HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund (4/16: Assigned to Houston... now recalled on emergency basis)

Old
04-05-2013, 09:17 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
What Yeo should do is

Parise Koivu Pompom

Gralund Coyle Seto

Cal Brodz Mitchell

Rupp Konopka Stoner/falk/intel

This way Coyle who is 6'03 and 200lbs can play center, he is hard to knock down and is strong as a ****ing ox, plays a koivu like game and would be A FANTASTIC guy to groom as a center. He has size, skating, board work hands and a shot, MiG on the other hand can play wing, he can shoot and set up seto and what not, not have to worry about going into the corners (mind you he gets mauled way easier then Coyle, most people bounce off coyle, I can't help but notice the similarity in Coyle to Koivu)

I get he was highly touted to be a center, but QUIT trying to force a square peg down a round hole. If you want to try him there next year fine, this year put Coyle ther and start grooming him as a center you ****ing need. He's got all the tools to get a great 2nd line center who can bloom to a 1st line center in 5 years for us.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Doobz89

Wow what game were you guys watching. Granlund was absolutely terrible, falling all over, errant passes, and out of position. And people saying butch had a bad game, come on...

Doobz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:36 AM
57special

vCash: 335
The trouble with playing Granlund at wing is that he loses puck battles along the boards. At least playing center he has more open ice available to skate in.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:01 AM
nickschultzfan

The Kings were crushing everybody last night, not just Granlund. They played fast, were physical, and broke up play after play.

Brodziak, Bouchard, and Clutterbuck have been terrible this season. I would honestly drop them to the 4th line or pressbox them, bring up Zucker, and............I can't believe I'm going to say this........pray that Cullen comes back soon.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
Wow what game were you guys watching. Granlund was absolutely terrible, falling all over, errant passes, and out of position. And people saying butch had a bad game, come on...
He fell down once along the boards and had one or two bad passes. He was more invisible than anything.

Coyle was good though.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, all three of those players have been bad more games than they have been good. Huge disappointment. Unfortunately Wild went in on Brodziak but we still have time to cut loose from the other two this summer.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
nickschultzfan

Brodziak got better and better since he came to the Wild, and last season he was a monster. So it was understandable.

But he doesn't win the puck battles like he used to, which was his best trait. He used to be the master of leverage, and now he's not even getting into position to use that leverage.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The Kings were crushing everybody last night, not just Granlund. They played fast, were physical, and broke up play after play.

Brodziak, Bouchard, and Clutterbuck have been terrible this season. I would honestly drop them to the 4th line or pressbox them, bring up Zucker, and............I can't believe I'm going to say this........pray that Cullen comes back soon.
Those types of teams always seem to give the Wild trouble. The Wild are not very fast and not very physical.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Sportserie

^ You're right.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
Last night is a difficult game to judge him on because 85% of the team should be sent down to the AHL (if that was an option) based on last night's game.
This is close to how I'm feeling as well. Seto doesn't seem to know which way's up without Cullen, Brodziak had no idea what he was doing, etc. Granlund didn't really stand out to me in any way last night.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Sheng Peng
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
This is close to how I'm feeling as well. Seto doesn't seem to know which way's up without Cullen, Brodziak had no idea what he was doing, etc. Granlund didn't really stand out to me in any way last night.
Brodziak has played much better in March; I wonder if he was just out of shape from the lockout? Overall, I think the forwards are okay and will be okay, just going through a rough patch. Setoguchi going into a mini-slump, with or without Cullen, isn't surprising as that's his career pattern.

The defense, on the hand, is certainly connected with the struggles of the forwards, and that doesn't look like it's going to get a lot better soon.

Sheng Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Strangely, I see posters describing the Wild as "not very fast," but whenever I listen to opposing team's broadcasters, they always describe us as fast.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We've also been described as strong defensively for four years after Lemaire left.

I think we've seen from Cullen's good play how much of a difference a quality second line center makes. When he played well and was healthy, Wild were a playoff team. When he was struggling or hurt, Wild have been bad.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:41 AM
ijk

The Finnish media told me that Granlund had a "superpass" in last nights game. I checked it on TSN. ok. It was an assist.

How did he play otherwise?

ijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:54 AM
TwInS1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk View Post
The Finnish media told me that Granlund had a "superpass" in last nights game. I checked it on TSN. ok. It was an assist.

That was a pretty damn incredible assist.

Aside from that...he's shown, in my opinion, visible improvement from earlier in the season. Guy is winning battles, playing pretty strong defensively, and even getting multiple takeaways.

Offensively he still hasn't shown a consistent presence, but he definitely doesn't look out of place at the NHL level--just, at this point, probably not a top 6 center. Borderline, and I think with the right line mates he would be able to play an average to above average 2nd center at this point. If he played with Seto/Coyle or Zucker/Coyle on a consistent basis I think you would see a lot more offense out of him. In my opinion he hasn't really been put with optimal line mates to succeed offensively. So, what my point is, he's a rookie, who's undersized, trying to adapt to playing in a different style of game, all while playing with line mates who put him in a position to somewhat fail offensively...so I think he is doing an admirable job of playing a safer, responsible game, limiting mistakes and trying to exploit the opposing teams mistakes.

Overall, he's doing his job as a rookie. With the flashes he's showing, and the game he's showing I am not worried at all about him being a really good player 2-3 years down the road.

That's my take. He's showing consistent progress, which is all you can ask for from a rookie.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:31 AM
ijk

Thanks for the response /\

I watched the assist from a better video, and yeah I must admit, it was a laser. Maybe I'm still disappointed that I saw those kinds of plays almost on a nightly basis when he played in Finland, and didn't think too much about it. But good to hear that he's improving in all the important facets of the game.

Problem is he will be once again be put up and then shot down by the Finnish media, which thankfully is not Granny's problem anymore since he doesn't live in Finland. But it's something that annoys the heck out of me, like media generally does.

ijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:45 AM
hirawl
Used Register

Quote:

Played perhaps overly responsible game at 2C/3C. Very conservative. And that's not exactly his strongest point so...not saying he's bad defensively, but y'know. Well knowing he should be looked as an offensively creative powerhouse, he's done ok in his given role(s).

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:46 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Quote:
Thanks for the response /\

I watched the assist from a better video, and yeah I must admit, it was a laser. Maybe I'm still disappointed that I saw those kinds of plays almost on a nightly basis when he played in Finland, and didn't think too much about it. But good to hear that he's improving in all the important facets of the game.

Problem is he will be once again be put up and then shot down by the Finnish media, which thankfully is not Granny's problem anymore since he doesn't live in Finland. But it's something that annoys the heck out of me, like media generally does.
Exactly, I've just been waiting on those assists from him. With all his game sense and puck skills I'm suprised there hasn't been more.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Sportserie

I've watched that assist about five times now on replay. It was picture perfect. I doubt every player in the NHL can go there. Granlund was spectatular there and after Coyle scores, if you watch his reaction... he instantly looks at Granlund like, "How did you just do that?!"

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
grN1g

i think granny's season isn't as bad as i and prob others thought before.

hes got all the tools, you can see it everytime he touches the puck. He's got the will to battle, you see it everytime hes in on the forecheck. Problem is, he just isn't quite their physically, and is trying to adapt mentally. However, you need games to do adapt mentally and with the shortend season and big expectations for this team, Yeo, and Management, couldn't afford to give granny that time.

give him 2 solid years of playing AHL/NHL, gaining weight, and working with our skating coaches. if he still isn't a solid player by then, i'd start getting concerned.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:05 AM
57special

vCash: 335
Some sensible comments above. I was disappointed when I first saw him as he seemed weak (which can improve) and not especially fast. You can only have so many people like that on a team, and if you do they better have great skill otherwise to make up for their deficiencies.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:56 AM
P10p

Seems to me like he wasn't consistently skating hard and moving his legs at the start of the season. That has changed and he looks much quicker out there actually out-racing guys to corners and winning puck battles.

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
That was a pretty damn incredible assist.

Aside from that...he's shown, in my opinion, visible improvement from earlier in the season. Guy is winning battles, playing pretty strong defensively, and even getting multiple takeaways.

Offensively he still hasn't shown a consistent presence, but he definitely doesn't look out of place at the NHL level--just, at this point, probably not a top 6 center. Borderline, and I think with the right line mates he would be able to play an average to above average 2nd center at this point. If he played with Seto/Coyle or Zucker/Coyle on a consistent basis I think you would see a lot more offense out of him. In my opinion he hasn't really been put with optimal line mates to succeed offensively. So, what my point is, he's a rookie, who's undersized, trying to adapt to playing in a different style of game, all while playing with line mates who put him in a position to somewhat fail offensively...so I think he is doing an admirable job of playing a safer, responsible game, limiting mistakes and trying to exploit the opposing teams mistakes.

Overall, he's doing his job as a rookie. With the flashes he's showing, and the game he's showing I am not worried at all about him being a really good player 2-3 years down the road.

That's my take. He's showing consistent progress, which is all you can ask for from a rookie.
Great post.

This pretty much sums up everything I think of Granlund as well.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
What Yeo should do is

Parise Koivu Pompom

Gralund Coyle Seto

Cal Brodz Mitchell

Rupp Konopka Stoner/falk/intel
Your top six is spot on but where is Bouchard in the bottom six? I understand he doesn't really fit anywhere on the team but maybe put him with Brodziak and Clutterbuck, and move Mitchell down with Rupp and Konopka.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
nickschultzfan

Granlund played with more spunk last night. He was still getting out-muscled, but he definitely played with that Finnish-fire that Koivu has.

He just needs to get some chemistry with some linemates and to put on some real muscle.