HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Justin Schultz

Old
04-04-2013, 05:58 AM
TheNuge

vCash: 500
Justin Schultz

After watching last nights romp over calgary and the win at home against calgary..
This kid is a stud, watching him quarterback the powerplay he was unreal, I give him a few years and he will be one of the top offensive defenseman in the league..

I can see the kids (Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, RNH, Schultz ) Leading us to the WC playoffs, and being a dark horse threat this year!

Side Note:
He is tied for the AHL rookie scoring league...in a league he hasnt played in since January LOL

Ill give the oilers there due, but its been a long ride for fans for this.

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
FlyingV

Lets just worry about making the playoffs before any playoff run discussion. Still a long road ahead this month.

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Watching last nights game, I was worried about what the top teams that we are playing were likely scouting though. He's the only guy standing on the blue-line, and he's a rookie who still fumbles the puck once in a while. They're going to have someone skilled pressuring him, trying to get a breakout play off of him.

Not to be a total downer, I think the kid is a stud, but it was worrying me.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Watching last nights game, I was worried about what the top teams that we are playing were likely scouting though. He's the only guy standing on the blue-line, and he's a rookie who still fumbles the puck once in a while. They're going to have someone skilled pressuring him, trying to get a breakout play off of him.

Not to be a total downer, I think the kid is a stud, but it was worrying me.
I don't think he fumbles the puck more than anyone else. The only times I remember him doing so are when he gets a tough pass that anyone could fumble.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

He made an ass of himself on both pf the flames goals, but I can let that go after his offensive performance later on.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
J.Schultz looks to be done for the year when it comes to defensive zone...

Dont blame the kid... Jumping from playing 40 games\ season in University to playing almost that many in AHL and then 30 more in NHL...

Probably sounds crazy but I think we should move him up on the wing for rest of the season.. The kid is as skilled as any of our forwards when it comes to offense.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
actionjackson

Handled the puck like a hand grenade a LOT last night...and was directly responsible for one of the two Calgary goals by losing his defensive assignment in the corner (Glencross I think, skated out of the corner untouched with Schultz having a mental breakdown in the corner).

I am not confident that he can be a GREAT defender this year in the playoffs if we make it...but his offensive upside is obvious and I am really happy that we have this guy...my only worry is that he loses confidence because we rely on him to do more than should be expected of a rookie.

Love this guy though.

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Beerfish

Find him a proper D partner and he will flourish.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Probably sounds crazy but I think we should move him up on the wing for rest of the season.. The kid is as skilled as any of our forwards when it comes to offense.
yes, yes it does.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
actionjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Agreed...I would panic too if I knew that I was the only one capable of moving the puck out of my own end.

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Everest

Its amazing how much he demands the puck. He is ALWAYS open and linemates seem to feed him non-stop. Almost too much at times. There were a few sloppy plays forced towards him last night for sure.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Bushwick Bill

I don't think his defense has been awful at all and N.Schultz being better lately has helped too

The glencross goal was bad tho last night but that's going to happen. He can get caught watching the play and not moving his feet but I'm sure he will improve. He has been playing a lot more hockey this year then he's used to. Wasn't Nelson playing him close to 30 mins a night in okc?

I've been pleasantly surprised with his defense this year, especially his stick work and the ability to recover

Bushwick Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 02:27 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
is schultz the oilers #1 D for the future?

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:04 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Disagree. Despite everyone blaiming Nick for everything, Justin has often been the worse of the 2. A better partner would definitely make it easier on him though

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
assuming he keeps developing his d zone game yes, at worst he is going to be a offensive stud that can still play some d... he's top pairing either way...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Nick, yes.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
He doesnt have to be in terms of going against the toughest competition..
He should be leading the Dmen in TOI though..

Smid-Petry
xxxx-J.Schultz

Hopefully Klefa fills the void in a year + bit .. N.Schultz should drop down to bottom pairing but makes too much to be a #6.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
He and Klefbom are going to be an unreal pairing. I'm calling it now. For those who don't think Klefbom is the real deal, just wait until next year. I never go out on a limb when it comes to calling prospects, but I'll make an exception with Klefbom. Smid, Justin S., Petry, Klefbom, Marincin (who's been a standout in OKC, leading the team in +/-)--the future looks good on the back end.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
He and Klefbom are going to be an unreal pairing. I'm calling it now. For those who don't think Klefbom is the real deal, just wait until next year. I never go out on a limb when it comes to calling prospects, but I'll make an exception with Klefbom. Smid, Justin S., Petry, Klefbom, Marincin (who's been a standout in OKC, leading the team in +/-)--the future looks good on the back end.
Klefbom's health is a concern though and he might spend portion of the season in AHL.. Having said that.. I have no doubt that he'll be a NHL regular by the end of next season..

Too bad Marincin did not get a taste of NHL this year due to our depth on D and lack of injuries (knock on wood).. Marincin-Gernat should be a good pairing in AHL for us next season...

Old
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. Despite everyone blaiming Nick for everything, Justin has often been the worse of the 2. A better partner would definitely make it easier on him though
I agree with this as well , Nick had a hard time adjusting to Oilers system earlier in the year but as of late he looks a lot better. Justin does not allways make proper pinch. I think Nick will be great if we can squeak into playoffs

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I agree with this as well , Nick had a hard time adjusting to Oilers system earlier in the year but as of late he looks a lot better. Justin does not allways make proper pinch. I think Nick will be great if we can squeak into playoffs
Nick should be paired with Whitney and Justin with Fistric...
Makes sense to me but not sure why this has not been tried...
The pairs would compliment each other nicely..

Potter has been alright and we have been winning so no rush to try it... but still..

Old
04-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Nick should be paired with Whitney and Justin with Fistric...
Makes sense to me but not sure why this has not been tried...
The pairs would compliment each other nicely..

Potter has been alright and we have been winning so no rush to try it... but still..
Yea the should try those pairings makes sense.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Handled the puck like a hand grenade a LOT last night...and was directly responsible for one of the two Calgary goals by losing his defensive assignment in the corner (Glencross I think, skated out of the corner untouched with Schultz having a mental breakdown in the corner).

I am not confident that he can be a GREAT defender this year in the playoffs if we make it...but his offensive upside is obvious and I am really happy that we have this guy...my only worry is that he loses confidence because we rely on him to do more than should be expected of a rookie.

Love this guy though.
I completely agree. His defending most nights has been atrocious...last night included.

Defensively he has been dragging down pretty much every dman he has been paired with so far but thats to be expected.

He may never be a great defender but his offensive skills are worth getting excited about. His offensive upside is indeed obvious and hopefully he can develop average defensive skills to round out his game a bit.

Not nearly as good a skater as Coffey but the rest of his game reminds me of a young Coffey including the defensive struggles.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
in the year 2525. (2017). don't want to wait that long. decent management should be able to use those assets to field a decent D-corp sooner. having to wait for Marincin is utter incompetence. why even have a manager? the Oilers have a team of managers to.... what exactly? draft and wait.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I see only darkness

Assuming nuge signs the 6 or 7 year 6 million contract like ebs and hall did this summer.

What does Justin S sign for this summer?

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote