Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2013, 10:14 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I'd rather have Pulock instead of Nurse.
Agreed.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Could you imagine Mac and Barkov still on the board, Feaster waddles up to the podium.
"The Calgary Flames are proud to select, from Brynas IF Gavle of the Swedish elite league..."

Although that kid could definitely be dynamite, I'd still QQ about the whole thing.
If that ever happens, Feaster would get run out of town.

Its basically impossible to screw up a top 4 pick this year, if he does...

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
If that ever happens, Feaster would get run out of town.

Its basically impossible to screw up a top 4 pick this year, if he does...
Yeah, not that Lindholm is a bad prospect, id love to have him but if we take him while any of Mac, Drouin, Jones or Barkov is on the board I would be pretty choked.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:50 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

If the St.Louis pick ends up in the 16-20 range we should take Gauthier

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
If the St.Louis pick ends up in the 16-20 range we should take Gauthier
Would not mind this if we ended up with Jones with that 1st pick, but I think we need to look at taking one of Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Hagg with that 2nd pick as we need some defensive help.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Would not mind this if we ended up with Jones with that 1st pick, but I think we need to look at taking one of Nurse, Ristolainen, Pulock or Hagg with that 2nd pick as we need some defensive help.
I agree with you, but let's say that pick is 19th overall or something. I don't know if I see any of this guys being available still. I think Hagg will be a riser.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:18 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I agree with you, but let's say that pick is 19th overall or something. I don't know if I see any of this guys being available still. I think Hagg will be a riser.
Thats true, and in that stretch it may be wiser to just go BPA if there are no reasonable D to take in that area, and then pick up a D with Pitt's pick and our 3rd.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
Giordano?
Giordano is the default #1 for the Flames because someone has to be but I would not consider him a legit #1D

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
dont see how we can pass up on jones if he's there. it seems like an arms race with all these bottom feeders loading up on top offensive forwards (edm, col) yet they cant compete with there
defense. i think we should start the rebuild with a defenceman who can control the play. chances are a top centre comes around next year, we will probably be a bottom team next year aswell .

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I chose Big Mac.

The reason is that no #1 overall defenseman has ever single handily led their team to a cup. But the reverse is true where a #1 center has the ability to do so.
I would say no single player has led their team to a cup.

You take the best possible player no ifs ands or buts. You don't pass on Shea Weber for Nicklas Backstrom (it's a hypothetical...)

It takes a strong team to win a cup. You need strength at every position. Nashville hasn't won a cup with Weber, but Toronto never won one with Sundin

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
SvenBartschi27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeline View Post
Pretty good in the few games I've watched. I really like Erne, he has size and a shot and plays right wing which is another position we lack in. Duclair is good, but we have Baertschi and Gaudreau who are small quick forwards but it would still be nice to have in case Gaudreau gets held back because of his size.

I guess in retrospect I would like to see us pick a defensemen up somewhere in the first round. Not with our first pick though, that I would like to see put towards a C. Maybe someone like Santini with the Pittsburg to play with Sieloff, I'm pretty sure they played in the same system and are both physical D's.
Yeah seems good but id probably take BPA with a center with our top 5 pick aswell. Mackinnon,Barkov either one is fine with me. As for the other 2 take bpa and likely one will be a D im hoping Hagg,Morissey, or Pulock. Adam Erne seems quite good wouldnt mind him with our 3rd pick. What were you thinking we pick Satini with? Also wouldnt mind if Feaster packages the two later firsts to trade up to the 10-15 range and guaruntee a Pulock/Shinkaruk/Morissey.

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Zoombie

If Jones is there when we pick we take him. If he's not, we get a potential top line C which we've needed forever. It seems win - win to me.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Nordberg

I definetely like MacK the best out of all the players in this draft. He really strikes me as the kind of guy you win a championship with. I guess I would be okay with Jones also, but I would really prefer to start building around a big-game centerman. I'm not so sure the Flames will pick Mac though...

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
As an Avs fan, god I hope you guys end up taking a F.

From a Flames perspective, I don't think you guys could go wrong taking either Jones or MacKinnon. Both areas of need for you as a whole. I don't think Drouin would be a good choice for you guys at this point. An argument could be made for Barkov being the right guy, too.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:31 PM
JurassicTunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
As an Avs fan, god I hope you guys end up taking a F.

From a Flames perspective, I don't think you guys could go wrong taking either Jones or MacKinnon. Both areas of need for you as a whole. I don't think Drouin would be a good choice for you guys at this point. An argument could be made for Barkov being the right guy, too.
Yep. I'm still nervous that we'll pick Lindholm with a top 4 pick or someone else off the board.

MacKinnon or Barkov should be the main players we go after. Seth Jones will be great as will Drouin but we've been needing a legit top center for far too long.

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Mackinnon is like Seguin with more skill.

Jones is better than Petriangelo. I cant think of anyone that he compares to, i would say he is better than Doughty even.

His closest comparison is actually Pronger which is insane praise.
He's not better than Petro. IMO, Petro is the all around best dman in the NHL right now. I do think Jones style and level play will be most closely suited to Pronger. Petro reminds me of Lidstrom.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:26 PM
GetThePuckOut

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Feast would take Drouin with the 1st pick.

He and Weisbrod are valuing pure skill and hockey IQ when it comes to scouting, and in those departments it's Drouin AINEC.

Personally I think it'd be a mistake not to pick him. IMO there's not much chance that MacKinnon turns out a lot better, but there is a chance that Drouin becomes a superstar and MacKinnon doesn't.

Drouin is too good not to be a superstar, but that can't quite be said about MacKinnon. Mac might be, but he might not also.

We've got 3-5 years to find a #1 C. No need to pass on BPA outta desperation.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Honestly, my biggest fear is one of MacKinnon & Drouin will be a superstar, and we'll take the other one.

So... pick 1st, and take Jones, or pick 4th and take Barkov.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Remember2004

Realistically where do we draft on draft day? and who is going to be first overall? If its us first overall I believe its a toss up between Jones,Makinnon,Nichushkin, Drouin and even Barkov. If we get 2nd or 3rd even 4th overall hopefully no higher one of the listed are still going to be available. It also depends who is ahead of us too and what their needs are. I say at the draft depending if we have St Louis 1st this year we can maybe flip Cammy for a first if we really want more draft picks in this draft or just wait till the deadline next season. Anyways my order would be 1. Mackinnon 2. Jones 3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin 5 Barkov. Its pretty much a guarantee that we end up with one of these unless the Flames decided to go on a 10 game winning streak OR Feaster doesn't want to pick anyone listed above and decides to go with someone in college... OR we trade down...

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
Realistically where do we draft on draft day? and who is going to be first overall? If its us first overall I believe its a toss up between Jones,Makinnon,Nichushkin, Drouin and even Barkov. If we get 2nd or 3rd even 4th overall hopefully no higher one of the listed are still going to be available. It also depends who is ahead of us too and what their needs are. I say at the draft depending if we have St Louis 1st this year we can maybe flip Cammy for a first if we really want more draft picks in this draft or just wait till the deadline next season. Anyways my order would be 1. Mackinnon 2. Jones 3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin 5 Barkov. Its pretty much a guarantee that we end up with one of these unless the Flames decided to go on a 10 game winning streak OR Feaster doesn't want to pick anyone listed above and decides to go with someone in college... OR we trade down...
Honestly, the draft lottery will determine who gets 1st overall. Even if the Flames do finish dead last there's only a 25% chance they retain first overall pick. I'm fairly confident that Jones is going first overall pick, no matter who's making the pick.

My order of preference is:

1. Jones
2./3. Drouin / MacKinnon (Would probably take MacKinnon before Drouin, but )
4. Barkov
5./6./7. Nichushkin / Monahan / Lindholm (maybe that order but would be happy with any)

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:46 PM
GetThePuckOut

MacKinnon is definitely gonna be a physical beast in the NHL, and will probably score a lot of goals...

But, when I think of a franchise center, I think of two things; vision and playmaking. AFAIK he's nothing amazing in those departments. Pretty much every elite C is an elite playmaker; sans Stamkos, who himself takes criticism for being too one dimensional to carry his team.

That's why I think he might top out as a good #1 C, or a very good #2. But he's no lock to be a franchise C IMO.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Honestly, the draft lottery will determine who gets 1st overall. Even if the Flames do finish dead last there's only a 25% chance they retain first overall pick. I'm fairly confident that Jones is going first overall pick, no matter who's making the pick.

My order of preference is:

1. Jones
2./3. Drouin / MacKinnon (Would probably take MacKinnon before Drouin, but )
4. Barkov
5./6./7. Nichushkin / Monahan / Lindholm (maybe that order but would be happy with any)
Oh so the lottery will determine the 1st overall only right? 2nd and 3rd will still be determined by standings?

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
Oh so the lottery will determine the 1st overall only right? 2nd and 3rd will still be determined by standings?
Winner of the lottery gets 1st overall. Everyone else gets bumped back a spot, unless the winner is already the last place team.

So, if you finish last you are guaranteed a top 2 pick. If you finished 2nd last, you're guaranteed a top 3 pick. So forth and so on.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:20 PM
JMecc
#FireLowe

Oiler fan but I come in peace. I don't see this as a 1-yr rebuild though where a good center brings you back into contention. This will be a few years of top-5 picks, so starting with the longer to develop parts (like defencemen) is a good idea if available. If Jones is available, you should take him.

You have to go with BPA. Unlike most years however now a D actually is the BPA (IMO, but at least it's debatable), so lucky you. Start with a D that will take 2-3 years more development than the forwards you'll pick the next 2 years and they'll all hit their stride together for a triumphant return to the playoffs. If you start with a C/F, then trying to get young D will take too long and thus you can only use trades or free agents, which is certainly not ideal.

JMecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Kranix

vCash: 471
They should not have done the lottery this way in a shortened season. There's a lot of teams that are not going to finish where they are meant to over 82 games. What if St. Louis misses on the last day by a point and then miraculously wins the lottery and gets Jones. I mean hey, common.

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote