HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NAS/WAS] Martin Erat and Michael Latta for Filip Forsberg

Old
04-04-2013, 03:34 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
Godspeed, Mr. Erat

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I agree. Erat should rebound and put up 50ish as long as his back and health hold up.
He's on pace for 47 in 82 games now. So not that bad.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
MFarrer74
Laich it, Orlov it

Everyone can debate on who "won" the trade, but in reality no one really knows...No one knows if Forsberg will pan out and no one knows if Erat will help the Caps at LW.....this is a wait and see trade but apparently people can't decipher that.

MFarrer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:56 PM
novon04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOld View Post
This article from LeBrun was pretty interesting: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...for-preds-caps
Quote:
And yes, perhaps GM George McPhee could have gotten more had he waited until the summer to shop Forsberg fully to the league. You see, I believe the Caps were going to trade Forsberg at some point no matter what, internally souring on the prospect, a player they no longer viewed as a top center in the making.

Scouts Iíve spoken with have mixed opinions. Some still view him as a top center in the making, at least a No. 2, but others are concerned by his foot speed. The latter is what concerned Washington.
Really, they've soured on a 18 year old player they drafted 9 months ago? If FF was a ~month younger he would be in the 2013 draft. Maybe they started souring when they found out that he was a winger and not a center.. Forsberg is looking just like he did last year, except improved in almost all aspects of his game. Had the Capitals even scouted him before the draft?

novon04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Velo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFarrer74 View Post
Everyone can debate on who "won" the trade, but in reality no one really knows...No one knows if Forsberg will pan out and no one knows if Erat will help the Caps at LW.....this is a wait and see trade but apparently people can't decipher that.
Don't forget Latta - much more than just a throw in. Ironic if several years from now he turned out to be the better NHL'er than Forsberg.

Velo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:03 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

Sounds like LeBrun is talking out of his ass, considering Forsberg is not a center, and GMGM spoke not so long ago about taking him over for a testdrive. Didn't sound like they were souring with him, and his development has gone very well this year.

The only problem is that Forsberg is a RW and they don't need an RW since they now have Ovechkin and Brouwer there. Erat fits in perfectly on LW.

His Beardliness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Nope. The Preds have superior scouting. I trust them on Forsberg.
Ah ok. I was going to say that the Preds have pretty good Euro-scouts. I'm not sure if they are more trustworthy than what Washington has, because I'm not familiar with what Washington has to be honest.

04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
Sounds like LeBrun is talking out of his ass, considering Forsberg is not a center, and GMGM spoke not so long ago about taking him over for a testdrive. Didn't sound like they were souring with him, and his development has gone very well this year.

The only problem is that Forsberg is a RW and they don't need an RW since they now have Ovechkin and Brouwer there. Erat fits in perfectly on LW.
The Capitals website would either refer to Forsberg as a "forward" or "center" when discussing him.
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637864
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637153
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635995
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635780

They organization also refers to Kuznetsov as a center.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
He's on pace for 47 in 82 games now. So not that bad.
This I promise is not sour grapes from me, honestly. His point total does not reflect his play this year. I don't know how many of his assist were secondary but he has not been good this season.

I agree, 21 points isn't that bad, heck, it's as much as Weber, but the most telling is the 4 goals, which ties him with Rick Clune.

Erat gets top powerplay time and top es time.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
LSnow

Quote:
This I promise is not sour grapes from me, honestly. His point total does not reflect his play this year. I don't know how many of his assist were secondary but he has not been good this season.

I agree, 21 points isn't that bad, heck, it's as much as Weber, but the most telling is the 4 goals, which ties him with Rick Clune.

This is why i don't like the pick-up. I watch a lot of Preds and think he is great player, but his quality of icetime is going to come down.

If he is ~50 p player in Preds, he likely will be 30-40p player on Caps. Much rather would have made offer for Filppula which got 54EV P ( lead Detroit ) last season and is younger.

LSnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

Can't discount that he wanted out, that his offence was probably somewhat stifled in Nashville......hopefully he's rejuvenated by the more open style of the Caps.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
I said this on our board and I will repeat it here. The best part of this deal for the Preds may be the unintended consequence of forcing Poile to make a move this summer for a scoring forward.

Had we squeaked into the playoffs or at least looked reasonably competitive, with the apparent emergence of Wilson Bourque and Beck, Pile might very well have gone into the summer with a "tweak" mindset and not added anyone of consequence on the forward side

Now, he has a gaping hole on the first line that pretty much has to be filled with an acquisition this summer.

If the upshot of all of this is that Poile replaces Erat with a younger, better forward, either via trade or free agency, then its a win for the Preds even if Forsberg isnt a stud

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Can't discount that he wanted out, that his offence was probably somewhat stifled in Nashville......hopefully he's rejuvenated by the more open style of the Caps.
Somewhat, I agree, but look at the list of wingers that have come here and excelled, SK, Kariya, Sullivan, Dumont, Hornqvist were not at all held back by BT's system, so I don't know why Erat would be held back by the system, it's not restrictive on wingers. It also has not effected the young guys like Wilson, Bourque or Beck. And Erat did get quality ice time so that part didn't hold him back either. Now his quality of line-mates, Mike Fisher and SK, might have played a part, can't argue that point.

Having said all that, I fully expect him to perform better for Washington for atleast the rest of this season as he should be re-energized and motivated. It was time for a change for both him and the team.

Old
04-04-2013, 08:56 PM
truefan8993

Polie just said in an interview that Forsberg will be in the United States next week and will practice with the Preds and could potentially be in the lineup.

truefan8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:01 PM
braindead

Poile also said that they had FF 5th on the pred's draft board last year. Also noted the confusion over his position.... Said he would start at RW but could perhaps end up as center someday

Last edited by braindead: 04-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:21 PM
maplepred

I think he should play in ahl this season when he gets here. Just to get used to ice surfaces and pro game. Why rush him?

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I think he should play in ahl this season when he gets here. Just to get used to ice surfaces and pro game. Why rush him?
im thinking if plays in the AHL he burns a year on the ELC but if he plays less than 6 games with Nashville he doesnt. by next week it will likely be obvious the Preds are out of the running and so he could play the last 5 games of the season as a "freebie"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOld View Post
This article from LeBrun was pretty interesting: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...for-preds-caps
What a strange quote. Who cares what Forsberg's value might have been in the off-season? At the time of the trade the Capitals:

- Were two points out of the 3rd seed in the conference behind a faltering division leader in Winnipeg

- After a horrible 2-8-1 start, the team was starting to get the gist of a new coach's system

- The Ovechkin of old was back, on a nine-game point-streak with 15 points

- The Backstrom of old was back with 13 points over his past nine games

- Mike Green was back with 6 points in 7 games after returning from injury, over which time the Caps were 5-1-1

All trends pointing in the right direction. A #3 seed in the playoffs meaning that they get the #6 seed in the 1st-round, have a good shot at getting to the 2nd-round, and the way the standings are right now they wouldn't even face Boston or Pittsburgh in that round either!

Forsberg's a right-hand shot, whether he plays right wing or center, the Caps have most of that covered for the next few years with Backstrom-Ovechkin, now Erat and Kuznetsov in the pipeline. They also get a nose-to-the-grindstone character player in Latta, and every team needs to have one or two guys like that in the line-up that are a pain in the ass to play against.

Prospects are great and Forsberg could turn out to be a fine NHLer, but meanwhile, teams are trying to win that big silver thing and go on deep playoff runs to finance the effort............

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Seriously do you think the Caps have a shot at the cup with Hillen in your top 4?

I just don't see enough defense on that team to get by round one if they even make it.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:44 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Seriously do you think the Caps have a shot at the cup with Hillen in your top 4?

I just don't see enough defense on that team to get by round one if they even make it.
Hillen is in the Caps top 4? Since when?

*edit*

He was tonight. lol

Erskine is in only his 2nd game back after injury. That's his spot.

No one gave the Caps a chance in hell versus the Bruins last year in round 1, and expected the Caps to get whooped by the Rags. Bruins got beat and the Rags escaped. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Last edited by WetHog: 04-04-2013 at 10:51 PM.
WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
im thinking if plays in the AHL he burns a year on the ELC but if he plays less than 6 games with Nashville he doesnt. by next week it will likely be obvious the Preds are out of the running and so he could play the last 5 games of the season as a "freebie"
He can sign an ATO with Milwaukee to play in the AHL without using a year of his ELC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Hillen is in the Caps top 4? Since when?
For basically the past month. And having Erskine in your top 4 is not exactly a playoff defense, either. The Caps sorely need another top 4 LD, and it's obvious to everyone buy McPhee.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I'm really excited to see Forsberg progress. Yeah I have heard that some people haven't liked what they've seen, but I do.

He has the talent. That's for sure.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:05 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
He can sign an ATO with Milwaukee to play in the AHL without using a year of his ELC.

For basically the past month. And having Erskine in your top 4 is not exactly a playoff defense, either. The Caps sorely need another top 4 LD, and it's obvious to everyone buy McPhee.
It's OK. Nashville is known as a defense-first club, and we need a top 4 D as well. Of course, we are in slightly worse shape than Washington I would say

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

2012-13 Mora Allsvenskan 31 10-24-34 -2

What a bum

Anze Kopitar

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
fedfed