HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Blocked Shots: 4th
Shots Against/G: 7th (STL, LAK, NJD, CHI, NSH, MTL, PHI, BOS - pretty solid company)
Goals Against/G: 24th (WIN, PHI, NYI, CAR, DAL, COL, FLA, CGY - not so much)

Meanwhile...

Bryzgalov's Save Percentage: 55th
team MVP..

Old
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz isn't really winning games most of the time; let's not give him credit he hasn't earned. Far too often the team has to bail him out and outscore his mistakes. Tonight, for instance, he owes a few guys beers. And last night, as well. His running tab must be getting pricey.
There have been 4 or 5 games this year where Bryz has given up 2 goals and the team lost. There have been plenty of games this year he has kept this team in the game and they werent able to pull it out. There have been games where the team in front of him just flat out stopped playing and left him out to dry. Tack on a few more games where Bryz stole the game for them. Those games add up far more than the games the team bailed him out.

I dont disagree that Bryz hasnt been sharp the last three games and that his teammates bailed him out a bit (esp against MTL)...but to make it sound like Bryz hasnt had any positive impact on this team this season is a bit ridiculous. Yes, with his contract, amnestying him should be in question...but the amount of hate this guy gets is unbelievable.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
There have been 4 or 5 games this year where Bryz has given up 2 goals and the team lost. There have been plenty of games this year he has kept this team in the game and they werent able to pull it out. There have been games where the team in front of him just flat out stopped playing and left him out to dry. Tack on a few more games where Bryz stole the game for them. Those games add up far more than the games the team bailed him out.

I dont disagree that Bryz hasnt been sharp the last three games and that his teammates bailed him out a bit (esp against MTL)...but to make it sound like Bryz hasnt had any positive impact on this team this season is a bit ridiculous. Yes, with his contract, amnestying him should be in question...but the amount of hate this guy gets is unbelievable.
He's stolen what...3 games this year? 4?

Compared to the amount of work he's given the team since Feb 9, it doesn't equal out.

I've never said he never had any positive impact. He was very strong to start the year, for 2 weeks he was one of the best in the NHL. Since then, his strong starts have been few and far between, and inconsistency has been the name of the game.

04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I hate to revisit this, at the time I was in the 'who gives a **** about him' side of the argument, but I would actually quite like to see us sign Sunshine, seen a few games of his this season and he looks the real deal, ofc that is on bigger ice, different quality of league etc.

Antti Raanta could be a better one to pick up... but doubt heavily we have the chance.

In my mind both look like they could play in the NHL, though tbh a few seasons back Niko Hovinen looked like he had the potential... though his success had only been short term.

I know Stolarz is coming through, but he is a few years away... but if they did buy out Bryz (I don't think they will) one of these guys could be a great pickup for free. (and I don't think they will even if Bryz is gone!)

Old
04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's stolen what...3 games this year? 4?

Compared to the amount of work he's given the team since Feb 9, it doesn't equal out.

I've never said he never had any positive impact. He was very strong to start the year, for 2 weeks he was one of the best in the NHL. Since then, his strong starts have been few and far between, and inconsistency has been the name of the game.
Though it doesn't say much - all in all, he has been one of the best players on our team this year (as a whole). He's played behind 11 different defensemen. Yeah his contract is bad but who doesn't Homer sign to a bad contract? For two seasons here, last season being his first and he was average at best and this season being shortened with inconsistent D and a lack of offense...is he REALLY the biggest problem?

And don't make a career-long commitment to him and bring in another guy to share the load, instead keep your commitments and build up the D around him.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Though it doesn't say much - all in all, he has been one of the best players on our team this year (as a whole). He's played behind 11 different defensemen. Yeah his contract is bad but who doesn't Homer sign to a bad contract? For two seasons here, last season being his first and he was average at best and this season being shortened with inconsistent D and a lack of offense...is he REALLY the biggest problem?

And don't make a career-long commitment to him and bring in another guy to share the load, instead keep your commitments and build up the D around him.
That is ********.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

I won't even bother with the assessment that he's been one of our best players. It's just not true.

He's not the biggest problem, but his contract makes him a huge problem. Just like Briere; Briere isn't the problem either, but he sure is a big one.

Here's the thing; is he really worth the long term commitment? He isn't worth his cap hit now, in what should still be his prime years. Even when the team is playing fantastically defensively (the Montreal game) it's entirely possible he'll buckle anyways. What will he be like when he's declining when he's 36? I wouldn't bother sculpting a team around him, because even when he is protected well it's no guarantee. If this management is smart, they'll realize he isn't the solution and rid themselves of his contract this offseason or next. He might only be here for one more season. I wouldn't bother sculpting even more of the team for him.

Remember, they brought in several stay-at-home Dmen this year, and it just didn't work out with the forwards and their abilities (neither is well suited for the system which best benefits the others skills), and the coach with his style. Exactly how much do we want to tinker with the team to cover for Bryzgalov, when overall it's probably easier to acknowledge he isn't the answer, and resume the Sisyphean task that is our goalie search?

I'd prefer that to being chained to his contract for more time. As bad as Briere's contract has been, such a deal can be even worse when the dead weight is in net. Bad skaters can drag down the team, but not as fast as bad goaltending.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Thank goodness someone making the same argument. The worst thing about all of this is the fact that Homer constantly makes these "franchise player" type of contract agreements then goes and hides. When he went and gave Bryz the big contract it was like a statement of "You are our goalie for the rest of your career," and if that is the case, BUILD AROUND HIM. Build the D around him.

Don't go get a weak, overpaid guy from CBJ that you tell the media, "He's one of two." Just letting Bryz know after 1 bad/less than average season and a shortened season with one of the worst Defensive situations that he is going to share the load with a guy who had one good year...that's how u fix goaltending.

It's so frustrating
it is. I'm still glad that we signed him (not to that contract) and made the moves what i thought were to build around a goalie. that hasn't happened. we did try to make some major moves ( suter and weber) and we still are but that's how it is here. people would rather blame one guy for everything than look at all the problems we created by not only going with a lot of young unproven talent, but by losing the one major player (pronger)this team was built around. people can say he was old but he was still one of the best in the game and it looked to be like we were trying to get a solid 3 or 4 more years out of him. add in the injuries and inconsistency and there's your reasons. Bryzgalov is a better goalie than he's been here but i still think he's been good. his confidence went into the toilet at some point and he's had to work to get back but the people that hate him are not changing their minds anytime soon. His contract is murder tho. if he was signed for like 30m for 6 years i'd be fine with him but it really is just too much. we'll get another year out of him tho. he's not going anywhere yet. i like that we tried tho. i still think holmgren and laviolette will get us back on track.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Not exactly. That close in, one would expect a forward to try to do a quick stick-handle around or just power it through. It wasn't the right strategy and he obviously could have played it better, but I can understand why Bryzgalov went paddle-down. It was quite a snipe by JvR.
not really. that's why you keep your left leg up so you can use it to push off if in fact he does make that move. you aren't going to save **** when your glove is stuck below your pad. goaltending101

Old
04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
not really. that's why you keep your left leg up so you can use it to push off if in fact he does make that move. you aren't going to save **** when your glove is stuck below your pad. goaltending101
watch it again that was a good goal by jvr. most would go for a stuffer

Old
04-05-2013, 01:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I didn't have a problem with the JVR goal. The first goal his positioning on that was horrible. If he was some what in his crease he might been able to prevent that. The Liles goal while it was screened Bryz just stood there doing nothing didn't even try to look around the screen. It seems like most goals that go in on screens Bryz does this. He just hopes like hell the puck hits him or misses the net. I barely even see him trying to look around screens most of the time.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
watch it again that was a good goal by jvr. most would go for a stuffer
watch it again. look where his glove is on the play. below his pad. lot of good there. play that like a normal goalie and its an easy save

Old
04-05-2013, 02:12 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I didn't have a problem with the JVR goal. The first goal his positioning on that was horrible. If he was some what in his crease he might been able to prevent that. The Liles goal while it was screened Bryz just stood there doing nothing didn't even try to look around the screen. It seems like most goals that go in on screens Bryz does this. He just hopes like hell the puck hits him or misses the net. I barely even see him trying to look around screens most of the time.
I've noticed this too.. Most goalies you'll see bob and weave to get a look at the puck when they're screened. Seems like Bryz ALWAYS just sits there and hopes he'll see it coming.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I've noticed this too.. Most goalies you'll see bob and weave to get a look at the puck when they're screened. Seems like Bryz ALWAYS just sits there and hopes he'll see it coming.
He has to since he's so dependent on positioning. His awareness is horrible, his athleticism is average at best, and his reflexes are horrible. If he has to go off balance even the slightest bit to peek around a defender then he's out of position and unable to recover.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
goalies can do that if they have good reaction speed and awareness. Bryz has neither, yet he continues to deal with screens that way

Old
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
ahthorne

Bryzgalov is a very positional-reliant goaltender. That's why Phoenix was so good for him, because they limit the quality chances, clear rebounds and have some good puck moving defensemen to limit zone time. Keith Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league in terms of moving the puck up ice.

The Flyers get hemmed in their zone a lot, causing a lot of puck movement and opportunities to test Bryz's movement. Usually Bryzgalov is good positionally but we've seen him out of position a few times and that usually leads to a goal. Not to mention breakaways and odd-man rushes are really the death of Bryzgalov. The Flyers need a goalie who is both good positionally, very aware and has the athleticism to react! Those grow on trees right?

Old
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
The Flyers need a goalie who is both good positionally, very aware and has the athleticism to react! Those grow on trees right?
no they just trade goalies with those attributes....

Old
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Bryzgalov is a very positional-reliant goaltender. That's why Phoenix was so good for him, because they limit the quality chances, clear rebounds and have some good puck moving defensemen to limit zone time. Keith Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league in terms of moving the puck up ice.

The Flyers get hemmed in their zone a lot, causing a lot of puck movement and opportunities to test Bryz's movement. Usually Bryzgalov is good positionally but we've seen him out of position a few times and that usually leads to a goal. Not to mention breakaways and odd-man rushes are really the death of Bryzgalov. The Flyers need a goalie who is both good positionally, very aware and has the athleticism to react! Those grow on trees right?

Yeah, I was gonna add Bryz doesn't have the athleticism that the flyers need in their goalie with the type of system they play, IMO.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
mantis toboggan

I want to see mason start next game. I know everyone says he is one of the worst goalies in the league but he did have a fantastic first year. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good and he can go back to, or at least close to how he played in his rookie year. Yes, it is a longshot, but there's still a chance.

At this point I'm willing to try anything because I really can't stand bryzgalov anymore. During games i get the feeling that everytime a player takes a shot on him, no matter where it is taken from, it has a good chance of going in. And I am pretty sure the rest of the team feels the same way I do. The soft goals are so disheartening, and they happen way to often.

No wonder this team doesn't have any confidence. They know that no matter how hard they play there is a good chance bryz will give away the game by letting in a goal that should be stopped.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
I want to see mason start next game. I know everyone says he is one of the worst goalies in the league but he did have a fantastic first year. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good and he can go back to, or at least close to how he played in his rookie year. Yes, it is a longshot, but there's still a chance.

At this point I'm willing to try anything because I really can't stand bryzgalov anymore. During games i get the feeling that everytime a player takes a shot on him, no matter where it is taken from, it has a good chance of going in. And I am pretty sure the rest of the team feels the same way I do. The soft goals are so disheartening, and they happen way to often.

No wonder this team doesn't have any confidence. They know that no matter how hard they play there is a good chance bryz will give away the game by letting in a goal that should be stopped.
I'm curious to see Mason start a game too. I'm not expecting a lot from him but I'm willing to try just about anybody in net at this point. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see Mason until we lose a game.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Stranger Danger
the

eh, I thought Bryz kept the Flyers in it at the end there. Not commenting on any of the goals , just saying he seemed good enough when he needed to be last night.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Eh, I have no expectations for Mason.

He strikes me as yet another goalie "project." Homer really loves his projects. Emery, Leighton, and Bob have all fallen in that category. Perhaps you can lump Hovinen in there as well, I guess.

Edit: Oh, apparently we're both going to start out posts with "eh"

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 05:07 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
watch it again. look where his glove is on the play. below his pad. lot of good there. play that like a normal goalie and its an easy save
dude. i watched it again. what your proposing he did is just weird. i guess you wanted him to hug the post and have his glove awkward up covering that top corner? he was in a position to cover the post and get his glove on it to freeze or be able to balance if jvr tried to go in front. we disagree. it was a nice shot by a goal scorer. Wah! we won, Wah!

Old
04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Who wants to bet well keep winning until we play the Rags and Devils in which our O will net 2-3 goals in each respective game, the BUM will let in 3+ our offense will get blamed for slowing down.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Thank goodness someone making the same argument. The worst thing about all of this is the fact that Homer constantly makes these "franchise player" type of contract agreements then goes and hides. When he went and gave Bryz the big contract it was like a statement of "You are our goalie for the rest of your career," and if that is the case, BUILD AROUND HIM. Build the D around him.

Don't go get a weak, overpaid guy from CBJ that you tell the media, "He's one of two." Just letting Bryz know after 1 bad/less than average season and a shortened season with one of the worst Defensive situations that he is going to share the load with a guy who had one good year...that's how u fix goaltending.

It's so frustrating
Are you serious???? Build around Bryzgalov??? That might have been the funniest things I have heard.

I am dumbfounded that there are people still defending this guy and I cannot wait till he is bought out this summer. It's been said on other Flyer boards that the Bryz contract might be the worst UFA contract ever given out.

Closed Thread