HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to CBJ for Brassard, Dorsett, Moore and 6th Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 01:54 PM
slightlystewpid420

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Dalton Smith is another potential Dorsett (or Boll) replacement. 110 PIM for Springfield this season. But he's rather limited in scoring potential.

If Dalton Prout remains in the line-up, then he's a heavyweight who can drop the gloves if needed. But if he's a top 4 defensemen, losing him for 5 minutes puts them at a disadvantage.
Unless Prout really steps it up I dont see him being a top 4 dman on the roster next year. Erixon and Murray are almost guaranteed top 4 time(hopefully) and then what do you do with Johnson, Tyutin and Wiz?

Old
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Unless Prout really steps it up I dont see him being a top 4 dman on the roster next year. Erixon and Murray are almost guaranteed top 4 time(hopefully) and then what do you do with Johnson, Tyutin and Wiz?
And Nikitin....

I much prefer this problem than the one where we are saying...who's going to play in the top 4 on D? We have 6 bottom pair guys....

We'll move one of the veteran 4 in the off season and may look to re-sign Aucoin for #7. Could also bring up Savard or Goloubef on a rotation. In my opinion, Murray starts the year in the AHL after not playing for 9 months....

Old
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
It depends on whether they want a more physical defenseman, which isn't Erixon or Murray. I can see Prout being in the mix for that reason, especially against certain teams when a more physical presence is needed.

Prout is also a righty, while Erixon, Murray, Johnson and Tyutin are all lefties (so was Moore).

It seems like part of the roster overhaul is adding more size and toughness. Prout has that over Moore (and Erixon). Dorsett has toughness but not size, but can be upgraded with the bigger, more skilled Jenner next season (without the fighting).

Old
04-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
I hate that people are slated Murray in the top-four, let alone in the NHL. He's coming off a shoulder injury in the juniors. With our Defensive depth, he should start in the AHL.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
And Nikitin....

I much prefer this problem than the one where we are saying...who's going to play in the top 4 on D? We have 6 bottom pair guys....

We'll move one of the veteran 4 in the off season and may look to re-sign Aucoin for #7. Could also bring up Savard or Goloubef on a rotation. In my opinion, Murray starts the year in the AHL after not playing for 9 months....
I see NikNik being traded unless he seriously picks up his game.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:40 PM
NikC

If Gaborik can find his ability again, you’ll find yourself with as pure a sniper as there is in the game. The Gaborik that first arrived in NY had an incredibly accurate wrist shot with shifty deceptive speed and acceleration. He was able to play this game under Tortorela’s system, so I don’t buy into the logic that some fellow ranger fans hold, that it was Tortorellas fault for his slump.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that he’s not the most robust physical specimen. Throughout his career he’s on again off again, health-wise. The early part was groin (which was likely fixed) the latter has been shoulder issues. The lack of shooting, and surprisingly the unwillingness to skate hard had me question if he is truly healthy? Again, if he find himself, you get a 40g sniper, every other year. If not, sadly you won’t notice he’s in your lineup if he’s not scoring. No middle ground.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
CBJFan19*

i guess im in the minority but i love this deal we have alot of above average guys in the system with a chance to get a few more but no true superstars and now we traded a bust, a scrappy little guy and one of our defense guys from our loaded defense system for a superstar guy

Old
04-04-2013, 04:27 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I hate that people are slated Murray in the top-four, let alone in the NHL. He's coming off a shoulder injury in the juniors. With our Defensive depth, he should start in the AHL.
Absolutely. He has to make up for lost time. It's going to take him a while to prove he's ready and tough enough for the NHL. I see him in Springy next year.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
What's funny is I was probably thinking a completely different player than you. First thing that came to mind, for me, was Zherdev.
What's sad is we could probably field a whole lineup of guys like that.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
Absolutely. He has to make up for lost time. It's going to take him a while to prove he's ready and tough enough for the NHL. I see him in Springy next year.
At least to start.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
As a Ranger fan I never expected Gaborik to have grit or play defense. I always saw him as an offensive force when he wants to be. Goal scoring, breakaways and mostly just creating offense by himself. Everything you could ask of from a sniper. And I honestly feel he has never had a really good center in his prime in his career that fits his style. So hopefully you guys have that guy, otherwise I think he would be better. He gets nicked up quite a lot and despite that still scores.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
He would have played in the NHL this year, if not for the lockout. It truly depends on how he heals, if he comes to camp in shape, then he will almost certainly make the team right out of camp. Just because he was injured in junior, does not mean he wasn't/isn't NHL ready.

I think a stint in the AHL to clear the rust may not be a bad thing, but training camp and NHL preseason may be enough to get that done.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:21 PM
slightlystewpid420

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
He would have played in the NHL this year, if not for the lockout. It truly depends on how he heals, if he comes to camp in shape, then he will almost certainly make the team right out of camp. Just because he was injured in junior, does not mean he wasn't/isn't NHL ready.

I think a stint in the AHL to clear the rust may not be a bad thing, but training camp and NHL preseason may be enough to get that done.
Exactly. He was touted as more nhl ready than yakupov and galchenyuk..and hes already skating again. Hes around the team to get a feel for how everything goes through a season and to get to know everybody. Hell the kid has his own stall in the locker room...what does that say?

He has all summer to rehab and get into shape, i would be shell shocked to see him in anything but a jackets sweater from the beginning of October onward.

Last edited by slightlystewpid420: 04-04-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
Gaborik is a pure scorer. Let him loose and score. He will then have found a home here

Old
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Just make sure your coach doesn't senselessly bash Gabby in the media and expect him to play like Ryan Callahan type. He'll be fine. It's ****ing sad that it had to come to him being traded, but Der Fuhrer Torts aka Captain Blood had to have him go. It's Keenan/Gartner all over again.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
pld459666

Glad he scored and I'm glad you won. Hope all parties involved in the trade keep up the production.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
major major

This deal made us a better team. We didn't lose a player who was helping us by much, and we got a first line scorer.

Where I don't like it, is in terms of asset management. Those were expendable pieces on our depth chart, but valuable trade assets nonetheless. And we could have either reached for a younger scorer, or acquired Gaborik in the summer for probably half the price. The fact we did it, it's obvious the whole organization is all in for the playoff run.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:13 PM
EDM

Gabby should be feeling at home after his first game and two points.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Hugg

Quote:
"I am pleasantly surprised with the speed of the team," Gaborik said. "The young guys and small forwards were flying. We were supporting each other out there, and everyone contributed. (Sergei) Bobrovsky was tremendous making save after save, so he kept us in there."
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400443022

Old
04-05-2013, 12:57 AM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If Brassard is on the third line , he'll be playing out of his ability. He is not capable of playing a checking role and is below average in the faceoff circle. This is exactly why he was expendable. He 's a tweener--not good enough offensively to be a top 6 forward and not good enough defensively to play on a checking line.
I'm from Columbus. I grew up around hockey and in a hockey family. I've watched the Bluejackets for years, so I know what Brassard is capable of. He's not going to be asked to play a checking role on the third line in New York. He will likely see around the same amount of ice time on our third line and PP that he saw a night in Columbus. If he can produce about on par with his last two seasons in Columbus we will be more than happy to have him.

You apparently think there is no place for a guy like Brassard in the NHL. You have to remember that Columbus hasn't exactly been a beacon of decent hockey, well, ever. A lot of people on this board during the Nash trade saga were claiming that Nash was a much better player than his stats indicated and was dragged down by the pure awfulness that was the Jackets roster over the years. Why couldn't the same be true of Brassard, except on a smaller scale? Barring injury or significant improvement on Brassard's part he won't be seeing an opponent's top defensive pair aside from on the power play.

He isn't some savior for the Rangers but he most assuredly is not the "scrub" some people on this board have described him as.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:01 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
I'm from Columbus. I grew up around hockey and in a hockey family. I've watched the Bluejackets for years, so I know what Brassard is capable of. He's not going to be asked to play a checking role on the third line in New York. He will likely see around the same amount of ice time on our third line and PP that he saw a night in Columbus. If he can produce about on par with his last two seasons in Columbus we will be more than happy to have him.

You apparently think there is no place for a guy like Brassard in the NHL. You have to remember that Columbus hasn't exactly been a beacon of decent hockey, well, ever. A lot of people on this board during the Nash trade saga were claiming that Nash was a much better player than his stats indicated and was dragged down by the pure awfulness that was the Jackets roster over the years. Why couldn't the same be true of Brassard, except on a smaller scale? Barring injury or significant improvement on Brassard's part he won't be seeing an opponent's top defensive pair aside from on the power play.

He isn't some savior for the Rangers but he most assuredly is not the "scrub" some people on this board have described him as.
Uh, Ranger fans would say Nash was overrated, overpaid, and wouldn't trade anything of sorts for him unless it was an undersell. I agree, Brass won't play out of his abilities and he's unfairly bashed in this board, but it's been that way here for at least a season and probably more. Not to mention he just got traded so that adds fuel to the fire.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:02 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Pleasantly surprised by our small forwards flying around? It seems Gabby likes having Cam and Calvert on his team. Who wouldn't.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:03 AM
CBJFan19*

Quote:

yes he is, in 6 years for the #6 overall pick to only hit over 40 points twice and a career -42 is pretty downright bad

Old
04-05-2013, 01:23 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUBlueJacket View Post
yes he is, in 6 years for the #6 overall pick to only hit over 40 points twice and a career -42 is pretty downright bad
(1) A player's draft position is irrelevant when discussing whether a player can play in the NHL, or whether such a player is a "scrub".

(2)Please research.

Here are the 10 6th overall picks take from 1997 to 2006:

Daniel Tkaczuk
Rico Fata
Brian Finley
Scott Hartnell
Mikko Koivu
Scottie Upshall
Milan Michalek
Al Montoya
Gilbert Brule
Derrick Brassard

Brassard looks to be the 4th best player of the bunch.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:31 AM
major major

Quote:

I think most of us here think Brassard can do more elsewhere. He's not a scrub, but he wasn't going to do much for the Jackets either. So good for him to move on. Seems like a near-consensus.

I do agree with you that Brassard can still play a good role for the Rangers even if he isn't on a scoring line (IMO, however, he can produce at a second line pace, he only needs a little improvement to get there.) If you have him on the third line, it's more scoring for that line, though Torts won't be able to use him in a shutdown capacity, which means Stepan and his linemates get harder minutes. But my understanding was that Boyle wasn't doing a great job in that role either, so no loss there.

Closed Thread