HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
  #951
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Blocked Shots: 4th
Shots Against/G: 7th (STL, LAK, NJD, CHI, NSH, MTL, PHI, BOS - pretty solid company)
Goals Against/G: 24th (WIN, PHI, NYI, CAR, DAL, COL, FLA, CGY - not so much)

Meanwhile...

Bryzgalov's Save Percentage: 55th
team MVP..

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
  #952
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz isn't really winning games most of the time; let's not give him credit he hasn't earned. Far too often the team has to bail him out and outscore his mistakes. Tonight, for instance, he owes a few guys beers. And last night, as well. His running tab must be getting pricey.
There have been 4 or 5 games this year where Bryz has given up 2 goals and the team lost. There have been plenty of games this year he has kept this team in the game and they werent able to pull it out. There have been games where the team in front of him just flat out stopped playing and left him out to dry. Tack on a few more games where Bryz stole the game for them. Those games add up far more than the games the team bailed him out.

I dont disagree that Bryz hasnt been sharp the last three games and that his teammates bailed him out a bit (esp against MTL)...but to make it sound like Bryz hasnt had any positive impact on this team this season is a bit ridiculous. Yes, with his contract, amnestying him should be in question...but the amount of hate this guy gets is unbelievable.

Mota is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
  #953
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,728
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
There have been 4 or 5 games this year where Bryz has given up 2 goals and the team lost. There have been plenty of games this year he has kept this team in the game and they werent able to pull it out. There have been games where the team in front of him just flat out stopped playing and left him out to dry. Tack on a few more games where Bryz stole the game for them. Those games add up far more than the games the team bailed him out.

I dont disagree that Bryz hasnt been sharp the last three games and that his teammates bailed him out a bit (esp against MTL)...but to make it sound like Bryz hasnt had any positive impact on this team this season is a bit ridiculous. Yes, with his contract, amnestying him should be in question...but the amount of hate this guy gets is unbelievable.
He's stolen what...3 games this year? 4?

Compared to the amount of work he's given the team since Feb 9, it doesn't equal out.

I've never said he never had any positive impact. He was very strong to start the year, for 2 weeks he was one of the best in the NHL. Since then, his strong starts have been few and far between, and inconsistency has been the name of the game.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  #954
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,629
vCash: 165
I hate to revisit this, at the time I was in the 'who gives a **** about him' side of the argument, but I would actually quite like to see us sign Sunshine, seen a few games of his this season and he looks the real deal, ofc that is on bigger ice, different quality of league etc.

Antti Raanta could be a better one to pick up... but doubt heavily we have the chance.

In my mind both look like they could play in the NHL, though tbh a few seasons back Niko Hovinen looked like he had the potential... though his success had only been short term.

I know Stolarz is coming through, but he is a few years away... but if they did buy out Bryz (I don't think they will) one of these guys could be a great pickup for free. (and I don't think they will even if Bryz is gone!)

Appleyard is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 12:43 PM
  #955
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's stolen what...3 games this year? 4?

Compared to the amount of work he's given the team since Feb 9, it doesn't equal out.

I've never said he never had any positive impact. He was very strong to start the year, for 2 weeks he was one of the best in the NHL. Since then, his strong starts have been few and far between, and inconsistency has been the name of the game.
Though it doesn't say much - all in all, he has been one of the best players on our team this year (as a whole). He's played behind 11 different defensemen. Yeah his contract is bad but who doesn't Homer sign to a bad contract? For two seasons here, last season being his first and he was average at best and this season being shortened with inconsistent D and a lack of offense...is he REALLY the biggest problem?

And don't make a career-long commitment to him and bring in another guy to share the load, instead keep your commitments and build up the D around him.

FlyersMania2 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
  #956
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Though it doesn't say much - all in all, he has been one of the best players on our team this year (as a whole). He's played behind 11 different defensemen. Yeah his contract is bad but who doesn't Homer sign to a bad contract? For two seasons here, last season being his first and he was average at best and this season being shortened with inconsistent D and a lack of offense...is he REALLY the biggest problem?

And don't make a career-long commitment to him and bring in another guy to share the load, instead keep your commitments and build up the D around him.
That is ********.

CS is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
  #957
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,728
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Though it doesn't say much - all in all, he has been one of the best players on our team this year (as a whole). He's played behind 11 different defensemen. Yeah his contract is bad but who doesn't Homer sign to a bad contract? For two seasons here, last season being his first and he was average at best and this season being shortened with inconsistent D and a lack of offense...is he REALLY the biggest problem?

And don't make a career-long commitment to him and bring in another guy to share the load, instead keep your commitments and build up the D around him.
I won't even bother with the assessment that he's been one of our best players. It's just not true.

He's not the biggest problem, but his contract makes him a huge problem. Just like Briere; Briere isn't the problem either, but he sure is a big one.

Here's the thing; is he really worth the long term commitment? He isn't worth his cap hit now, in what should still be his prime years. Even when the team is playing fantastically defensively (the Montreal game) it's entirely possible he'll buckle anyways. What will he be like when he's declining when he's 36? I wouldn't bother sculpting a team around him, because even when he is protected well it's no guarantee. If this management is smart, they'll realize he isn't the solution and rid themselves of his contract this offseason or next. He might only be here for one more season. I wouldn't bother sculpting even more of the team for him.

Remember, they brought in several stay-at-home Dmen this year, and it just didn't work out with the forwards and their abilities (neither is well suited for the system which best benefits the others skills), and the coach with his style. Exactly how much do we want to tinker with the team to cover for Bryzgalov, when overall it's probably easier to acknowledge he isn't the answer, and resume the Sisyphean task that is our goalie search?

I'd prefer that to being chained to his contract for more time. As bad as Briere's contract has been, such a deal can be even worse when the dead weight is in net. Bad skaters can drag down the team, but not as fast as bad goaltending.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
  #958
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Thank goodness someone making the same argument. The worst thing about all of this is the fact that Homer constantly makes these "franchise player" type of contract agreements then goes and hides. When he went and gave Bryz the big contract it was like a statement of "You are our goalie for the rest of your career," and if that is the case, BUILD AROUND HIM. Build the D around him.

Don't go get a weak, overpaid guy from CBJ that you tell the media, "He's one of two." Just letting Bryz know after 1 bad/less than average season and a shortened season with one of the worst Defensive situations that he is going to share the load with a guy who had one good year...that's how u fix goaltending.

It's so frustrating
it is. I'm still glad that we signed him (not to that contract) and made the moves what i thought were to build around a goalie. that hasn't happened. we did try to make some major moves ( suter and weber) and we still are but that's how it is here. people would rather blame one guy for everything than look at all the problems we created by not only going with a lot of young unproven talent, but by losing the one major player (pronger)this team was built around. people can say he was old but he was still one of the best in the game and it looked to be like we were trying to get a solid 3 or 4 more years out of him. add in the injuries and inconsistency and there's your reasons. Bryzgalov is a better goalie than he's been here but i still think he's been good. his confidence went into the toilet at some point and he's had to work to get back but the people that hate him are not changing their minds anytime soon. His contract is murder tho. if he was signed for like 30m for 6 years i'd be fine with him but it really is just too much. we'll get another year out of him tho. he's not going anywhere yet. i like that we tried tho. i still think holmgren and laviolette will get us back on track.

funghoul is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
  #959
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Not exactly. That close in, one would expect a forward to try to do a quick stick-handle around or just power it through. It wasn't the right strategy and he obviously could have played it better, but I can understand why Bryzgalov went paddle-down. It was quite a snipe by JvR.
not really. that's why you keep your left leg up so you can use it to push off if in fact he does make that move. you aren't going to save **** when your glove is stuck below your pad. goaltending101

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
  #960
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
not really. that's why you keep your left leg up so you can use it to push off if in fact he does make that move. you aren't going to save **** when your glove is stuck below your pad. goaltending101
watch it again that was a good goal by jvr. most would go for a stuffer

funghoul is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  #961
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 500
I didn't have a problem with the JVR goal. The first goal his positioning on that was horrible. If he was some what in his crease he might been able to prevent that. The Liles goal while it was screened Bryz just stood there doing nothing didn't even try to look around the screen. It seems like most goals that go in on screens Bryz does this. He just hopes like hell the puck hits him or misses the net. I barely even see him trying to look around screens most of the time.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  #962
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
watch it again that was a good goal by jvr. most would go for a stuffer
watch it again. look where his glove is on the play. below his pad. lot of good there. play that like a normal goalie and its an easy save

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:12 PM
  #963
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I didn't have a problem with the JVR goal. The first goal his positioning on that was horrible. If he was some what in his crease he might been able to prevent that. The Liles goal while it was screened Bryz just stood there doing nothing didn't even try to look around the screen. It seems like most goals that go in on screens Bryz does this. He just hopes like hell the puck hits him or misses the net. I barely even see him trying to look around screens most of the time.
I've noticed this too.. Most goalies you'll see bob and weave to get a look at the puck when they're screened. Seems like Bryz ALWAYS just sits there and hopes he'll see it coming.

blinds is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
  #964
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I've noticed this too.. Most goalies you'll see bob and weave to get a look at the puck when they're screened. Seems like Bryz ALWAYS just sits there and hopes he'll see it coming.
He has to since he's so dependent on positioning. His awareness is horrible, his athleticism is average at best, and his reflexes are horrible. If he has to go off balance even the slightest bit to peek around a defender then he's out of position and unable to recover.

dawkins121 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
  #965
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,895
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I've noticed this too.. Most goalies you'll see bob and weave to get a look at the puck when they're screened. Seems like Bryz ALWAYS just sits there and hopes he'll see it coming.
goalies can do that if they have good reaction speed and awareness. Bryz has neither, yet he continues to deal with screens that way

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
  #966
ahthorne
Registered User
 
ahthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Bryzgalov is a very positional-reliant goaltender. That's why Phoenix was so good for him, because they limit the quality chances, clear rebounds and have some good puck moving defensemen to limit zone time. Keith Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league in terms of moving the puck up ice.

The Flyers get hemmed in their zone a lot, causing a lot of puck movement and opportunities to test Bryz's movement. Usually Bryzgalov is good positionally but we've seen him out of position a few times and that usually leads to a goal. Not to mention breakaways and odd-man rushes are really the death of Bryzgalov. The Flyers need a goalie who is both good positionally, very aware and has the athleticism to react! Those grow on trees right?

ahthorne is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:47 PM
  #967
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
The Flyers need a goalie who is both good positionally, very aware and has the athleticism to react! Those grow on trees right?
no they just trade goalies with those attributes....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  #968
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Bryzgalov is a very positional-reliant goaltender. That's why Phoenix was so good for him, because they limit the quality chances, clear rebounds and have some good puck moving defensemen to limit zone time. Keith Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league in terms of moving the puck up ice.

The Flyers get hemmed in their zone a lot, causing a lot of puck movement and opportunities to test Bryz's movement. Usually Bryzgalov is good positionally but we've seen him out of position a few times and that usually leads to a goal. Not to mention breakaways and odd-man rushes are really the death of Bryzgalov. The Flyers need a goalie who is both good positionally, very aware and has the athleticism to react! Those grow on trees right?

Yeah, I was gonna add Bryz doesn't have the athleticism that the flyers need in their goalie with the type of system they play, IMO.

Sniped is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  #969
mantis toboggan
Registered User
 
mantis toboggan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
I want to see mason start next game. I know everyone says he is one of the worst goalies in the league but he did have a fantastic first year. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good and he can go back to, or at least close to how he played in his rookie year. Yes, it is a longshot, but there's still a chance.

At this point I'm willing to try anything because I really can't stand bryzgalov anymore. During games i get the feeling that everytime a player takes a shot on him, no matter where it is taken from, it has a good chance of going in. And I am pretty sure the rest of the team feels the same way I do. The soft goals are so disheartening, and they happen way to often.

No wonder this team doesn't have any confidence. They know that no matter how hard they play there is a good chance bryz will give away the game by letting in a goal that should be stopped.

mantis toboggan is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
  #970
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
I want to see mason start next game. I know everyone says he is one of the worst goalies in the league but he did have a fantastic first year. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good and he can go back to, or at least close to how he played in his rookie year. Yes, it is a longshot, but there's still a chance.

At this point I'm willing to try anything because I really can't stand bryzgalov anymore. During games i get the feeling that everytime a player takes a shot on him, no matter where it is taken from, it has a good chance of going in. And I am pretty sure the rest of the team feels the same way I do. The soft goals are so disheartening, and they happen way to often.

No wonder this team doesn't have any confidence. They know that no matter how hard they play there is a good chance bryz will give away the game by letting in a goal that should be stopped.
I'm curious to see Mason start a game too. I'm not expecting a lot from him but I'm willing to try just about anybody in net at this point. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see Mason until we lose a game.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 04:33 PM
  #971
Stranger Danger
the
 
Stranger Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lanc. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
eh, I thought Bryz kept the Flyers in it at the end there. Not commenting on any of the goals , just saying he seemed good enough when he needed to be last night.

Stranger Danger is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
  #972
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,728
vCash: 156
Eh, I have no expectations for Mason.

He strikes me as yet another goalie "project." Homer really loves his projects. Emery, Leighton, and Bob have all fallen in that category. Perhaps you can lump Hovinen in there as well, I guess.

Edit: Oh, apparently we're both going to start out posts with "eh"


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 05:07 PM
  #973
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
watch it again. look where his glove is on the play. below his pad. lot of good there. play that like a normal goalie and its an easy save
dude. i watched it again. what your proposing he did is just weird. i guess you wanted him to hug the post and have his glove awkward up covering that top corner? he was in a position to cover the post and get his glove on it to freeze or be able to balance if jvr tried to go in front. we disagree. it was a nice shot by a goal scorer. Wah! we won, Wah!

funghoul is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
  #974
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
Who wants to bet well keep winning until we play the Rags and Devils in which our O will net 2-3 goals in each respective game, the BUM will let in 3+ our offense will get blamed for slowing down.

hckyplayer8 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  #975
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Thank goodness someone making the same argument. The worst thing about all of this is the fact that Homer constantly makes these "franchise player" type of contract agreements then goes and hides. When he went and gave Bryz the big contract it was like a statement of "You are our goalie for the rest of your career," and if that is the case, BUILD AROUND HIM. Build the D around him.

Don't go get a weak, overpaid guy from CBJ that you tell the media, "He's one of two." Just letting Bryz know after 1 bad/less than average season and a shortened season with one of the worst Defensive situations that he is going to share the load with a guy who had one good year...that's how u fix goaltending.

It's so frustrating
Are you serious???? Build around Bryzgalov??? That might have been the funniest things I have heard.

I am dumbfounded that there are people still defending this guy and I cannot wait till he is bought out this summer. It's been said on other Flyer boards that the Bryz contract might be the worst UFA contract ever given out.

spudnick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.