HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

How to prevent GMs from mortgaging the future?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Monarchist

vCash: 500
How to prevent GMs from mortgaging the future?

How is it possible to have GMs do what's best for the team in the long term when they know they might not be around too long? How is it possible to prevent them from making desperate gambles to make the playoffs when they are in the last year of their contract?

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:55 PM
veedubn1

Fire them.

/thread

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
It starts at the ownership level. Look at what the Jets are doing. Nothing but long term trades/signings. It's usually ownership that pushes management to "win now".

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Ownership. You need an ownership that supports a 5 year type plan.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Don't hire an idiot GM.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:24 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
How is it possible to have GMs do what's best for the team in the long term when they know they might not be around too long? How is it possible to prevent them from making desperate gambles to make the playoffs when they are in the last year of their contract?
In the end it's ownership.

What Feaster did this year certainly wasn't to preserve his job. Ownership obviously told him to blow things up and he did.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:24 PM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Where's the fun in that?

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
DoubleDose86

There's also the fact that say the mortgage the future, and it fails, they end up fired. And so they get tried again somewhere else.

Well when it happens again, do you think other teams will give them a chance?

Meanwhile the GM's who get fired, but kept trying to work the best for the team, people look back and recognize them for their work

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I don't know, ask Jay Feaster.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:17 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Start by banning trade deadline

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:22 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I don't know, ask Jay Feaster.
Yeah.. Like that one time he mortgaged the future... That I can't recall...

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Halpysback

fire them while they're at the top of the hill.

Lombardi should have been fired last june, for example. Now he's doing panic moves like the Regehr, Ellerby and Loktionov trades to save his ass

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Dick Whitman

Also, owners generally approve all trades. If they don't like the direction the team is taking, they can do something about it.

With all the talk of confirmed no deals in that other thread, I wonder how many trades have been veto'ed by ownership in the past few years.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:45 AM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Yeah.. Like that one time he mortgaged the future... That I can't recall...
He wasn't adverse to doing it in Tampa;

Svitov (a 3rd overall pick) for Sydor
4th overall (Pitkanen) for Fedotenko
16th overall+ for Shane Obrien
31st overall (Markstrom) to reacquire Gratton

That half those trades were instrumental in winning the cup doesn't mean they don't fit the bill of mortgaging the future.

Also, letting him make draft picks was basically mortgaging the future as well...just in a more roundabout and self destructive manner.

As for the original topic, I think the NFL has solved this issue with the combination of a trade deadline in the first half of its season and non-guaranteed contracts. Other than the Herschel Walker trade and Ditka trading a whole draft for Ricky Williams nobody digs holes they can't get out of relatively quickly.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
He wasn't adverse to doing it in Tampa;

Svitov (a 3rd overall pick) for Sydor
4th overall (Pitkanen) for Fedotenko
16th overall+ for Shane Obrien
31st overall (Markstrom) to reacquire Gratton

That half those trades were instrumental in winning the cup doesn't mean they don't fit the bill of mortgaging the future.

Also, letting him make draft picks was basically mortgaging the future as well...just in a more roundabout and self destructive manner.

As for the original topic, I think the NFL has solved this issue with the combination of a trade deadline in the first half of its season and non-guaranteed contracts. Other than the Herschel Walker trade and Ditka trading a whole draft for Ricky Williams nobody digs holes they can't get out of relatively quickly.
That's the thing. If you "mortgage the future" and win a cup you're a genius. If you mess it up and don't you're an idiot. I'd suspect most owners understand they aren't hockey GMs and stay out of it for the most part, coughleonisisjagrcough, but I'd also suspect if the GM wants to trade certain players he needs ownership ok. The obvious examples being Ovechkin, Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos etc etc.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
lets just stop playing the game shall we?

The goal, ultimate goal for any team is to win the Stanley Cup. If you can win multiple cups while constructing your team, you do it. If the moves that you make allow you to win just ONE cup, then that's fine as well.

The goal for GM's is not to worry so much about the future. And by Future, I am talking 5+ years.

Most "future mortgaging" that goes on allows teams to retain a window of competitiveness of at least 2-3 years.

Lets let teams manage the way they want to manage. Stop trying to have each team run operations the same way.

I hope that what you insinuate NEVER happens.

the league would be so boring if teams never gambled on trying to do their ******* jobs.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:02 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

GM's making ridiculous trades to save their job? I honestly didn't think this was ever a problem. Is it??

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

The goal, ultimate goal for any team is to win the Stanley Cup. If you can win multiple cups while constructing your team, you do it. If the moves that you make allow you to win just ONE cup, then that's fine as well.

The goal for GM's is not to worry so much about the future. And by Future, I am talking 5+ years.

Most "future mortgaging" that goes on allows teams to retain a window of competitiveness of at least 2-3 years.

Lets let teams manage the way they want to manage. Stop trying to have each team run operations the same way.

the league would be so boring if teams never gambled on trying to do their ******* jobs.
Maybe that's the case for New York Rangers GM, but some others may have to rebuild from nothing and think 5+ years forward.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
That's the thing. If you "mortgage the future" and win a cup you're a genius. If you mess it up and don't you're an idiot. I'd suspect most owners understand they aren't hockey GMs and stay out of it for the most part, coughleonisisjagrcough, but I'd also suspect if the GM wants to trade certain players he needs ownership ok. The obvious examples being Ovechkin, Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos etc etc.
You really think Ruslan Fedotenko made a big difference to Tampa winning the cup? Yes, he scored the game winning goal, but did nothing else the other 20 or so games in the playoffs.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

the main way would probably be a system like in baseball, where teams cannot trade draft picks or recently drafted players (i forget how long they have to wait to trade a newly drafted player).

baseball fans complain about it all the time, but the limitation really does ensure that everyone has a pretty steady prospect pipeline. From a PA point of view, it makes free agents more valuable (and therefore raises their salaries).

04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Also, owners generally approve all trades. If they don't like the direction the team is taking, they can do something about it.

With all the talk of confirmed no deals in that other thread, I wonder how many trades have been veto'ed by ownership in the past few years.
I also wonder about deals that get forced by ownership on the GMs

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
colchar

Quote:

It isn't possible.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
In the end it's ownership.

What Feaster did this year certainly wasn't to preserve his job. Ownership obviously told him to blow things up and he did.
After they signed Wideman, Hudler, Cervenka etc.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:35 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Agreed

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Sarcastic

Write a petition to your local GM.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote