HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers' Defense Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
SwordofStMichael

vCash: 500
They are playing better.
If Mason can spell Bryzgalov and play with confidence then they have a good chance of competing for a playoff spot.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Appreciation after one game? really? Flyers should appreciate when these wins turn into a larger abundance and put themselves into a playoff spot. Your defense is almost as abysmal as the Leafs defense last season.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Nolanitis

Not for nothing, seems like their defense has gotten much better since the refs have misplaced their whistles.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Appreciation after one game? really? Flyers should appreciate when these wins turn into a larger abundance and put themselves into a playoff spot. Your defense is almost as abysmal as the Leafs defense last season.
Check the date on the OP buddy

Old
04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Check the date on the OP buddy
Done. Point however, still remains relevant and true "Buddy".

Old
04-05-2013, 10:44 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Done. Point however, still remains relevant and true "Buddy".
How is the point still relevant when the original post was more sarcastic than anything? Not only that but the Flyers actually have strung together a few wins so it's not just 1 game either. I guess they are still as bad as the Leafs defense last year?

Old
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
How is the point still relevant when the original post was more sarcastic than anything? Not only that but the Flyers actually have strung together a few wins so it's not just 1 game either. I guess they are still as bad as the Leafs defense last year?
no point in arguing with a leafs fan, ever. especially this year when they are somewhat successful and their heads are bigger than ever.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
When I consider a team I also consider their depth. Take Ottawa for example. They lost their goalie, their centre and two of their best defensemen yet they still manage to maintain a strong playoff spot. Look at the Leafs. We lose Lupul for a long stretch, Reimer gets injured, Frattin gets injured, and our most consistent d-man gunnarsson gets injured. We maintained a playoff spot despite our questionable defense. It was defensive prospects and back up goaltending, as well as secondary scoring that got us through it. Flyers have faced some cruicial injuries but have only been able to maintain positions like 9-11th for a period of time before falling down to near the bottom of the east until recently.

It is good that your team is winning but my point is you need to have defensive depth in order to maintain a good position. You have strung together a few wins but considering the play of the isles/Rangers, can your team really compete? Also do not count out the devils, either.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:03 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
When I consider a team I also consider their depth. Take Ottawa for example. They lost their goalie, their centre and two of their best defensemen yet they still manage to maintain a strong playoff spot. Look at the Leafs. We lose Lupul for a long stretch, Reimer gets injured, Frattin gets injured, and our most consistent d-man gunnarsson gets injured. We maintained a playoff spot despite our questionable defense. It was defensive prospects and back up goaltending, as well as secondary scoring that got us through it. Flyers have faced some cruicial injuries but have only been able to maintain positions like 9-11th for a period of time before falling down to near the bottom of the east until recently.

It is good that your team is winning but my point is you need to have defensive depth in order to maintain a good position. You have strung together a few wins but considering the play of the isles/Rangers, can your team really compete? Also do not count out the devils, either.
Flyers have had injuries to Coburn, Grossmann, Mez and technically you can count Pronger into that, plus Carle going elsewhere, and we are unsure if Timonen will be ready to play tomorrow. We are using either washed up d-men or AHL call-ups, and you know what, it's surprising that we can do what we've done with 4 straight wins. Flyers have technically dressed 5 goalies (maybe 6 if Heeter did show up this year), 11 defensemen, and 19 forwards because of injuries. The fact that we are where we are is crazy.

Also, Rangers are only ahead by 2 points with a game in hand. Islanders have 3 points ahead of us and Flyers have a game in hand against them. We may not get 6th overall (where you guys are), but 7th and 8th are definitely in reach.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Tripod

Quote:
As mentioned...it was brought up how bad the D is on paper. And right now...4 straight wins with horrible defense. But certainly are playing better than they were with 3 more healthy D-men

Old
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Flyers have had injuries to Coburn, Grossmann, Mez and technically you can count Pronger into that, plus Carle going elsewhere, and we are unsure if Timonen will be ready to play tomorrow. We are using either washed up d-men or AHL call-ups, and you know what, it's surprising that we can do what we've done with 4 straight wins. Flyers have technically dressed 5 goalies (maybe 6 if Heeter did show up this year), 11 defensemen, and 19 forwards because of injuries. The fact that we are where we are is crazy.

Also, Rangers are only ahead by 2 points with a game in hand. Islanders have 3 points ahead of us and Flyers have a game in hand against them. We may not get 6th overall (where you guys are), but 7th and 8th are definitely in reach.
Wow what an injury prone defense

Hope they get healthy. I don't think the Flyer's will make the playoffs though-and finishing 9th will really make their draft position worse, not that it matters all that much with a young talented team

Old
04-05-2013, 12:47 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Wow what an injury prone defense

Hope they get healthy. I don't think the Flyer's will make the playoffs though-and finishing 9th will really make their draft position worse, not that it matters all that much with a young talented team
Matters even more. With a young team it's important to keep out the "tanking mentality" or any other perceived rewards for falling in the standings. It creates a culture of losing which can keep a team in the basement for years just as easily as poor roster management.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I'm amazed that this thread wasn't moved but the Sabres Appreciation thread was.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:58 PM
BernieParent

I think we see this guy logging some defensive minutes against the Jets:

Old
04-05-2013, 01:07 PM
3Fs

Quote:

If we got the 8th seed and somewhere down the line we face the leafs and knock them off, boy the smack talk will hit you square in the chops for sure.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Curufinwe

If we get the 8th seed and they collapse to the 9th seed I will laugh for days.

Closed Thread