HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Umm im pretty sure michael jordan was scum as a teammate , almost to the point where none of them even keep contact with the guy.
Yeah.. but MJ was one of if not the best to play the game.

Not even comparable to Bryz, not sure what your point was.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:24 PM
xifentoozlerix

I find it hard to believe that some of the fans here could possibly reconcile all of the different reasons why they are unhappy with the Flyers' goaltending. Apparently Bryz sucks, Reese sucks, I suppose Lemelin sucked, something always sucks about the goaltending, but it is never the team defense that sucks according to these types of fans. That is never the reason a goalie looks terrible, it can only be the reason why goalies who actually suck ever look good. When Leighton got to the finals, he sucked. He really did. Leighton always did suck. But the team defense sure didn't suck that season.

BTW, did you know that Michael Leighton has the 4th best all time save percentage for any goalie in a Flyers sweater with >25 games played?

He sure wasn't the 4th most talented goalie to ever suit up for them....

Old
04-04-2013, 10:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
I find it hard to believe that some of the fans here could possibly reconcile all of the different reasons why they are unhappy with the Flyers' goaltending. Apparently Bryz sucks, Reese sucks, I suppose Lemelin sucked, something always sucks about the goaltending, but it is never the team defense that sucks according to these types of fans. That is never the reason a goalie looks terrible, it can only be the reason why goalies who actually suck ever look good. When Leighton got to the finals, he sucked. He really did. Leighton always did suck. But the team defense sure didn't suck that season.

BTW, did you know that Michael Leighton has the 4th best all time save percentage for any goalie in a Flyers sweater with >25 games played?

If our goalie consistently played well for a full season, I doubt many would have anything to complain about. The last time we had a goalie play lights out during a full season was Boucher's rookie year.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:39 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
dude that jvr play happened at a ridiculous speed and with that accuracy, considering most of those just either don't get lifted or go over the net, it wasn't a must save. that was a pretty good game by everybody. believe me, i aint ever forgetting that freak fest of a performance last night (the whole game was ruined for me by that one goal) but i love this team and he's our goalie. forget that cap hit for now and just watch the game. were winning. we might just pull this outta our *****. and we got mason now so i aint gonna bit ch to bit ch.
The JVR play didn't really happen at an incredible rate of speed. Bryz knew he had to guard the post, Bryz was on the post, he just got lazy and left the top corner completely unprotected, didn't close down the angle, and he got beaten. Simple mental lapse / lazy play.

Too many mental lapses from a supposed #1 goalie. I literally cannot wait for Mason to get his first start so that we can compare Bryz with another guy who at least at one point had enough skill to be a legitimate starter and who is still young enough to be in his prime. It's easy to make Bryz look like a world-beater when the other options are Boosh and Leights. Now let's see what happens when Mason takes the net.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:47 PM
xifentoozlerix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
If our goalie consistently played well for a full season, I doubt many would have anything to complain about. The last time we had a goalie play lights out during a full season was Boucher's rookie year.
And you think it was entirely a result of Boucher's talent that he seemed to you to play well that whole year? Did Lemelin ruin him?

What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
The JVR play didn't really happen at an incredible rate of speed. Bryz knew he had to guard the post, Bryz was on the post, he just got lazy and left the top corner completely unprotected, didn't close down the angle, and he got beaten. Simple mental lapse / lazy play.

Too many mental lapses from a supposed #1 goalie. I literally cannot wait for Mason to get his first start so that we can compare Bryz with another guy who at least at one point had enough skill to be a legitimate starter and who is still young enough to be in his prime. It's easy to make Bryz look like a world-beater when the other options are Boosh and Leights. Now let's see what happens when Mason takes the net.
It is also easy to look bad when you have a defense in front of you that is average at best when fully healthy, and in their present condition it is a wonder Bryz can win any games at all. He was possibly the only guy on the team that nobody had a bad thing to say about to start this season. I don't find it odd at all that he has looked worse as the team in front of him has deteriorated over the course of this season. It doesn't make the goaltending the team's big problem.

Last edited by xifentoozlerix: 04-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
And you think it was entirely a result of Boucher's talent that he seemed to you to play well that whole year? Did Lemelin ruin him?

What happened?
I would say it was because of his talent mostly. He was a former first round pick prior to that.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Ryker

Quote:
It is also easy to look bad when you have a defense in front of you that is average at best when fully healthy, and in their present condition it is a wonder Bryz can win any games at all.
You should have watched the last couple of games and not just speak in abstract generalities.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I'm just trying to be fair here, was that really considered a bad game by bryz? the only goal that looked weird was that shot from the point looked straight on to me but its hard to tell when your not ice level. there was a ton of traffic in front. van reimsdyk's goal was pure skill.
I feel he should have had at least one of the three goals. Maybe none of them were terrible on their own, but none of them were unstoppable, either. On Kulemin's goal he drifted away from the crease (mentioned in the intermission, as well), on the second one he didn't see the shot, but I think he should have, and on the third JVR's effort was incredible, but Bryz left a lot of space over his shoulder. So you know, I'm not necessarily blaming him for the goals, but he's not put in goal only to not be blamed for anything. He saves one of those three here and there, and we have ourselves a .910 or higher goaltender, and someone we're happy with. To his credit, he held the fort at the end, though.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:

What happened?

It is also easy to look bad when you have a defense in front of you that is average at best when fully healthy, and in their present condition it is a wonder Bryz can win any games at all. He was possibly the only guy on the team that nobody had a bad thing to say about to start this season. I don't find it odd at all that he has looked worse as the team in front of him has deteriorated over the course of this season. It doesn't make the goaltending the team's big problem.
Bryz isn't really winning games most of the time; let's not give him credit he hasn't earned. Far too often the team has to bail him out and outscore his mistakes. Tonight, for instance, he owes a few guys beers. And last night, as well. His running tab must be getting pricey.

04-05-2013, 01:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
I wonder how much of a "look" they will give Mason this year. the Toronto game was a game i thought he would start. Next up is a slumping Jets team on Saturday. Might be the perfect game to start. Ilya Notmyfaultov needs a rest I think.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:55 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

As long as the other goalie allows more softies, like last night, the Flyers are fine.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:21 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I have a feeling that we won't see Mason until we lose one.

Lavi won't change whats working even though Bryz has had near nothing to do with the 4 gm win streak.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz isn't really winning games most of the time; let's not give him credit he hasn't earned. Far too often the team has to bail him out and outscore his mistakes. Tonight, for instance, he owes a few guys beers. And last night, as well. His running tab must be getting pricey.
Explains the need for a huge contract.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:26 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
In the 4 game winning streak the Flyers have scored 18 goals(4.5 goals per game). It's not hard to win games when you're scoring that many goals. Aside from the Boston game, Bryz hasnt been sharp at all the last 3 games. He's given up 10 goals on 74 shots in the last 3 games which is good for a save percentage of .86%.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
FlyersFan61290

In bryz's 35 starts this season he's posted a .910 sv% or better in 19 games (over half his games played). In those 19 games his sv% is 0.937. those numbers also indicate how bad his stats where in the other 16 games for sure but lets not act like there weren't more then a few games that almost everyone on here agreed the loss and the bad numbers posted wheren't his fault (a particular devils game early in the season comes to mind where bryz was hungout to dry all game long). the team in front of him wasn't scoring early in the season either, so even when bryz was playing well the team wasn't exactly piling up the points.

go through my posts, this is coming from the guy who thinks bryz has to be much much better overall and that if he doesn't pull it together next season and play great that he should in fact be amnestied, in other words i would consider myself a bryz supporter. I guess i'm just trying to say that blaming bryz/saying that he's the big reason the team is sitting at the 11th seed is bull imo. a goalies stats don't tell the whole story.

overall if the team is going to go on a run to make the playoffs bryz has to be better than he's been the past 4 games.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:

Thank goodness someone making the same argument. The worst thing about all of this is the fact that Homer constantly makes these "franchise player" type of contract agreements then goes and hides. When he went and gave Bryz the big contract it was like a statement of "You are our goalie for the rest of your career," and if that is the case, BUILD AROUND HIM. Build the D around him.

Don't go get a weak, overpaid guy from CBJ that you tell the media, "He's one of two." Just letting Bryz know after 1 bad/less than average season and a shortened season with one of the worst Defensive situations that he is going to share the load with a guy who had one good year...that's how u fix goaltending.

It's so frustrating

Old
04-05-2013, 10:28 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
As long as the other goalie allows more softies, like last night, the Flyers are fine.
If that's what the Flyers need to rely on to make the playoffs, they're in trouble.

04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
flyersguy33*

that jvr goal was down right brutal to let in. no goalie should ever get best top corner from that close in defense there or not. did anyone see where he had his glove positioned? Down behind his pad that was almost flat to the ice. Quite possibly the worst positioning to have on a play like that. you are taught when you are 6 to keep your body and glove up on a play like that. If he had done so the puck would have hit him square in the chest or went in his glove. but nope he gets scored on and looks like a fool on a goal that should have been an easy save

Old
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Over the past couple weeks has anyone noticed Bryz has been looking behind alot when making "routine" saves. Not that it's anything out of the norm for him, but now every save seems like a shakey one. If your goaltender is doubting himself about routine saves and not getting square to the puck, you've got some problems then.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Comcast truck in full out desperation mode.

Pretty much any ordinary NHL caliber goaltender save is being made the "Save of the game" so Bryz can get the honors.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Ryker

I don't think Bryzgalov has been terrible, but at this point I also think he needs to be bought out. His cap hit is just too high for what he's providing, and I'd rather spend that money on someone else. I'd hate it if this would, for example, prevent us from being able to re-sign Read.

I'm still undecided as to when to buy him out, though. On one hand, I'd like to see him turn it around next year and play awesome, but on the other, every time I watch a game, my hopes get crushed. It's not that he can't make great saves, he absolutely can, but the consistency just isn't there. And some of the goals he allows are just deflating. So I guess I would look at players we want to sign during the summer and see how their cap hits would fit, and if we'd be over the limit, I'd just buy him out now rather than wait another year.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
that jvr goal was down right brutal to let in. no goalie should ever get best top corner from that close in defense there or not. did anyone see where he had his glove positioned? Down behind his pad that was almost flat to the ice. Quite possibly the worst positioning to have on a play like that. you are taught when you are 6 to keep your body and glove up on a play like that. If he had done so the puck would have hit him square in the chest or went in his glove. but nope he gets scored on and looks like a fool on a goal that should have been an easy save
Not exactly. That close in, one would expect a forward to try to do a quick stick-handle around or just power it through. It wasn't the right strategy and he obviously could have played it better, but I can understand why Bryzgalov went paddle-down. It was quite a snipe by JvR.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:14 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Not exactly. That close in, one would expect a forward to try to do a quick stick-handle around or just power it through. It wasn't the right strategy and he obviously could have played it better, but I can understand why Bryzgalov went paddle-down. It was quite a snipe by JvR.
I thought the same.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Blocked Shots: 4th
Shots Against/G: 7th (STL, LAK, NJD, CHI, NSH, MTL, PHI, BOS - pretty solid company)
Goals Against/G: 24th (WIN, PHI, NYI, CAR, DAL, COL, FLA, CGY - not so much)

Meanwhile...

Bryzgalov's Save Percentage: 55th

Old
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Blocked Shots: 4th
Shots Against/G: 7th (STL, LAK, NJD, CHI, NSH, MTL, PHI, BOS - pretty solid company)
Goals Against/G: 24th (WIN, PHI, NYI, CAR, DAL, COL, FLA, CGY - not so much)

Meanwhile...

Bryzgalov's Save Percentage: 55th
Prepare yourself for this list to be countered with another list of backups, questionable starters, and Jonathan Quick.

Closed Thread