Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 10:35 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
Was very impressed with MacDonald when Vanderwiel was chirping the ref's and MacDonald told him to shut up. You can see the respect the players have for MacDonald, Vanderwiel didn't say a word after that.
Good kid, good captain from what Ive seen. A friend of mine worked with him a bit in the summer. Really liked his work ethic. He made some big strides physically heading into the year. Set a good example for his teammates and really got himself ready to compete, heading into the season.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Good kid, good captain from what Ive seen. A friend of mine worked with him a bit in the summer. Really liked his work ethic. He made some big strides physically heading into the year. Set a good example for his teammates and really got himself ready to compete, heading into the season.
When MacDonald was named captain at the beginning of the season, Vellucci specifically mentioned Colin's work ethic and locker room presence as reasons for his selection. He came to the team as a late round OHL Draft pick and worked his way into the starting lineup and eventually to captain. While MacDonald's name doesn't show up a lot in the score sheet, he plays solidly in the defensive end. It's always nice to see guys develop like this. He will be missed next season.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

While the opponent is still unknown, the Whalers first two games of the 2nd round will be in Plymouth on Friday, April 5th at 7:05 pm and Sunday, April 7th at 4 pm.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:53 PM
WhalerBlue

Round 2 versus Kitchener or possibly Owen Sound. Owen Sound clinches and it is them. Soo clinches and it is Kitchener

Old
03-31-2013, 03:31 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
I got a good feeling we'll be facing Owen Sound. No offense to the Soo (who I liked watching play and who beat the Whalers 4 of 5 games this season), it seems real difficult to come back and win 2 in a row in this league. The Greyhounds do have the home advantage today which appears to be big. I bet that will be a barn burner, wish I could see it! Either way I can't help but look up the stats and refresh my knowledge of any possible adversary.

Games went 2-2 against the Attack this season, I only saw 1 game. From that though I like our chances if it is to happen. Owen Sound are a big, strong team but are that much less quick and skilled than the Whalers IMO. They have improved since I saw them but so have we. They must know the only way to win against the Whales is to outwork, outhustle, outman us. I am sure Plymouth will be ready for the challenge and willing to play even more physical.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Owen Sound it is.

This is going to be a long, tough series. The Attack have a lot of size, and I expect it to get physical. OS goalie Binnington is solid, so young Nedeljkovic will have to be up to the task to match him. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go seven games.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Owen Sound it is.

This is going to be a long, tough series. The Attack have a lot of size, and I expect it to get physical. OS goalie Binnington is solid, so young Nedeljkovic will have to be up to the task to match him. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go seven games.
If this series goes 7 it will not be good for the Whalers. I predict 5. Perfect time to find out if the best defensive combinations in the West can stop the Whalers.

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 04-01-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
If this series goes 7 it will not be good fot the Whalers. I predict 5. Perfect time to find out if the best defensive combinations in the West can stop the Whalers.
I agree with the 5 game prediction. Binnington will win one game for OS. Plymouth has too much depth. Will be a much closer series then Sarnia.

Old
04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
If this series goes 7 it will not be good for the Whalers. I predict 5. Perfect time to find out if the best defensive combinations in the West can stop the Whalers.
I really hope you are right regarding 5 games, but I am a little more apprehensive after last season's 2nd round. Anyway, if it goes 7 games, I will not be happy for another reason -- we will not be able to attend that game due to a conflict. So, come on Whalers, win it in 6 or fewer!

Old
04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
defensehockey19

What does next season look like for the whalers? You guys are losing quite a bit it seems will they look to rebuild? Move guys like Mahalak, Wilson and Payne?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
What does next season look like for the whalers? You guys are losing quite a bit it seems will they look to rebuild? Move guys like Mahalak, Wilson and Payne?
We will lose 10 guys. 3 OA's and 7 1993 birthdates. It will be interesting.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
WhalerBlue

Also to let everyone know ahead of time. The arena will not be sold out unless something crazy happens tomorrow. I expect it to look like game 1 1st round.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
We will lose 10 guys. 3 OA's and 7 1993 birthdates. It will be interesting.
Do you think some of your top end 94's will be sold off? Strt the rebuild around Mistele and Nedjoklivic(sp)

Old
04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I doubt that Mahalak will garner much interest in a trade as a OA, but the Whalers will probably try to get what they can, because they have too many candidates for the three OA spots and I do not see him being ready to move on to the next level. It does not seem to be in Vellucci's nature to sell off players, though, so I would be surprised to see him deal Wilson or Payne. MV did not trade Seguin from a fairly weak team, as an example. Wilson may not be back, anyway, depending on whether Washington goes into a rebuild mode next season and keeps him in the NHL.

The defense will be returning Carrick, Curcuruto, Jones, and Peters -- plus Malysa is a likely OA. Along with Nedeljkovic in goal, they should be in good shape defensively.

Offensively, the team will still have some talent, but not nearly as much as this year. Wilson (if returned), Payne, Mistele, Vanderweil, Hartman, Whaley (likely OA) and Lorentz (likely OA) would give them two decent lines. Sills will also become a regular, and there is a small possibility of Uvira returning as an OA import if the team doesn't fill all the OA and import roster spots.

Definitely not a title contender, but should be a playoff team.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Also to let everyone know ahead of time. The arena will not be sold out unless something crazy happens tomorrow. I expect it to look like game 1 1st round.
Since it's Opening Day for the Tigers and Easter break with a lot of people on vacation, that is what I would expect. Hopefully Sunday afternoon will be a bigger crowd. I'm not sure what to expect then, as the team rarely plays at home on Sunday, and never in the late afternoon.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:41 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Since it's Opening Day for the Tigers and Easter break with a lot of people on vacation, that is what I would expect. Hopefully Sunday afternoon will be a bigger crowd. I'm not sure what to expect then, as the team rarely plays at home on Sunday, and never in the late afternoon.
Don't expect Sunday to be any better. Tigers at home. Red Wings at home. Michigan fans recovering from our big win over Syracuse.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:29 PM
attackfan71

Quote:
Don't expect Sunday to be any better. Tigers at home. Red Wings at home. Michigan fans recovering from our big win over Syracuse.
attack fan here just thought i would say good luck to all you plymouth fans. this will be a long series and a war. the best offensive team against the best deffensive team. and i might add the toughest team in the ohl again this year. im not going to make a prediction as to who will win this series. but i do expect it to go at least 6 games and will say that whoever comes out of this series will be in need of a second wind. it will be a battle

Old
04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackfan71 View Post
attack fan here just thought i would say good luck to all you plymouth fans. this will be a long series and a war. the best offensive team against the best deffensive team. and i might add the toughest team in the ohl again this year. im not going to make a prediction as to who will win this series. but i do expect it to go at least 6 games and will say that whoever comes out of this series will be in need of a second wind. it will be a battle
Good luck to the Attack fans, too. I expect a close, hard fought series. The teams split their four games during the season. The bright spot for Plymouth is they won the last two games vs. OS after the Whalers caught fire in the 2nd half of the season, so hopefully that is a good omen for the home team.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
I will make a prediction, Plymouth in 5.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Terrific game tonight. Uvira had his best game as a Whaler, scoring two highlight reel goals. Binnington played great in net for Owen Sound. Plymouth finally was able to get a puck past him early in the third period, and then Uvira took over with two hard charging goals, showing a little more speed than we are used to seeing. Ned was solid in net for the Whalers, with the only Attack goal coming from a defensive breakdown. Even the officiating was decent -- much better than the Sarnia series.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

One other observation from last night's game... the crowd was surprisingly larger than expected (just under 3,000). There were lots of people wearing Detroit Tigers stuff, so maybe a lot of folks decided to come after enjoying the Opening Day festivities downtown.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
....do expect it to go at least 6 games and will say that whoever comes out of this series will be in need of a second wind. it will be a battle
The Whalers are shutting it down defensively, and I seriously doubt Owen Sound can match up with the offensive depth. I'll be surprised if OS wins more than one game. Prediction: 4-0 sweep for the Whalers. In spite of how good their PK has been, Plymouth is getting smarter about taking penalities. The only hope OS has is to get some consistently bad officiating. That might happen once, but not three games out of the next three.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:20 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Donkey View Post
The Whalers are shutting it down defensively, and I seriously doubt Owen Sound can match up with the offensive depth. I'll be surprised if OS wins more than one game. Prediction: 4-0 sweep for the Whalers. In spite of how good their PK has been, Plymouth is getting smarter about taking penalities. The only hope OS has is to get some consistently bad officiating. That might happen once, but not three games out of the next three.
4-0 sweep is pretty bold. Last game was much closer than the shots or goals indicate. Plymouth was down a goal for 2 periods and Ned played VERY well in net. I look at OS roster and each player stands out on ice, they have quite a team. From warmups on I'd say they both are so equally skilled, similar in many ways, it's going to come down to who wants it more. Great series matchup!

Interesting note about the penalties, that has been an annoyance this season for the Whalers but Friday night 3-7 in their favor, didn't realize OS took so many penalties, it hurt them big time.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Interesting note about the penalties, that has been an annoyance this season for the Whalers but Friday night 3-7 in their favor, didn't realize OS took so many penalties, it hurt them big time.
The double minor for high sticking at the end of the 2nd period by OS was the turning point of the game. Meurs scored on the ensuing PP to start the 3rd to tie the game, and the Whalers were off and running. Reading the Attack head coach's comments after the game, he was quite upset with his team's lack of discipline.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
The double minor for high sticking at the end of the 2nd period by OS was the turning point of the game. Meurs scored on the ensuing PP to start the 3rd to tie the game, and the Whalers were off and running. Reading the Attack head coach's comments after the game, he was quite upset with his team's lack of discipline.
I thought Owen Sound played pretty good. Especially Binnington. They capitalized on a Levi mistake and went up 1-0 in the 1st. Plymouth controlled the play and threw alot at the net. Why it wasn't 3-1 or more after the 2nd was Binnington and some good defense at key times. I think Coach Ireland made more out of a couple of penalties than he should have. Go all season racking up the PIM's like free pizza coupons and then come playoff time complain about it. Get real. Stuff happens. So Owen Sound fans that didn't see the game, take it from me-you guys played a pretty good game.

Closed Thread