HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames rebuffed trade offers from 25 different teams for Curtis Glencross

Old
04-05-2013, 09:36 AM
ZacUSNYR

vCash: 500
I heard 30 teams called St. Louis about Wade Redden.

ZacUSNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
madmike77

I doubt he would have waived his NTC to go to another team.

Plus you do want to have some competent veterans to help school younger players during a rebuild. I can see why they kept him.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:08 AM
blankall

I'm fine with keeping him. Much rather have him than a package of lesser assets. The only way I'd consider moving him is if a top prospect was on the table, like Conacher, which it probably wasn't.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I doubt it was 25 teams. I could see a good amount of teams have interest though.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Patty Roy

Man wouldn't you try to make a deal with Feaster if you could?

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:40 AM
mavstar
I hate Nucks' fans

Who's the captain of the Flames now that Iggy is gone? Are the Flames seriously banking on Iggy coming back for next season? I don't know anything about Glencross, but based on his on-ice performance and skill-set, I'd think Glencross would be a great choice for captain.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:43 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Especially the one in Buffalo. Extensively.
He was probably talking to Robyn Regher thinking it was Darcy...

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavstar View Post
Who's the captain of the Flames now that Iggy is gone? Are the Flames seriously banking on Iggy coming back for next season? I don't know anything about Glencross, but based on his on-ice performance and skill-set, I'd think Glencross would be a great choice for captain.
No one is, and the most likely candidate is Giordano. Glencross doesnt strike me as a leader one bit.

Ideally, we run no captain next year, Mackinnon comes in and is so good, we give it to him ala Landeskog.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
meh... Glencross took a pretty big discount in signing the deal he currently has, and got the NTC for it...

he loves where he lives & has lifestyle/family ties to the area. Probably made it clear to Flames that he had no desire/intention to waive the clause, and in this case they were smart enough not to leak it out to the media that they wanted to move him but couldn't b/c of him.

hard to believe that Brodie or Giordano were kept b/c of the "we're rebuilding with them" reason as opposed to the "we didn't get a good enough offer in return for them"...
You have to keep some vets on (Gio) to stabilize the team for youngsters, so it makes sense from that end. Brodie, however, is perfect for the "we're rebuilding with them" category; he's been in the Flames' top 4 for almost the entire season, has a comparatively amazing shot differential, and even spent a few weeks on the top pairing with JBo. He's very good positionally (and fast enough to get into position when needed), and smart as hell with the puck (distribution skills are fantastic as well); the only real negatives about him are that he's not the strongest guy and he doesn't shoot enough (nor does he have a cannon of a shot, although it's decent).

He hasn't had to single-handedly carry a top 4 pairing yet, but he is, at the very least, an effective two-way complimentary top four guy. And I think he's got the capability to become a top pairing defender. His numbers don't blow anyone away though, and he's not physically imposing, so I don't think a lot of people outside of the Flames realize how good he actually is.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:47 AM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavstar View Post
He strikes me as too much of a grumpy guss for full capitancy. If they choose a captain for next season, my money would be on Giordano, assuming Iginla doesn't win a cup and come back to the Flames.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:48 AM
palindrom

So that mean they didn't get a single offer worth taking it?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
kasper11

Some teams never learn.

Glencross is signed for two more years after this. Calgary is not competing next year, probably not the year after. So why not move him now when his value is at its highest?

We will probably see him moved two years from now at the deadline for a 2nd round pick and b-level prospect.

Calgary's big rebuild...move two players for first round picks (ensuring that they are both not lottery picks in the process) and call it a day.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Some teams never learn.

Glencross is signed for two more years after this. Calgary is not competing next year, probably not the year after. So why not move him now when his value is at its highest?

We will probably see him moved two years from now at the deadline for a 2nd round pick and b-level prospect.

Calgary's big rebuild...move two players for first round picks (ensuring that they are both not lottery picks in the process) and call it a day.
So we should just throw the out a team of rookies year after year? Man that will build confidence.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Schenn Bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Feaster rejected them when he saw they had offered too much
Feaster rejected them when he found out none of the offers had players with a name ending in "Owski"

Super Schenn Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Any team contending should've asked about him, obviously. Not a lot of top 6 forwards make $2.5M
Why keep a 30 year old that lots of teams want if you are re-building? Calgary should have went full out rebuild. Glencross, Tanguay, Cammy...they could have had 2 more 1st and a 2nd + for those guys.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
He was probably talking to Robyn Regher thinking it was Darcy...
Christ. That made me laugh out loud.

"Hello Jay... This is Mr.Regehr."
"Oh!! Hi Darcy!! What would you like?!"
"No Jay, it's Robyn."
"Darcy?"
"It's Robyn... How are you doing?"
"No Curtis is not available."
"What? Who? What are you talking about."
"Ok Darcy, I have to go. Yzerman is calling. Gotta let him know Curtis is staying put. I don't even know who this Conacher kid is."
"Ok... Bye.."

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Why keep a 30 year old that lots of teams want if you are re-building? Calgary should have went full out rebuild. Glencross, Tanguay, Cammy...they could have had 2 more 1st and a 2nd + for those guys.
Again and iced what exactly?

Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
So we should just throw the out a team of rookies year after year? Man that will build confidence.
Cammaleri, Tanguay, Hudler, Stempniak, Giordano, Wideman, Sarich are all signed for next year. None has the trade value of Glencross.

Add in a few decent low-profile UFA signings and you have enough veteran support for your prospects.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Fan Of Every Anton
Volchenking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'm fine with keeping him. Much rather have him than a package of lesser assets. The only way I'd consider moving him is if a top prospect was on the table, like Conacher, which it probably wasn't.
Iggy and Bouwmeester didn't even fetch a prospect like that, so I think probably could be reworded as definitely.

I still think some decent value could have been had for him. If that many teams really called I'm shocked there wasn't a single offer worth taking.

Fan Of Every Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:03 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Cammaleri, Tanguay, Hudler, Stempniak, Giordano, Wideman, Sarich are all signed for next year. None has the trade value of Glencross.

Add in a few decent low-profile UFA signings and you have enough veteran support for your prospects.
Personally I think Cammy is going to get moved for help on defense and Sarich isn't nhl defenseman we couldn't give him away. They may have been offers but simply because there are offers doesn't mean any of them were good for all we know it was 2nd + decent prospect. Glencross has become a very good leader off the ice and is part of the leadership group going forward, Tangauy and Cammy are most likely to be moved for help on defense. Glencross and Gio are the only Flames outside of Sarich that have been here for a while the management team wants them to represent what the Flames are going forward a physical hard working team.

It is easy to say move him for 1st ++ but unless that was offered and GlenX wanted to move it wouldn't have happened.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
SmellOfVictory

A major aspect of Glencross' contract was not simply stability, but specifically staying in Calgary. I doubt he'd have waived his NMC for anywhere except possibly Edmonton.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
Iggy and Bouwmeester didn't even fetch a prospect like that, so I think probably could be reworded as definitely.

I still think some decent value could have been had for him. If that many teams really called I'm shocked there wasn't a single offer worth taking.
You can't compare Jbo to GlenX, Jbo makes 6.6 next most teams wanted Calgary to keep salary in order to get a quality prospect, ownership said no to that. GlenX wouldn't need his salary kept.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post

Iginla had only one available trade target, was pending UFA, and Conacher's not as good as people think he is. Bouwmeester was poorly handled in terms of return, and his cap hit was an issue. GlenX fits well under the cap and is signed for a couple of years longer; only issue is the NMC.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:09 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

If the asking price was a first and a top prospect--I can see whym there were no takers

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
So that mean they didn't get a single offer worth taking it?
No - likely means Glencross wouldn't waive his NTC. He signed with Calgary for a serious discount and it sounds like he wants to stay.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote