HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/4 5:30 pm:: Rusanowsky on 95.7

Old
04-04-2013, 04:47 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
4/4 5:30 pm:: Rusanowsky on 95.7

SanJoseSharks 2:10pm via Twitter for iPhone #Sharks radio play-by-play announcer @DanRusanowsky will be on @957thegame today at 5:30 pm talking Sharks hockey.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:26 PM
justinboo*

thanks

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:43 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

- Difference between start of season and now is that the team is playing with speed.
- Torres brings a "loose wire" that makes him unpredictable when playing vs. other teams. Dan compared that aspect to Shelley.
- Boyle's goal was "Orr-like." Brings back memories of ginger-who-shall-not-be-named's spin-o-rama vs. Montreal.
- Dan thought that the weight of trade expectations probably affected Boyle's game to a small degree, and definitely affected Clowe's game.
- The team has found success because it has finally dedicated itself to doing what the coaches have preached all year: play north-south hockey, work together.

Fairly short interview, actually. Back to studying then.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:48 PM
justinboo*

wow that was like a minute.. was hoping for more

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

@Hockeyball

The team has found success because it has finally dedicated itself to doing what the coaches have preached all year: play north-south hockey, work together.

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
pappaf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
@Hockeyball

The team has found success because it has finally dedicated itself to doing what the coaches have preached all year: play north-south hockey, work together.
I think that is BS personally.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaf2 View Post
I think that is BS personally.
So Dan is lying? This didn't come out of TMac's mouth.

Personally I trust Dan more than just about anyone that's associated with covering the Sharks.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:45 PM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

They've been preaching grind-it-out cycle hockey with a collapsing defensive style for the last 3+ years. Their play right now is so apparently different which is why I have a hard time believing that it wasn't a recent change.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
They've been preaching grind-it-out cycle hockey with a collapsing defensive style for the last 3+ years. Their play right now is so apparently different which is why I have a hard time believing that it wasn't a recent change.
It's the same way they were playing at the beginning of the year. Then they started getting beat on numerous breakaways per game as other teams got their **** together and the Sharks started playing to cover each others ass (our slowness getting back), started gripping their sticks too tight and it snowballed. Niemi can only save 3 or 4 2 on 1's a game for christs sake.

They've gotten that down to 1 or 2 a game even playing a more north south game. They still get trapped into the defense first game here and there.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:56 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

They are playing better because they aren't practicing. Coaches don't have the opportunity to taint them.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
It's the same way they were playing at the beginning of the year. Then they started getting beat on numerous breakaways per game as other teams got their **** together and the Sharks started playing to cover each others ass (our slowness getting back), started gripping their sticks too tight and it snowballed. Niemi can only save 3 or 4 2 on 1's a game for christs sake.

They've gotten that down to 1 or 2 a game even playing a more north south game. They still get trapped into the defense first game here and there.
Except they weren't playing transition hockey like that to start the year. They were still playing cycle hockey but with a red-hot first line and the other teams were too flatfooted and rusty to stop it. Either that or they scored on the power play, which is the opposite of transition play. Obviously the hot streak didn't last very long because it was all done by the first line, and when they got cold everything went to hell.

It wasn't breakaways that were beating them either during the cold streak, so I don't know where you're getting getting this idea. Their defense was fine, and the only real problem was the lack of scoring. Grind it out hockey is safe but low percentage, which is exactly why they couldn't score when that's all they did. The other team mostly scored on even strength from failed defensive reads or from even-strength transition with poor coverage. Score 2 goals against us during our cold streak and we were basically finished.

The transition game hasn't been a huge part of the Sharks offense for quite some time now. A good team needs a balance of everything, and if they know all the Sharks will do is grind it out, it makes it really easy to defend against them. It's no wonder why a number of posters think there is something fishy going on when people have been quoted saying "the transition game is what the coaches have been preaching all along."

Old
04-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Except they weren't playing transition hockey like that to start the year. They were still playing cycle hockey but with a red-hot first line and the other teams were too flatfooted and rusty to stop it. Either that or they scored on the power play, which is the opposite of transition play. Obviously the hot streak didn't last very long because it was all done by the first line, and when they got cold everything went to hell.

It wasn't breakaways that were beating them either during the cold streak, so I don't know where you're getting getting this idea. Their defense was fine, and the only real problem was the lack of scoring. Grind it out hockey is safe but low percentage, which is exactly why they couldn't score when that's all they did. The other team mostly scored on even strength from failed defensive reads or from even-strength transition with poor coverage. Score 2 goals against us during our cold streak and we were basically finished.

The transition game hasn't been a huge part of the Sharks offense for quite some time now. A good team needs a balance of everything, and if they know all the Sharks will do is grind it out, it makes it really easy to defend against them. It's no wonder why a number of posters think there is something fishy going on when people have been quoted saying "the transition game is what the coaches have been preaching all along."
The Sharks aren't playing any different than last year. They are just healthy and got rid of the slow pokes. This whole Tmac thing is crap. It was the players.

Breakaways were coming fast and furious and that's what changed their game. Whether they were getting scored on them or not. Once they start playing more prevent because they were scared little chickens it looked like they were playing that way on purpose to many here. It's BS.

I never panicked. I believed that the flu and other things were holding them back with a lot of back luck to go along with it.

They're still not the Hawks or the Pen's, but they're good enough that anything can happen now.

The transition needs players to execute it by the way and we've been lucky that Irwin came along and Murray is now gone.

I suppose the fact that the entire team looked like they couldn't make a pass for over a month and now they are doing tape to tapes is the coaching changes as well eh?

Old
04-04-2013, 11:19 PM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

I don't remember seeing the odd-man rushes or breakaways killing us during the cold streak. I honestly don't know where you're getting this from.

Our defensive was fine. It was our offense that was anemic. Also they are playing completely different than last year. Marleau had more transition and breakaway chances in the last two weeks than he had in the entire last year. Galiardi, Wingels, and even Desjardins even had their chances on the breakaway in the recent games. How many breakaways did the Sharks even have last year total? They didn't get any because they never pushed the play. Their breakout was shallow and their only offensive play was to grind. It's kind of hard to debate you though because you're arguing a point that I don't even think is true.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
I don't remember seeing the odd-man rushes or breakaways killing us during the cold streak. I honestly don't know where you're getting this from.

Our defensive was fine. It was our offense that was anemic. It's kind of hard to debate you though because you're arguing a point that I don't even think is true.
Well, you want to go back to the first five or seven games after our 7 game win streak to see how badly we were getting burned. Even on PP's FFS. Then they tightened up long term. I'm not saying that's the only reason they were playing that way, just that it happened and was a part of it.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:23 PM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

Like I said, I'm not seeing it. They've never played this way, or at least not for a long, long time.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:

Our defensive was fine. It was our offense that was anemic. Also they are playing completely different than last year. Marleau had more transition and breakaway chances in the last two weeks than he had in the entire last year. Galiardi, Wingels, and even Desjardins even had their chances on the breakaway in the recent games. How many breakaways did the Sharks even have last year total? They didn't get any because they never pushed the play. Their breakout was shallow and their only offensive play was to grind. It's kind of hard to debate you though because you're arguing a point that I don't even think is true.
Just because these things are happening doesn't mean that it's because we didn't want to do it before. It's because we have the talent and they are gelling. It's happening now "much more often" because they can actually execute it.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:34 PM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

If it was only this season then maybe I'd agree with you, but the transition game has been a lost cause for the Sharks for years now. It's not a recent trend or a sudden lull. It's been that way for a long time.

If the coaches have been preaching the transition and the players weren't responding for that long, then that's a bigger and entirely different problem altogether. It makes much more sense in every way if the strategy was a new addition to the offensive style. Occam's razor, you know?

Also to clarify, I'm not saying grinding is bad, just that doing it exclusively is. Playing only transition is bad too, because it tires you out and leads to a lot of goals against (I'm looking at you Philly). There needs to be a balance, and it just so happened that the Sharks were heavily tilted towards the cycle.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

And that whole Marleau thing? The one thing I've notice is that when he uses his speed now he's taking it deep instead of that stupid curl he was doing all last year. I don't recall if he was using it early this year, but that was driving me ****ing crazy.