HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erat & Michael Latta to the Capitals for Filip Forsberg

Old
04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
wrong on both, if he wanted out Poile would not have matched....
Look, I am going to say how I really feel about this. I would be lying if I didn't say I had wondered about what went on inside Weber's head and where his heart really was during last summer's soap opera, and the one before for that too. I think a good case has been made that both sides misjudged in 2011 which led to arbitration filing, the the one year award, and last year's once in a lifetime contract. However, DP is known and respected around the league as being open to dialogue with his players and their agents. Witness how things were handled with Marty in fact. DP is so open in fact that it arguably hurt him in the Suter fiasco.

In spite of everything said publicly DP wouldn't have matched that offer sheet without assurances at least from his agent that Shea would be every bit the all world player and as committed as he had been before once the deal was done. He would have let the Flyers have him and taken the picks. Who wants someone in your dressing room that will always be dreaming of playing elsewhere? Why would you want to put your franchise, team, and fanbase thru that drama every deadline and offseason if you had the option to get pretty generous compensation now and jumpstart a rebuild immediately?

I see Weber as a guy very much sparing with his words and much more a leader by action. Not fair to assume he does not feel the same type or level of emotions as Fish; in fact as captain and face of the team he may think he should NOT show that kind of a visceral reaction and leave it to others to do. OK, just wanted to get that interpretation out there. My opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Yeah because that's the way Poile has always been as a GM.

For the record Poile would not want a player here with no motivation to be here.
This has been displayed very recently if I remember correctly.

04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the more I think about it, the more I think this trade could be a really good thing, even if FF doesnt end up a rock star.

If this hadnt hapepened and we manage to squeak into the playoffs or at least come close Poile might have had the mindest that we just needed a tweak and not a major upgrade.

With Erat gone, you have to think Poile is now forced to find significant offensive help this summer, and you would think he'd have to do more than just scrape up some waiver wire rejects.

If this move forces Poile to either trade for or pay UFA money for a younger, better winger than Erat, it will be worth it...
I think this will be a good thing for the team. I'm glad Erat came forward and asked for a trade honestly.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think this will be a good thing for the team. I'm glad Erat came forward and asked for a trade honestly.
I suppose it's better than the alternative which would be sulking on the bench and in the locker room, potentially effecting your teammates in a negative way.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Reviled*
Partisan

The real question is: With Erat gone, who now on the Preds has the deepest voice?

Reviled* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:06 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Oh I don't think you can say wrong on both. Look at the timeline here. A Preds team many of us thought could win the Cup last year endures the ugly Rads/Ak incident. Next the team gets bounced out of the playoffs by the Yotes. Then Suter bolts for Minny, and we have Poile wandering around the streets of Nashville with a constant vacant stare on his face from his perceived betrayal. And to add more to this string of ugly, your other superstar cornerstone D-man signs a HUGE front-loaded contract with the Flyers, signalling that it wouldn't be the worst thing to go East.

Hold on the trail of yuck continues with Weber's agent telling the media that Weber wants out, wants no part of a rebuild in Nashville. Now Poile and ownership have absorbed punch after punch to the gut. At the end of all of this, if they let Weber walk then its a truly dire situation for the Predators as a team and as a NHL franchise. Not only could you not keep either Suter or Weber, you send a signal to the rest of the league and its free agents that you really can't afford them either.

They matched Weber because no matter if he wanted to be here or not, they had to. In their eyes then they could have cared less if Weber wanted to be here or not. They matched for the health of keeping this team relevent in the eyes of the league and the eyes of its fans.

Look I hope Weber wants to be here and is a career Predator. I will be happy to be proven wrong. But I don't buy him as a guy who is dedicated and motivated to stay here his entire career.
Really? What makes you think he doesn't want to be here? Give me a reason he's not dedicated at all. He comes to play every night for this team. If he truly wanted out he signs a one year deal and leaves Poile no choice but to trade him. By signing the offer sheet he made the decision to play here or in Philly. He knew we'd match so what's the big deal. You're holding Weber accountable for the words his agent spewed to the media. He said he loves Nahville and its fans. He leads in his own way and if you know anything about him, you won't find a more dedicated professional. Because its not on your terms it doesn't mean it's not true.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Really? What makes you think he doesn't want to be here? Give me a reason he's not dedicated at all. He comes to play every night for this team. If he truly wanted out he signs a one year deal and leaves Poile no choice but to trade him. By signing the offer sheet he made the decision to play here or in Philly. He knew we'd match so what's the big deal. You're holding Weber accountable for the words his agent spewed to the media. He said he loves Nahville and its fans. He leads in his own way and if you know anything about him, you won't find a more dedicated professional. Because its not on your terms it doesn't mean it's not true.
Shrug I'm speculating and I have formed my opinions just like you and others have. You discount his agent, the person he hired (for a quite a bit of money) to represent him. I don't know about you, but in my opinion it's pretty rare to see agents state the intentions of their players only to have said player refute the words of their own agent. No big deal to you? Cool. It's a big deal to me.

I have never said Weber was not a professional. I have never seen him dog it and he was here during the lockout when many others weren't. He is a great player and like I've said before if it turns out my feelings on him are wrong good for him and the Preds.

But because he is a professional does not automatically mean he wants to play here. He knows he was obligated by the contract and that he could not be traded for a year. Those are facts.

Other facts are this. He signed a extremely long front-loaded contract with the Flyers. His agent publicly stated he did not want to be here for the rebuild. The Preds matched. Weber refuted his agent's comments.

Everything else, including your opinions and my opinions are just speculation. Maybe he didn't do the one year deal because the new CBA would hamstring is earning power (which it would have). Maybe it was all just a business decision and Weber will retire a Nashville Predator. Only a few people know the truth and it isn't us.

My feelings on it are based on what I have seen transpire between him and the club over the past couple of years. If you see it another way cool I respect it and agree to disagree.

Let me emphasize that I want Weber to want to be here. I want Weber to lead this team to a Cup. I really hope my feelings are wrong about it.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviled View Post
The real question is: With Erat gone, who now on the Preds has the deepest voice?
Ryan Ellis?

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Ryan Ellis?
haha and they are interviewing him in the intermission right now and I see this thread. lol

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Poile just confirmed at the intermission interview:

Forsberg will be over next week and will be in at least a couple of practices.

Will most likely start his career at wing and possibly work his way in to the center position.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:33 PM
braindead

Poile also said they had FF 5th on their draft board last year.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:43 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Poile also said they had FF 5th on their draft board last year.
And that if they like what they see from him in practice then they will get him in the lineup for a look.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Erat with 14:43 minutes of ice time tonight, no shots.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:03 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Erat with 14:43 minutes of ice time tonight, no shots.
more importantly, how many spins?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:42 AM
Nordic*

In a couple of years Washington will realize their mistake.

Forsberg is the real deal.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
And that if they like what they see from him in practice then they will get him in the lineup for a look.
After years of the Thrashers rushing talent, I hope they don't push him into the big time too soon.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:47 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
After years of the Thrashers rushing talent, I hope they don't push him into the big time too soon.
Pred's have been guilty as well with high end forwards... wilson and smith recently and hartnell and upshall previously.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wilson wasn't rushed. He played 40 games in the AHL at 21 years old after playing 2 years of college before he played in the NHL. Smith was 22 years old before he played in the NHL.

Last edited by triggrman: 04-05-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
braindead

Disagree. He leveraged the coming out of college early card and started with the preds. Only sent down for a part season- didn't take the road through Milwaukee. You can argue he was ready but his early play suggests otherwise.

Under your logic, college is a substitute for the ahl and age is the defining criteria for whether someone is rushed. I think skipping a development step when your game suggests you need it is rushing.

Last edited by braindead: 04-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm going to say he wasn't rushed. BTW, he did go to Milwaukee, for 40 games. He also wasn't given top ice time early or big responsibility early.

Kane 19, Toews 20, Parise 21, Kesler 21, Vanek 21, Ryan Suter 20, Perry 20.

Those are just players I randomly selected some I knew were college players. Where they all rushed too?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
braindead

Rushed means played too soon in the role in the league, nothing more. If you think Smith and Wilson looked ready the way that list of guys did, that's ok. I'll also readily admit we are using hindsight on all of them. Still, it seems pretty clear to me that wilson and smith would have benefited from playing top line minutes and learning the pro game at the ahl level and that list is much, much, much longer than the other list.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Rushed means played too soon in the role in the league, nothing more. If you think Smith and Wilson looked ready the way that list of guys did, that's ok. I'll also readily admit we are using hindsight on all of them. Still, it seems pretty clear to me that wilson and smith would have benefited from playing top line minutes and learning the pro game at the ahl level and that list is much, much, much longer than the other list.
Smith was promised a roster spot in the NHL to entice him to leave school early, which he didn't want to do. I do think we're seeing the results now, as he's essentially been useless this season.

Wilson, I think, was ready from the start. His issues have been more Trotz-imposed than anything, but it seems he's turned the corner.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:24 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Smith was promised a roster spot in the NHL to entice him to leave school early, which he didn't want to do. I do think we're seeing the results now, as he's essentially been useless this season.

Wilson, I think, was ready from the start. His issues have been more Trotz-imposed than anything, but it seems he's turned the corner.
That's pretty much what I think too.

Smith probably could had used some seasoning in the NHL but there's always going to be a growing period with Trotz.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:41 AM
braindead

2-1, you guys win! However IMO Wilson's defects were in his defensive game and would have been addressed more quickly and effectively with the ads. To me he and smith were in almost identical situations. I fully agree wilson has turned the corner, which gives me hope for smith who still has big upside.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I go back and forth on Smith. At times he looks like he gets it, others he looks lost.

I don't know if he's strong enough physically to ever be a center though.