HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Marian Gaborik!!!

Old
04-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
It's called the Hawthorne Effect.

Gaborik will go on his usual hot streak, then disappear like a ghost for a month or so. That's how it was with him. CBJ fans will learn that soon enough.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:13 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I still remember the day I found out we signed Gabby.

It was the morning of July 1st or 2nd (whichever it was) and I was having a bowl of cereal and watching NHL Network before I took off for work, as was my normal ritual... when I read on the ticker at the bottom of the screen that we had signed him. I had rallied all offseason that we should sign the guy, I've been in love with his game for a very long time.

I drove to work that day with a smile as wide as the English Channel and got absolutely nothing done at work as I was surfing HF all day laughing at Devils and Isles fans saying how we signed a glass man to a huge contract and how he would be an overpaid nobody. I certainly had the last laugh that season.

While Gabby is certainly a flawed player, he is, or at least was, one of the most explosive players to ever lace up a pair of skates. The guy was exciting. He gave me a favorite player to cheer for again, which I hadn't had since Jagr.

He was, bar none, my favorite player on the team from the first day he suited up as a Ranger to the last. I wish him nothing but success in Columbus and I hope he absolutely lights up the stat sheet year in, year out... just not against the Rangers.

I'll always cherish the signed puck, the Gaborik Ranger tees, and the #10 team Slovakia Olympic jersey in my closet, Marian. Veľa šťastia!

Adam Tensta's from the 163

Last edited by PromNite: 04-05-2013 at 12:23 AM.
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:24 AM
NYRSchrute217

Some of you guys need to get a grip. I was as pissed off as anyone but who cries over a guy who has been here for all of four years leaving?

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:41 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Love the guy, one of the top 5 RWs in the league when he's healthy. He showed some balls taking that beating from Carcillo too, still did not forgive Girardi for that, those moments can turn out to be real killers for a team's morale. Glad we got Clowe, Dorsett, and Asham, along with Bickel for depth, and the Undertaker coming in soon. We're now a top 5 tough team in the East again!!

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:50 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Some of you guys need to get a grip. I was as pissed off as anyone but who cries over a guy who has been here for all of four years leaving?
I certainly didn't cry, but don't cast judgement on people who are upset seeing their favorite player leave their favorite team. Especially in a designated "Thank you" thread.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because he was an extremely liked player who scored a lot of goals on a team that doesn't score often? Also, I'm assuming most here are being a bit hyperbolic (myself included) to drive the point that we are upset he's gone.

04-05-2013, 01:06 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm legit upset that he is not a Ranger anymore. My girlfriend had to console me, no joke. Even my brother and roommate who are not fanatical hockey fans like I am texted me while I was at work along the lines of "Sorry to hear about your boy Gabby, dude."

I now don't have favorite player on this team. It's not a huge deal, it's been that way before, but our teams usually suck ass when that's the case. Think "Nik Zherdev is our best player" era.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:21 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I certainly didn't cry, but don't cast judgement on people who are upset seeing their favorite player leave their favorite team. Especially in a designated "Thank you" thread.
I loved Gaborik, but I just think grown men crying because of someone who hasn't been here very long leaving is taking it too far. Not my place to judge, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Because he was an extremely liked player who scored a lot of goals on a team that doesn't score often? Also, I'm assuming most here are being a bit hyperbolic (myself included) to drive the point that we are upset he's gone.
Agreed, I'm upset too. I just think crying is going a little far.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
I loved Gaborik, but I just think grown men crying because of someone who hasn't been here very long leaving is taking it too far. Not my place to judge, though.

I didn't shed tears but I had myself one of those super melo-dramatic, introspective stare into the distance moments lol.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:23 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
I'm not being hyperbolic. I'm legit upset that he is not a Ranger anymore. My girlfriend had to console me, no joke. Even my brother and roommate who are not fanatical hockey fans like I am texted me while I was at work along the lines of "Sorry to hear about your boy Gabby, dude."

I now don't have favorite player on this team. It's not a huge deal, it's been that way before, but our teams usually suck ass when that's the case. Think "Nik Zherdev is our best player" era.
I can understand being upset, but to that degree? For Gaborik? How about Jagr, were you also as upset?

I can understand someone like Leetch who was traded from the Rangers, Messier lacing them up for the last time, Richter being forced into retirement due to concussion problems, players who spent over a decade wearing that blue.

Those guys, I felt like ****. With Gaborik? ..Bummer but c'est la vie.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I didn't shed tears but I had myself one of those super melo-dramatic, introspective stare into the distance moments lol.
ditto.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Quote:

Your opposition to crying has been noted.

Now we should go back to praising one of the best forwards to ever play for this team.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:31 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

If I actually cried in the middle of a history lecture I'd think less of myself as a human being...

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:38 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
I can understand being upset, but to that degree? For Gaborik? How about Jagr, were you also as upset?

I can understand someone like Leetch who was traded from the Rangers, Messier lacing them up for the last time, Richter being forced into retirement due to concussion problems, players who spent over a decade wearing that blue.

Those guys, I felt like ****. With Gaborik? ..Bummer but c'est la vie.
I was upset that Jagr was not re-signed. But not to this degree. I expected it... I knew the Rangers were moving away from Jagr and there was going to be a new captain.

This was my favorite player who took a ton of **** from some guys on this site who was without question the best free agent signing since God-knows-when getting traded unexpectedly. I figured he might not be with the team after this season, as he would be dangled at the draft for a first round pick, plus.

But we pick up CBJ's expendable assets, no first rounder, and my dude Gabby is wearing a different jersey.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:42 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Also, you mention Richter, Mess, and Leetch. I will forever love those guys, but it's time to separate from the '94 team a tad. We might never have a collection of players we had then. I'm so tired of hearing about those guys... and I have a poster in my room with all of them.

I felt like Gabby could have been a part of a winner. People who complain that Gartner could have stayed on the team and we still would have won the Cup (there are a lot) should be on board with Gabby staying on the team.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:49 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Your opposition to crying has been noted.

Now we should go back to praising one of the best forwards to ever play for this team.
I think you might be going a little overboard now. He's arguably not even top-10.

Gilbert, Ratelle, Bathgate, Messier, Graves, and Hadfield all immediately come to mind and were significantly better Ranger forwards. Jagr was better in his recent but brief tenure here too.

Gabby was great, did his job here (for the most part). But he's not someone I'm losing sleep over or going to be telling my kids about like how my dad talks about the GAG line.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:02 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
I think you might be going a little overboard now. He's arguably not even top-10.

Gilbert, Ratelle, Bathgate, Messier, Graves, and Hadfield all immediately come to mind and were significantly better Ranger forwards. Jagr was better in his recent but brief tenure here too.

Gabby was great, did his job here (for the most part). But he's not someone I'm losing sleep over or going to be telling my kids about like how my dad talks about the GAG line.
As has been pointed out... he is one of 3 players to score 40 goals twice for this team. One was before my time (Ratelle), the other I only slightly remember (Gartner). Gaborik, despite what anyone wants to believe, was a big deal for this team.

Edit: Maybe I should have said goal-scoring forwards

Last edited by PromNite: 04-05-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 02:07 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Especially with Glen's history of UFA signings. I know his game wasn't right up everyone's alley, but seriously. Gabby was a layup that Glen managed to not miss.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
We need to forget about the '94 team? Come on, those guys are who a lot of us watched growing up. That Cup win is the only one any of us have seen. Those are special moments and special players. We need to stop drawing comparisons to the current team and players though.

As far as Gabby goes, meh. I don't get emotionally attached to players as much as I used to, Leetch getting traded nearly killed me but I was a teenager then.

I like Gabby and I think he'll have a resurgence in Columbus, but he never felt like a Ranger to me. Just never really enjoyed his game, a really good scorer but minimal flair I guess. Nash was my favorite non Ranger so now that he's here Gabby never had a chance of winning my heart.

I wish him the best and thank him for the 40g seasons and his effort in the PO's last season with one arm, serious respect for him there. But life goes on for everyone and he still makes 7.5m a year playing a game I'd play for free so I can't feel sorry for him.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:15 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Also, you mention Richter, Mess, and Leetch. I will forever love those guys, but it's time to separate from the '94 team a tad. We might never have a collection of players we had then. I'm so tired of hearing about those guys... and I have a poster in my room with all of them.

I felt like Gabby could have been a part of a winner. People who complain that Gartner could have stayed on the team and we still would have won the Cup (there are a lot) should be on board with Gabby staying on the team.
Those guys will forever be etched into both Ranger history and the history of NYC sports in general for not only bringing the cup but for also dedicating so many years to play for NYC. Those guys warranted sad faces when they called it quits, or in Leetch's case, when he was traded.

Gaborik?! I do find if funny that you're sad over Gaborik but felt not as upset with Jagr. Jagr outperformed our highly prized off-season acquisitions then, and the reason he wasn't getting resigned was because our GM almost locked-up $15 million between Drury and Gomez. When we couldn't resign him, there was a contingency that actually said "good riddance," and we all know what the product on the ice was after that.

I'm sorry, Gartner still hustled and put up points for the Rangers before being traded.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:27 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
As has been pointed out... he is one of 3 players to score 40 goals twice for this team. One was before my time (Ratelle), the other I only slightly remember (Gartner). Gaborik, despite what anyone wants to believe, was a big deal for this team.

Edit: Maybe I should have said goal-scoring forwards
He was a big deal for this team...from 2009-2012. In the annals of Ranger history? Not so much. I really respect what he did for us. 40 goals is a big deal, you're right. But he's not an all-time guy, not by a long shot. Gartner, IMO, has more Ranger "prestige" and he's nowhere near "Ranger great" territory for me.

I just find it funny how people become so attached to a guy who's played 3.5 seasons for us, with 1.5 of them being pretty damn average.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Vitto79

Clb is in the east next yr, wow will that turn into a rivalry quick

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:57 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
We need to forget about the '94 team? Come on, those guys are who a lot of us watched growing up. That Cup win is the only one any of us have seen. Those are special moments and special players. We need to stop drawing comparisons to the current team and players though.

As far as Gabby goes, meh. I don't get emotionally attached to players as much as I used to, Leetch getting traded nearly killed me but I was a teenager then.

I like Gabby and I think he'll have a resurgence in Columbus, but he never felt like a Ranger to me. Just never really enjoyed his game, a really good scorer but minimal flair I guess. Nash was my favorite non Ranger so now that he's here Gabby never had a chance of winning my heart.

I wish him the best and thank him for the 40g seasons and his effort in the PO's last season with one arm, serious respect for him there. But life goes on for everyone and he still makes 7.5m a year playing a game I'd play for free so I can't feel sorry for him.
I never said we should forget about the '94 team. I just hate how any time a player's worth to the team is brought up, it is compared to Mess, Richter, Graves, or Leetch. The current year is 2013, guys. How long until those names become pathetic reaches to the past? IMO, it has already happened. Let's start cultivating some names we can be proud of right now. I think Gabby could have been part of that group.

Also, you just said that Gabby had no chance of winning your heart, so I don't know why you're raining on the parade of people posting in a "Thank you Gabby" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Those guys will forever be etched into both Ranger history and the history of NYC sports in general for not only bringing the cup but for also dedicating so many years to play for NYC. Those guys warranted sad faces when they called it quits, or in Leetch's case, when he was traded.

Gaborik?! I do find if funny that you're sad over Gaborik but felt not as upset with Jagr. Jagr outperformed our highly prized off-season acquisitions then, and the reason he wasn't getting resigned was because our GM almost locked-up $15 million between Drury and Gomez. When we couldn't resign him, there was a contingency that actually said "good riddance," and we all know what the product on the ice was after that.

I'm sorry, Gartner still hustled and put up points for the Rangers before being traded.
Jagr was my previous favorite player. But it was never more clear that the team was moving away from a Jagr-run team to a more North American system. This team was never run by Gaborik. He did nothing but abide by the coach and put up solid numbers.

Jagr ran that 2005 team and beyond. That is why it was easier for me to digest the loss of Jagr than Gabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
He was a big deal for this team...from 2009-2012. In the annals of Ranger history? Not so much. I really respect what he did for us. 40 goals is a big deal, you're right. But he's not an all-time guy, not by a long shot. Gartner, IMO, has more Ranger "prestige" and he's nowhere near "Ranger great" territory for me.

I just find it funny how people become so attached to a guy who's played 3.5 seasons for us, with 1.5 of them being pretty damn average.
It's because people have different tastes. I remember a prominent poster around here insisting that Enver Lisin was an incredible talent and the coach was just misusing him.

Anywho, I'm gonna leave this alone for now. I don't wanna argue with anyone as we are all Ranger fans. I was "attached" to Gaborik before he played a single game for NY. His play in the big city vindicated anyone who called him a glassman or a washed up dude looking for a payday. Best UFA signing by Glen in forever.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:00 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
I never said we should forget about the '94 team. I just hate how any time a player's worth to the team is brought up, it is compared to Mess, Richter, Graves, or Leetch. The current year is 2013, guys. How long until those names become pathetic reaches to the past? IMO, it has already happened. Let's start cultivating some names we can be proud of right now. I think Gabby could have been part of that group.

Also, you just said that Gabby had no chance of winning your heart, so I don't know why you're raining on the parade of people posting in a "Thank you Gabby" thread.

Jagr was my previous favorite player. But it was never more clear that the team was moving away from a Jagr-run team to a more North American system. This team was never run by Gaborik. He did nothing but abide by the coach and put up solid numbers.

Jagr ran that 2005 team and beyond. That is why it was easier for me to digest the loss of Jagr than Gabby.

It's because people have different tastes. I remember a prominent poster around here insisting that Enver Lisin was an incredible talent and the coach was just misusing him.

Anywho, I'm gonna leave this alone for now. I don't wanna argue with anyone as we are all Ranger fans. I was "attached" to Gaborik before he played a single game for NY. His play in the big city vindicated anyone who called him a glassman or a washed up dude looking for a payday. Best UFA signing by Glen in forever.
That I do agree with, for sure. He wasn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Bring Back Avery

I always liked Gaborik ever since he first came here. He's a great sniper and always seemed very humble and soft spoken. Plus, i like the way they say his name in the EA NHL games...Marian Gaaaaborik!

Bring Back Avery is offline   Reply With Quote