HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Luongo Post TDD Press Conference

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Haha - I was listening to it too. I've just been basking in the atmosphere out here since yesterday and relishing in all the anxiety of the Canucks' fanbase and the dipdonkey media. Reading the stuff on the Canucks' board has been such a great laugh too, it's just so great to see this happening, so deserving for that fanbase and particularly those here who were so militant and obnoxious about this all along and now they've just turned inward and are spewing "Leafs this, Leafs that" - it's gold, I hope it continues longer.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...691/story.html

This is great to read too, I'm SO hoping they buy him out in the summer. Will add to it very nicely
Jason Botchford of the Province/TEAM1040 is good for such a laugh.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...625/story.html

Quote:
The Canucks put on a big push to move him in the final hour, making several calls to the Toronto Maple Leafs. But every time they called, the Leafs changed what they were willing to give up for him. One time it was nothing but a prospect. On the next call, it was only a player. Then it was just draft picks.

In the end, the Canucks asked for backup goalie Ben Scrivens and two second-round draft picks. Toronto still said no. That offer leaked out hours later.

As if Luongo’s pride hasn’t taken enough of a hit.

It leaves you wondering how serious the Leafs were, and if a lot of their alleged interest in Luongo was really a put on or a long con. If it was, and they were sure to always keep the dialogue going, that’s quite the emotional mudslide they dragged Luongo through.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
ThirdRowGreens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
I was at the gym sitting in the Sauna a few months ago and I had a conversation with a guy who knows Luongo personally (he works for an autograph company).. He said that Luongo says he already has over 50 mills stashed in his bank account and the money is a non-issue for him

Luongo also told him that he really wanted to go to Florida but that was in the summer
He must have made some pretty amazing investments and not spent a dime, ever - he's barely made $50M over his entire career (before taxes)

Old
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdRowGreens View Post
He must have made some pretty amazing investments and not spent a dime, ever - he's barely made $50M over his entire career (before taxes)
He has other sources of income, trust me.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

I can't wait for them to trade their best goalie in the prime of his career because of a mistake the very same GM that has to trade him made. Unbelievable enjoyment.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Canuck fans' synopsis:

Nonis is an idiot because he didn't take the ridiculous, moronic contract that bigger idiot Gillis gave Luongo. Am I close?
Thats pretty much it. Very rational and sensical view.

Old
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
The Wall

I imagine this was Gillis' reaction when Nonis hung up on him the third time.

Old
04-04-2013, 03:36 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Hard to think of it as a cash grab but I guess it is...

Old
04-04-2013, 04:14 PM
daveleaf

Listening to Nuck fans is like listening to the drunk at the end of the bar trying to make sense of anything after soaking through a bottle of Bourbon.

Gillis fits in well with them.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Listening to Nuck fans is like listening to the drunk at the end of the bar trying to make sense of anything after soaking through a bottle of Bourbon.

Gillis fits in well with them.
They seem to be in absolute denial that anyone would turn down a trade like that for Luongo. It's humorous to see.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

Apparently its Nonis' job to fix Gillis' mistakes. Guess he didn't get the memo.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Now they're saying Vancouver sources are claiming it was Gillis who turned down that deal from Nonis.

Sure it was. Was that the first, second or third time you called in that final 45 minutes, Mike?

Highly doubtful, but if so, he is an even bigger idiot than I thought.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
They seem to be in absolute denial that anyone would turn down a trade like that for Luongo. It's humorous to see.
Honestly. I can't wait until they loose in the forst round of the playoffs so they can go away for awhile.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Canuck fans are serious idiots. Too dense.

No point in arguing anything.

You know what? I hope that Nonis did drag them along. These guys are probably the biggest conspiracy theorist believers.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:29 PM
daveleaf

You have to honestly wonder about them and their ownership. They fire Nonis and then go after Gillis who has zero experience, just a slime ball agent. Then they pull their starter in the playoffs after then team sucked. The Sedins were getting knocked all over the ice and all they would do is get up and look at the refs. Grow some ****! Then they loose a couple of one goal games and they bench their starter they just gave a ridiculous contract to for an unproven goalie and drag him through the mud all summer and this year.

What a joke of a franchise. I mean, they are coming close to the Hal Pal days. I wonder if their owner will make Gillis wear a bag over his head to the games.

Feel bad for Lou-what a joke of a franchise he plays for.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:38 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
He has other sources of income, trust me.
Forget about it

Old
04-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Honestly. I can't wait until they loose in the forst round of the playoffs so they can go away for awhile.
I am almost certain Gillis will be losing his job if they are eliminated in the first round. I'd put money on it.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:55 PM
CanadianLov3

Come on guys, you know better than to try to have a conversation with canuck fans... they are the worst fans in the league. Its pointless.

I hope Lou lands a better organization in the summer. Always liked him despite being a canuck.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Now they're saying Vancouver sources are claiming it was Gillis who turned down that deal from Nonis.

Sure it was. Was that the first, second or third time you called in that final 45 minutes, Mike?

Yeah, I really doubt that.

However, if I were Nonis, on the third phone call (right before the deadline), I would have counter-offered with "we'll give you a 5th round pick for Luongo. That's our final offer."

For that contract, that would be all Vancouver should expect to get back.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:29 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
What is worse? These Van fans or those Leaf fans who were pushing to get him here. No need to let them off the hook.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
What is worse? These Van fans or those Leaf fans who were pushing to get him here. No need to let them off the hook.
i think some Leaf fans didn't grasp the contract problems and were just blinded by the player. i cut them some slack and just let it go.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
i think some Leaf fans didn't grasp the contract problems and were just blinded by the player. i cut them some slack and just let it go.
But ... but ... thats no fun. Seriously though. Some were very very "heavy" on their running commentary and deserve ... shall we say .... recognition.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
But ... but ... thats no fun. Seriously though. Some were very very "heavy" on their running commentary and deserve ... shall we say .... recognition.
YOu may be in the same boat if the Leafs do end up trading for him this summer if Reimer doesn't perform well in the playoffs. If Luongo plays until he's 38-40, the buyout at that point isn't that bad.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. And in Leaf Land, we all live in glass houses.

Remember - we watch hockey for fun, not to take a dump on others' opinions.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

He may have turned down a counter in which the Canucks retained salary.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Jason Botchford of the Province/TEAM1040 is good for such a laugh.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...625/story.html
LMFAO so basically they're blaming us for giving him an untradeable contract. My God are they insecure. I don't know who this Botchford guy is but he should look at his own team's GM and start questioning how serious Gillis was about moving him. It's not Nonis' job to do Gillis' job as well and help him out and him out of a mess he created. Another question wtf has Gillis really done in Vancouver other than reap the rewards of a core that was already there when he got the job. The guy has a ton of arrogance for a man who represents a team that has won jack squat.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
YOu may be in the same boat if the Leafs do end up trading for him this summer if Reimer doesn't perform well in the playoffs. If Luongo plays until he's 38-40, the buyout at that point isn't that bad.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. And in Leaf Land, we all live in glass houses.

Remember - we watch hockey for fun, not to take a dump on others' opinions.

From time to time, we all seem to "deserve" recognition. And not only because we live in a "Leaf" glass house. I am willing to deal with it when I make a faux pas ... and I have.

Some of the Luongo fans were pretty heavy handed in "selling" him to the rest of us. So boo hoo for them. Next time they can take a more enlightened approach.

And I find it quite funny you call what I do "dumping on them" while what you are doing is a "continued discussion" ... I am sure.

Closed Thread