HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos: now, next year, future, etc

Old
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Gleb2006

vCash: 500
3-5 years
Moulson - JT - Strome
Lee - Nelson - Niño
Grabs - Nielsen - okposo/bailey
Martin - cizikas - McDonald

Maybe flip second and third

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:46 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Grabner is in the team's long term plans. View him as a top trade candidate in the offseason or next season. But again, probably just me.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Grabner is in the team's long term plans. View him as a top trade candidate in the offseason or next season. But again, probably just me.
No way Grabner is a once in a generation player. He has to stay.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Hipster Doofus

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Bailey-Neilsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
Yeah, I don't agree on the once in a generation thing, but do feel he is a core player His Speed is an attribute that is unmatched and he uses it to his advantage and will be able to do so for plenty of years. he has 3 years left on his deal and makes a few bucks more than Nielsen and Okposo. I think the Islanders value him just fine. Capuano on the other hand, not so much, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Grabner stays in long island longer than capuano.

I don't like giving up toolsy guys that have certain traits that set them apart. I wouldn't think the Islanders trade standout snipers like Tavares or Strome, nor would the deal a jet like Grabner, nor a HUGE Power Forward like Anders Lee, or a scrappy sparkplug like Cizikas. If a trade comes, I think a trade comes from the less toolsy less standout-ish group of Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, or perhaps Nino Grouping.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Just the way the team uses him 5 on 5, never getting a glimpse of the top 6 despite being the 3rd best scorer on the team, makes me think he's expendable once the team feels confident with Lee/Cizikas/Martin/Ullstrom/McDonald in the bottom 6. And Nielsen probably is the 6th guy in that rotation. That leaves 7 players - Moulson/Tavares, Strome/Nino/Nelson/Bailey/Okposo - as "top 6" guys, not to mention Boyes possibly in the mix again next year.

I am quite confident we'll see a trade of at least one of these forwards in the next 12 months, and I have a feeling Grabner is the guy the team would prefer to move, as well as having the most value around the league.

Again, just some speculation.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
startainfection

nielsen will not be on this team for long after nelson becomes a regular, maybe 1 season, 2 at the absolute most

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Macch

Quote:
His speed maybe generational, but as a player not so much. Generational players IMO are the Crosbys, Ovis, Malkins, hopefully JTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
nielsen will not be on this team for long after nelson becomes a regular, maybe 1 season, 2 at the absolute most

Couldn't disagree with you more. As those guys develop Frans may get pushed down the depth chart. In a perfect world he becomes our 4th line center in 3 years. He will be a serviceable NHL player for years and years.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
His speed maybe generational, but as a player not so much. Generational players IMO are the Crosbys, Ovis, Malkins, hopefully JTs

Couldn't disagree with you more. As those guys develop Frans may get pushed down the depth chart. In a perfect world he becomes our 4th line center in 3 years. He will be a serviceable NHL player for years and years.
Here's the thing...Grabner has awesome speed and I would say he is like a poor mans Mike Gartner. If Grabs had good hands, I would say nearly equal..in fact...I would go insofar as to say that if grabs had good hands, he'd be ahead of Gartner based on his two way game as the main focus of the difference.

Grabs needs a specific type of player (IMO) to truly get him to succeed. Sure, he can play with JT, but so can everyone else. I'm trying to find out the linemates of Mike Gartner because maybe that could shed some light into what we would need to get Grabs to play his ceiling.

The main issue is Grabs inability to close the deal on breakaways. Solve this, we solve our secondary scoring needs. Imagine if Grabs had the same scoring percentage as Nielsen does in SOs? His worth would skyrocket. This is like an extra 30-50 goals per year. There are games where he gets like 4 breakaways.

As for generational...I think there are different levels. There is generational like Ovi, Malkin, JT, Stamkos, Seth and then there is phenom..I'd say Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros (although I hate the guy), Crosby and soon to be McDavid. It's the "Phenoms" that are rare. Once per 10 years usually.

Grabs is not any of those two...he does excel the most in speed....What Grabs is to speed is what Moulson is to hand eye co-ordination.
------------

As for the lines and the team itself. If you notice on Capgeek, many of the contracts end around the 1st-2nd year after we move to Brooklyn. I think at that point, we will re-evaluate...keep who we want to keep and trade for pieces to become a contender...We lose nothing really. We will be busting at the seams with regard to prospects the year we move.

To do a trade now, we'd only be trading to fill one weakness, only to be creating another. Our prospect pool is not deep enough at this point in time. By the time Brooklyn happens, most of the pics from last year will be either ready and or almost ready to step in. On top of that we still have the guys we do not. THEN we will use those picks to add what we need and to also pick up future picks so we don't have go through the rebuild cycle again.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:16 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I just posted this in the game day thread after the Capitals game, but it's about getting Tavares a different linemate opposite Moulson, thus I thought I should post it here:

Sorry to arrive to the party late. Just got home and watched the highlights, or the way Tavares was getting beat-up or pushed around, you could say 'low-lights'....

This much is clear, Tavares needs at least one linemate that keeps the other team honest, or at least makes the other team think twice before giving Tavares an extra shot. ONE linemate that does nothing outside of scoring a decent amount of goals (provided by Tavares' passing I may add) is enough. Meaning, neither Moulson nor Boyes hits, fights, plays solid defense or does anything outside of providing decent offensive tools. Moulson is fine, but Boyes needs to be replaced by a guy with more size, and/or hits and stands up for Tavares... Heck, Martin would have almost as many points as Boyes simply by being the recipient of Tavares' passes, and would open up space for Tavares with his aggressive style and hitting ability... if not Martin, perhaps Lee has the size/grit to go along with good offensive skills, to potentially be the type of linemate Tavares needs opposite Moulson... But Moulson and Boyes play too similar a style.. Neither hits nor plays aggressive enough to open up space or protect Tavares. Heck, Bailey may not have the size, but the kid is playing with a determination and passion like no other time in his career before, and he has skill Boyes could only dream of.... Bailey is hitting and driving hard to the net, along with show-casing the skill level we drafted him for in the first place.

Just give Tavares more protection is what I'm asking!!

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:59 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
I just posted this in the game day thread after the Capitals game, but it's about getting Tavares a different linemate opposite Moulson, thus I thought I should post it here:

Sorry to arrive to the party late. Just got home and watched the highlights, or the way Tavares was getting beat-up or pushed around, you could say 'low-lights'....

This much is clear, Tavares needs at least one linemate that keeps the other team honest, or at least makes the other team think twice before giving Tavares an extra shot. ONE linemate that does nothing outside of scoring a decent amount of goals (provided by Tavares' passing I may add) is enough. Meaning, neither Moulson nor Boyes hits, fights, plays solid defense or does anything outside of providing decent offensive tools. Moulson is fine, but Boyes needs to be replaced by a guy with more size, and/or hits and stands up for Tavares... Heck, Martin would have almost as many points as Boyes simply by being the recipient of Tavares' passes, and would open up space for Tavares with his aggressive style and hitting ability... if not Martin, perhaps Lee has the size/grit to go along with good offensive skills, to potentially be the type of linemate Tavares needs opposite Moulson... But Moulson and Boyes play too similar a style.. Neither hits nor plays aggressive enough to open up space or protect Tavares. Heck, Bailey may not have the size, but the kid is playing with a determination and passion like no other time in his career before, and he has skill Boyes could only dream of.... Bailey is hitting and driving hard to the net, along with show-casing the skill level we drafted him for in the first place.

Just give Tavares more protection is what I'm asking!!
I do more than second this sentiment.....Considering that I've already promised a kidney to any chance to get back to Spain permanently, I would gladly give one of my 'two best friends' to get Bobby Ryan here. HE would be perfect for JT. The idea of a Martin - Tavares - Ryan line gives me a raging.....grin..XD....That would be too much to handle, and just about as rude of a line combo as the Bruins could throw.

More talent and more physicality would do JT wonders and maximize the room he has to be creative out there. That would be like.....a "Rage Against The Machine" line......wicked.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:28 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
I do more than second this sentiment.....Considering that I've already promised a kidney to any chance to get back to Spain permanently, I would gladly give one of my 'two best friends' to get Bobby Ryan here. HE would be perfect for JT. The idea of a Martin - Tavares - Ryan line gives me a raging.....grin..XD....That would be too much to handle, and just about as rude of a line combo as the Bruins could throw.

More talent and more physicality would do JT wonders and maximize the room he has to be creative out there. That would be like.....a "Rage Against The Machine" line......wicked.
People in general interest me.... You, from Spain, or at the very least lust to be back in Spain, yet are one of the 200 remaining Islanders fans worldwide... Interesting indeed!! I've never been to Spain but hear nothing but good things, and the history is intriguing indeed!... I just hope that the economy straightens out... The last I heard was a 25% unemployment rate for Spain.. That is horrible and with an unemployment rate like that, you can bet on crime to go up and standard of living to go down.. so maybe you should stay State-side and wait for the Islanders to win a Cup before going back.. the economy should be better by than!

Seriously though, Bobby Ryan is a pipe dream.... we'll have to wait for Brock Nelson to grow into that 6'4 frame of his, or Anders Lee to develop a bit more, or give Matt Martin or Bailey a crack at the first line for awhile....... Get rid of Boyes!! I don't see any room for him next year... and giving Boyes a long term deal a year after we let P.A. Parenteau walk would be embarrassing, especially since P.A. has all the skills that Boyes lacks (hitting, physicality and passion)..

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:08 AM
ekill08x

WHy does everyone still have matt moulson on the top line? This guy is NOT a good hockey player whatsoever and benefits greatly from playing with John Tavares. Hes not physical, he doesn't forecheck, he doesn't have good hands, he can't carry the puck through the neutral zone and hes not a good skater. If it weren't for the fact that hes good at finishing Tavares' dirty work he'd have no career. Im sick of these guys on JTs line. Get the kid real players on his line. Boyes is no better.

ekill08x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
goal1228

Boyes should be moved off of that 1st line. Moulson has to pick it up too. Anyone clamoring for Lee to play on the 1st line is way off base.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Dan-o16

Next year is a hard nut to crack.

Assumption 1: High-profile signing (Horton or Ryder)

Moulson-JT-Horton/Ryder
Bailey/Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner/Bailey-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Lee?

This is the best scenario I can see. Basically, a first line, two second lines and a fourth. I can see Bailey or Grabner playing on either one.

Assumption 2: Low-profile signings

Moulson/Lee?-JT-Strome
Grabner/Bailey-Nelson-PM Bouchard
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Lee?

First line is still undersized, overmatched 5 on 5. Rest of the team is balanced.

Assumption 3: NO Signings

Moulson/Lee-JT-Strome
Grabner/Bailey-Nelson-Nino
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Worst scenario. Honestly, it would suck. Both 1st and third line are overmatced ES. Just like now.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:48 PM
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
Dan-o, signing a guy like Ryder or Horton would be huge for this team, but I have my doubts that will happen. However I can see a trade going down. There are just too many forwards on this team right now and more in Bridgeport. It's clear that an upgrade needs to happen (Specifically on the top line) one way or another.

Even though it was simply a quick phone call, Garth did inquire about Hawks forward Brandon Saad, so I do believe he is looking for a top line forward and is willing to pay, but he has to be young and fit into the youth movement, etc. The problem is how many teams are willing to give up young forwards who can already play top six minutes and be effective at even strength?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:50 PM
seafoam
Surface Envy

vCash: 974
I think the draft will be a good indicator of how this team is going to be shaping up for the future.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
BorzNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Next year is a hard nut to crack.

Assumption 1: High-profile signing (Horton or Ryder)

Moulson-JT-Horton/Ryder
Grabner/Bailey-Nelson-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Lee?

This is the best scenario I can see. Basically, a first line, two second lines and a fourth. I can see Bailey or Grabner playing on either one.

Assumption 2: Low-profile signings

Moulson/Lee?-JT-Strome
Grabner/Bailey-Nelson-PM Bouchard
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald
Lee?

First line is still undersized, overmatched 5 on 5. Rest of the team is balanced.

Assumption 3: NO Signings

Moulson/Lee-JT-Strome
Grabner/Bailey-Nelson-Nino
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Worst scenario. Honestly, it would suck. Both 1st and third line are overmatced ES. Just like now.
I really wonder how Nino fits into our plans. Even though he is having a very nice scoring year in BPT it seems as though Nelson and Strome would be first to get called up over him...

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I think the draft will be a good indicator of how this team is going to be shaping up for the future.
Or at least this offseason will be. Snow must act now they've got something to build on. I think he may very well be up to something

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Katurian

This is what I would like to see next year.

Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
Martin - Nielsen - Grabner
Moulson - Strome - Niño
McDonald - Cizikas - Lee/Nelson

I think you have to start Strome and niño n the third line and make their play earn it to be on the second.

Katurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
boredmale

In terms of our Boyes problem maybe the Islanders should try this

Moulson-Tavares-Aucion
Bailey-Neilsen-Okposo
Grabner-Reasoner-Boyes
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

I know alot of people hate Aucion but he seems to have a similar game to PAP where he goes hard into the corners. He also seems to be a good passer if given space.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Dan-o, signing a guy like Ryder or Horton would be huge for this team, but I have my doubts that will happen. However I can see a trade going down. There are just too many forwards on this team right now and more in Bridgeport. It's clear that an upgrade needs to happen (Specifically on the top line) one way or another.

Even though it was simply a quick phone call, Garth did inquire about Hawks forward Brandon Saad, so I do believe he is looking for a top line forward and is willing to pay, but he has to be young and fit into the youth movement, etc. The problem is how many teams are willing to give up young forwards who can already play top six minutes and be effective at even strength?
Honestly, I kind of think that it went down just like a hockeys future trade discussion. Chicago left a message about Nielsen. Snow called asked about Saad. End of calls.

Or there were back channel word that Chicago wanted Nielsen, and Snow told them what it would cost. That's honestly, all I think there was to that.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Honestly, I kind of think that it went down just like a hockeys future trade discussion. Chicago left a message about Nielsen. Snow called asked about Saad. End of calls.

Or there were back channel word that Chicago wanted Nielsen, and Snow told them what it would cost. That's honestly, all I think there was to that.
I'd keep Nielsen too. Nothing wrong with Saad, but the Isles have much better prospects on the way and Nielsen's a proven NHLer who does so many things well, can play with anyone, will truly help younger players develop.

I wouldn't trade him.

I'm not a huge fan of his offensive game but he can play anywhere in the lineup, against anyone and play well.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'd keep Nielsen too. Nothing wrong with Saad, but the Isles have much better prospects on the way and Nielsen's a proven NHLer who does so many things well, can play with anyone, will truly help younger players develop.

I wouldn't trade him.

I'm not a huge fan of his offensive game but he can play anywhere in the lineup, against anyone and play well.
No doubt. And from Chicago's perspective of a team up against the cap with multiple stars, there's no way they're trading a guy who's producing on the first year of a three year ELC! That's pure GOLD for them.

Basically, I mean to say that both GM's beat each other off like monkeys.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
both GM's beat each other off like monkeys.

awesome.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote