HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Zuccarello

View Poll Results: Re-sign Zucc RIGHT NOW?
YES - AT Least 1 YR 199 89.24%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...YES 17 7.62%
I am still very unsure, if the season ended today then...NO 2 0.90%
Sorry, but No. 5 2.24%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 06:39 AM
TigerJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
The Rangers are gonna qualifying him, so if the they don't trade him, he will be a Ranger.
But if they don't offer him a one way, I guess his heading for Europe again.

But I really hope his gonna make it this time. The guy is leaving several millions on the table, to play for The New York Rangers.
A QO has to be at least as good as the contract he has now. Doesn´t this mean that it has to be a one way, since this is what he has today? And at least 5% increase would mean that the QO would be at least a one way deal $735k.

I wouldn´t be surprised if another team offers him an offer sheet.....

Old
04-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
I really like how he has been playing. Making a lot of small plays that have been adding up. Lot of hustle too, or JAM.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:27 AM
KingStian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
The Rangers are gonna qualifying him, so if the they don't trade him, he will be a Ranger.
But if they don't offer him a one way, I guess he's heading for Europe again.

But I really hope his gonna make it this time. The guy is leaving several millions on the table, to play for The New York Rangers.

Edit. For the record .This is just my guessings, not anything Zucc has said.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's a restricted free agent after the season, right? The Rangers organization will retain his right as long as they qualify him with an offer, if he chooses not to accept the terms of the contract offered. But can't another NHL team offer him a better deal, and then Rangers has to offer him the same terms to retain him.

Say for argument sake that the organization offer him a one year, two-way deal worth 1.2 million a year. If then say Detroit comes in and offer him a two year, one-way deal woth 2.5 million a year, and he accepts that, then they can keep him by offering him the same deal, or else they will have to let him sign with Detroit.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:35 AM
egelband

mats-sanity.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
NYR Viper

If he continues his play, there is no reason why he should not be re-signed. The guy adds so much skill and he just slows the game down which is great. He has almost immediate chemistry with anyone on the roster as well. Great in shootouts. Good on the PP.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's a restricted free agent after the season, right? The Rangers organization will retain his right as long as they qualify him with an offer, if he chooses not to accept the terms of the contract offered. But can't another NHL team offer him a better deal, and then Rangers has to offer him the same terms to retain him.

Say for argument sake that the organization offer him a one year, two-way deal worth 1.2 million a year. If then say Detroit comes in and offer him a two year, one-way deal woth 2.5 million a year, and he accepts that, then they can keep him by offering him the same deal, or else they will have to let him sign with Detroit.
Yes, if he were to sign an offer sheet, the Rangers would have to decide whether to match the offer sheet or let him go and receive whatever compensation based on the amount of the contract. I don't see anyone giving him an offer sheet though. And if they do, it probably won't be enough to get us anything of signficance in terms of compensation.

Hopefully we'll re-sign him. He's playing well and I see no reason why he would be demoted any time soon. That should be enough to earn him a 1-way deal next year.

I believe he is still under contract in the KHL, though he has an out clause. So he can still return there if things don't work out here. He hasn't given up any money yet, but I can't imagine that the Rangers will give him as much as his KHL team will.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Sure, but you have to think if Miller and Kreider make it next year and Clowe is given an extension, it will be a tight fit. I don't see those two starting the year in Hartford.

Rangers depth on fwd:

LW: Clowe-Hagelin-Kreider-Miller-Powe-Pyatt

C: Stepan-Richards-Brassard-Boyle (Miller-Powe)

RW: Nash - Callahan - Dorsett - Asham - Fast - Thomas (Boyle)

If he's willing to sign a QO he probably gets signed, but I don't see him getting a one way >1,4M. Remains to see if he'll accept a cheap deal just to stay in the NHL. It's not unlikely.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
Sure, but you have to think if Miller and Kreider make it next year and Clowe is given an extension, it will be a tight fit. I don't see those two starting the year in Hartford.

Rangers depth on fwd:

RW: Nash - Callahan - Dorsett - Asham (Boyle)

If he's willing to sign a QO he probably gets signed, but I don't see him getting a one way >1,4M. Remains to see if he'll accept a cheap deal just to stay in the NHL. It's not unlikely.
I don't see it as a given that Miller will be NHL ready next season. I think the plan was to have him play the entire season in the AHL this year, and have him be an emergency call-up next season. He needs to work on consistency and his offense and he needs big minutes to do so.

Pyatt, Powe, Boyle and Asham are not locks.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:15 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I don't see it as a given that Miller will be NHL ready next season. I think the plan was to have him play the entire season in the AHL this year, and have him be an emergency call-up next season. He needs to work on consistency and his offense and he needs big minutes to do so.

Pyatt, Powe, Boyle and Asham are not locks.
True. We could see trades. Think (hope) Pyatt will be gone. But looking at todays roster team is pretty deep. That's a good thing, but combined with the cap situation for next it means they'll have issues signing "Nice to have" pieces like Zuccarello.

I think (hope) Miller will be ready for NHL duty after a bit more time in the A and a full training camp.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post

Rangers depth on fwd:

RW: Nash - Callahan - Dorsett - Asham - Fast - Thomas (Boyle)

That was the mistake we made over the summer. We assumed kids were going to step in and take spots on the roster and we wound up with very little depth in the lineup and forcing Miller and Kreider to play roles they clearly were not ready for. You can always trade players when a kid wins a spot in the lineup, but until that happens, it's not a good idea to let viable NHL talent leave without a replacement ready and waiting.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

He better start racking up them points soon, or else his ice time will be cut..

Or we could hope his team mates reades him better and answers his passes better ..

Old
04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
SKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He looks stronger and faster. I don't think he'll ever be a HUGE point producer, mainly because he doesn't seem to have much a shot. Hopefully he can work on it. Fantastic passer, though.
I do not believe you should worry about his shot. That has been one of his main strengths, especially in SEL, prior to moving to the NHL.

Remember, the guy still only have 50-something games under his belt and still carries some of the scandinavian mentality of setting up other players rather than taking what may be considered a "selfish" shot in SEL. This will improve, and I believe he will be a sniper with great goalscoring ability once he has established a role on the team.
When I first saw him in the olympics, his shot is what really caught my eye. Well, that and all the other things about this crazy little hobbit

One thing I find interesting is the surprise a lot of people seem to have that he performs well.
Remember what the board looked like when he had his first and second stint with the team? He was awarded first star by most fans in many games, and seemed to excite all the critics on a daily basis. He then had a 5-10 or some insignificant number of games where he was quite invisible. But this came during a time where he was getting less than 10 minutes per game on awful 3rd or 4th lines.

He then was then sent down and people did not seem to remember how he lit up the ice and then claimed he was an early burst who disappeared. Then he came back and lit it up again, but unfortunately was injured in a heroic effort to block a shot and we all remember the rest.

Just because enough people forget his skill and start claiming he didnt have, does not make it true.

Look forward to seeing this guy finally getting a chance as a piece of our team.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
He better start racking up them points soon, or else his ice time will be cut..

Or we could hope his team mates reades him better and answers his passes better ..
Torts seems to like him a lot, sounds good for the future.

Post-practice presser yesterday, comments about Zucc from 02:25

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/2...e#.UV7U85OpqUM

Old
04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
McNashty
› HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
Zucca's playing well in my opinion. He was taking some dumb penalties but it seems as if he's settled down and even started drawing some penalties.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:31 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
More aggressive style paying off for Zuccarello

By LARRY BROOKS
Last Updated: 2:58 AM, April 5, 2013

The fourth time around is proving the charm for Mats Zuccarello, who has been more assertive in every situation in his three games for the Rangers since rejoining the club last week following a full KHL season.

“I feel more confident on the ice,” Zuccarello told The Post yesterday before the Rangers embarked on a three-game trip that commences tonight in Pittsburgh. “The last time I was here I was way too worried about what would happen if I made a mistake.

“I decided that this time I would just give it my all and play with the mindset that I have nothing to lose.”

Zuccarello has one assist in 16:39 of average ice time. He is a top-six forward on a line with Brad Richards and Ryane Clowe while getting an opportunity at the point on the second power play.

“I’m sure playing in the KHL helped,” Zuccarello said. “It was another year of experience where I got the chance to work on the things I needed to in order to be able to come back to the Rangers.

“Confidence is a big part for every player. All the best players have it. If I want to play here, that’s very important for me. I have to play my best hockey every night.”
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Old
04-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Should we just ship Miller and Kreider away to KHL now?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:47 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Should we just ship Miller and Kreider away to KHL now?
JT is not ready for the NHL at this point in my opinion. Kreider should be playing already.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Nosferatos

Man, his linemates can't buy a goal. Plenty of good positions thanks to his passing, but they're always missing.

Another great game tonight, lots of guts and skill in both ends of the rink.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Kershaw

I remember when I was informed Tedenby is better.

Zucc isn't going to be a scorer in this league, but he is pretty much a good 3rd option offensive sparkplug that can be defensively responsible. He was even down blocking shots tonight. I am so happy this organization didn't give up on him.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
NickyFotiu

He is showing so much more speed. He doesn't have the quickest first steps but once he gets going he is really looking good. He made a handful of quality plays tonight. He just needs to stay with it and sooner or later something will go in. We only scored 1 goal tonight so its not like anyone was having a lot of success points wise.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Affinity

I am glad he is back playing for us, he is so creative and fun to watch. It was great seeing his face light up when any of his teammates scored in that first game against the Penguins. We're a better team with Zooks!

Old
04-06-2013, 12:39 AM
shinchanyo

In order to determine his likelihood of success we must first calculate his jam levels for Torts sake.
Zuccarello: Small but quick. Can't get much power in a hit and is outmuscled along the boards. Does buzz around a player causing irritation and fumbling of the puck and blocks shot due to good positioning
Jam level: 3 Toejam at best

Now compare that to Clowe

Large, powerful hitter, wins many board battles. gets in on the forecheck and in the crease and wreaks havoc.
Jam level: 9 Bob Marley Hope you like jammin too!

But it's not all about size lastly let's compare him to Boyle.

Boyle:....It's Brian Boyle lol
Jam level: LOL Brian Boyle gtfo

Old
04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
-I cannot explain why Zuccarello didn’t play in overtime, and neither could Tortorella after the game.

“Yeah, I decided to go with the other guys,” Tortorella said when asked what had kept Zuccarello on the bench.

Several Rangers forwards created scoring chances, but I thought Zuccarello arguably was New York’s best player – you could say Nash, too – particularly in the third period. He was turning plays right back into the offensive zone from the neutral zone, He had eight shifts that lasted one minute or longer, including one that went 1:28.

Tortorella maybe still does not trust Zuccarello defensively, but don’t put Brad R

In the third period, Zuccarello nearly scored when a shot on Fleury bounced over the goaltender and just over the crossbar. On the same play, Zuccarello retrieved the puck behind the net, weaved and found Clowe in front, but the shot whistled by into the boards for a frustrating missed opportunity.

Of course, when Rangers such as Zuccarello, Anton Stralman, Boyle, Richards and Arron Asham all got quality, solid shots on goal, Fleury was there to clean it up mostly with his left pad and his glove.

Here are Zuccarello’s postgame comments:

On whether this was his best game so far: “I’m getting more and more comfortable with everything, so I think I’m playing better and better, but we lose, so it doesn’t really matter.”

On whether he thinks Rangers played well: “Yeah. I think we played a good game. I think it was a game we should have won if you see the chances, but that’s hockey. We got an important point, so we just have to battle through it, because we have an important game tomorrow.”

On his shootout attempt: “I should have held it a little longer, but he made a good save. It’s what happens.”

On whether he was itching to play in overtime: “Well, I mean there are so many good players here, so obviously everybody wants to play, but the ones who were playing were doing a hell of a job. You just want the team to win, but obviously everyone who sits on the bench wants to play.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...rl-hagelin-mis

Old
04-06-2013, 12:12 PM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
In order to determine his likelihood of success we must first calculate his jam levels for Torts sake.
Zuccarello: Small but quick. Can't get much power in a hit and is outmuscled along the boards. Does buzz around a player causing irritation and fumbling of the puck and blocks shot due to good positioning
Jam level: 3 Toejam at best

Now compare that to Clowe

Large, powerful hitter, wins many board battles. gets in on the forecheck and in the crease and wreaks havoc.
Jam level: 9 Bob Marley Hope you like jammin too!

But it's not all about size lastly let's compare him to Boyle.

Boyle:....It's Brian Boyle lol
Jam level: LOL Brian Boyle gtfo
. I wish i didnt read this

Old
04-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

Great game again tonight by Zucc, and a nice assist. I wish he was on the Nash line, they seem to find each other. Richards and Clowe can't keep up with his speed.

Closed Thread