HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Perennial Roster Overhauls and Relationship to Postseason Success (Sting's Thread)

Old
04-04-2013, 05:44 AM
dethomas07

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
I wish we had Sauer back. We could at least trade him for something. This team has ZERO snipers after Nash. I want a Setoguchi type guy this offseason.
maybe horton depending on how RFAs signings work.. id love him on this team!

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:00 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
I wish we had Sauer back. We could at least trade him for something. This team has ZERO snipers after Nash. I want a Setoguchi type guy this offseason.
Yeah, no team is going to want to trade for a player that has missed playing time in 16 months. His contract is up after this season anyway.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Iginlas a free agents. We should look into it.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

I'm not even sure if I want us to sign big FAs anymore. Gaborik and maybe Gomez in a different way are the only successes in what, 13 years with Sather as GM? Ownership should force Sather to keep conracts 5 or less years.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Gaborik < Nash
Dubinsky < Clowe
Anisimov < Brassard
Prust < Dorsett
Erixon = Moore
Fedotenko > Powe
Rupp = Asham

Overall, the team is significantly better and younger too. Some of the guys we got will be here longer than the guys we lost. Gabby was a gone, Nash is a mainstain. Feds was a gone, Powe should remain for a few years.

The team is also much, much bigger. Nash has a huge size advantage on Gabby, same for Clowe and Dubi. Powe is tougher than Feds, and Dorsett is tougher than Prust. This team is legitimately tough now.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:26 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Better today than yesterday?

In my opinion, the Rangers needed a few things heading into the deadline. I did not expect to address them all. In fact I expected maybe we would get the bottom pairing d and sandpaper for the 4th line.

- Gritty scorer for the top 6
- Capable offensive center for the 3rd line
- trustworthy bottom pairing defenceman
- sandpaper type player for the bottom 6

- The Rangers got the gritty top 6 winger (LW to boot) in Clowe. We beat that acquisition to death yesterday and while one game doesn't make a player, I think we can all acknowledge that he brings an element to the team we were lacking. I mean 10 seconds into the game plants Engllend on his rear end with a hard body check in the corner.

- The Rangers get the offensively capable 3rd line center in Brassard. While not the typical checking 3rd line center, which I believe the NHL is moving away from anyway, Brassard does provide this team with a bit of offensive depth that we have been sorely lacking with Boyle playing that role. I have been a Boyle basher in that role. However, I think that he could be very useful playing wing on the 3rd line with Brass and Hags.

- The Rangers addressed a need for a bottom pairing defenceman that is going to have a long lasting impact on the teams D (more on that later). Moore provides the team with another solid skating defenceman with size that will round out the D once Staal is back. Moore and Stralman make for a very solid 3rd pairing. Additionally, with Moore being just 22, he's still going to get better.

- The Rangers addressed the loss of Prust with Dorsett. Grit personafied. plick to play against, underrated offensively. ability to take a regular shift as he has been increasing his TOI for four straight seasons (averaging almost 16 minutes a night this season).

All in all, you go into a Trade Deadline with four issues to address and you come out the other side having addressed all four issues? You should feel good about the results.

While I knew that Gaborik's time was running short for his stay here in NY, I did not believe it would have been at this years deadline. I have been yapping about this since last January that Gaborik was gone at the 2013 draft. However, when you have an opportunity to add three players (26 or younger) two of them being former 1st round selections, one of which was 6th overall. I think you HAVE to make that trade. These guys are going to be around for a while. And none of that mentiones the cap flexibility the deal provides.

Furthering the bold part above. I believe that the John Moore acquisition is going to make Dan Girardi available, maybe as soon as this summer. With notable UFA's like Lundqvist and Callahan up for contracts in summer of 2014 it's going to be important that we make sure that we have the financial flexibility needed to retain those assets while addressing other needs. Plus, while I do not think it will happen, having the financial warewithall to make a run at Malkin should he get to UFA is SMART. Even if we do not land the big fish in that regards, you have to make a play for his services if you can.

Thoughts?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:31 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khris Creider View Post
Iginlas a free agents. We should look into it.
No we shouldn't. We have the money to re-sign Clowe and our RFAs, but it will be tight.

Iginla will probably re-sign in pitt anyway.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
I think we would've been better off doing Gaborik for Nash straight up. Howson being Howson, he'd probably give us Dorsett too. It would seem horrible at the time but now that we know how bad Gaborik was going to be....

I would've let Prust walk. 2.5M is overpayment. I'd do the Powe/Rupp trade too. Sign Wideman with Gabby's cap space, and call it a day.
It was foreseeable that Gabby would have been struggling post shoulder op. this is
no picknic.

nash/Gabby even up would have been the right trade for us.

Changing one cog instead of the the whole transmission

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
irishlaxburger2

I still think we need a tough D man to clear the front of the net. Hopefully its McIlrath next yr

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:56 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No we shouldn't. We have the money to re-sign Clowe and our RFAs, but it will be tight.

Iginla will probably re-sign in pitt anyway.
agreed on first point

disagree on 2nd.

Think he re-signs in Calgary

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Clowe/Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Nash/Clowe-Richards-Zucc
Hags-Brass-Dorsett
Pyatt/Ash-Boyle-Powe

Girardi-McD
Staal-DZ
Stralman-Moore

Hank

I'm actually quite happy taking that into the playoffs.

And Miller and Kreider aren't needing to be rushed up. They'll have a crack next year.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Crease

Probably more importantly, Richards, Girardi, McDonagh, and Lundqvist were all better last year, though Lundqvist has been his normal excellent self as of late.

Stepan and Hagelin have taken significant steps forward though. Still think this current roster can contend this year. They have 3 weeks to get hot before the playoffs start.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Probably more importantly, Richards, Girardi, McDonagh, and Lundqvist were all better last year, though Lundqvist has been his normal excellent self as of late.

Stepan and Hagelin have taken significant steps forward though. Still think this current roster can contend this year. They have 3 weeks to get hot before the playoffs start.
Richards is starting to play better. It's a little later than I'd have liked, but if he heats up and becomes the Brad Richards we expect from here through the playoffs, I'll forget this terrible, weird season of his.

McD and G will benefit from Moore joining and Staal coming back. They might not be the defensive gods they were last year, but they're still damn good, and will be even better with less time.

Hank will elevate his game.

My god I love finding ways to rationalize how this team will succeed.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:55 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Like I just said in another thread, the Rangers (post-lockout) are probably viewed as a successful franchise around the league. Assuming they make the playoffs this, which I think they will, they'll have made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years with a lone miss on the last day of the season. They've made the Eastern Conference Finals, they've a Vezina winning goaltender, they've won playoff rounds. Aside from those that won the Cup (and, some of those wins came because teams had VERY lean years leading to great draft picks) since the lockout, the Rangers have been a "sustained legitimate success" by the measure of many. Sure, the ultimate goal is to win the Cup, but 96.66% of NHL teams fail to do that every year.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Like I just said in another thread, the Rangers (post-lockout) are probably viewed as a successful franchise around the league. Assuming they make the playoffs this, which I think they will, they'll have made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years with a lone miss on the last day of the season. They've made the Eastern Conference Finals, they've a Vezina winning goaltender, they've won playoff rounds. Aside from those that won the Cup (and, some of those wins came because teams had VERY lean years leading to great draft picks) since the lockout, the Rangers have been a "sustained legitimate success" by the measure of many. Sure, the ultimate goal is to win the Cup, but 96.66% of NHL teams fail to do that every year.
I'm not so sure about this. They've won 4 playoff rounds in 7 seasons. And making the playoffs doesn't really imply success to me because more teams make the playoffs than don't.

04-05-2013, 10:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
How is four playoff round wins in 7 years sustained success? In 8 years, they finished in the top half of their conference once. This isn't the Sharks, who are a top team every year and fall just short in the playoffs.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:34 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
How is four playoff round wins in 7 years sustained success? In 8 years, they finished in the top half of their conference once. This isn't the Sharks, who are a top team every year and fall just short in the playoffs.
I said that 7 years in the playoffs out of 8 is successful. It is by most measures around the league.

Conference Finals since the lockout:

'11-12 NYR NJD/ PHO LAK
'10-11 Bruins TB/ Sharks Wings
'09-10 PHI MTL /Sharks Hawks
'08-09 Canes Pens/ Wings Hawks
'07-08 Pens Phi / Wings Stars
'06-'07 Ott Buf / Wings Ducks
'05-'06 Canes Sabres / Ducks Oilers
'04-05 TB Phi / Flames / Sharks

So, how many teams have gone as far as the semi-finals since the lockout?

East: NYR, NJD, Bruins, TB, PH, MTL, Canes, Pens, Ott, Buf =10
West: PH, LAK, SJ, Det, Chi, Dallas, Anaheim, Oilers, Calgary = 9

19 different teams in 8 years, the Rangers being one of them.

Now, let's take that a step further and name teams that have made the semi-finals, not finals, more than once: Phi, TB, Pens, Canes, Buffalo (interesting that only two of those has won the Cup) and in the west: Wings, Hawks, Ducks, Sharks. I'll give you Wings, Hawks, Ducks, Sharks, Bruins, Phi, Canes as more successful than the Rangers because the Sabres and TB are crappy for the past few years.

Who else would you rate higher than the Rangers? The Devils? Their playoff record since the lockout is close to the same and I don't think they make the playoffs this year and the Rangers will. In any case, I'd put the Rangers top 10-12 in the league since the lockout. That's successful to me. Would I rather be like Detroit? Sure. But everyone would. And they might not make it this year, either.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I said that 7 years in the playoffs out of 8 is successful. It is by most measures around the league.
How is that a measurement of success when more teams make the playoffs than don't?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How is that a measurement of success when more teams make the playoffs than don't?
Simple probability?

Old
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
How many teams in the years preceding this year have made the playoffs more often than the Rangers?

Old
04-05-2013, 10:42 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Answer: 2

Sharks and Wings.

And if that isn't ****ing "successful" then I don't know what is.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
How many teams in the years preceding this year have made the playoffs more often than the Rangers?
When more teams make it than don't what does that really show?

Columbus missing the playoffs every year but one in their entire history is actually harder to do.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:46 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
When only 2 teams out of 30 have made it more than you, what does THAT show?

Old
04-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
That the Rangers have been one of the most consistently mediocre teams since the lockout. Lets pat ourselves on the back.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
That the Rangers have been one of the most consistently mediocre teams since the lockout. Lets pat ourselves on the back.
Mediocre teams don't make it to the ECF's.