HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

rank these 80's stars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-15-2006, 04:43 AM
  #26
bfire
Registered User
 
bfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Peter Stastny
Dale Hawerchuk
Denis Savard
Bernie Federko
Michel Goulet
Brian Propp

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
  #27
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Dale Hawerchuk-2A
Peter Stastny-2
Denis Savard-1
Michel Goulet-4
Bernie Federko-5
Brian Propp-10

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
  #28
GSK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Uzbekistan
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Peter Stastny
Dale Hawerchuk

Denis Savard
Michel Goulet



Bernie Federko
Brian Propp

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2006, 12:36 AM
  #29
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Stastny is the clear number one here. Not even debateable really. Not only was he a points machine, but he was grittier than he got credit for; he scored a lot of tough hard nosed goals against Montreal during La Guerre that I can remember quite clearly.

Hawerchuk/Savard. Pretty even here but Hawerchuk has two big things going for him here. One is size and the other is faceoff ability. Savard was never strong on draws, but was certainly the better puckhandler. I don't think anyone really saw what Hawerchuk was capable of until he went to Buffalo and helped Mogilny score 77 and he was on the downslope of his career by then. I say Hawerchuk over Savard.

Propp/Goulet. Edge to Propp here. He was the more complete player whereas Goulet was pretty one dimensional a la Brett Hull. And while Goulet was a very consistent producer in the regular season I don't remember being as afraid of him come playoff time as I was of Propp. Even when being marked he would find ways to score, and if not he would find ways for linemates to score. And he could check too. Much as I loved the elan Goulet had to his game, I think Propp was more valuable to his team and thus a better player.

Federko. No slight to the guy, just the odd man out in this stellar group. And while I remain on the side who believes he shouldn't be in the Hall, he would be a founding member for the Hall of the Consistently Very Good which is no small feat. If not for some guy named Gartner he would be the poster boy for quiet consistency, though Bernie was far superior to Mike come playoff time.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 10:26 AM
  #30
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,384
vCash: 500
Peter Stastny: the only man in the 1980's who had captured 1000 points behind Gretzky and was the franchise of the Nords. He turned regular players into players that can play up to their potential (Dale Hunter, Anton Stastny, Marion Stastny, Michel Goulet, Jacques Richard)...if your wondering who Jacques Richard is, he got his only 50 goal season while playing with Stastny, and Stastny was only a rookie that season.

Dale Hawerchuk: I beg to differ on that Marc Savard of the 1980's, Dale Hawerchuk didn't have high top notch wingers playing with him during his time unlike Savard did with Kovylchuk and Hossa. Dale Hawerchuk was the franchise of the Jets of the 80's, posted 6 100 point seasons, finished 2nd in Hart Trophy voting in 1985 and made Winnipeg a force in the Smythe Division. While Savard had Kovylchuk and Hossa, and IMO had one good season while playing with them... who did Hawerchuk have? Paul MacLean, Laurie Boschman, Brian Mullen, Doug Smail, Thomas Steen, Moris Luckowich, Andrew McBain and Lucien DeBlois....no name talent at the time but Hawerchuk took them to post 70-100 point seasons and score 30-40 goal seasons...When Marc Savard does some magic in Boston, i'll see it to believe it...BTW..I grew up in Winnipeg watching hawerchuk work is magic..

Denis Savard: A good centre that is underrated due to his play in Chicago that no one gave credit too seeing. Turned Steve Larmer into a 80-90 point player, turned Al Secord into a 54 goal scoring power forward, Troy Murray into a Selke winning 99 point player, and pretty much took Chicago to the powerhouse of the 1980's...

Propp/Goulet: both underrated at the time, Goulet turned 4 straight 50 goal seasons, Propp pulled in 90 point seasons in Philly...like most players in the 1980's there talent was exposed due to the talent they performed on the ice...and Propp is one of the most underrated talents of all time

Bernie Federko: St.Louis fans love him but he never gets talked about due to the fact that most see him as an average player that posts up 90-100 point seasons..the talent is there but most people dont recognize it when you have players doing the same thing but for higher point totals and turning players into scoring machines...this was him, but with the point totals turned down a notch

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 12:13 PM
  #31
mjdm
Registered User
 
mjdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mjdm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post
Peter Stastny
Dale Hawerchuk

Denis Savard
Michel Goulet



Bernie Federko
Brian Propp

mjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 07:41 PM
  #32
ORR2Sanderson2ORR
Registered User
 
ORR2Sanderson2ORR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North of The Border
Posts: 2,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Peter Stastny: the only man in the 1980's who had captured 1000 points behind Gretzky and was the franchise of the Nords. He turned regular players into players that can play up to their potential (Dale Hunter, Anton Stastny, Marion Stastny, Michel Goulet, Jacques Richard)...if your wondering who Jacques Richard is, he got his only 50 goal season while playing with Stastny, and Stastny was only a rookie that season.

Dale Hawerchuk: I beg to differ on that Marc Savard of the 1980's, Dale Hawerchuk didn't have high top notch wingers playing with him during his time unlike Savard did with Kovylchuk and Hossa. Dale Hawerchuk was the franchise of the Jets of the 80's, posted 6 100 point seasons, finished 2nd in Hart Trophy voting in 1985 and made Winnipeg a force in the Smythe Division. While Savard had Kovylchuk and Hossa, and IMO had one good season while playing with them... who did Hawerchuk have? Paul MacLean, Laurie Boschman, Brian Mullen, Doug Smail, Thomas Steen, Moris Luckowich, Andrew McBain and Lucien DeBlois....no name talent at the time but Hawerchuk took them to post 70-100 point seasons and score 30-40 goal seasons...When Marc Savard does some magic in Boston, i'll see it to believe it...BTW..I grew up in Winnipeg watching hawerchuk work is magic..

Denis Savard: A good centre that is underrated due to his play in Chicago that no one gave credit too seeing. Turned Steve Larmer into a 80-90 point player, turned Al Secord into a 54 goal scoring power forward, Troy Murray into a Selke winning 99 point player, and pretty much took Chicago to the powerhouse of the 1980's...

Propp/Goulet: both underrated at the time, Goulet turned 4 straight 50 goal seasons, Propp pulled in 90 point seasons in Philly...like most players in the 1980's there talent was exposed due to the talent they performed on the ice...and Propp is one of the most underrated talents of all time

Bernie Federko: St.Louis fans love him but he never gets talked about due to the fact that most see him as an average player that posts up 90-100 point seasons..the talent is there but most people dont recognize it when you have players doing the same thing but for higher point totals and turning players into scoring machines...this was him, but with the point totals turned down a notch
Very Nice post.

One thing I would of added about Propp, was that he was a very good defensive player and great on the pk.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 04:33 PM
  #33
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Peter Stastny was a better hockey player than Gretzky much less a Hawerchuck. He is a god in his country (dont know if he does car commercials there). Stastny was almost Jagr level (4th best player on Chooch's list).

I saw Goulet play many many games in the early 80's and he was as good as anyone - a brilliant stickhandler (in no way dependant on Stastny to feed him), devastating shot and tough as hell. Did I mention his speed on the left side?

If you dont believe this watch an old Habs Nords battle. He had everything. Racism may prevent his due.

I was watching Canada v. Sweden in 87 at the Forum when I realized something was wrong - he had totally lost it overnight. Became a defensive winger for the rest of his career. The soft hands and cutting moves were lost. Mystery.

Propp would be next up on my list - the best overall winger for a while. Tough battles v. Chelios in the playoffs. A man.

Hawerchuck and denis Savard were weak, hang at the blueline centres who took advantage of a weak division to pad their stats and did nothing when they were traded East. No use for these guys.

Federko - dont make me laugh.

chooch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 04:42 PM
  #34
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Peter Stastny was a better hockey player than Gretzky much less a Hawerchuck. He is a god in his country (dont know if he does car commercials there). Stastny was almost Jagr level (4th best player on Chooch's list).

I saw Goulet play many many games in the early 80's and he was as good as anyone - a brilliant stickhandler (in no way dependant on Stastny to feed him), devastating shot and tough as hell. Did I mention his speed on the left side?

If you dont believe this watch an old Habs Nords battle. He had everything. Racism may prevent his due.

I was watching Canada v. Sweden in 87 at the Forum when I realized something was wrong - he had totally lost it overnight. Became a defensive winger for the rest of his career. The soft hands and cutting moves were lost. Mystery.

Propp would be next up on my list - the best overall winger for a while. Tough battles v. Chelios in the playoffs. A man.

Hawerchuck and denis Savard were weak, hang at the blueline centres who took advantage of a weak division to pad their stats and did nothing when they were traded East. No use for these guys.

Federko - dont make me laugh.
Amazing how all of these morons thought the Campbell Conference was NHL calibre, eh chooch? I don't know what they feed people out West, maybe stupid pills?


Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 04:47 PM
  #35
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Amazing how all of these morons thought the Campbell Conference was NHL calibre, eh chooch? I don't know what they feed people out West, maybe stupid pills?

I rank players based on watching them not reading stats 25 years later. Gretz is 12th, Stastny 13th not the other way around out of teh goodness of my heart.

chooch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 05:38 PM
  #36
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,919
vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Peter Stastny was a better hockey player than Gretzky much less a Hawerchuck. He is a god in his country (dont know if he does car commercials there). Stastny was almost Jagr level (4th best player on Chooch's list).

I saw Goulet play many many games in the early 80's and he was as good as anyone - a brilliant stickhandler (in no way dependant on Stastny to feed him), devastating shot and tough as hell. Did I mention his speed on the left side?

If you dont believe this watch an old Habs Nords battle. He had everything. Racism may prevent his due.I was watching Canada v. Sweden in 87 at the Forum when I realized something was wrong - he had totally lost it overnight. Became a defensive winger for the rest of his career. The soft hands and cutting moves were lost. Mystery.

Propp would be next up on my list - the best overall winger for a while. Tough battles v. Chelios in the playoffs. A man.

Hawerchuck and denis Savard were weak, hang at the blueline centres who took advantage of a weak division to pad their stats and did nothing when they were traded East. No use for these guys.

Federko - dont make me laugh.
Why don't you take your racism ******** to the politics forum cooch?

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
  #37
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post

Hawerchuck and denis Savard were weak, hang at the blueline centres who took advantage of a weak division to pad their stats and did nothing when they were traded East. No use for these guys.
Dale Hawerchuk
1990-91 Buffalo Sabres 80 GP 31 G 58 A 89 Pts 32 PIM
1991-92 Buffalo Sabres 77 GP 23 G 75 A 98 Pts 27 PIM
1992-93 Buffalo Sabres 81 GP 16 G 80 A 96 Pts 52 PIM
1993-94 Buffalo Sabres 81 GP 35 G 51 A 86 Pts 91 PIM

Yup, he never did anything once he was traded to the East. Had already been in the league for 10 seasons, yet there he was still racking up 85 point seasons like clockwork.

Led the team in scoring in 90-91, 91-92. Was the key to the lethal PP unit with Lafontaine and Mogilny when Alex popped 76 in 92-93 (Hawerchuk also led the team in playoff scoring that year); and led the team in scoring again in 93-94.

But players from the West are never any good in the East. What a steaming pile of crap. Selective memory must be spacialty because if memory serves me the Habs ALWAYS had to put Carbonneau on Hawerchuk when they played the Sabres. Not on Lafontaine. Maybe your bias doesn't let you acknowlege anyone West of the Ontario border so you didn't see him as a Jet, but if you're such an avid watcher of the East you must have been blind not to see him in Buffalo.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 11:53 AM
  #38
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74 View Post
Dale Hawerchuk
1990-91 Buffalo Sabres 80 GP 31 G 58 A 89 Pts 32 PIM
1991-92 Buffalo Sabres 77 GP 23 G 75 A 98 Pts 27 PIM
1992-93 Buffalo Sabres 81 GP 16 G 80 A 96 Pts 52 PIM
1993-94 Buffalo Sabres 81 GP 35 G 51 A 86 Pts 91 PIM

Yup, he never did anything once he was traded to the East. Had already been in the league for 10 seasons, yet there he was still racking up 85 point seasons like clockwork.

Led the team in scoring in 90-91, 91-92. Was the key to the lethal PP unit with Lafontaine and Mogilny when Alex popped 76 in 92-93 (Hawerchuk also led the team in playoff scoring that year); and led the team in scoring again in 93-94.

But players from the West are never any good in the East. What a steaming pile of crap. Selective memory must be spacialty because if memory serves me the Habs ALWAYS had to put Carbonneau on Hawerchuk when they played the Sabres. Not on Lafontaine. Maybe your bias doesn't let you acknowlege anyone West of the Ontario border so you didn't see him as a Jet, but if you're such an avid watcher of the East you must have been blind not to see him in Buffalo.
Malefic, don't waste your time and your quality posts debating chooch and his Stalinistic love for revisionist history. The guy conveniently never has a retort to the fact that most people and players in the game considered the Smythe Division to be the best in hockey from 1984-85 to 1990-91, with Edmonton and Calgary the two best in the league on multiple occasions.

One thing that chooch will never point out is how much hockey Hawerchuk and Savard played in their early years. Hawerchuk was the best player on the Jets from the moment he arrived. He turned Paul MacLean into a 100-point player. The Jets went from last in the league in 80-81 to a .500 team the following season, with Hawerchuk the only notable addition. He wasn't just the go-to-guy in Winnipeg, he was the only credible first-line talent a lot of years. If you stopped Hawerchuk, you stopped the Jets. It's just that stopping Hawerchuk wasn't very easy. And he still managed over a point-per-game in 1993-94 with Buffalo, despite a) the onset of a degenerative hip condition that really limited his play the last three years, b) the absence of Pat LaFontaine and c) an injury to Mogilny, followed by gun shy and apathetic performances by Mogilny upon his return.

Savard, like Hawerchuk, was the focal point of the Hawks offence and opposition checkers the moment Savard stepped on to the ice. He forged a great chemistry with Larmer, and Larmer was the perfect trigger man to play with Savard. (It should be noted that Larmer had the best year of his career following Savard's trade). The Savard that Montreal acquired was a shell of the player he once was. 10 years of being the focal point of a team's offence, plus five trips to the Conference Final, plus two injury-plagued seasons that had diminished his effectiveness, will do that to a player. It didn't help Savard that he went from setting up the gritty, all-round skill of Steve Larmer, to setting up the supremely talented, but soft and enigmatic Stephane Richer.

But chooch will also ignore the fact that Stastny and Goulet weren't as effective in the West as in the East.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.