Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Old
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
nickels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
A source close to the Wolves say they are taking Speers, if he is still there with their pick
Speers said no to Sudbury ...they need some size and a Cool kid

nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:19 PM
chewerjones

Sudbury may go off the board and select a kid who wont report, such as a US kid.

They have 18 returning players and the draftee may not crack the lineup next year. So they figure that they would get a compensatory pick the next year when the draft is supposed to be as good or better, and then they will need players to fill holes.

If they choose BPA, they should go with skilled forward, as they have 8 dmen signed for next year, and will most likely try to find an overager to play sturdy, stay at home defence.

I think they go with Mackenzie, if he is around. They have drafted alot of Ottawa area kids in the past. Or they can go with Korostolev.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:27 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Sudbury may go off the board and select a kid who wont report, such as a US kid.

They have 18 returning players and the draftee may not crack the lineup next year. So they figure that they would get a compensatory pick the next year when the draft is supposed to be as good or better, and then they will need players to fill holes.

If they choose BPA, they should go with skilled forward, as they have 8 dmen signed for next year, and will most likely try to find an overager to play sturdy, stay at home defence.

I think they go with Mackenzie, if he is around. They have drafted alot of Ottawa area kids in the past. Or they can go with Korostolev.
I think they only get the compensatory pick if they can trade him before camp, you can't just pick a kid knowing he won't come to the OHL.

BigBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
I think they only get the compensatory pick if they can trade him before camp, you can't just pick a kid knowing he won't come to the OHL.
As long as he doesnt report to camp, you get the compensatory pick.

The objective is to get a good player that other teams want badly, so that you can trade him for picks and prospects, and then get a compensatory pick. Such as Domi and Ebert recently.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:45 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
As long as he doesnt report to camp, you get the compensatory pick.

The objective is to get a good player that other teams want badly, so that you can trade him for picks and prospects, and then get a compensatory pick. Such as Domi and Ebert recently.
Both of those guys were traded. Why wouldn't Kithchener take Macinnis in the 1 st round last year knowing he wasn't able to play for 2 years. And do the players become free agents if team gets the compensatory pick if they don't or can't trade them? I think the players need to be traded to get extra pick.

Old
04-04-2013, 10:53 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Both of those guys were traded. Why wouldn't Kithchener take Macinnis in the 1 st round last year knowing he wasn't able to play for 2 years. And do the players become free agents if team gets the compensatory pick if they don't or can't trade them? I think the players need to be traded to get extra pick.
Of course they have to be traded, to get the compensatory pick, but it doesnt have to be before the season. The team that wants that player, will trade for him and provide draft picks and players.

Old
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
hawks1988
Rookie User

As mentioned above, I think there are some guys on the Rebels that would make for some good value picks in the mid-rounds of the draft. This is what I've seen out of these guys thus far:

Mitch Duggan: a hard working and well-positioned skater, can make a good outlet pass and is not afraid to use the body

Jacob Hayhurst: a speedy centre who is constantly making more room for his teammates. Has a great ability to see the play and has good vision.

Lucas Latina: although injured for the most of the season, he plays the game with an edge and is not afraid to take the body. He uses his build to his advantage and has an accurate shot and a quick release.

To me I believe these would be great sleeper picks for any team looking to add skill and size a little deeper into the draft. I was wondering where some of you guys would rank some of these players?

hawks1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:16 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Of course they have to be traded, to get the compensatory pick, but it doesnt have to be before the season. The team that wants that player, will trade for him and provide draft picks and players.
I think the 1st round pick has to be traded before the season starts. There is a window once camp opens to declare the player as defected and he can only be traded for future picks and no players. Ebert 2-2nd round picks, Domi-3 2nd round picks.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
bobber

Looking at the OHL site video on the draft Darrel Woodley the head scout for OHL Central Scouting says in his 12 years on the job Sean Day is the best skater he has seen coming into a draft. By the sounds of it whoever gets this kid is getting a hell of an asset. If Ottawa passes on him their needs have to greater at the forward position and they are just being pro active. Really doesn't matter to most unless you are a fan of Ottawa I guess.

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:56 AM
jnk96
Sunshiny Optimist

@TSNBobMcKenzie: "@OHLHockey: @Ottawa67sHockey will announce 1st overall pick 2013 #OHLDraft today at 2PM in OTT"/Congrats Elgin-Middlesex's Travis Konecny.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: I'm no OHL draft expert but sounds like tomorrow's draft could go as follows: 1. Travis Konecny to OTT. 2. Dylan Strome to ERIE.
@TSNBobMcKenzie: 3. Matt Spencer (Oakville D) to PBO. 4. Underager Sean Day (Compuware D) to MISSISSAUGA. Always subject to change but that sounds likely.

jnk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beichi10 View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie: "@OHLHockey: @Ottawa67sHockey will announce 1st overall pick 2013 #OHLDraft today at 2PM in OTT"/Congrats Elgin-Middlesex's Travis Konecny.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: I'm no OHL draft expert but sounds like tomorrow's draft could go as follows: 1. Travis Konecny to OTT. 2. Dylan Strome to ERIE.
@TSNBobMcKenzie: 3. Matt Spencer (Oakville D) to PBO. 4. Underager Sean Day (Compuware D) to MISSISSAUGA. Always subject to change but that sounds likely.
There goes our chance at d-man

Mcnotloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

Our OHL Mock draft. Niagara will make or break it. Sounds like McCool or McKenzie.

I'm a big fan of Capobianco so I like Sudbury's pick if they grab him.

Took a flier on Marner to London. Living on the edge...

That's it for me today as far as the OHL Draft goes. Heading to London tonight for Knights vs Rangers.

Enjoy the draft everyone. Hope you team drafts well.

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beichi10 View Post

I still think Ottawa is making a huge mistake.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Torts

wow, still kinda floored day may be there for us steelheads. cant complaing though. lets just hope he turns out to be what everyone is saying he will be.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
wow, still kinda floored day may be there for us steelheads. cant complaing though. lets just hope he turns out to be what everyone is saying he will be.
From where are we gonna get a #1 centre?

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edwards View Post
Our OHL Mock draft. Niagara will make or break it. Sounds like McCool or McKenzie.

I'm a big fan of Capobianco so I like Sudbury's pick if they grab him.

Took a flier on Marner to London. Living on the edge...

That's it for me today as far as the OHL Draft goes. Heading to London tonight for Knights vs Rangers.

Enjoy the draft everyone. Hope you team drafts well.
Marner is a solid choice..if he opts to report. Smallish forward..but skill and speed to burn.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
MisterDB

this is a really good article written by Neate Sager of BTN re Day and the draft system

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...154543445.html

MisterDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post
this is a really good article written by Neate Sager of BTN re Day and the draft system

The main thing I take from that article is the comment about Day's level of competitiveness and hockey sense or lack there of. As the old saying goes..you can't teach heart.. you either have it or you don't. Could this be the main reason he's not going #1?

Old
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post

Really? I think its adding more fuel to a negative perspective. The title of that article is in POOR TASTE. Sean Day was set up by Hockey Canada? What a stretch.

How about this quote?
"Draft day is supposed to be a confirmation for the boy and his support network that all their sacrificing and striving is paying off."

Supposed to be? He is trying to spin it like: The Day network unsure of their sacrifice and the striving not paying off because he may go 4th overall. Thats a joke to me.

The Day family has a ton to be proud about, that support network will feel Incredible when his name is called.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
The main thing I take from that article is the comment about Day's level of competitiveness and hockey sense or lack there of. As the old saying goes..you can't teach heart.. you either have it or you don't. Could this be the main reason he's not going #1?
How do you know he doesn't have heart? Does he not have a game face? Does he not spit his water out properly? Does he not growl when he hits a player? Nothing like trying to pigeonhole a 15 year old kid. Imagine the world if people judged 12 and 13 year olds.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
That's just one persons opinion isn't it?

As I read the article I kep thinking to myself (and the boy tweeted this himself recently) what's wrong with 4th overall or 6th even? Sean tweeted he doesn't care where he is selected, he just wants to play in the OHL.

Good on him, to me that is a good sign of maturity and ultimately whether Travis Konecny is chosen first or the 300th player taken Saturday (299th?) or any free agent, every player from here on in will have to work harder and harder to earn their ice time and develop.

That is the way it has always been.

Good luck to Sean Day going forward.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
How do you know he doesn't have heart? Does he not have a game face? Does he not spit his water out properly? Does he not growl when he hits a player? Nothing like trying to pigeonhole a 15 year old kid. Imagine the world if people judged 12 and 13 year olds.
Like my opinion of a player has any effect on the draft..but then again...I did sway the decision of Ekblad as ROTY last year.

It's not my opinion anyways...just commenting on what I read. I posed it as a question..not a finality

Old
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
That's just one persons opinion isn't it? .
I don't know..is it?

Old
04-05-2013, 01:14 PM
mapleleaf979

Konecny officially #1

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...-first-overall

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:30 PM
OHLTG

I think the article brings up a good point. We've been fed this attitude that Exceptional Player Status means you're automatically number one. When a player is granted EPS, and doesn't go number one, there must be something wrong that we didn't see before. Nevermind the fact that the teams who are picking at the top might not need a player at his position. If that player doesn't go first, people scratch their heads and start wondering. Let the kid be drafted and play the game.

OHLTG is online now   Reply With Quote