HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban's play since coming back Part 2

Old
04-05-2013, 10:29 AM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Forget a possiblity...it's a probability at this point. As long as he keeps it up, why shouldn't he win it?

He's absolutely dominant right now...even on Antichambre last night, Mathieu Darche was talking about Subban and said that after the Boston game, Jeff Halpern sent him a text saying "PK is a top 3 dman in the NHL right now"

Let's not kid ourselves...if PK played for any other team than the Habs, he'd be the runaway favorite right now (with all due respect to Suter/Letang)
Nah, I think he is getting what he deserves. Fans of other franchises are always going to say he isn't the best, but that doesn't mean that is what they think. Watching Subban, you see how he is just doing everything so effortlessly, he gets points because he realizes that a puck on net has a chance to get home with the players in front of him. Last night isn't the greatest example, the jets really suck on D.

Between you and me, we know he will be a finalist. As it stands today, he wins. A lot can change in 13 games, but he I do not see his play hurting his chances.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Nah, I think he is getting what he deserves. Fans of other franchises are always going to say he isn't the best, but that doesn't mean that is what they think. Watching Subban, you see how he is just doing everything so effortlessly, he gets points because he realizes that a puck on net has a chance to get home with the players in front of him. Last night isn't the greatest example, the jets really suck on D.

Between you and me, we know he will be a finalist. As it stands today, he wins. A lot can change in 13 games, but he I do not see his play hurting his chances.
I just happen to think that if Subban played for a different team and had a different 'personal profile' he'd be getting a lot more praise for how he's played this year.

To think the guy is basically at a PPG pace in a season where he missed 6 games working out his contract, taking care of business defensively, etc...yet when the media/experts talk about him, they keep saying he 'might' deserve a Norris Trophy nomination

Give me a break...like I said earlier, PK Subban is just an inconvinient truth for many people. They won't be able to deny how good he is for very much longer, and what's even better this year is that he's toned down on some of the other stuff that allows people to assasinate his character to take away from how effective a player he is.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
HabsSlappy

Subban is simply one of the most dominant players in the league this year.

He does pretty much whatever he wants on the ice and only a handful of times has he been stopped. He imposes his will on other players.

I put him in the elite of NHL right now. I am talking on par with Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Weber, etc....

I also believe that anyone that doesn't believe this is kidding themselves.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

A lot of people still have a hard time giving him credit. I mean even Therrien said that he ''could become'' a very great Dman.
You hear people speak of him in the media and he's getting more credit from people you never thought you support him, but you still see hesitation in some.

I knew PK had the potential to be a top NHL player, I knew he could maybe challenge for the Norris on a great season at some point, and I knew it would happen sooner rather than later due to his crazy development progress (seems to develop 2years within one for the past few years), but I didn't think he had the potential to really become the NHL's best Dman but I believe it now.
He just looks unstoppable out there, and we're only talking about a 23yo. There's really no argument to be done that there's any other Dman in the NHL playing better than PK now. You can say some are equal, but better? No.
Such a special player, and as much as I'm trying to let it go, I can't believe some people didn't want him signed long term.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:43 AM
habdynasty

Remember a couple months ago one poster said P.K. had low hockey IQ. lol lol lol lol

P.K. is great!!

habdynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Are you seriously telling me you couldn't parse gonzo's sarcasm?

Thanks for clearing that up...not that it really needed to be cleared up. Well, apparently it did, for 1 person with a non-existent sarcasm detector.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
Remember a couple months ago one poster said P.K. had low hockey IQ. lol lol lol lol

P.K. is great!!
The kid is amazing, and he is ours!!! I wished MB had given him a 5yr 25M deal back when that's what they were asking....gonna cost us at least 6.5 to 7.0M on his next contract...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!

Whatever the cost, you sign him Habs for life and retire his jersey. He's the best player the Habs got since Guy Lafleur.

SmurfsFTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
I just happen to think that if Subban played for a different team and had a different 'personal profile' he'd be getting a lot more praise for how he's played this year.

To think the guy is basically at a PPG pace in a season where he missed 6 games working out his contract, taking care of business defensively, etc...yet when the media/experts talk about him, they keep saying he 'might' deserve a Norris Trophy nomination

Give me a break...like I said earlier, PK Subban is just an inconvinient truth for many people. They won't be able to deny how good he is for very much longer, and what's even better this year is that he's toned down on some of the other stuff that allows people to assasinate his character to take away from how effective a player he is.
Well some people like to keep certain memories locked in their minds for a bit too long. The best part about Subbans success is that he is willing to learn and won't let anything get in his way. Most of the media and fans are looking for stupid details to discredit him. I couldn't believe my eyes when a poster mentioned ice time as a factor that could hurt Subbans chances. The way I factor in icetime has more to do with depth than it does with individual talent. Look at last year, Subban is much better this year, but is playing less minutes. It's quite clear that with the depth of the D last year, the coach had to overcompensate.

It would think it's an outrage if he isn't at least nominated.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:54 AM
DenverHabsFan

If Subban is not the favorite for the Norris right now, then who is? The usual finalist, Chara, has HALF the number of points. Out West, I can't think of a D who's having a Lidstrom-type of season.

EDIT: I guess there's always Sheldon Souray at +26...

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:57 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
A lot of people still have a hard time giving him credit. I mean even Therrien said that he ''could become'' a very great Dman.
You hear people speak of him in the media and he's getting more credit from people you never thought you support him, but you still see hesitation in some.

I knew PK had the potential to be a top NHL player, I knew he could maybe challenge for the Norris on a great season at some point, and I knew it would happen sooner rather than later due to his crazy development progress (seems to develop 2years within one for the past few years), but I didn't think he had the potential to really become the NHL's best Dman but I believe it now.
He just looks unstoppable out there, and we're only talking about a 23yo. There's really no argument to be done that there's any other Dman in the NHL playing better than PK now. You can say some are equal, but better? No.
Such a special player, and as much as I'm trying to let it go, I can't believe some people didn't want him signed long term.
Well to defend Therrien, which I am not accustom to, in Montreal a great Dman is a player that will dominate night in and night out, year in and year out. I think what Therrien means by saying that Subban can be great, is that he may have his name up in the rafters with some other greats. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but that is what I think he meant. Having a good year doesn't make you great. Having a great year doesn't make you great. (See Cheechoo)

Well the fact that a lot of people here have no idea how to run a business. They have no idea the logic of having a 7+ million dollar defensemen making less. The best part is there rebuttal: "If he deserves 7 a year, than I am happy that his cap hit is 7 a year..." I find it really disheartening that I took the time to explain how PK can make 7 a year at a cap hit of around 5.5, but they never seem to read how it works... With 2 contracts we can have him making the money he deserves while saving money. The last contract is back loaded. The next contract is front loaded. The 2nd contract ends when he is around 33-34, so an extension is always possible.

Anyways, it's just obvious to me that those who didn't want to sign PK long term either didn't watch him play, saw Gomez contract and were afraid that the scenario would repeat itself or quite frankly have no idea how to make a simple budget.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
If Subban is not the favorite for the Norris right now, then who is? The usual finalist, Chara, has HALF the number of points. Out West, I can't think of a D who's having a Lidstrom-type of season.
Suter is the best option in the West, and he's having a really good season. He's Subban's only competition ATM.

And if Letang comes back from injury, he has a chance to push Subban for the trophy.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Suter is playing very well and needs to be considered. Although the way he was deked by Dan Boyle was quite pathetic. (Boyle scored on the play, find the video if you can). One bad play does not ruin a season, but when those who will say that Suter is better defensively than Subban, I will have to show them that.

edit: much easier to just put it here myself

Old
04-05-2013, 11:00 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

EDIT: I guess there's always Sheldon Souray at +26...
He could be a PPG this year. The only two guys on his level offensively, Letang and Karlsson, are both injured too.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well some people like to keep certain memories locked in their minds for a bit too long. The best part about Subbans success is that he is willing to learn and won't let anything get in his way. Most of the media and fans are looking for stupid details to discredit him. I couldn't believe my eyes when a poster mentioned ice time as a factor that could hurt Subbans chances. The way I factor in icetime has more to do with depth than it does with individual talent. Look at last year, Subban is much better this year, but is playing less minutes. It's quite clear that with the depth of the D last year, the coach had to overcompensate.

It would think it's an outrage if he isn't at least nominated.
The minutes argument is pretty dumb...first of all, the Habs regularly use 6 dmen. So he's not going to play the near 28 mins per game that Suter does because the Habs don't need him too

Furthermore...if Subban is accomplishing all of this in just under 23 mins a game, can you imagine what he'd be doing if he was playing as much as Suter and others?

The minutes argument actually works in his favor

Old
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

Don't get your hopes up, after he wins the Norris they'll simply say that it's only because Letang/Karlsson got injured, or that he wouldn't have been able to keep it up over an 82 game season. People in denial have a very very hard time letting go.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
I want to see Subban at the end of the year with a Norris, Conn Smyth and a ring. Anything less is a disappointment!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Don't get your hopes up, after he wins the Norris they'll simply say that it's only because Letang/Karlsson got injured, or that he wouldn't have been able to keep it up over an 82 game season. People in denial have a very very hard time letting go.
Well I happen to think that even at his current pace, and even though he'll deserve it...he won't win it.

Norris Trophy is voted on by journalist and Subban just isn't a popular player among media types

Old
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Suter is playing very well and needs to be considered. Although the way he was deked by Dan Boyle was quite pathetic. (Boyle scored on the play, find the video if you can). One bad play does not ruin a season, but when those who will say that Suter is better defensively than Subban, I will have to show them that.

edit: much easier to just put it here myself

Suter looked like Gonchar in that video...brutal d coverage...

Can you imagine if Subban was that weak on a play like that? The media and the Antichambre gang would go gonzo...

Old
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Well I happen to think that even at his current pace, and even though he'll deserve it...he won't win it.

Norris Trophy is voted on by journalist and Subban just isn't a popular player among media types
He's scoring at the rate pace or higher than what Karlsson did last year, and is more physical and dominating in his own end of the rink. If he continues what he is doing now there is no way he can be denied the Norris. I just can't see it.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:23 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
He's scoring at the rate pace or higher than what Karlsson did last year, and is more physical and dominating in his own end of the rink. If he continues what he is doing now there is no way he can be denied the Norris. I just can't see it.
And a HUGE payday...

Old
04-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
And a HUGE payday...
Pay your star players what they're worth.

Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Pay your star players what they're worth.
but only after the bridge contract!

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sorinth

Quote:

The media also generally places too high an emphasis on goals/points which helps Subban to a certain extent. I think it's either Subban or Letang, the longer Letang is out the more it cements Subban as #1.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
And a HUGE payday...
well if that's the case...it's because earned and deserved it

why the obsession with getting players on thrifty deals?