HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
04-05-2013, 09:32 AM
VayaConDios

vCash: 500
With Smithson arriving soon Ryan will either be back on the wing or in the box so its not that big of an issue.

VayaConDios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Smyth is painful to watch and is hurting the team. He needs to be bought out if he doesn't retire. He's had a great career, but he just can't keep up anymore.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by VayaConDios View Post
With Smithson arriving soon Ryan will either be back on the wing or in the box so its not that big of an issue.
Who comes out though? Petrell has been playing like he wants to be here for the next 3 years and Jones at least has some speed to burn. Don't think Oilers management has the guts to waive Smyth.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:42 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Who comes out though? Petrell has been playing like he wants to be here for the next 3 years and Jones at least has some speed to burn. Don't think Oilers management has the guts to waive Smyth.
Smyth should never play in back-to-back games, and he should really be in the pressbox for every 2nd game (or more). Too old, too slow. The extra rest might do him a world of good, it did last time.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:42 AM
hemskysuncle

Keep Smid and Yakupov. All the rest should be bought out. Useless d-bags

but seriously, it is strange what some people are writing...quite drastic i would say.

There are some players that I would trade from the team, or would rather they not be there. Belanger is #1. if not for his faceoffs, he is one of the most useless veterans still getting ice time in the whole league. Others:
Whitney
Peckham
Smyth - myonly gripe with him is how much they pay him. he is good in the room but that isn't worth that much.
Horcoff...well i would keep him if his salary was cut in half.

I don't know why people would want to get rid of:
Hall - seriously? a top ten scorer in the league and you want to forget about him? If he has topped out already, we still have a top ten scorer.
Eberle - Lady Byng finalist and he is not worth keeping?hmmm
Petrell - he was not acquired to score, nor to fight, but he gives a very solid 4th line, reasonable 3rd line option to the coach. I see nothing wrong with his game when compared to what is expected of him

these are strange choices.

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:04 AM
trent_vinyl

There's no way he should have been playing in back-to-back games. And if I ever see him come down the left side and try that wimpy slap shot of his, I swear I'm going to lose it. It is the most ineffective play ever!

I'd be embarrased looking at myself on tape after a game like that.

trent_vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Everest

It is both weird & frustrating that they believe Smyth is the most convertible wing<>centre we have.

Im betting the logic goes something like: Because Smitty is already struggling to be a relevant winger...the team won't miss him anywhere.

Personally...Id be double shifting Hall and mixing in a couple other guys, like Paajarvi, for those 4 line centre shifts.

Bottom line is...Smithson can't get here soon enough.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Stoneman89

Not to worry. Jerrod Smithson is on the way and I think will likely spell Smyth off some. Can hardly wait to see a big hitting body like that combining with Petrell and Brown for a real physical unit.

Stoneman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
There's no way he should have been playing in back-to-back games. And if I ever see him come down the left side and try that wimpy slap shot of his, I swear I'm going to lose it. It is the most ineffective play ever!

I'd be embarrased looking at myself on tape after a game like that.
He scored with that type of shot on Andy Moog in the 1997 playoffs against Dallas and it turned out to be the game winner in OT, so he figures it's a real weapon.

Stoneman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Smyth is painful to watch and is hurting the team. He needs to be bought out if he doesn't retire. He's had a great career, but he just can't keep up anymore.
Don't expect either. Maybe they can convince him to be a player/coach in OKC. Sorta like Bucky did.

I doubt it. Smyth still thinks he is a top six guy.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Smyth shouldnt even be on the team anymore. he's like an AHL vet out there now who gets a call up. has some wisdom of the game and makes an OK play here and there but can't keep up. it's too bad because he still deserves a lot of respect for his history with the team and loyalty to the area - but has to realize its time to hang it up.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Don't expect either. Maybe they can convince him to be a player/coach in OKC. Sorta like Bucky did.

I doubt it. Smyth still thinks he is a top six guy.
One would think Smyth would want to stay in Edmonton. Shouldnt be hard for our managment to find him a spot with Oilers somewhere... Maybe assistant coach the Oil Kings.

I dont like this thread.. The guy deserves much better ..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:37 AM
ales83fan

Smyth is complete garbage this year. He gave it his all, and I respect that, but the tank is empty. He needs to realize this and move on.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:38 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

If he doesn't retire at the end of the year I hope they try sending him down to the Barons during training camp next year. That would probably force him to retire.

Good teams don't keep around bad players for sentimental reasons.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
If he doesn't retire at the end of the year I hope they try sending him down to the Barons during training camp next year. That would probably force him to retire.

Good teams don't keep around bad players for sentimental reasons.
yes.. lets hold onto bashing him until next year. I am sure Smyth will retire after this season.. The guy can look around the locker room and realize that he'll be in tough to make the club next year.
If he doesnt.. the pitchforks can come out... til then.. we as fans should try to stay classy and let him round out his career.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
nitz

vCash: 543
The Oilers will keep him on the roster. No way they will buy him out or make him sit.

This organization has made enough enemies with former players over the years. They don't need another one.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
yes.. lets hold onto bashing him until next year. I am sure Smyth will retire after this season.. The guy can look around the locker room and realize that he'll be in tough to make the club next year.
If he doesnt.. the pitchforks can come out... til then.. we as fans should try to stay classy and let him round out his career.
Min Dharwal(sp) from CBC kinda suggested to me on Twitter that this is Smyth's "last Hurah", so I would LIKE to think he sees the writing on the, but I'm not sure.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Master Lok

And as expected, the scapegoating continues.

Smyth was -1 last night, yet apparently he's the only one to blame, for not scoring any goals against the Canucks, and for the 4-0 loss. Makes sense.

Apparently benching Smyth last night in favour of Smithson, or Anton Lander would have allowed the Oilers to win.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Matt19Oilers

Bottom line for me is, if the guy was a decent skater, he could probably stick around and be a reasonable 4th liner.

Problem is, he is way too slow. Couple that with some lazy habits, lack of any real physical presence and no offensive upside any more and you've got a player that brings very little to the team.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

Smyth was -1 last night, yet apparently he's the only one to blame, for not scoring any goals against the Canucks, and for the 4-0 loss. Makes sense.

Apparently benching Smyth last night in favour of Smithson, or Anton Lander would have allowed the Oilers to win.
He's not the sole problem, but he's also No kind of solution to anything. He can't skate, isn't phsical and can't bring much to the table.

Will Smithson be a major upgrade? No, but he's an upgrade on Smyth in that respective role and he can bring something to the table that Smyth can't consistantly.

The Problem with Ryan Smyth is he's being counted on for anything and he's Done. I sincerely hope he has the sense to retire at the end of the season, because another year of this level play, or likely worse, would be very embarrassing.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I'm fine with people criticizing Smyth this year. After publicly demanding a trade here so that we were pretty much forced to acquire him, playing like crap for half of last season and then playing hardball with the Oilers in the offseason instead of being grateful that we even brought him back, he deserves to be criticized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
The Oilers will keep him on the roster. No way they will buy him out or make him sit.

This organization has made enough enemies with former players over the years. They don't need another one.
If Smyth can't realize that he is hurting the team and gets upset with the Oilers for sitting him, that's his problem.

We shouldn't be held hostage by bad players because we are afraid of hurting their feelings.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
dnicks17

He needs to pull a Dougie Weight and retire and take a spot behind the bench.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Baggers

If Smyth doesn't retire this offseason, I would fully support the Oilers using one of their compliance buyouts on him - I still think Belanger and Eager can return some kind of asset, even if it's just future considerations.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

there is LITERALLY nobody in this thread saying anything like this (except you of course)

Old
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
If Smyth doesn't retire this offseason, I would fully support the Oilers using one of their compliance buyouts on him - I still think Belanger and Eager can return some kind of asset, even if it's just future considerations.
eager and belanger both have reasonable contracts, so i could see some teams willing to give up a 7th rounder on one of them, or picking them up on waivers