HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR/CBJ] Gaborik, Delisle, Parlett to Columbus for Brassard, Dorsett, J. Moore, 6th

Old
04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
dethomas07

vCash: 500
im not saying gaborik is not dynamic bc he is!! but to say hes the more creative player then nash is just silly.. both players are so different in every way.. gaborik avoids contact, finds open spaces and has the quickest release in the league.. he doesnt skate with the puck, doesnt hit, forecheck etc.. nash on the other hand goes at contact.. hes a power fwd, gaborik is a pure sniper.. both are very amazing players.. i was just questioning gaborik being creative bc he def isn't, we saw how amazing he is over the last 3.5yrs.. nash has him beat in that area forsure.. Gabs doesnt get his teamates going like nash can, which is why i was arguing that he isn't creative or more creative then nash..noway!

i am just an old school hockey player that likes physical players, which nash is over gabs.. also you can't look at stats as everything.. they are very close.. and you can argue gabs has played on much better teams then nash in previous years.. the good thing is columbus is a pretty good team right now and in the playoff hunt, which they havent been when nash was there all those years.. at the end of the day both these moves help each team.. nash is more a torts guy and gab prob fits you guys more..

trade helps both teams!!

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
There were a lot of people in the Rangers board heavily criticizing Gaborik and questioning his continued ability going forward.

The thing with Gaborik is you're gambling he returns to form. At his best, he's much more productive than Nash. But he hasn't been lately.
Im gambling that he is going to play better with Prospal, and not around John Tortorella. Having the wrong coach can have an adverse affect on a player.

TSA0402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Im gambling that he is going to play better with Prospal, and not around John Tortorella. Having the wrong coach can have an adverse affect on a player.
You mean the "wrong coach" under whom Gaborik produced arguably the two best years of his career? A change of scenery will be good for him, I think. But Tortorella was not the problem.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
There were a lot of people in the Rangers board heavily criticizing Gaborik and questioning his continued ability going forward.

The thing with Gaborik is you're gambling he returns to form. At his best, he's much more productive than Nash. But he hasn't been lately.
Not necessarily. Columbus didn't even have a 30 goal scorer on the 50 man contract list. Sure there may be some potential but nothing that is proven. If Gaborik nets 30 goals per year at the expense of Brassard we've absolutely upgraded this team. If he "returns to form" it's gravy.

This is a solid trade for both teams, I'm not saying otherwise. Columbus moved pieces they could afford (two weren't playing and the other was an enigma in a position of depth). We didn't have a true top line talent. I get that Gaborik wasn't playing well with the Rangers and may have appeared to have lost a step but coming to the Columbus lineup devoid of offense it was a breath of fresh air to see a skill level like that - even if it was only one game.

Most people recognize that one game isn't going to define each player. We have history to pull from for averages and if that's anything close to what we get in Gaborik this trade is spectacular for Columbus regardless how it turns out for the Rangers. Brass wasn't going to be a 70 pt player in Columbus and as I said the others two players were expendible. I hope they all do well for the Rangers but as a fan, my only concern is how Gaborik works out.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
You mean the "wrong coach" under whom Gaborik produced arguably the two best years of his career? A change of scenery will be good for him, I think. But Tortorella was not the problem.
And the same coach who ran him out of town, to the point he was willing to waive his NMC to Columbus. Its a what have you done for me lately league, unfortunately.

There must be some serious issues there, it wouldnt be surprising if this is a real motivator for Gaborik.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
im not saying gaborik is not dynamic bc he is!! but to say hes the more creative player then nash is just silly.. both players are so different in every way.. gaborik avoids contact, finds open spaces and has the quickest release in the league.. he doesnt skate with the puck, doesnt hit, forecheck etc.. nash on the other hand goes at contact.. hes a power fwd, gaborik is a pure sniper.. both are very amazing players.. i was just questioning gaborik being creative bc he def isn't, we saw how amazing he is over the last 3.5yrs.. nash has him beat in that area forsure.. Gabs doesnt get his teamates going like nash can, which is why i was arguing that he isn't creative or more creative then nash..noway!

i am just an old school hockey player that likes physical players, which nash is over gabs.. also you can't look at stats as everything.. they are very close.. and you can argue gabs has played on much better teams then nash in previous years.. the good thing is columbus is a pretty good team right now and in the playoff hunt, which they havent been when nash was there all those years.. at the end of the day both these moves help each team.. nash is more a torts guy and gab prob fits you guys more..

trade helps both teams!!
This is the biggest change in his game. Because his feet are not as quick and likely his shoulder not being completely healthy his release has suffered. He is not suprising goalies and overpowering them with his shot. In his first year with the Rangers he scored mostly on snap shots that were either perfect or hit the goalie somewhere but had enough velocity to find their way into the net. He doesn't score like that anymore. His shot is routinely stopped without a rebound (he almost always shoots high) and his effectiveness on breakaways is gone. He will score some in Columbus because he still has good skills but IMO they are not elite anymore. Nash, on the other hand, it still very dynamic and makes his linemates better most games. Nash is the better player both offensively and defensively at this point in their careers. I really hope Gabby does well as is a class act and a good teammate.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
And the same coach who ran him out of town, to the point he was willing to waive his NMC to Columbus. Its a what have you done for me lately league, unfortunately.

There must be some serious issues there, it wouldnt be surprising if this is a real motivator for Gaborik.
This. I think Torts is one of the worst coaches in the league all he does is scream at his players when they lose, and is best friends with them when they win.

As a Wing fan, I think Columbus made out perfect in this deal and are a better team because of it. Columbus is on the up, they have made great deals going back to last year in trading Nash.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:

Gaborik fell out of favor because his production slipped. It's not the other way around.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:35 AM
DM23BK30

The relationship between Torts and Gaborik has been love/hate since the beginning. Even during his best seasons, there were stretches where Torts would bench/demote him for one play.

To Torts' credit -- everybody is accountable. There is no star treatment. I think Gaborik never liked how he was treated, but he maintained his professionalism and kept quiet.

It wasnt until this year where he made suggestions to the press that he was unhappy with Torts' handling of his play (the line shuffling/demotions etc)

His two worst seasons post-lockout were within three years of each other and under Torts. Since the lockout, when healthy, Gaborik never played like he did in all of 2011 and all of 2013.

I think he lights it up in Columbus. The guy is a superstar.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Not necessarily. Columbus didn't even have a 30 goal scorer on the 50 man contract list. Sure there may be some potential but nothing that is proven. If Gaborik nets 30 goals per year at the expense of Brassard we've absolutely upgraded this team. If he "returns to form" it's gravy.

This is a solid trade for both teams, I'm not saying otherwise. Columbus moved pieces they could afford (two weren't playing and the other was an enigma in a position of depth). We didn't have a true top line talent. I get that Gaborik wasn't playing well with the Rangers and may have appeared to have lost a step but coming to the Columbus lineup devoid of offense it was a breath of fresh air to see a skill level like that - even if it was only one game.

Most people recognize that one game isn't going to define each player. We have history to pull from for averages and if that's anything close to what we get in Gaborik this trade is spectacular for Columbus regardless how it turns out for the Rangers. Brass wasn't going to be a 70 pt player in Columbus and as I said the others two players were expendible. I hope they all do well for the Rangers but as a fan, my only concern is how Gaborik works out.
Well, if he continues as he has, you get a 22 goal scorer who will net 2 or 3 hat tricks a year, score in clusters, and disappear for long stretches. So even at 30 goals per year, it's a gamble.

Not saying it's a bad gamble by any means, though. While I'm admittedly higher on this trade now than I was a few days ago (winning puts me in a good mood) it is not a move that I would have made because I think Gaborik is a gamebreaker and I think the possibility of him returning to 40 goal form is quite real. With that said, I truly did believe that something had to change on the Rangers because it wasn't working- and something has.

Hopefully it can be a good move going forward for both teams.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Machinehead
Because Rongos

vCash: 50
Moore might quietly be the biggest piece for the Rangers. We've been looking for an answer at 6D for almost 2 seasons. Right now with Staal hurt, Moore bumps Eminger into that spot and he's worlds better than other guys we've tried like Hamrlik and Bickel.

When Staalsy comes back Moore will slot in as a great 6D and Eminger as one of the better 7D's in the league and a guy I always trust to come in for injuries. Everything looks great on the backend with the Moore addition.

Stop being so salty
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Moore might quietly be the biggest piece for the Rangers. We've been looking for an answer at 6D for almost 2 seasons. Right now with Staal hurt, Moore bumps Eminger into that spot and he's worlds better than other guys we've tried like Hamrlik and Bickel.

When Staalsy comes back Moore will slot in as a great 6D and Eminger as one of the better 7D's in the league and a guy I always trust to come in for injuries. Everything looks great on the backend with the Moore addition.
The important thing for Moore is that he gets playing time and does well with the coaches.

In Columbus this year he was a healthy scratch more than is probably best for his development due to logjam we have at defense. Contrast that with last year where, due to injuries, he lead CBJ defensemen in games played.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:58 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're watching the wrong players, because Marian Gaborik is one of the least creative players I have seen. That's not to say he isn't effective, but he does what he does well; get the puck on his stick and shoot it. Nash is the creative player. And certainly the more well-rounded, complete player. Even if you want to qualify everything with the whole "I'm basing it off of what I saw in Minnesota/that one time with the Rangers" it's pretty stupid to come in here and assertively claim something off of what you saw five years ago and once or twice recently.
to be fair, i was speaking about the two times recently that i've seen those players in person, where you see what the guy is doing away from the play as well as when he has or is near the puck. both were disappointing and floaty, both avoided contact like the plague, both had incredible flashes of brilliance where they took over the game for short spurts, but both didn't seem to give a crap about the outcome.

i've seen a lot more of gaborik, because he was in our division, than nash, but i've seen a lot of nash too when he was in the western conference. i watch every canucks game. i'm basing this off the observation that gaborik has better offensive vision and is the better playmaker. i see much less of both guys now that they're out east, or in gaborik's case, when he was in the east, but in most cases you can develop playmaking ability, but there's also the question of vision, which can't easily be taught. if nash is far far better as a playmaker now than he was in columbus, then good for him and good for you guys. but my observation all these years is that he'd rather stickhandle through the entire opposition twice than make the easy pass because he has limited offensive vision. ryan kesler, for example, can do things to generate more chances for his linemates and he even hit 50 assists that one year, but he will always be a tunnel-vision kind of guy offensively. i felt the same about nash, though obviously nash is the far superior offensive player.

now of course gaborik isn't MSL or pat kane obviously, but he was a much better playmaker than nash when he was in columbus (but what elite winger isn't?) but in any event, that's what i meant by creative and well-rounded offensively.

ultimately, i could care less about either player and i feel like i've stepped into some weird blood feud between new york and columbus fans so this is me backing out of this thread and leaving you guys to whatever it was that you were doing.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
ultimately, i could care less about either player and i feel like i've stepped into some weird blood feud between new york and columbus fans so this is me backing out of this thread and leaving you guys to whatever it was that you were doing.
It's interesting you bring up playmaking because here's a quote from Todd Richards right after last night's game:

Quote:
Gaborik had shown bursts of speed on just about every other shift. Asked after the game to describe Gaborik's effect on the game, Richards paused and gave a thoughtful and textured response.

"Playmaking. The threat. I think he backed off their defensemen through the neutral zone," Richards said. "You watch the way they play, and they have a tight game. But the threat of his speed wide and his playmaking ability backed them off and opened up some space in the neutral zone.
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...mic-debut.html

Old
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Gaborik fell out of favor because his production slipped. It's not the other way around.
Most of the team had a drop in production. Gaborik can be a streaky scorer, and your sample is pretty small.

That, and Gaborik seems to have waived his NTC pretty quickly, something had to have been happening. I think that qualifies as more than just falling out of favor. Gaborik is the type of guy who could have scored 10 goals in the next 15 games.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Most of the team had a drop in production. Gaborik can be a streaky scorer, and your sample is pretty small.

That, and Gaborik seems to have waived his NTC pretty quickly, something had to have been happening. I think that qualifies as more than just falling out of favor. Gaborik is the type of guy who could have scored 10 goals in the next 15 games.
I think Gaborik's comments on TSN's tradecenter show speaks volumes:

"It's a new challenge for me. I enjoyed my time in New York of course. But when somebody wants you and somebody tries to trade you, you know its good that somebody actually wants you on the team. So I decide this way."

Pretty damning that there was a problem between Rangers coaching/management and Gaborik.. so much so that he didn't feel they wanted him on the team.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Levitate

Quote:

Both of them say there weren't serious issues and Tortorella went out of his way to praise Gaborik and say that he will miss him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
This is the biggest change in his game. Because his feet are not as quick and likely his shoulder not being completely healthy his release has suffered. He is not suprising goalies and overpowering them with his shot. In his first year with the Rangers he scored mostly on snap shots that were either perfect or hit the goalie somewhere but had enough velocity to find their way into the net. He doesn't score like that anymore. His shot is routinely stopped without a rebound (he almost always shoots high) and his effectiveness on breakaways is gone. He will score some in Columbus because he still has good skills but IMO they are not elite anymore.
This was a definite worry and we'll have to see how it pans out in Columbus. His shot has looked very very lacking this season (except his slapshot is still good, he just hardly ever uses it) . It may be too early to tell if that's his skill falling off or if it's something he'll get back into shape over the summer. He *should* still be good around the net, he scored a lot of goals there last season, so even if his shot isn't what it used to be he will hopefully still score around the net for Columbus.

I also feel like his ability to carry the puck has taken a hit, for reasons unknown. Might be a confidence issues but he really struggled this year to have the puck on his stick for more than a second and it was very easy for defensemen to separate him from the puck. Very easy. From what I saw of last nights game, that is still an issues but he at least has had some more drive to the net in the past couple of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The important thing for Moore is that he gets playing time and does well with the coaches.

In Columbus this year he was a healthy scratch more than is probably best for his development due to logjam we have at defense. Contrast that with last year where, due to injuries, he lead CBJ defensemen in games played.
Basically as long as Moore doesn't consistently **** up and make horrible turnovers, Torts will give him some slack. Also, if he can effectively push the puck up the ice through the neutral zone, that will earn him a lot more slack. His skating ability already will grant him some leeway with Tortorella, because Torts really hates it when his defensemen are too slow to keep up defensively and can't move the puck effectively for the transition.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post

"It's a new challenge for me. I enjoyed my time in New York of course. But when somebody wants you and somebody tries to trade you, you know its good that somebody actually wants you on the team. So I decide this way."

Pretty damning that there was a problem between Rangers coaching/management and Gaborik.. so much so that he didn't feel they wanted him on the team.
There obviously was. He was the goat for the team. Richards played worse and he didn't get the same amount of benchings. I'm guessing the locker room is a country club atmosphere.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:51 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
There obviously was. He was the goat for the team. Richards played worse and he didn't get the same amount of benchings. I'm guessing the locker room is a country club atmosphere.
I don't think it was a locker room issue as much as it was a Tortorella issue. Tortorella and Richards go way back..

Old
04-05-2013, 03:02 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
This. I think Torts is one of the worst coaches in the league all he does is scream at his players when they lose, and is best friends with them when they win.

As a Wing fan, I think Columbus made out perfect in this deal and are a better team because of it. Columbus is on the up, they have made great deals going back to last year in trading Nash.
I'm not a huge Torts supporter by any means. I'm really pissed that the rangers choose to go with what he wants rather than what's best for the team, but you are absolutely wrong in regards to "all he does."

I understand how to an outsider this may seem like the case. But if you think he's A) not an adequate coach and B) doesn't do anything outside of scream at his players after losses and act nice when they win, then you really aren't familiar with him.

He's not a perfect coach. But he's really not a bad one either. I think he wears thin after a couple of years, but I'll tell you one thing, he has a game plan. For a team like the Rangers, who up until he took over, never had an identity, he has molded that. It means a lot to fans like me who for the past decade and a half have watched the rangers run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Again, not perfect and i'm not even a hardcore advocate at this point because of the current season. I don't like the Gaborik trade, i'm hoping to be proven wrong, but i'm open to see what he does with the new guys who are much more his flavor. It's clear Gabby wasn't which is OK if his system works. He got us further (and yes, it was largely due to his system) than we have been since we won the cup. That can't be overlooked by people.

Quote:

So much speculation on your end. The rangers traded him. That says they don't want him....pretty clear cut. He's saying somebody tries to trade you, aka, Gabby had to waive his no trade. So if he doesn't wave it, he stays with a team that didn't want him. Instead he's going to a team that did want him. So he decided to wave. You're reading between the lines and making assumptions.

I see you post a lot on our boards and that's cool, it's impossible not to have a little bias, but honestly, i don't think their was as big an issue as people are making it out to be. Gabby wasn't a full blown torts kinda guy, but i don't think there was a disrespect between the two.

Last edited by 16 To Stanley*: 04-05-2013 at 03:08 PM.
16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
So much speculation on your end. The rangers traded him. That says they don't want him....pretty clear cut. He's saying somebody tries to trade you, aka, Gabby had to waive his no trade. So if he doesn't wave it, he stays with a team that didn't want him. Instead he's going to a team that did want him. So he decided to wave. You're reading between the lines and making assumptions.

I see you post a lot on our boards and that's cool, it's impossible not to have a little bias, but honestly, i don't think their was as big an issue as people are making it out to be. Gabby wasn't a full blown torts kinda guy, but i don't think there was a disrespect between the two.
Yeah, definitely agree with this. I think Gaborik has been really frustrated this season by his lack of scoring, and I think Tortorella has been frustrated by it too and by trying to find a way to get more out of Gaborik and get him going. I think it was two guys frustrated with the situation and at a loss, but there's no animosity between them and like I said before, Torts said a whole lot of nice stuff about Gaborik that he certainly didn't have to say after the trade.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:

Not really sure where I speculated as much as you claim about anything, or made any assumptions.. (or where I was biased, but that's okay.. meanwhile, I like how you don't bother responding to the Rangers fan that agreed with me ).. all I did was post his quote and say, as you pretty much agreed, Rangers didn't want Gaborik anymore.

There was obviously a rift between coaching/management and Gaborik. Whether that was disrespect or "not a torts kinda guy".. coaching/management didn't want him there anymore and Gaborik clearly felt that. From watching other interviews and how quickly he waived his no trade clause, I don't think the trade deadline was the first time he felt that animosity. It's been the writing on the wall for awhile this season.. many assumed he would be traded at the draft, don't think Gaborik and his camp came to the same conclusions?

Trades happen sometimes because they think the players they acquire will improve their roster.. and other times because a team thinks they need to get rid of a roster player for various reasons. I think this was a case of the latter though the Rangers got decent value. Gaborik was benched many times this season. He was demoted recently to the bottom 6 for a few games. Deserved or not, the message was sent loud and clear that Gaborik was no longer valued on the Rangers.

Big issue? Probably not or he would have been out sooner. I think this Rangers team with Gaborik (+ Clowe) is better (and a safer shot to contending) short-term than this Rangers team with Brassard, Moore and Dorsett (+ Clowe). Based on that, I was surprised they didn't wait until the draft to trade him.. especially since his value would have been nearly the same and they would have a better chance at getting a 1st round pick out of it.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Heard on the radio that Gaborik talked on Wednesday to Prospal and Nash about coming to Columbus. Both said he would really like it here and would like the team.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:10 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Not really sure where I speculated as much as you claim about anything, or made any assumptions.. (or where I was biased, but that's okay.. meanwhile, I like how you don't bother responding to the Rangers fan that agreed with me ).. all I did was post his quote and say, as you pretty much agreed, Rangers didn't want Gaborik anymore.

There was obviously a rift between coaching/management and Gaborik. Whether that was disrespect or "not a torts kinda guy".. coaching/management didn't want him there anymore and Gaborik clearly felt that. From watching other interviews and how quickly he waived his no trade clause, I don't think the trade deadline was the first time he felt that animosity. It's been the writing on the wall for awhile this season.. many assumed he would be traded at the draft, don't think Gaborik and his camp came to the same conclusions?

Trades happen sometimes because they think the players they acquire will improve their roster.. and other times because a team thinks they need to get rid of a roster player for various reasons. I think this was a case of the latter though the Rangers got decent value. Gaborik was benched many times this season. He was demoted recently to the bottom 6 for a few games. Deserved or not, the message was sent loud and clear that Gaborik was no longer valued on the Rangers.

Big issue? Probably not or he would have been out sooner. I think this Rangers team with Gaborik (+ Clowe) is better (and a safer shot to contending) short-term than this Rangers team with Brassard, Moore and Dorsett (+ Clowe). Based on that, I was surprised they didn't wait until the draft to trade him.. especially since his value would have been nearly the same and they would have a better chance at getting a 1st round pick out of it.
I can't respond to your whole quote because I'm at work (****ing busy day) but I think the whole contract issue really scared the team. They saw a pretty good deal with 3 pieces that the Rangers actually really needed right now! So essentially they opened one hole while filling three. With Staal out they needed a D-man that wasn't as bad as Hamrlik and Eminger who have both been disasters. They had no grit this year, so Dorsett will help with that and Boyle/Powe as the 3rd and 4th centers just weren't cutting it.

So again, while i don't fully like the move in the moment, will see how it plays out. Gaborik needed to go in the off-season regardless, maybe they would have gotten a pick maybe they wouldnt have. Remember, Sather was involved with a similar deal just last year, but on the other side, in Nash. Nash's trade value went down at the draft and Howson ended up getting less than the supposed initial offer (per outside sources.)

At the end of the day, we don't really know, maybe a team throws out a big offer desperately, but I think they probably got as much as they thought they could, while filling significant holes and allowing flexibility to sign Steps, McD and Hags, and potentially Clowe as well.

Again, I think it's much more relative to the situation rather than any attitude/management hate towards Gabby. He was one of the best goal scorers to put on a Ranger uniform but sometimes the math just doesn't work in your favor.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
I can't respond to your whole quote because I'm at work (****ing busy day) but I think the whole contract issue really scared the team. They saw a pretty good deal with 3 pieces that the Rangers actually really needed right now! So essentially they opened one hole while filling three. With Staal out they needed a D-man that wasn't as bad as Hamrlik and Eminger who have both been disasters. They had no grit this year, so Dorsett will help with that and Boyle/Powe as the 3rd and 4th centers just weren't cutting it.

So again, while i don't fully like the move in the moment, will see how it plays out. Gaborik needed to go in the off-season regardless, maybe they would have gotten a pick maybe they wouldnt have. Remember, Sather was involved with a similar deal just last year, but on the other side, in Nash. Nash's trade value went down at the draft and Howson ended up getting less than the supposed initial offer (per outside sources.)

At the end of the day, we don't really know, maybe a team throws out a big offer desperately, but I think they probably got as much as they thought they could, while filling significant holes and allowing flexibility to sign Steps, McD and Hags, and potentially Clowe as well.

Again, I think it's much more relative to the situation rather than any attitude/management hate towards Gabby. He was one of the best goal scorers to put on a Ranger uniform but sometimes the math just doesn't work in your favor.
I agree with the "opening one hole by filling three" but IMO, it's harder to fill a hole of Gaborik's caliber than of Brassard, Moore, etc. Players like Gaborik are rare... not many score 40 goals often.

As a Devils fan, I'm pretty happy with the trade. I think it makes the Rangers less scary/competitive overall but extends their 'window' by a year or two (I was previously of the opinion that they would be a heavy contender for the cup this year and next year.. now I think they can still get back to that status but it's going to take another move or a breakout or two but they're a safer bet at competing for another 3-4 years). They would have been okay salary wise next year unless Clowe is asking for the moon (and the more I read about it, the more that seems like). I don't expect any of the RFAs to get huge paydays.

This trade is basically a flip of the Nash trade. People on this board blasted Howson for that trade.. but the Rangers gave up a lot IMO. Roster players are more valuable than futures. Columbus also gave up a lot in terms of depth players. Back to square one, essentially last year's team with Nash instead of Gaborik.

Would I take Nash over Gaborik? Personally, no. Nash has impressed but Gaborik has the higher peak. Couldn't get there this year but if I'm building a contender, Gaborik's a guy I want on my team. What I've seen this year from Nash is that he needs the puck on his stick to be super-effective. He's not the type of player that will sneak into open ice, receive a pass and snipe it top corner. Don't get me wrong, Nash has an incredible skill-set and is among the best players in the league... but Gaborik scares you with and without the puck. You can gameplan for Nash, he's most dangerous when he has the puck and you're already focusing on him. You can't do the same with Gaborik who opens up ice for his teammates because opponents need to make sure they know where he is and have him covered even when he doesn't have the puck.

The biggest thing from this trade is that Tortorella isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This was a complete vote of confidence in Torts. This was "we're going to trade our 40 goal scorer because he doesn't fit with the style of players you want." Now he has more of his type of players.. but at a decent expense.