him the best.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:15 PM
ottergolfer

Sid roper and equipment guy hillabrand all gone.

hate to see Roper go not sure the reason but its the very nature of sports.

Sid was like 18 wins and 69 losses as the Otters head player coach and the chatter was ,the players tuned him out.

I have my thoughts on Hilly but will keep them to myself as it is just speculation .

I like the idea of young coaches that will relate and bring in fresh thinking look for at least one former NHLer.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Otters Fan

Sad to see Paul go....Very nice guy
Sid had to go about four or five years ago. Im very excited to see all the changes that will be coming this off season and cant wait for Apr 6th

Old
03-22-2013, 09:29 PM
HLLYWD99

Hows about Mr. Bassin jumps out a window and gives this team and its fans some much needed relief.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:26 AM
HF_Rangers

Very tough to see Paul go. Judging from the fan reaction, it's not a popular decision.

As for Sid, probably should have happened when he lost head coaching duties. I have no judgment on Mike.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:52 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers View Post
Very tough to see Paul go. Judging from the fan reaction, it's not a popular decision.

As for Sid, probably should have happened when he lost head coaching duties. I have no judgment on Mike.
Rest of the mgt. crew is great,,,

PS said"(it feels like a kick in the gut)", how you treated players and parents was a fn joke. You screwed players over for your own agenda! should have been fired immediately after Coach Robbie F, Robbie did not deserve his treatment and Bassin is to blame for that.

PS!You are what is wrong with hockey, politics and money talk, not talent! How's 2nd last fn place! feels good?

Enjoy your summer people.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
BramptonFan09

Next Years Otters

I hope this team looks a whole lot different next season, fingers crossed that the rumors on Ottawa passing on Sean Day are true! This team needs to be all in for next year, defense needs an upgrade and need forwards who can play defense! most importantly they need to learn to play as a team. They beat some good teams, London twice, Barrie twice, Kitchener twice, Guelph twice, Plymouth to OT twice, Oshawa twice, Owen Sound once. I think if this team can get Sean Day and a shut down defensive defenseman in the top 10 of the euro draft they will be in good shape. Raddysh has passed Felker and wouldnt surprise me if he isnt back. As for overagers I would say McDowell and Fox are locks, Kuzmyk won't be back, and Abraham would be back for now but pending a better option for a cheap price he would be on the bubble for trade. Personally I think Donnay should be traded 8 points and a minus 40 doesnt cut it, and i think he would bring some return. a dream defense for me would look like this what are your thoughts...

Pelech - (European)

Day - McDowell

Abraham/(or another OA) - Raddysh

Felker

Old
04-01-2013, 02:36 PM
KnightSpit

Otters Next Year and Day Saves The Day !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramptonFan09 View Post
I hope this team looks a whole lot different next season, fingers crossed that the rumors on Ottawa passing on Sean Day are true! This team needs to be all in for next year, defense needs an upgrade and need forwards who can play defense! most importantly they need to learn to play as a team. They beat some good teams, London twice, Barrie twice, Kitchener twice, Guelph twice, Plymouth to OT twice, Oshawa twice, Owen Sound once. I think if this team can get Sean Day and a shut down defensive defenseman in the top 10 of the euro draft they will be in good shape. Raddysh has passed Felker and wouldnt surprise me if he isnt back. As for overagers I would say McDowell and Fox are locks, Kuzmyk won't be back, and Abraham would be back for now but pending a better option for a cheap price he would be on the bubble for trade. Personally I think Donnay should be traded 8 points and a minus 40 doesnt cut it, and i think he would bring some return. a dream defense for me would look like this what are your thoughts...

Pelech - (European)

Day - McDowell

Abraham/(or another OA) - Raddysh

Felker
BramptonFan

Day may just be a stud on D one day, but do the Otters really need more youth and in experience ? Remember only 15, McDavid was a Phenom and did the job very well, but will day do the same ?? As for what you guys do on D and how you use your D, is somewhat bizzare. That Felkder Kid, missed alot of hockey due to injury correct?, of the upper body as in concussion kind, hopefully it was not career ending and hopefully he is not prone to more of the same, cause looks like the kid has all the tools.
As for tools, you never played that Murphy kid, who as per stats on the Junior team got something like what 36 points in 42 games, what the F, is he doing on your farm ?? Your KHL # 1 pick played what like 50 games and had a total of 4 points. Spend some money on scouting. Also Harper has all the tools and should be a top 3 power forward for sure. So I have a trade proposal for you from the Knights. I know one should not trade with in your own division, but Erie needs to do something and if it is two players who you have given up on, or don;t use enought here is the proposed trade.

To London from Erie : Stephen Harper F and Patrick Murphy D
To Erie from London: Scott Harrington D and Jacob James F

We will also thown in a bag of Knights Souviner pucks.

Last edited by KnightSpit: 04-01-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
04-01-2013, 03:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
BramptonFan

Day may just be a stud on D one day, but do the Otters really need more youth and in experience ? Remember only 15, McDavid was a Phenom and did the job very well, but will day do the same ?? As for what you guys do on D and how you use your D, is somewhat bizzare. That Felkder Kid, missed alot of hockey due to injury correct?, of the upper body as in concussion kind, hopefully it was not career ending and hopefully he is not prone to more of the same, cause looks like the kid has all the tools.
As for tools, you never played that Murphy kid, who as per stats on the Junior team got something like what 36 points in 42 games, what the F, is he doing on your farm ?? Your KHL # 1 pick played what like 50 games and had a total of 4 points. Spend some money on scouting. Also Harper has all the tools and should be a top 3 power forward for sure. So I have a trade proposal for you from the Knights. I know one should not trade with in your own division, but Erie needs to do something and if it is two players who you have given up on, or don;t use enought here is the proposed trade.

To London from Erie : Stephen Harper F and Patrick Murphy D
To Erie from London: Scott Harrington D and Jacob James F

We will also thown in a bag of Knights Souviner pucks.
Must be April fools day,bad deal as Harrington is set to graduate to Pitt after this season,Jammes for Murphy is reasonable the rest nope

Old
04-01-2013, 03:43 PM
dharry
Rookie User

I tend to agree with Knightspit. If Erie gets the opportunity to select Day, I am not sure that is what is needed at this point. The need on D is for depth and experience, not potential. Not everyone is going to impact as a 15 year old like McDavid - especially on defense.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharry View Post
I tend to agree with Knightspit. If Erie gets the opportunity to select Day, I am not sure that is what is needed at this point. The need on D is for depth and experience, not potential. Not everyone is going to impact as a 15 year old like McDavid - especially on defense.
While I agree with you and that may be the case, they have experience and depth on their defense. They have Pelech (19), Donnay (19), and 3 players who will be OA's next year. What they lack is skill and talent with the exception of a few. While no one knows the impact Day will have at this point I just look at Ekblad. Obviously it may not be the same case but many have Day being better than Ekblad at 15. Ekblad played well in his first year and was one of the best this season. When your team is this bad defensively it seems a bit odd to not take the best d-man available. Strome is one heck of a player with tons of potential, my thought is based strictly on team needs. If Erie takes Strome I will welcome him to the team as he is a stud. I just think if the defense is still poor in the years they are "going for it" they will not make it to far and may regret not selecting Day.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
While I agree with you and that may be the case, they have experience and depth on their defense. They have Pelech (19), Donnay (19), and 3 players who will be OA's next year. What they lack is skill and talent with the exception of a few. While no one knows the impact Day will have at this point I just look at Ekblad. Obviously it may not be the same case but many have Day being better than Ekblad at 15. Ekblad played well in his first year and was one of the best this season. When your team is this bad defensively it seems a bit odd to not take the best d-man available. Strome is one heck of a player with tons of potential, my thought is based strictly on team needs. If Erie takes Strome I will welcome him to the team as he is a stud. I just think if the defense is still poor in the years they are "going for it" they will not make it to far and may regret not selecting Day.
The draft is as it always has been... take the best player to fill the need of your team.
none of these kids coming out have played one day in the O. it is pure speculation how they will make the transition to the league .
you build your future with the draft and get the experienced players from smart trades.
take Day and make a few smart trades and the rebuild will end the growth will come .

Old
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Otters Fan

They are crazy if they have the chance to draft Day and don't. We are in such need of defensemen its crazy to think we wouldn't take him. Everything i read says hes the best skater in years. Wow think about that,a defenseman that can skate the puck out of there own zone.
Sherry has lost his mind if he doesnt draft him. Strome will be a stud for sure,but we can get by with the forwards we have currently.We dont just need one defenseman we need to also draft a stud in the import draft as well.
We only have two defensemen even worth keeping currently and thats Pelech and McDowell.
Blows my mind to think its even a question

Old
04-01-2013, 10:09 PM
BramptonFan09

I would have no problem with erie selecting strome he's a big centre that is hard to come by! I think this teams dcore lacks some talent but I am a strong believer in blaming defensive woahs team round. From some of the games I saw very few players blocked shots, few back checked leaving d out to dry, poor at getting pucks out and poor point coverage. This teams defense core isn't the that good but the forwards who get no critiscm they don't help them out much. Its imposible for defense to look good when you have no back checking and point shots being pumped at you all game. This team needs a serious change in attitude coach needs to have them afraid not to back check hard or block shots and play defense.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Otters Fan

Yes i agree 100% about the forwards needing to help more on d. I don't care how much the forwards help at the end of the day when you have little to no talent on the back end its not going to matter though.
Strome as i said will be a stud,but thats doesn't help this team with its biggest need

Old
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
BramptonFan09

Agree! I think bassin will draft strome, take a euro D in top 10 and trade for a top 4 one. I think pelech mcdowell are fine in a top 4. I think if you can get a good OA get ride of abraham but if not get rid of donnay abraham is a good 5, 6 depth guy but donnay needs to go. Was impressed with raddysh. A lot of these D were forced to play way more than they should. Which hurt them.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
KnightSpit

Draft An Import Stud ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
They are crazy if they have the chance to draft Day and don't. We are in such need of defensemen its crazy to think we wouldn't take him. Everything i read says hes the best skater in years. Wow think about that,a defenseman that can skate the puck out of there own zone.
Sherry has lost his mind if he doesnt draft him. Strome will be a stud for sure,but we can get by with the forwards we have currently.We dont just need one defenseman we need to also draft a stud in the import draft as well.
We only have two defensemen even worth keeping currently and thats Pelech and McDowell.
Blows my mind to think its even a question
Otters fan, you mean an import stud like Kuleshove, KHL # 1, wow, like 4 assist in 50 games, please make an offer to send him to the Knights, we need people to work in our concession stands. You see the Knights rarely get burned on import picks, because they actaully have their scouts board a plane and go see a player in person. The Knights do not scout by hear say, or via you tube. In every O team it all comes down to scouting. You guys have over the last 3 years one of the worst records in the O, yet amazingly peopel still fill your building, well pay those people back buy putting some of the profits into real scouting and watch the difference.

Last edited by KnightSpit: 04-02-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
04-02-2013, 04:46 PM
BramptonFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Otters fan, you mean an import stud like Kuleshove, KHL # 1, wow, like 4 assist in 50 games, please make an offer to send him to the Knights, we need people to work in our concession stands. You see the Knights rarely get burned on import picks, because they actaully have their scouts board a plane and go see a player in person. The Knights do not scout by hear say, or via you tube. In every O team it all comes down to scouting. You guys have over the last 3 years one of the worst records in the O, yet amazingly peopel still fill your building, well pay those people back buy putting some of the profits into real scouting and watch the difference.
Aha you amuse me! Otters scouting has been bad but the only reason the knights get good players is because the best euros say ' they aren't going to come to chl' or max domi's commitment to michigan wolverines, what a joke that was! Michigan hockey team should change their name to 'Michigan Knights' Kudos to kingston calling his bluff! Scott harrington drafted late in ohl 1st round because he commited to ncaa. An NCAA commitment for highend prospects these days ussually means I'm commited to the Knights. Its called rigging the draft! The hunter special! I don't blame the best players for wanting to go there because it is the best CHL franchise in the world. Its not the scouting when it comes to euros and MM AAA's best its the organization. The player has most of the power which is sad. It should be an honor to go anywhere and help build a team. Politics dominates this league which is sad.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
NHL Fanatic

It's not cheap for CHL teams to bring Europeans over, it's a rather expensive process especially because not all Europeans are necessarily going to report to CHL teams. There are a bunch of deals with agents in this process, not necessarily with scouting IMO. Just because a European doesn't have a great year in the CHL, doesn't mean the scouts are bad. It's a huge transition to come over to a different country, and adjust to the North American game. Plus factors like language barriers, adjustment to school, different lifestyle etc, stuff like these people forget to take into account.

Old
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
NHL Fanatic

I'm calling Strome to Erie. I think if the Otters pursue D it will be from other teams in the league.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
OHLFan8771

Congrats to McDavid for rookie of the year. Although I think most saw this coming though.

In regards to NHL Fanatic I agree. Strome seems to be a lock to go to Erie at #2. Originally I did not like this but the more I think about it the more I like it. I think Strome has more upside than Konecny, and he trains with Ryan and his friends which could give him a big advantage. I think Strome will fit in great in Erie. This also makes one forward I have mentioned before expendable to acquire a solid 95/96 d-man. With a top pairing d-man in the import draft this may finally be looking up for Erie.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Otters Fan

Yes congrats to Connor McDavid!!!

I still wish they would go Day or Spencer. I know Strome will make a huge impact with Erie next season,and i hope your right about the other forward being traded for a top defenseman.
This team needs to make some huge changes on the backend. I hope they are able to get a stud defenseman in the import draft. I thought thats what we were getting with Kuleshov,but we know how that turned out.
Maybe a good defenseman is still out there when we pick in the 2nd round also.
Can't wait for saturday

Old
04-04-2013, 09:06 PM
ottergolfer

what was the real story behind Kuleshov?
was it just his play? that seems a bit far fetched because at the start of the season under Robbie he was logging minutes.

even some 4th line dusters got more ice time to spell the vets.....

Old
04-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
what was the real story behind Kuleshov?
was it just his play? that seems a bit far fetched because at the start of the season under Robbie he was logging minutes.

even some 4th line dusters got more ice time to spell the vets.....
I don't know the story other than to say the minutes he was getting under Ftorek were not good ones. He looked very over matched

Last edited by Otters Fan: 04-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Ottersfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Congrats to McDavid for rookie of the year. Although I think most saw this coming though.

In regards to NHL Fanatic I agree. Strome seems to be a lock to go to Erie at #2. Originally I did not like this but the more I think about it the more I like it. I think Strome has more upside than Konecny, and he trains with Ryan and his friends which could give him a big advantage. I think Strome will fit in great in Erie. This also makes one forward I have mentioned before expendable to acquire a solid 95/96 d-man. With a top pairing d-man in the import draft this may finally be looking up for Erie.
Crisp and Cairns won't be back for sure.

Closed Thread