HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Vanek (at the draft)

Old
04-05-2013, 07:30 AM
umwoz

vCash: 500
Slightly overpaid, elite skillset, but disappears for stretches at a time.

I think it would be hard for them to turn down a 1st + Top Prospect + Young Roster Player

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:43 AM
veedubn1

I think what the Rangers got for Gaborik is a far more comparable return for Vanek than what the Sabres got for Poms.

If I was a GM with a hard-on for Vanek, I'd wait until he was a FA to go after him if Darcy was holding out for another deal like he got for Poms.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Just remember everyone said buffalo would never get what they wanted of Pominville and Darth got more.

If Regier trades Vanek you had better believe its going to be for a ton. Kings ransom. That's just how he operates.

An teams were sniffing around Vanek already.... Teams want him..

The return for Vanek is going to be extraordinary....

.... Until the Miller trade.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
With a bare FA market, Vanek or Miller will be the biggest splash in the off-season for any team. Teams that fall short in the playoffs or teams that just miss will pay a HUGE sum to convince fans they are going for it. As a Sabres fan, I can't wait for this draft. It has the potential to change everything.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
stokes84

Do any playoff teams have non-playoff teams 1st rounders?

Old
04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
kasper11

He will not get anywhere near what Pominville got for two reasons:

1) Prices are inflated at the deadline when teams panic and have fewer options available
2) Pominville will be with the Wild for 2 playoff runs whereas Vanek will only be with a team for 1 season

That makes Vanek at the draft a less valuable addition than Pominville at the deadline.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
WestleySnipez
Christmas came early

He's a pure sniper. Look at teams in need of scoring, can't see them trading him to ANYONE in the East, unless the offer was to good to turn down (Amazing Prospect, 1st Round Draft +)

I think he moves to the west like Pomms did. Value though? Given the season he's had so far, I can see teams trading a 1st Rounder, Top Prospect for him.

I could only really see him going to Nashville, Phoenix, MAYBE Edmonton.
All the other teams in the West either have no cap space, no/limited ice time for him to play, or are rebuilding.

In the East, I see Ottawa and NY Rangers wanting him. But the likelihood of a trade between the Rangers and Sabres is slim.

Nashville: 1st Round Pick 2013/2014 and Filip Forsberg(Maybe thats why they brought him on?! lol).
In the defensive minded system of the Preds, scoring 25-30 goals would really help them out.

Phoenix: David Rundblad/Brandon Gormley and 2 2nds 2013 and 14
Would give Buffalo almost a surefire 2nd defenseman to play with Myers, Vanek replacing Vrbata/Hanzel on the 1st line wouldn't be bad. I think he could score 25 goals with those two. If they landed a half decent center, possibly 30.

Ottawa: Matt Puempel, 1st 2013, 3rd 2014
With Conacher in now, I think Puempel is tradeable(correct me if I'm wrong Ottawa fans) the 1st is a must for rebuilding Buffalo, 3rd for incentive. Vanek would be well worth it though, a sniper with more skill than Michalek, would help out on the PP. Michalek could play with Turris, giving the Sens a little more depth.

WestleySnipez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
1) Prices are inflated at the deadline when teams panic and have fewer options available

That makes Vanek at the draft a less valuable addition than Pominville at the deadline.
This was why I was surprised he wasn't moved at the trade deadline, in a buyers market.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
stokes84

Look at what Jordan Staal got last year. Vanek will be far more coveted, and there will be a bidding war because he won't have a single team that he demands to go to like Staal with Carolina.

Don't underestimate how a bare FA market will drive his price up.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Look at what Jordan Staal got last year. Vanek will be far more coveted, and there will be a bidding war because he won't have a single team that he demands to go to like Staal with Carolina.

Don't underestimate how a bare FA market will drive his price up.
A Staal extension was in the bag for Carolina, though. I could see a huge return if Vanek indicates a willingness to sign an extension with the acquiring team. Otherwise, I don't see us getting a top-10 pick + solid prospect defenseman + excellent 3C.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:58 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
A Staal extension was in the bag for Carolina, though. I could see a huge return if Vanek indicates a willingness to sign an extension with the acquiring team. Otherwise, I don't see us getting a top-10 pick + solid prospect defenseman + excellent 3C.
Even with the FA market having nobody? Teams want to make a splash and he will be the biggest name available in all likelihood. I think the market for him would be bigger than in other years.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
wej20

Quote:
Even with the FA market having nobody? Teams want to make a splash and he will be the biggest name available in all likelihood. I think the market for him would be bigger than in other years.
True but Staal's 24, he's got close to 10 years left playing as a top 6 forward barring injury.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
clumping platelets

To WPG for Bogosian, Burmistrov, and draft pick

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
I don't think they'd part with Bogo straight up for Vanek given their respective ages. I wonder if they'd do Little + Burmistrov + 2013 1st for Vanek if they thought they could extend him.

If Little is superfluous to us, we can flip him to another team for a different asset.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
I hope the pick is a late rounder, because thats fair overpayment if not.

Vanek will fetch a mid first rounder and a solid prospect+A good roster player

Something like 1ST From Winnipeg+Burmistrov and say X roster player second line tweener, second pairing tweener.

Forsberg+1st+Ellis would be amazing from Nashville IMO. For both teams.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
boots electric

Important thing to remember about Vanek: he has no NMC/NTC. He can be traded anywhere, and it is reasonable to assume that whoever wants to trade for him will try to blow him away with a long-term offer.

There's only one team we know to have inquired about Vanek at the deadline, and that's Philadelphia. Perhaps their interest is renewed over the summer? What Homer is willing to offer...I have no idea, nor does anyone else.

Teams in need of an elite scorer that could potentially offer a 1st round pick this year:

Columbus - Not sure what they could offer up as far as prospects/NHLers are concerned after the Gaborik trade, but they do have three 1st round picks.

Dallas - I would argue that their scoring depth is the absolute worst in the league. Vanek would be a huge "get" for that franchise. Whether or not he might tempt them to give up their 1st...

Nashville - Does the Forsberg acquisition make this years' 1st expendable? They've needed elite offensive talent for about a decade, and Vanek is potentially the only guy available for the next full season at least.

Anyone else?

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
5 Minute Major

One thing is almost a certain.....it will be to a western conference team.

When is the last time Regier traded a good player to an eastern conference team?

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:04 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Don't forget the cap dropping. You are going to have a lot of the usual spenders (NYR, Bos, Chi, Phi, etc) on the sidelines this year, or those teams are going to buy out some useful players (Richards, Briere) that will make the free agent market better.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
Important thing to remember about Vanek: he has no NMC/NTC. He can be traded anywhere, and it is reasonable to assume that whoever wants to trade for him will try to blow him away with a long-term offer.

There's only one team we know to have inquired about Vanek at the deadline, and that's Philadelphia. Perhaps their interest is renewed over the summer? What Homer is willing to offer...I have no idea, nor does anyone else.

Teams in need of an elite scorer that could potentially offer a 1st round pick this year:

Columbus - Not sure what they could offer up as far as prospects/NHLers are concerned after the Gaborik trade, but they do have three 1st round picks.

Dallas - I would argue that their scoring depth is the absolute worst in the league. Vanek would be a huge "get" for that franchise. Whether or not he might tempt them to give up their 1st...

Nashville - Does the Forsberg acquisition make this years' 1st expendable? They've needed elite offensive talent for about a decade, and Vanek is potentially the only guy available for the next full season at least.

Anyone else?
Cbj will not trade for him. Ditto for Dallas, they're in rebuild mode.

Nashville I could see them doing it.

Philly would offer something around Couturier and a 1st and I think it would be in the best interest of both franchise.

Ultimately, if I was GM of both team I'd like something like this

Regier : I want Couturier back, A first, a roster player(Winger/Dman/Goalie)+Other pick if the player is not super good.

Holmgren
Vanek+One of the C prospects (Larsson, Armia, Girgenson.)

Old
04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Cbj will not trade for him. Ditto for Dallas, they're in rebuild mode.

Nashville I could see them doing it.

Philly would offer something around Couturier and a 1st and I think it would be in the best interest of both franchise.

Ultimately, if I was GM of both team I'd like something like this

Regier : I want Couturier back, A first, a roster player(Winger/Dman/Goalie)+Other pick if the player is not super good.

Holmgren
Vanek+One of the C prospects (Larsson, Armia, Girgenson.)
When has Armia ever been a center?

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
When has Armia ever been a center?
He played C in his draft year if I remember correctly. I think he played all three positions over his career so far.
But I don't see him making it at C in the NHL since he's used as a RW right now...

Old
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
True but Staal's 24, he's got close to 10 years left playing as a top 6 forward barring injury.
Staals scored 50 points once. Vaneks career low is 48 (rookie year and was getting 14 mins a game) and he averages 68 points a season along with 35 goals.7 straight 25+ goal seasons makes Vanek an elite goal scorer. He will bring back a lot.

If Vanek is dealt (I hope he isn't but there's a chance he will be) you can bet anything Regier will get a massive return for Vanek. Think Mike Richards type return. Elite prospect + good young top 9 winger/top 4 dman and a 1st round pick. If that isn't matched then I re-sign Vanek and be content having a top 10 goal scorer for the next 6 years.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:50 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Slightly overpaid, elite skillset, but disappears for stretches at a time.

I think it would be hard for them to turn down a 1st + Top Prospect + Young Roster Player
1. Not anymore, more so market value at this point.
2. Yes, elite skillset.
3. Absolutely he disappears, his biggest flaw.

Vanek will bring Buffalo something big, but I hope they tell him the rebuild won't be long and they make him captain.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Vanek is an elite player but does not warrant 2 1st round picks+2 top prospects. I would love to see what else you think may needed to be added.

Has a player other than Chris Pronger received that type of package since the lockout? Vanek is not Chris Pronger.
how often do players the caliber of Vanek even hit the trade market?

let me be clear: I don't want to trade the Sabres' best player unless it's a silly overpayment. I have a feeling Regier feels the same way, they're going to do everything they can to try to convince Vanek to stay before any of this becomes a reality.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
His skill is elite, teams will pay dearly for that.
Not for one season of it. He's a UFA.

He'll get somewhere between what Kovy got and what Richards got: an excellent but not quite bluechip prospect, a quality young roster player, and a 1st. Maybe another good piece.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote