HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Yep. Tried his best to look like a winger on the dot, though.
I'll take that back, halpern was 38% on faceoffs. Built in excuse for everybody!

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-04-2013, 10:22 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
I'll take that back, halpern was 38% on faceoffs. Built in excuse for everybody!
Didn't DAChamp kinda extrapolate statistically that most faceoffs are pretty much a coin-toss?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:23 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Yep. Tried his best to look like a winger on the dot, though.
Good. Was getting worried that all of our 1st round centers were getting too comfy playing their natural position after a year or 2 of development.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm surprised people still think Plekanec is replaceable. Even if Eller keeps developing and reaches Plekanec level, their versatility in the roles they can play only would make the team extremely hard to play against rather than hinder each other's production.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm surprised people still think Plekanec is replaceable. Even if Eller keeps developing and reaches Plekanec level, their versatility in the roles they can play only would make the team extremely hard to play against rather than hinder each other's production.
Or in other words, what would Boston be like with two Patrice Bergerons.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Most underrated center in the NHL, so I'm not really surprised some people think his loss can be nullified.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:38 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Exactly. Why ruin our depth/versitality? I'd move DD to wing and have Galchenyuk groomed in the #3C spot in the coming years. Plek-Eller-Galch is a great 1,2,3 punch.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Bekbe

Quote:
i agree, this is why i'm worry about the 4 years contract of Desharnais, i prefert by far having a tow way player like Plekanec and with Galchenyuk rising....

Old
04-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
First of all, as much as I love Eller, thinking he can fully replace Plekanec because he dominated a bad Winnipeg team is a bit wishful thinking. I still don't want Eller out there on even strength against the Girouxs of the league. Plekanec can get dominated against the best, but rarely humilated.

Second, what you said. Having both Eller and Plekanec only means a more effective offense-only line going forward.

Even in a game like today when the Habs were by far the better team and Eller, Desharnais and Galchenyuk all did their jobs, the absence of Plekanec was still felt a bit.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekbe View Post
i agree, this is why i'm worry about the 4 years contract of Desharnais, i prefert by far having a tow way player like Plekanec and with Galchenyuk rising....
Gotta move him to wing. He's a good player but Eller and Plek are better centres IMO. Better defensively, better reach, more physical. Galchenyuk clearly plays better at C, and as much as DD has proven he's a quality NHLer, we can't interrupt Galch's development.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
First of all, as much as I love Eller, thinking he can fully replace Plekanec because he dominated a bad Winnipeg team is a bit wishful thinking. I still don't want Eller out there on even strength against the Girouxs of the league. Plekanec can get dominated against the best, but rarely humilated.

Second, what you said. Having both Eller and Plekanec only means a more effective offense-only line going forward.

Even in a game like today when the Habs were by far the better team and Eller, Desharnais and Galchenyuk all did their jobs, the absence of Plekanec was still felt a bit.
Nailed it. Great post.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:31 PM
kernkraft

Eller is love
Eller is life

Old
04-04-2013, 11:41 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Eller is love
Eller is life
Hahaha. Post of the year!

Old
04-05-2013, 12:19 AM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Eller is love
Eller is life
Eller is center

Old
04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
LePoche69

Well, time to get down on Earth about Eller.

The guy has great skills, but he has poor vision. He doesn't play like a center should play, and I'm not even convinced he could learn to play as a winger.

The guy doesn't know when to pass, and more often than not makes the bad decision in the offensive zone. He's great on the PK, but overall pretty average in the defensive side of the game.

Hell, Bourque has more goal than him despite Eller's increased responsabilities and Bourque's injury!!!

Eller is flashy but nothing to write home about overall. My bet is he's gonna be traded this summer.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post

The guy has great skills, but he has poor vision. He doesn't play like a center should play, and I'm not even convinced he could learn to play as a winger.

The guy doesn't know when to pass, and more often than not makes the bad decision in the offensive zone. He's great on the PK, but overall pretty average in the defensive side of the game.Hell, Bourque has more goal than him despite Eller's increased responsabilities and Bourque's injury!!!

Eller is flashy but nothing to write home about overall. My bet is he's gonna be traded this summer.
Hmmm...I must of counted at least 6 or 7 great defensive plays by Eller last night. He played a GREAT game vs the Jets, was a factor in all 3 zones last night.

For a guy who rarely sees PP time, he's got 4 goals and 19pts...

Eller IMO, is one of the reasons why the Habs are so solid this year...being able to ice 3 scoring lines is what every team wants.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:

The guy doesn't know when to pass, and more often than not makes the bad decision in the offensive zone. He's great on the PK, but overall pretty average in the defensive side of the game.

Hell, Bourque has more goal than him despite Eller's increased responsabilities and Bourque's injury!!!

He's 23 y/o for christ sakes. It's his first year blossoming his skills. He looks 50 times better than last year because he's gaining a ton of confidence.

Your comparong his stats to Bourque whos 7 years older than him.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

This is probably the worst player assessment I've read on these boards.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Et le But

Quote:
You say he hogs the puck too much and then point to his goal total instead of point total.

Most of that "increased responabilities" are in the defensive zone. Less than 45% of his starts are in the o-zone.

It's ridiculous posts like this that lead to hyperbole about how good Eller is from the other side.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

Yeesh.. brutal post.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:06 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:

Can we take turns to slap this guy?

Old
04-05-2013, 03:08 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:

Eller should just retire. Solid post. Would read again.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
LePoche69

Ok, then prove me wrong. Sure he had a great game last night. I don't say he never has a great game. But most compliment I see here has more to do with hope than with Eller's actual production on the ice.

Yes he's only 23. He plays better than last year, mainly in his level of effort, but it barely translates in effective production.

Yes, he's average defensively, having 1 good game for 1 bad game (I'm not counting PKing where he's great). but since he's only 23, I'm willing to concied he's probably gonna be a good defensive player.

People thinks he plays well because he's flashy and he's good at stickhandling. But watch the games: it doesn't translate because he has poor vision. Heck, Galchenyuk and Prust stopped producing when Eller became their center. Yesterday's game showed how "free" Galchenyuk was not having to wait for a pass that never comes, and he playd his best game in a long time.

Everybody blast my post, but nobody prooved me wrong with facts. Eller is great on the PK, and great at "trying" to do everything himself, but his line never produce. And I don't care about last game -- that makes just one.

When do we see a crisp and precise pass from Eller? 1 or 2 every 5 games?

Paint it in any color you want, he isn't producing. I'm ok to have him on the third line because he's good enough for it and great on the PK. That's about it. Galchenyuk is the futur center of this team, and if Eller doesn't learn to play wings, he's good as gone.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:28 PM
habsman56
Habs&Hoops

Quote:
Ok, then prove me wrong. Sure he had a great game last night. I don't say he never has a great game. But most compliment I see here has more to do with hope than with Eller's actual production on the ice.

Yes he's only 23. He plays better than last year, mainly in his level of effort, but it barely translates in effective production.

Yes, he's average defensively, having 1 good game for 1 bad game (I'm not counting PKing where he's great). but since he's only 23, I'm willing to concied he's probably gonna be a good defensive player.

People thinks he plays well because he's flashy and he's good at stickhandling. But watch the games: it doesn't translate because he has poor vision. Heck, Galchenyuk and Prust stopped producing when Eller became their center. Yesterday's game showed how "free" Galchenyuk was not having to wait for a pass that never comes, and he playd his best game in a long time.

Everybody blast my post, but nobody prooved me wrong with facts. Eller is great on the PK, and great at "trying" to do everything himself, but his line never produce. And I don't care about last game -- that makes just one.

When do we see a crisp and precise pass from Eller? 1 or 2 every 5 games?

Paint it in any color you want, he isn't producing. I'm ok to have him on the third line because he's good enough for it and great on the PK. That's about it. Galchenyuk is the futur center of this team, and if Eller doesn't learn to play wings, he's good as gone.
He has 19 points in 35 games. That isn't bad production, that's 45 points in a full season. Add to the fact that his defensive play has single handedly helped us win some games and I don't know how you can be complaining about a 23 year old that is making such a strong impact on our roster.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
LePoche69

You guys are blasting my first post, but you don't reply to it. Let,s read the elements I wrote:

The guy has great skills...
What's wrong with that?

...but he has poor vision.
You don't agree? When is the last time you saw him dictate a play without having to do all by himself? Please count the turnovers he's risponsible for in the o-zone and you'll find he's not very good. And please don't tell me he's a good passer! Skating well with the puck certainly doesn't mean you have great vision. Eller is clearly the worst center of the team at using his linemates.

He doesn't play like a center should play
You may not agree, but is it such a weak opinion? C'mon, the guy doesn't make his linemates better and he's using them badly.

...and I'm not even convinced he could learn to play as a winger.
We'll see but past tries tend to proove me right.

The guy doesn't know when to pass, and more often than not makes the bad decision in the offensive zone.
Sorry guys, but that's how I see the games. If I was wrong, the coaches would have promote him. Every coach want to win. The truth is, the coaches believes they have more chance to win giving more minutes to DD and Plek. If Eller had better vision, with his skillset, he would have produce more, plain and simple.

He's great on the PK
What's wrong here?

...but overall pretty average in the defensive side of the game.
Ok, I admit this one is highly debatable. But I'm not overly impress.

Bourque only played in 17 games! C'mon guys! What would be your argument here? Eller has only 4 goals while playing WAY better than last year! What's your argument?

Eller is flashy but nothing to write home about overall.
That's my take. You may not liking it, but until he produces, he's nothing more than that + a good PKer.

My bet is he's gonna be traded this summer.
That's just an impression. My guess is that Bergevin will thing that Habs would be better with DD + Plek + Galchenyuk as centrers + what Eller could bring in a trade. That,s it.

So tell me, how is my post so laughable?

Closed Thread