HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYI at Caps. 7PM. 4.4.2013: Playoffs?!

Old
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
This is the first year where we have a coach that is actually focusing on the fundamentals. They still make a boat load of mistakes, but its been better than years past.
Indeed. You need to learn to walk before you can run.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Our defense is garbage. It has been bad for a while, and I've been saying it for a while. But it's certainly not as good as it's been in fifteen years, or whatever BobRouse was saying. Hell, it's not even as good as the unit we had last year. I'd take functional a Hamrlik over Hillen any day of the week, and Hunter's system emphasized Schultz's strengths and masked the mobility concerns with Schultz, Hamrlik, and Erskine. Even as much as we hate Wideman, he could at least get the puck out of the defensive zone.
Holy Chef's Salty Meatballs Batman!!!

Wow so much to say here...

Dennis Wideman was god awful since the Allstar break. He couldn't skate, stopped producing offensively and was a turnover machine.

Schultz getting a jersey over Erskine and playing alot was brutal.

Green's effectiveness is far greater this year.

Erskine is FAR better this year.

So essentially you are saying that:

Wideman/Schultz/Hamrlik >> Erskine/Hillen/Oleksy

I completely disagree. We are far far FAR more physical with the latter and they are not nearly as turnover over prone as Wideman alone.

Schultz+Wideman cost us dearly last playoffs.

Also with Kundratek and Poti (sometimes) there is at least more decent depth.

Again yet another poster who reveals himself as not valuing physical play and toughness.

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-05-2013 at 11:11 AM.
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
What is draft position based on: standings seeding or playoff seeding? (assuming we do not win a round).
Standings (with division winners at the bottom, so not just points-based) with the exception of 27/28 are conference finalists, 29 is cup finalist, 30 is cup winner.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

The defense is better than last year and they've had to be, because the Hunter system is no longer protecting a REALLY BAD defensive corps. The emergence of guys like Oleksy and Kundratek and to a degree Erskine help the cause. A lot of the "stay at home" guys are pretty consistent. It's the "puckmovers" you have to worry about on any given night, imo.

But that still doesn't mean they're great, or even good enough to go deep. Time will tell.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
The defense is better than last year and they've had to be, because the Hunter system is no longer protecting a REALLY BAD defensive corps. The emergence of guys like Oleksy and Kundratek and to a degree Erskine help the cause. A lot of the "stay at home" guys are pretty consistent. It's the "puckmovers" you have to worry about on any given night, imo.

But that still doesn't mean they're great, or even good enough to go deep. Time will tell.
No they aren't perfect. But they are the best D group we've had since the Cup run:

Tinordi/Johansson
Gonchar/Reekie
Witt/Klee
Housley

Are they as good as those guys overall? Probably not.

But name on group we've had as good since?

Old
04-05-2013, 11:15 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
I'm sorry, but have you been paying attention to this franchise for the last, oh, almost 40 years?

You can't think of ANY reason why Caps fans would be skeptical and guarded?
^^^^^^ This, this, one million times this!!!!

The Caps have played well enough to win the SE about 5 out of the last 6 years. That's basically what they are doing right now. But winning the SE has meant absolutely bupkis in the playoffs. Presidents Trophy = First round bounce. Favorable first round matchup = Swept in the 2nd round. 2-4 in game 7s.

GMGM hasn't fixed the flaws that lead to those playoff disappointments. He's tried. He's tinkered. He's even panicked and we're now on our 4th "system" (3rd coach) in 3 years.

Everyone on here would freely admit we're playing better than the team that started this season in last place. Big effing deal. What the veteran Caps fans are talking about is the fact that we're not playing like, or built like, a real Cup contender, and just sqeeking into the playoffs by virtue of the pathetic SouthLeast division doesn't satisfy them anymore. Sending a misfit roster with holes galore into the playoffs where every team we'll face will have a better record than us, is not cause for wild celebration. Is it better than finishing 9th? Sure. Will it really help us win a Cup? Not really. Did GMGM just mortgage our future a little because he believes this roster deserved investment in it today? Yep, that's what just happened, but we're still skeptical.

We've seen this movie before. We know how it ends. And if we're all wrong about it and we win the Cup this year, you can kick us all off the board... I'll take that bet and pay that price... happily.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
No they aren't perfect. But they are the best D group we've had since the Cup run:

Tinordi/Johansson
Gonchar/Reekie
Witt/Klee
Housley

Are they as good as those guys overall? Probably not.

But name on group we've had as good since?
Wait, was I arguing with you?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
What is draft position based on: standings seeding or playoff seeding? (assuming we do not win a round).
Ye of little faith.

But I was thinking the exact same thing, by winning the southleast do we screw ourselves in draft positioning if we are bounced in the first round.

I like to look at this site http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Now the site as it's currently displayed is from two days ago so it hasn't made the adjustments based upon last nights game, but it would suggest the Caps having the 16th pick currently.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
marcel snapshot

Just to horrify everyone, let's recall this crew:

Witt/Morrisonn
Heward/Muir
Biron/Majesky
Eminger

That's like architectural malpractice.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Lose game. People complain.
Win game. People complain.
3rd in southeast. People complain.

You guys need to get a grip. So what if we won ugly? I rather win ugly then lose looking good.
"Fans" at their best
Well said. Good teams win ugly too...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:26 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Biggest issue with winning ugly is what it says about their future chances. Take the win, but that's not a pretty picture of the team.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Biggest issue with winning ugly is what it says about their future chances. Take the win, but that's not a pretty picture of the team.
Ugly got us to the 7th game of the 2nd round last season.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Ugly got us to the 7th game of the 2nd round last season.
I think Holtby got us there, but even that and this are two different brands of ugly honestly.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
calicapsfan
NFA

I would very much like to Carlzner reunited for a game. They've struggled together thus year for sure, but over their short careers they've played their best D together. They have wicked chemistry and should get another shot.

As for Hillen, meh. Don't hate him, don't love him. I really don't understand demoting Orlov. Very mysterious.

Given the roster, I want to see this:

Erskine - Green
Carlzner
Orlov/Hillen - Oleksy

calicapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
No, I just like crisp fundamentally strong hockey. The Caps are one of the more flat teams around the league and their success is largely predicated on the opposition having shakier team play.

My chief concerns would be the overall make-up of the D and their PK. The PK to this point is the worst performing group since the '04-05 lockout. Think about those other teams and other personnel. They got the job done last night but it's just bad generally. If there's one area where gamer Carlson is needed it's there because he's been the worst at it along with Backstrom.

Re: Draft pick placement the division "winners" are seeded after everyone else, ordered by standings points and then 27-30 go to the CF/SCF teams so they're likely looking at a pick in the area of 21-25 as SE champ.
Agree the pk is bad.

I think its clear the team has improved big time. SE division or not. Even in loses the team is still not getting blown out or failing to make a simple pass.

Top line is a force right now.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
No, I just like crisp fundamentally strong hockey. The Caps are one of the more flat teams around the league and their success is largely predicated on the opposition having shakier team play.
My chief concerns would be the overall make-up of the D and their PK. The PK to this point is the worst performing group since the '04-05 lockout. Think about those other teams and other personnel. They got the job done last night but it's just bad generally. If there's one area where gamer Carlson is needed it's there because he's been the worst at it along with Backstrom.

Re: Draft pick placement the division "winners" are seeded after everyone else, ordered by standings points and then 27-30 go to the CF/SCF teams so they're likely looking at a pick in the area of 21-25 as SE champ.
Completely disagree. The Caps fundamentals look better this year than they have in many years, perhaps in as long as I've followed the team (15 years).

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
marcel snapshot

I don't understand the Orlov thing either, but neither Dale nor Oates have trusted him, and I respect their analysis. My guess is he gets himself out of position a lot - making him too much of a "bug" in each of their respective systems.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Well said. Good teams win ugly too...no
not company policy. remember that for oates playing right is more important than results.
somebody should ask oates if he wants to give the two points back?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not company policy. remember that for oates playing right is more important than results.
somebody should ask oates if he wants to give the two points back?
15 scoring chances on 22 shots at the beginning of the 3rd probably isn't ugly for Oates.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I don't understand the Orlov thing either, but neither Dale nor Oates have trusted him, and I respect their analysis. My guess is he gets himself out of position a lot - making him too much of a "bug" in each of their respective systems.
I would think that was Jim Johnson making that analysis last season for Dale and I would respect his analysis.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Acallabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
But 1 GA

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
But 1 GA
I see your 1 GA and raise you a +50...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
NoMoreChoking

Remember all those times we looked amazing only to end up losing in the playoffs?

Just win. All that matters.

Also, why the hate for hillen? He did great last night against 91. I remember multiple times him being a pain in the ass for him

NoMoreChoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:14 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Wait, was I arguing with you?
No you were agreeing with me. Just wanted to reinforce the point.

We've had some bad D corp between 98 and now. Real bad.

With Carlson and Alzner emerging things have gotten better.

Erskine and Oleksy add a different dimension that we have largely neglected over the years.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
15 scoring chances on 22 shots at the beginning of the 3rd probably isn't ugly for Oates.
I remember in the late 80s to thru the mid 90s we'd routinely outshoot the Pens heavily when we played them. The Pens were an east west team and really didn't rack up SOG. But the looks they got combined with their immense skill would translate for a rough save percentage for the opposing goalie.

I remember at the begining of 87-88 season (in the offseason we grabbed Hunter) we were struggling mightily to score goals. I remember a home game vs Detroit where we lost 1 or 2-0 while throwing up some 40 SOG. The fans were booing the team off the ice and throughout the 3rd when it was getting late.

The next day they were analyzing as they do on ESPN and I recall there was an expanded discussion about the Caps and why the couldn't score despite all those shots (it was a recurring trend throught the beginning of the season for that years Caps). Clement basically said its either their lack of finish or you have to question the quality of their shots.

The 09-10 team was different. Not only did they put up a ton of shots they got great looks and chances too. Much like the 91-92 team.