HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Sulzer - Opinions & Future?

Old
04-04-2013, 06:22 AM
TheHoff

vCash: 500
Alexander Sulzer - Opinions & Future?

I couldn't find a fitting thread for this discussion, so I started a new one:
What do you guys think about Alex Sulzer? I think he's pretty underrated as he played very good for us after the trade with Vancouver last season. This campaign was good to "ok", but since he never got the chance of playing in a top 6-role before coming to the busted d-core of the Sabres, I think he did a pretty good job for this team. On a sidenote, he seems to be the best buddy of Mr. Hoff (Ehrhoff posted on his Twitter account that Sulzer is his best friend on the team) and we all know that they have a very good chemistry on the ice.

His shot is underrated and he can skate. Problem is his physical aspect of the game or better: the non-physical style of his play. Still, I think that he should get another chance in the Sabres uniform, give him a two-year deal with $$$~1.2 million.

What do you guys think about it?

Last edited by TheHoff: 04-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
gallagt01

I'll pass. Nice depth player, but far too soft and easy to play against (based on my viewings).

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Criispen

Good depth player, has a nice shot and ain't afraid to use it. Sure, he isn't overly physical but I could see him staying as 7th/6th D next year if Mcnabb isn't ready. He's good to have on our PP too. I kinda look at him as a better Brennan that hits the net more often.

Last edited by Criispen: 04-04-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Criispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Honestly, it depends on UFA and any predraft moves but I could see him resigning for 2 years at about 1 million per.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
OcAirlines

If we can get him for cheap I'd definitely keep him. He played better than a lot of our other D-Men this season and I think still has some room to grow, should be a good bottom-pairing option and has great chemistry with Ehrhoff. I think Sulzer would be a good fit on a rebuilding team like we'll probably be, we need D-Depth for next season anyway and with him we don't have to rush any of our young D-Men in if they aren't ready, but it's no problem to bump him out of the line-up if some of our young guys outplay him.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:17 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Cheap, solid, good team guy who's had a + in the +/- column all season. Great depth dman, and if our dcorps are getting younger we could do with someone like him sticking around.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Should not have been above Pardy on the depth chart.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Should not have been above Pardy on the depth chart.
That was purely a financial / numbers decision.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
TehDoak
Forgot About Z

vCash: 903
We certainly could use an extra vet d-man....that being said, give the softness of the top 3 (Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera), I'd rather build up our bottom 3+ 7/8 slots with some sand paper. There are a few good bottom pairing guys with some grit available. We have Weber already.

Not a bad D-man, just too much of what we already have.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
skibum

Highly underrated because of his past career, and he can be had for cheap. I have really liked his game. I hope Darcy's replacement signs him to a 3-4 year deal this summer.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
"Soft-zer" may be a transition guy here because they know him and he's had moments. If he is and it's really affordable, eh. We already know he's going to be tissue soft but he's got better positioning and defensive stickwork than some of the guys who've been d-zone trainwrecks, but I'd rather they try to find a Weaver-type personally. The blueline is too soft as it is.

04-04-2013, 08:03 PM
AirBriere48

Totally forgot he was on the team until I saw this thread.

AirBriere48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

I see them signing him again as depth. They also need to make a mid-level signing or acquire someone through trade (less likely) for a little extra stability. It's still going to be a young blueline next year.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Djp

My feeling he will sign a 1 yr contract at not much more than what he is getting now.

i think he has done well here in his short time. He likes it here. It gives some depth.

a big factor in this will be in the transactions....do they sign a UFA Dman, do they get a young 22-25 yr old one as part of a trade.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Djp

With the defense 4 slots should be a lock---Sekera, Ehrhoff, Myers, and Weber

Pysak and McNabb will battle for one spot

Do they sign a mid range UFA Dman or make a deal for one?

The other option---I am not sure what the rules are with this---If you sign a veteran to an AHL contract how freely can you call them up without going through waivers?

An example would be with Pardy to rochester.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
With the defense 4 slots should be a lock---Sekera, Ehrhoff, Myers, and Weber

Pysak and McNabb will battle for one spot

Do they sign a mid range UFA Dman or make a deal for one?

The other option---I am not sure what the rules are with this---If you sign a veteran to an AHL contract how freely can you call them up without going through waivers?

An example would be with Pardy to rochester.
With a rebuild, Pysyk and McNabb may be pencilled in already for next year. Let them learn on the job -- Pysyk certainly seems to be steady enough to be here already. But a vet mid-pairing guy would be most welcome. Toni Lydman actually fits what they could use.

There is no way to sign someone to a waiver exempt deal.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:10 PM
joshjull

Let him go. He is brutal defensively.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Let him go. He is brutal defensively.
Didn't you dub him "Soft-zer"? It's fitting. They already have too many cream puffs on the blueline. They need harder guys to play against back there, not easier. I'd rather they look to have Pardy back as the #8.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:16 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Didn't you dub him "Soft-zer"? It's fitting. They already have too many cream puffs on the blueline. They need harder guys to play against back there, not easier. I'd rather they look to have Pardy back as the #8.
I don't think I did

But I did start pointing out early how incredibly weak he is on the puck and in 1 on 1 battles. It was amazing to watch how bad he was.

I agree on Pardy. A tough solid 6/7 dman.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't think I did

But I did start pointing out early how incredibly weak he is on the puck and in 1 on 1 battles. It was amazing to watch how bad he was.

I agree on Pardy. A tough solid 6/7 dman.
Vet #8 for when the injuries inevitably happen was my thought. They need a guy who can either eat some minutes well OR does something really, really well (thus the Weaver reference due to his PKing excellence). Sulzer does not do anything well. Being soft in puck battles has to be rooted out of this organization.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:34 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

For a 3rd pairing guy you could do worse.I'd sign him 2 years/1.6 million total.He has chemistry with Ehrhoff and is a decent #6/7 guy.He surprisingly has a good shot and can get some pucks in the net.That is a major weakness for the team, offensive production from our d-men.Funny observation, going back to last year, Sulzer has 1 more goal then Sekera in 63 less games.Keep Sulzer, he has an underrated shot and 6 goals in 32 career games as a Sabre is pretty impressive for a bottom pairing guy.12 points in 32 career games as a Sabre comes out as 31 points per season.Pretty surprising production from a #6 type dman.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:46 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Vet #8 for when the injuries inevitably happen was my thought. They need a guy who can either eat some minutes well OR does something really, really well (thus the Weaver reference due to his PKing excellence). Sulzer does not do anything well. Being soft in puck battles has to be rooted out of this organization.
I'm thinking a #7 that fills in for injuries, essentially the same.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:02 AM
sand1138man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
For a 3rd pairing guy you could do worse.I'd sign him 2 years/1.6 million total.He has chemistry with Ehrhoff and is a decent #6/7 guy.He surprisingly has a good shot and can get some pucks in the net.That is a major weakness for the team, offensive production from our d-men.Funny observation, going back to last year, Sulzer has 1 more goal then Sekera in 63 less games.Keep Sulzer, he has an underrated shot and 6 goals in 32 career games as a Sabre is pretty impressive for a bottom pairing guy.12 points in 32 career games as a Sabre comes out as 31 points per season.Pretty surprising production from a #6 type dman.
Honestly, I think he is a very solid player (when he's playing and healthy) I don't know if I am over-rating him because he was part of that hogson deal and I never expected him to even crack the line-up let alone be decent. He is somewhat of a veteran on a team that is going to need a couple vets, he is sound defensively, and i am never shocked when he scores like I would be with weber or other defensemen.

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:14 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
Honestly, I think he is a very solid player (when he's playing and healthy) I don't know if I am over-rating him because he was part of that hogson deal and I never expected him to even crack the line-up let alone be decent. He is somewhat of a veteran on a team that is going to need a couple vets, he is sound defensively, and i am never shocked when he scores like I would be with weber or other defensemen.
No he isn't, not remotely. He was easily the weakest 1 on 1 dman on this team and thats saying something.

Sulzer was carried by Ehrhoff in his time here. A player he shouldn't be paired with because he doesn't belong in the top 4.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Djp

the issue i have is that Buffalo hasnt really had him for that much time

He has played a TOTAL of 32 games

his stat line is 6-6-12 +5 around 17:30 per game.

I'd rather give him a full season to evaluate him.

Prior to this he played a total of 74 NHL games with 1-7-8