HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Re-sign Whitney?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I'd rather scoop Mark Streit
Problem I see with Streit is that he's in his mid 30's and is already starting to slow down.

What's Whitney? 29-30? I think a 3rd pairing with Whitney on it is looking better now than it did a month into the season. He doesn't scare the unholy crap out of me when he's on the ice anymore.

I like The idea of a Fistric-Whitney bottom pairing but they don't seem to play well together.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:10 PM
ponokanocker

A month ago, I would have said no way. I think that his injuries have finally healed and he is starting to gain confidence back. I'm hoping that he will take a pay cut and stay.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
A month ago, I would have said no way. I think that his injuries have finally healed and he is starting to gain confidence back. I'm hoping that he will take a pay cut and stay.
by pay cut hopefully you mean 50% off
Whitney at 2M would be good...

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
MCDAVIDISH

Ah how quick we are to get down on players, and then embrace them back once they start to produce again. Maybe we should learn from this and remember next time someone goes into a slump that it naturally happens with a lot of athletes and a lot of times they eventually find their way out. Just a thought.

MCDAVIDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:28 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Ah how quick we are to get down on players, and then embrace them back once they start to produce again. Maybe we should learn from this and remember next time someone goes into a slump that it naturally happens with a lot of athletes and a lot of times they eventually find their way out. Just a thought.
True enough.

Whitney's suggested as such, that he's aware that the fans wanted him dealt and had given up on him. Given his on-ice production at the time, some would say with good enough reason. But it's pretty twilight zone-ish to now embrace him again after nearly chasing him down with torches and pitchforks and have him want to re-sign.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Turrican*

1. Joanne Ireland ‏@jirelandEJ 23m
Eve of trade ddline Whitney at movie w tmmates, incl Hemsky, who saw #oilers GM called. All figured Hemsky gone. Was a Tambellini pocket dl.

hahahaahhaha

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
it was a long slump and he is still making 3.5M to play on the bottom pairing.
I am sure Whitney understands why the fans wanted him out while his play was in the toilet. Now that he is playing up to expectations it is only natural for fans to like him again.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
True enough.

Whitney's suggested as such, that he's aware that the fans wanted him dealt and had given up on him. Given his on-ice production at the time, some would say with good enough reason. But it's pretty twilight zone-ish to now embrace him again after nearly chasing him down with torches and pitchforks and have him want to re-sign.
Like I said... He was also aware WHY fans were on his case...
It is like not boo'ing your team when they play crappy... You play poor you get boo'd.. You spank the Flames.. you get the standing O...

Old
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If he signed a very short contract it wouldn't kill me. 1 year max to keep him playing honest.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

Quote:
To be fair to those who wanted him gone, it is hard to know how a guy will recover from injuries

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Bliss

1 year contract to let Klefbom and Marincin develop 1 more year in the A and then let him move on

Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
OilerFan4Life

He'll look at Baaaaaaaawstan wicked haaad.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
He'll look at Baaaaaaaawstan wicked haaad.
BOS will have 7M of cap space to sign 7 players one of which is Mr. Rask.
If Whitney wants league min they'll take him

Old
04-04-2013, 07:14 PM
gooilgo

Only deal that makes sense for the Oilers is a 1 year deal at around 2.5, giving Whitney the chance to prove himself and revisit the issue in the summer of 2014, a kind of bridge contract if you like.
If Whitney wants more than that or is looking for term then it's a case of thanks but no thanks.
I have no doubt however that some GM out there will offer him more than that with term.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:32 PM
plikestechno

The UFA d-man pool is awful this year so I think someone will overpay with money and term because they don't have to give anything up for him. Who knows how many years he has left? If I were him I would take the most money and term. Probably to some team that needs to get to the floor. If we get to the playoffs and he plays well that will only increase his value.

I would be very surprised if he signed here for small contract or short term and would be mad if we overpaid him which we can't afford to do.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:38 PM
KCC

When he's playing well, he's a good fit for the team, but only at a lower price because he's too streaky and who knows if his ankle or foot or whatever it was that was injured will hold up.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Every time we make a thread like this the player regresses again. I'm in a "wait and see" mode with almost everybody on the team.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Six in O6

Two year deal, try to get a good price and make sure we can still move him. I think 2 year 3 to 3.75M. Four tops. Hopefully that way he can increase his trade value over the next year and we can get something significant for him if necessary.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:03 PM
gooilgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Two year deal, try to get a good price and make sure we can still move him. I think 2 year 3 to 3.75M. Four tops. Hopefully that way he can increase his trade value over the next year and we can get something significant for him if necessary.
I am sorry but you cannot give him 3.75M per for 2 years. Whitney is essentially a bottom pairing defenseman at this stage. He may bounce back but more likely not, more than 1 year is just too much of a risk for the oilers at a time when we have to be careful with the cap.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
i really hope management at least pushes him to the minors for the start of the season. this strategy of relying on rookies to fill key holes is garbage.
It's a 5-6 spot defenseman, and from what's been said, Klefbom was the most NHL ready player in TC. Klefbom will be 20 by the start of the season, and this past season he's played with men in the highest league in Sweden (for Färjestad Bollklubb), which is supposed to be even a better league than the AHL. Klefbom might need a little time in the AHL, but he'll probably be a better puck-moving option than someone like Peckham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
They better re-sign him. Would be awful asset management to turn Stoll, Greene - Visnovksy - Whitney - nothing.
That happens when you trade young players for talented veterans. The way I see it is that the Oilers have only $16 M to spend next season to fill 10 of 26 positions. Gagner and Paajarvi are becoming RFAs next season. Having to trade a young talent such as Gagner or Paajarvi to retain Whitney as a 5-6 spot defenseman for $4-5 M would be poor asset management imo. Gagner is going to cost Whitney's salary next season to sign. I'd sign Gagner next season and view Whitney as a playoff rental for this season. The reduced cap is likely going to create a glut of reasonably skilled players in the off-season that teams can't afford to keep. The Oilers should also be more of an attractive option on the Free Agent market in the summer if they continue to show promise.

With the cap being an issue many teams are going to have trim salary in the summer and won't have a whole lot to spend. The Oilers are better off not signing anyone at this point and shopping some summer bargains and perhaps shedding some more cap space with buy-outs.

I'd like to see Whitney back as well, but their are other more valuable assets at stake here, and I would like to ensure that they are kept first. RNH and Yakupov will have to be signed in the next few years too.

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 04-05-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Broilers

2 years

I would have traded him for picks. I am ready to sign him 2.2M-2,5M per year but only 2 years. But this means that he is ready to accept the offer and we are able to trade Potter and get reasonable return. They are pretty much interchangeable. Whitney is just a little bit better and has potential to recover and become number 4-5 dman in the contending club. Potter is number 7 guy in the contender.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Moose Coleman

Why do people think Whitney has the potential to recover?Leading up the season, we hears lots about how he was feeling great, fully recovered etc. And he was terrible. His injuries are chronic, his mobility is shot. He's got a nice first past and can read the game well,which is enough to keep him in the league, but that's all there is there ain't no more.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:07 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Why do people think Whitney has the potential to recover?Leading up the season, we hears lots about how he was feeling great, fully recovered etc. And he was terrible. His injuries are chronic, his mobility is shot. He's got a nice first past and can read the game well,which is enough to keep him in the league, but that's all there is there ain't no more.
We heard Peckham was in the best shape of his life as well. It's time to quit listening to players before they hit the ice.

I mentioned a few times how Whitney has always struggled when he had long lay offs. I don't think his play this year has anything to do with chronic foot problems. It's he has a hard time getting back in and playing at NHL game speed.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We heard Peckham was in the best shape of his life as well. It's time to quit listening to players before they hit the ice.

I mentioned a few times how Whitney has always struggled when he had long lay offs. I don't think his play this year has anything to do with chronic foot problems. It's he has a hard time getting back in and playing at NHL game speed.
We've played 37 games and he still looks like a rod hockey player out there. He seems more aware of his limitations and isn't putting himself in as many situations where he will get burned because of his inability to do basic things like turn. Excepting him to get any better is a bad bet, though.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
We've played 37 games and he still looks like a rod hockey player out there. He seems more aware of his limitations and isn't putting himself in as many situations where he will get burned because of his inability to do basic things like turn. Excepting him to get any better is a bad bet, though.
The one major difference for me is he can skate now. Earlier in the year he looked so slow.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote