HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vanek (at the draft)

Old
04-04-2013, 11:59 PM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Thomas Vanek (at the draft)

What would you give up for him? He had some comments after the Pominville was traded that make some here in Buffalo think he might want out. I think the Sabres would be looking for a mix of draft picks or prospects. We have a seemingly solid #2 C in Hodgson, which leads me to believe Ennis will eventually shift to wing, making room for Grigorenko, Larsson or Girgensons will eventually take the #3 C spot, so finding a dynamic #1 center is the big thing, along with finding a young guy to become a top-pairing defenseman as well.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Djp

The expected price tag would be higher than what we got for Pominville.

IMHO---unless Buffalo is blown away by an offer they will probably hold off on any trade until September and see how contract negotiations are going. They want to re-sign him. If his price tag is too high then Buffalo will look to deal him.

Vanek does not have any trade clauses/lists/NMC.

i think at the draft Buffalo's focus will be more on trading Miller and/or Stafford.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:35 AM
SlugLife978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

IMHO---unless Buffalo is blown away by an offer they will probably hold off on any trade until September and see how contract negotiations are going. They want to re-sign him. If his price tag is too high then Buffalo will look to deal him.

i think at the draft Buffalo's focus will be more on trading Miller and/or Stafford.
It has nothing to do with his price tag. It's going to depend on if they can convince him to stay around for the rebuild or not. He'll get whatever money he wants from TPegs.

SlugLife978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:35 AM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

I agree with all you've said, but if he doesn't want to re-sign I think they should look at trading him before the season begins and not risk getting "rental value" for him, as opposed to getting true value in a deal. I'm just more gauging what other's would be interested in giving up for him.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Shoey
Hello.

I don't expect Vanek to want to stick around for the rebuild and I don't blame him in the least bit. He's probably my favorite active player, but I'm more than willing to let him go in the hopes of skewing younger and rebuilding by being beyond terrible once again next year.

I think a full year of Thomas Vanek is worth two 1st round picks and 2 top prospects at the very least, a lot more if he's dealt to a team that Vanek is willing to re-sign with.

Shoey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
So the equivalent of 4 first rounders+? Hmm... don't think any teams would bite.
His skill is elite, teams will pay dearly for that.

Pominville has 2/3 the pure skill Vanek has (if that) and look what he fetched yesterday. I think a team would pay that price for Vanek if they truly coveted him.

If Vanek was made available at the deadline THIS YEAR I think he would have commanded something even nuttier.

Shoey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
So the equivalent of 4 first rounders+? Hmm... don't think any teams would bite.
the oilers might

In all seriousness if Pom got what he got, 4 first rounders isnt that farfetched.

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:15 AM
nEaLB4ZoD

I hope he resigns in Buffalo but if negotiations over the summer for an extension are not going well, I have to think the New York Islanders would try and jump on this opportunity. Two first round picks and a top prospect would probably do it. The Tavares, Vanek, Moulson line would be one of the top 3 lines in the league and I think Vanek could approach 50 with Tavares.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Myers View Post
the oilers might

In all seriousness if Pom got what he got, 4 first rounders isnt that farfetched.
Pominville got what he got at 2 years left, at the trade deadline, at a 5.3 mil cap hit.

If you're trading him at the draft, with 1 year left, at a 7 mil cap hit, despite being the better player, expecting the equivalent of 4sts is way too much.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Tyler Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Pominville got what he got at 2 years left, at the trade deadline, at a 5.3 mil cap hit.

If you're trading him at the draft, with 1 year left, at a 7 mil cap hit, despite being the better player, expecting the equivalent of 4sts is way too much.
their contracts end in the same year... for a contending team who is either looking for rental or looking to resign him its actually better. the size of his caphit actually makes him more value in the offseason as their are more expiring contracts, i expect him to be traded after July 1st tho.

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:36 AM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I had a had time dealing with Pominville getting traded, I don't even want to fathom Vanek getting traded.

I hope they convince him to stay, lock him up for 5-6 more years at a cap hit of 7.25-7.5 and put the captaincy on his jersey.

This is my opinion and not many Sabres fans will agree with me, but a Sabres team without Vanek is no Sabres team at all.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

If we know that Vanek is absolutely not willing to be part of a re-build, we need to trade him while there's still a year on his contract.

The asking price would be a top 6 forward, a top defensive prospect, and a 1st. Either that or 2 top prospects and a 1st. Probably more.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Actually the price tag isnt that far apart in terms of salary if Buffalo waits until around November.

At a per game rate Pomers cost the Wild around $840,000 for this year + $5.3M for next year---or roughly $6.1M

If you hold off to trade Vanek until after game 11 of 13/14 his price tag {drum roll} $6.1M (full salary $7.1M).

I guess Buffalo could say we will eat $1M on his salary so the same cost as Pominville in terms of salary and make the trade at the draft/summer/september.

Yes buffalo would be willing to absorb some of the salary to actually get even more back.

Return I expect---in comparison to the Wild trade

It would 2 #1s + 2 of the top 4 prospects/under 25 players (Dumba + Granlund???)

Old
04-05-2013, 01:59 AM
mkoivu9*

Wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see him sign in MN when he's an FA for a lot of reasons.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I had a had time dealing with Pominville getting traded, I don't even want to fathom Vanek getting traded.

I hope they convince him to stay, lock him up for 5-6 more years at a cap hit of 7.25-7.5 and put the captaincy on his jersey.

This is my opinion and not many Sabres fans will agree with me, but a Sabres team without Vanek is no Sabres team at all.
I do not want to give Vanek an 8 yr contract. I would prefer to give him something around 5 yr/$32M that is front loaded ($8M, $8M, $7M, $4.5M, $4.5M). After 3 years we give him the option to request a trade to a list of 12 teams.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see him sign in MN when he's an FA for a lot of reasons.
if you also re-sign Pommers you will have well over 50% of the cap tied up in 5 players. i know capwise Vanek would be replacing Heatley.

Still that is a lot of cap absorbed which means you will be limited on getting any other players.

The other option is to wait and see if you could sign Vanek before resigning Pommers--then let him go if you get Vanek.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:34 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
I would already bet he does, and I usually don't bet at all

Buffalo should absolutely trade him, the earlier the better the return IMO

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:21 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Probably close to a Gaborik return plus a first rounder. Both streaky, 1 year left and a bit overpaid.

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:32 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
What would you give up for him? He had some comments after the Pominville was traded that make some here in Buffalo think he might want out. I think the Sabres would be looking for a mix of draft picks or prospects. We have a seemingly solid #2 C in Hodgson, which leads me to believe Ennis will eventually shift to wing, making room for Grigorenko, Larsson or Girgensons will eventually take the #3 C spot, so finding a dynamic #1 center is the big thing, along with finding a young guy to become a top-pairing defenseman as well.
Before the April 3rd trade deadline, Vanek made the comment that if the Sabres rebuild was only going to take 1 yr, he was interested in staying.

But, that if it was going to take 2,3 or 4 yrs, he wasn't.

I expected him to be dealt at the trade deadline for picks/prospects. Is the reason he wasn't dealt then because the Sabres want nhl players back, instead of picks/prospects for him?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
With Russo reporting that the Sabres retained approximately $900k in Pominville's cap hit for next season in order to maximize their trade return and alleviate Minnesota's cap crunch, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Pegula offers to eat some of Vanek's cap hit in order to maximize suitors and get the best possible return (in the event they do decide to move him). I could see Pegula eating $1m-$1.25m to make Vanek's cap hit more palatable for another team if it got Buffalo the best possible return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Before the April 3rd trade deadline, Vanek made the comment that if the Sabres rebuild was only going to take 1 yr, he was interested in staying.

But, that if it was going to take 2,3 or 4 yrs, he wasn't.

I expected him to be dealt at the trade deadline for picks/prospects. Is the reason he wasn't dealt then because the Sabres want nhl players back, instead of picks/prospects for him?
We won't know. It's still possible that he sticks around, though unlikely. I think the dynamic changes if they slap the "C" on him, but we'll see.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
I would already bet he does, and I usually don't bet at all

Buffalo should absolutely trade him, the earlier the better the return IMO
Perhaps, but I suppose it depends on how much the cap rises. Then again, they could trade Pominville next year and sign Vanek to a $6m per deal. I think Minnesota has to be careful. With all their good prospects, they're going to have some bigger deals coming down the pike--e.g., Brodin, Coyle, Granlund, et al.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:09 AM
hockeywoot

With only 1 year remaining.
Yeah he'd fetch ALOT.
Hopefully Regier will play his cards right.

Can the Pens make a push?
Do they have the cap flexibility?
.....DEAR GOD

hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:11 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I don't expect Vanek to want to stick around for the rebuild and I don't blame him in the least bit. He's probably my favorite active player, but I'm more than willing to let him go in the hopes of skewing younger and rebuilding by being beyond terrible once again next year.

I think a full year of Thomas Vanek is worth two 1st round picks and 2 top prospects at the very least, a lot more if he's dealt to a team that Vanek is willing to re-sign with.
Vanek is an elite player but does not warrant 2 1st round picks+2 top prospects. I would love to see what else you think may needed to be added.

Has a player other than Chris Pronger received that type of package since the lockout? Vanek is not Chris Pronger.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
slovakia18
English? I can't.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Give-V...48544035265643

vanek for captain and he stays in Buffalo.

no, i think its very hard for the sabres to hold him.
Many Teams can use him in PP.He is one of the best in PP in front of the net.thrilling week on that somer coming.

slovakia18 is offline   Reply With Quote