HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYI at Caps. 7PM. 4.4.2013: Playoffs?!

Old
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You keep saying this. What does Nabby have to do with our defense? We were out-shot by 14.
And we outchanced them when it came to quality opportunities.

Unscreened shots from the point into Holtby's glove mean little.

We were in their zone for most of the game.

Side note: I'm sure this has been discussed but what absurd officiating. Fehr getting quadrouple teamed and Hendricks getting a penalty for coming into help.

Then with 3 minutes left puck hits glass and goes out of play. Ref closest immediately says no DoG penalty. Clowns confer and send Green to the box.

True we got away with a slash on Tavares on the ensuing PP but that would have never happened if the officials didn't botch the Green call.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
And we outchanced them when it came to quality opportunities.

Unscreened shots from the point into Holtby's glove mean little.

We were in their zone for most of the game.
That's not how I saw it at all. I wish I could find a site that tracked zone time for games, because I don't think it would reflect your final statement.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
That's not how I saw it at all. I wish I could find a site that tracked zone time for games, because I don't think it would reflect your final statement.
At one point they showed a stat that we were outchancing them 15-9 despite being heavily outshot. We doubled them up in hits too.

They hardly had any sustained zone time until with about 10 minutes left in the game.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
So if the team pulls out two points on a virtuoso goaltending performance, all is well?
all is well? did is say that? no. i do expect some balance and from reading the one page and thats all my quessy stomach can handle it was suckatude.

i guess its always easier to complain than too compliment. they are 7-2-1 in the last 10. they suck. mcphee should be fired. ted is a food. green doesnt have a brain. mj is stinks. laich talks to much. ribeiro is still here. what am i forgetting?

oh, yea....ov is hot and team is winning. that proves that the caps roster sucks.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
At one point they showed a stat that we were outchancing them 15-9 despite being heavily outshot. We doubled them up in hits too.

They hardly had any sustained zone time until with about 10 minutes left in the game.
At what point did they show that stat? And who tracked it? Was it the NHL or CSN?

Old
04-05-2013, 08:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
all is well? did is say that? no. i do expect some balance and from reading the one page and thats all my quessy stomach can handle it was suckatude.

i guess its always easier to complain than too compliment. they are 7-2-1 in the last 10. they suck. mcphee should be fired. ted is a food. green doesnt have a brain. mj is stinks. laich talks to much. ribeiro is still here. what am i forgetting?

oh, yea....ov is hot and team is winning. that proves that the caps roster sucks.
Ah yes, the same old shtick.

How about going back and looking at QuadrupleDeke's posts? It's a highly flawed roster, and I thought they looked pretty bad last night, but were bailed out by Holtby.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:29 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
At what point did they show that stat? And who tracked it? Was it the NHL or CSN?
CSN. They showed not only stats in between periods but Locker and JB brought it up in the 3rd. It was consistent with what I was seeing out there.

We had the puck for the majority of the game especially Green and the 1st line. Ward's line with Erat was pretty darn good too.

Laich/Ribs/Brouwer struggled at times but had prolonged possessions in the Isles zone.

Give credit to the Isles for limiting shots on goal via blocks, sticks in passing lanes etc

Old
04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Ah yes, the same old shtick.

How about going back and looking at QuadrupleDeke's posts? It's a highly flawed roster, and I thought they looked pretty bad last night, but were bailed out by Holtby.
Huh?

We outchanced them.

We outhit them.

We won the faceoff battle.

We won the game.

What would it take to not make them look "pretty bad" in your eyes?

That game should have been 4 or 5 to 0 until the Isles made their surge. Nabakov was excellent and Backstrom/Ovy/MJ missed golden opportunities.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
CSN. They showed not only stats in between periods but Locker and JB brought it up in the 3rd. It was consistent with what I was seeing out there.

We had the puck for the majority of the game especially Green and the 1st line. Ward's line with Erat was pretty darn good too.

Laich/Ribs/Brouwer struggled at times but had prolonged possessions in the Isles zone.

Give credit to the Isles for limiting shots on goal via blocks, sticks in passing lanes etc
So it's kind of like hits, then. Where there's no standard definition and the totals can be fudged to make the home team look better.

The Isles had 16 blocked shots. The Caps had 15.

And NHL.com sucks now, they don't even have shot charts anymore.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
So it's kind of like hits, then. Where there's no standard definition and the totals can be fudged to make the home team look better.

The Isles had 16 blocked shots. The Caps had 15.

And NHL.com sucks now, they don't even have shot charts anymore.
CSN is pretty unbiased. In the previous Isles games CSN showed how they heavily outhit us and in the 1st one outchanced us badly and it was consistent with what I personally saw while watching.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Huh?

We outchanced them.

We outhit them.

We won the faceoff battle.

We won the game.

What would it take to not make them look "pretty bad" in your eyes?

That game should have been 4 or 5 to 0 until the Isles made their surge. Nabakov was excellent and Backstrom/Ovy/MJ missed golden opportunities.
We outchanced them according to the graphic provided by the home feed, which I don't buy at all.

Outhitting often indicates that the other team controlled the puck more than you did.

The faceoff battle has almost nothing to do with the quality of the team or the play.

Yep, we won the game due to Holtby's outstanding play.

To make them not look pretty bad, they'd have to do something to limit the opposing shots, not get repeatedly hemmed in the defensive zone, pass the puck much more accurately, and not turn the puck over twice as much as the opposition.

Ignoring shot differential is pretty silly. It's one of the better basic stat indicators of a team's quality.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
capsfan59

Quote:
You keep saying this. What does Nabby have to do with our defense? We were out-shot by 14.
The caps Imo had more scoring chances. Islanders had more shots on goal but they were of the low probability variety. Caps had more quality chances. What good is shot on goal if it has no chance of going in?

capsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
marcel snapshot

Had the Isles on their heels for 1st 2 periods

Erat looked good. Several fine passes in both O-zone and D-zone. Good cycle game, stronger along the boards than I anticipated, and immediately increases the team's overall hockey IQ and two-way play. Thought it was a good idea to have him with Ovie in OT.

We went into a more passive, D-first style in the last 10 minutes of the game. We're not very good at that right now. Our lockdown mode is leaky: zone entries for Isles were too easy, clears from our zone were too hard -- seems like if we go passive and don't stretch the opponent's D we struggle, perhaps because it becomes more of a one-on-one puck battle game, and we still need a lot of work there. But last year's playoffs show we have the ability to up our game in that department - we'd better start doing so now since there will be more games like last night going forward.

Oh and Tavares scared me every time he was on the ice.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

There's the timeline of shots+missed shots. Caps actually did hold their own until ~halfway through the 3rd, although the Isles really dominated in spots too (the start of the second for example).

Granted, you expect the team that's trailing to outshoot/out-attempt the team with the lead. Game got out of hand in the 3rd though.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:

This. Shots mean nothing. A dump in from the red line on goal counts as a shot. An unscreened wrister from the blue line counts as a shot. Scoring chances is what matters. I don't think it's any coincidence that we've been outshot in 7 out of or last 8 games yet have gone 6-1-1. Oates' system seems predicated on creating chances, not shots. Didn't we shoot 10-44 at one point? As long as Holtby stops the shots he's supposed to stop, the system looks good. Last night he was fantastic, but so was Habby. NBTW, I found it disappointing that you pointed out the Isles could have had 5 or 6 yet failed to mention the same thing for the Caps. We barely missed on the Ovie to Backstrom pass, MoJo had a one-on-one with the goalie, and Habby made 5 or 6 highlight reel saves. I thought the Hillen shot was going in 100%; an incredible save. Goes both ways. Could have been 1-1 as it was, 5-5, or if one goalie didn't bring his 'A' game 5-1 in someone's direction. We got 2 points from a team that's had our number the past two seasons, lighten up.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
EHCler

First 11 games: 2-8-1 5 Points
Last 26 games: 16-9-1 33 Points

If you subtract the first 11 games (yes we did have a new coach with a different system) and none of our D played during the lockout this team actually has a good record. multiplying the point average of the last 26 games times 37 games we would have 47 points 4th highest in the East 6th highest in the league.

Somebody must be doing something right. Yes we benefit from the crapy teams in our division.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
And there you go, Stewie G.
I said I didn't say anyone thought our defense played great for a full 60. I see that as different than saying that they like the D. Just because it's different than your take, doesn't mean it's wrong (or right for that matter).

Someone can like the current defensive personnel but not feel like they played a great game from start to finish. It's not like a great defensive lineup plays great every night, just like how a bad defense can't play a solid game from time to time.

We get it. You don't like them. They're not consistent. They're missing a bona fide top 4 LD after Alzner. Each and every one of them have their flaws, but no team is going to have a flawless top 6 that fits perfectly into the top pair, middle pair, bottom pair roles. I'm not sold on them either, but that doesn't mean I think it's a foregone conclusion that they're going to sink the ship and I'm not going to belittle those who like them more than I do.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
g00n
*le sigh*

It's pretty simple. Before the road trip they realized it was do or die, and the stars on the team got going, as did the budding-star of a goalie we have.

But the stars are the ones putting the pucks in the net, and producing like they did years ago when the team was feared by all for its high-flying offense.

In other words, the team is performing as it was built to. You pay these guys what you pay them because you expect them to carry the team. Otherwise, everyone would get the same salary.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

There were a few positives from the defense IMO. The first was engaged Carlson showed up. It's clear to me (and probably everyone else here), that Carlson has major bouts of 'itis throughout the regular season, but it's also apparent that he has a switch he can flip when he's ready to ratchet up his play. He easily matched the speed of any of the Islander forwards (an extremely speedy lot), he was physical, he carried the puck, he made crisp passes for the most part etc. Aside from the failure to clear the zone once in the third, I thought that he was terrific and he reminded me of the kid that we thought we were getting after his year with the Knights. I expect Carlson to be beastly in the playoffs again.

Also, as long as Schultz sits, this is the best skating defense we've had in some time. I thought that we skated with the Pens a few weeks back, and for the most part I thought we did a solid job with the Islanders speed last night. We were passive down the stretch, but I was pretty impressed with the foot-quickness of this bunch and I think that actually gives us a fighting chance to make a dent in the playoffs despite the lousy year in the aggregate thus far, especially if Ovie and Backstrom continue playing the way that they have been.

TheFountainhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
g00n
*le sigh*

55 should not see action the rest of the year. No trade deadline to showcase for, and no room for "growing pains" or learning curves.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Our defense is garbage. It has been bad for a while, and I've been saying it for a while. But it's certainly not as good as it's been in fifteen years, or whatever BobRouse was saying. Hell, it's not even as good as the unit we had last year. I'd take functional a Hamrlik over Hillen any day of the week, and Hunter's system emphasized Schultz's strengths and masked the mobility concerns with Schultz, Hamrlik, and Erskine. Even as much as we hate Wideman, he could at least get the puck out of the defensive zone.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
G3 LesPaul

Lose game. People complain.
Win game. People complain.
3rd in southeast. People complain.

You guys need to get a grip. So what if we won ugly? I rather win ugly then lose looking good.

"Fans" at their best

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:06 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

For all the crap I've said and thought about Hillen (and there's been plenty), I will give him this: he seemed to be handling Tavares beautifully all night.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

What is draft position based on: standings seeding or playoff seeding? (assuming we do not win a round).

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:09 AM
g00n
*le sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Lose game. People complain.
Win game. People complain.
3rd in southeast. People complain.

You guys need to get a grip. So what if we won ugly? I rather win ugly then lose looking good.

"Fans" at their best
I'm sorry, but have you been paying attention to this franchise for the last, oh, almost 40 years?

You can't think of ANY reason why Caps fans would be skeptical and guarded?